Start by marking “The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly” as Want to Read:
The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly

The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly

Moxie meets A Knight’s Tale as Kit Sweetly slays sexism, bad bosses, and bad luck to become a knight at a medieval-themed restaurant.

Working as a wench―i.e. waitress―at a cheesy medieval-themed restaurant in the Chicago suburbs, Kit Sweetly dreams of being a knight like her brother. She has the moves, is capable on a horse, and desperately needs the raise that comes with
Expected publication: May 5th 2020 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly

Start your review of The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly
emma
trying not to think too much about the fact that my very first read of the year was just a liiiittle bit disappointing.

review to come / 2.5 or 3 stars

lists
banter
friendship
nerding out over history
the cutest cover i've ever seen in my life

i am ready to read.

thanks to the publisher for the ARC
♠ TABI ♠
Apr 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
hi hello did someone mention A Knight's Tale???

description
Nov 17, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
THIS SOUND SO CUTE AND EMPOWERING
Cindy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got to read an early version of this and LOVED it. Sassy, hilarious, with both a swoony romance and fist-pumping empowerment. SO, so good!
Joan He
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
can 2020 come any sooner?
Megan
Nov 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have never identified with a book blurb so much in my entire life
Mike Lasagna
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I loved it.
kit!
Oct 29, 2019 marked it as unreleased
bro that's MY name
Kalie
This was ridiculously charming and a lot of fun to read. Plus, it's refreshing to read about a protagonist from a working class family that struggles with money in YA. It shouldn't be that rare to read, but it is. Full of warmