Start by marking “The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly” as Want to Read:
The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly

The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly

Kit Sweetly slays sexism, bad bosses, and bad luck to become a knight at a medieval-themed restaurant.

Working as a wench―i.e. waitress―at a cheesy medieval-themed restaurant in the Chicago suburbs, Kit Sweetly dreams of being a knight like her brother. She has the moves, is capable on a horse, and desperately needs the raise that comes with knighthood, so she can help her
384 pages
Published May 5th 2020 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly, please sign up.
Megan Yes, there is quite a bit of language, including a few f-bombs. There is a romance sub-plot that only goes as far as kissing, but it's more than impli…moreYes, there is quite a bit of language, including a few f-bombs. There is a romance sub-plot that only goes as far as kissing, but it's more than implied through dialogue and narration that none of the characters are innocents. (less)

Start your review of The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly
jessica
this could have been a cute story i adored whole-heartedly if it wasnt the poster child for my biggest pet-peeve of all time - which is the onslaught of pop culture references in fiction. i swear my eye was twitching by the twentieth mention of game of thrones. every reference (and there are sooo many of them) took me out of the story and ensured an eye-roll. i know pop culture references arent a problem for most readers but, for me, its a deal breaker.

which is a shame because i did enjoy the m
emma
This is the most unpopular opinion in the history of the world.

This opinion is so unpopular that even I’m like “wow, this must be wrong,” and it’s MY opinion.

In fact, I strongly advise you to stop reading now, because it’s clear that I am incorrect, and me myself and I will stay over here in the dunce corner and write a review just for ourselves.

Sound good?

...

Okay, now that everyone’s gone.

I often have the same issue with feminist young adult books, where I feel like everything in the book that
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5 stars!!

It was sweet, funny, eye-opening and I loved it. The end!! 😉

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Kai
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, wholesome and slightly overdramatic - just how I like my Netflix romcoms.

The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly is a very cute and lighthearted contemporary. This is not to say that it's all smiles and hugs - it deals with poverty, parental neglect, sexism and drug abuse - but it's almost all smiles and hugs. It's a super fun concept: a medieval theme restaurant with knights on horses fighting tournaments. (I mean, I wanna go!! Make it happen!) The problem: only men are allowed to be
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book was cute and fun, but not quite what I was hoping it would be. It had a lot of good discussion about archaic gender roles and great representation of what it is like to grow up in a house where you're living paycheck to paycheck, but the rest of the book honestly felt a little.. boring? The writing was pretty average and the plot didn't do anything especially fun or risky so everything just kind of fell a little flat. I feel like this book had an amazing premise but the book as whole d ...more
Larry H

You gotta fight for your right...to be a knight. Or so it goes in The Life and Medieval Times of Kit Sweetly .

Kit is a “serving wench” at The Castle, a medieval restaurant, but what she really wants is to be a knight. Her older brother, Chris, is a knight, and she knows all of his routines really well. But company policy for the entire Castle franchise states that only guys can be knights, Game of Thrones be damned.

One night when Chris gets hurt and can’t perform, Kit puts on his
Jessica
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book for free as part of The Fantastic Flying Book Club’s Instagram tour for this book. Since I received an ARC, my quotes from the book are tentative.

This was such a fun feminist YA debut!

I liked how inclusive and diverse this book was. Kit’s best friend Layla is bisexual. One of the characters, Penny, is a transgender Serving Wench at the restaurant. There is also Alex who also works at the restaurant and goes by the pronoun, “they.” Kit’s love interest, Jett, is hal
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
“Bold, brave, saucy, and spirited.” I think Kit herself said it best here, as this book was all of those things and more. The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly is a feminist take on A Knight’s Tale that challenges gender roles and the idea that women can’t be warriors too.
Kit’s dream is to upgrade from serving wench to become a knight at the Castle, a restaurant that puts on medieval tournaments. Kit is spunky, driven and determined and I love her for it.
This story has strong family dyn
Cindy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got to read an early version of this and LOVED it. Sassy, hilarious, with both a swoony romance and fist-pumping empowerment. SO, so good!
Emma
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5/5 Stars

Full review HERE

I enjoyed reading about the main storyline of this book, which is Kit trying to fight against the company policy of her workplace. The Medieval-themed restaurant where she works won't let girls fight as knights and she's had enough of this absurdity and she's ready to put up a fight.

My issue was that apart from this storyline the others were very few and sounded a bit w
Rec-It Rachel
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
hi i love this SO much
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Trigger Warning: drug abuse, emotional abuse

Kit Sweetly is a Wench who wants to be a Knight—if only the patriarchal hegemony ruling The Castle Corporation would give her a chance to succeed. When a chance opportunity to take over for her brother leads to her revealing herself as The Girl Knight and a video of her "I am no man!" speech goes viral, Kit seizes the opportunity to allow herself—and a group of non cis male knight wannabes—her chance in the tournament grounds once and for all.

This was
Eva B.
My brain is like "yeah, it was cute and all but no more than 3 or 4 stars" but my heart is like "knights that aren't cis guys! medieval restaurant! cute romance! feminist af!" and I can't really argue with that.
Tabi  (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Apr 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
hi hello did someone mention A Knight's Tale???

description
Mike Lasagna
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I loved it.
Joan He
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
can 2020 come any sooner?
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Okay so I felt myself getting frustrated A LOT but sexism, a wanker of an uncle, double standards, deadbeat dads, people using religion as a scapegoat, and atrociously expensive post-secondary does that to a bitch (me. I am bitch).

I loved the characters. The ending was sweet. The setting was fun until you had to...interact with the staff. I have so much respect for people who grow up in that level of poverty and still manage to survive.
Caitlin
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Page Street Kids was kind enough to send me an ARC of this book, and I'm so glad they did! It is funny and fun and delightful and heartfelt and intersectional. It is somehow a cheery teen romcom romp and also a book about struggles with poverty and also about the romanticization of the Middle Ages and how that affects society. It is GREAT. Kit is a champion.
Leigh Mar
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early version of this and I couldn't put it down! Kit is full of so much heart and humor, this is such a great read!
Iris

This book was so fun!! It was geeky and feminist and funny and honestly what more could I even ask for in a book??
Also, even though it should be the standard, I really appreciated that while this book was very much a story of a cis girl challenging the cis guys, it actually like . . . recognized that and admitted that there was more nuance to it than that, and like damn all books should do that but most just . . . don't.
Fanna
May 19, 2020: Wow, I have taken almost a month to read this. This was definitely a predictable read but I mean, come on, surprises doesn't equal greatness. Definitely appreciated the feminism and unstable financial conditions that were highlighted in this one. Though, I wanted to know more about the side characters, especially Jett as a love interest and because he's half-Indian, hehe so definitely expected more but nonetheless, I'm happy about reading it. Full review to come!

April 26, 2020: Bud
Marta :}
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Many thanks to The Nerd Daily and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review this! You can find the review on The Nerd Daily as well here.

“This is about my friends and me getting a chance to be ourselves. It’s about fighting against inequality and showing the world that gender shouldn’t be a bar for any job these days. And it’s about taking a battering ram to the notion that the heroes of the Middle Ages were all men.”

Kit Sweetly has always been the girl with a plan and in th
Booksnbrains
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Great themes but left me wanting. I loved the idea of this story, a girl who wants to be a knight, in modern times. Um yes. But unfortunately while it did deliver on what was promised upon finishing i could help but feel... let down? Not sure but this didn't meet the expectations I had for this book.
While I didn't like the execution I loved the themes of this story and everything they represented. I loved the determination of not only the main character Kit but most of the other characters as w
Stephanie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a fun and sweet (pun intended) read! A contemporary story about a girl obsessed with all things medieval, this book delivers on the snark, the laughs, and the historical facts. Pacton brings to life a diverse cast of teens in a genuine and emotional story, and invites the reader to cheer them on as they fight the patriarchy. Long live the Girl Knight!
Sana
Nov 17, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
THIS SOUND SO CUTE AND EMPOWERING
Sue (BeautyBookCorner)
This was a super cute YA contemporary. Kit Sweetly works at Medieval Times-like restaurant/attraction called the Castle where she’s been a wench (server) for a few years, but really wants to be a knight like her older brother. Knights get to do fight, joust, and they make more money – something Kit is desperately in need of.

Content Warning: sexism and misogyny (always in a negative light), underage drinking and underage smoking (with little to no commentary), poverty, alcoholism, substance abuse
Ashley Martin
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Three cheers for the Girl Knight! You’ll be cheering too, for Kit and all her friends, as they fight for their right to joust! The characters are not only endearing, but broadly diverse and reflective of real life. In addition, Kit feels incredibly authentic in her struggles and dreams, high moments and lows. But more than a fun read, I walked away feeling unexpectedly challenged, made more aware of my own privilege, and feeling more understanding of the struggle to get by on double shifts and a ...more
Kat (from Minas Morgul)
review on my blog Kat from Minas Morgul

the good:
- feminist
- swords
- fun
- LOTR quotes
- pool noodles as swords
- swords
- medieval facts
- swords!!!!
- queer characters
- the sweetest romance
- so fun
- did I mention the LOTR quotes?
- and the swords?
- good portrayal of people being poor
- fighting sexism
- wonderful friendships
- SWORDS AND KNIGHTS

the bad:
- ?
nitya
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alaina
Who says a girl can't be a knight?

The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly was such a fun book to listen to! I absolutely adored everything about this and all the characters within it. Well, maybe not her uncle, her dad, or those two douche knights but everyone else was amazing in my eyes.

To the characters I loved - Kit, Penny, Layla, Jett, Alex, Chris, and the rest of girl knights - thank you for being so diverse and completely wonderful throughout the book. Yes, this book did have some dra

• Verona Comics
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • What I Like About You
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • The Voting Booth
  • Bloom
  • The Princess Will Save You (The Princess Will Save You, #1)
  • Bookish and the Beast (Once Upon a Con, #3)
  • Midsummer's Mayhem
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • The Henna Wars

Articles featuring this book

Recent events have been especially tough on debut authors, with bookstores closed and book tours canceled. So we're rounding up a list of hit you...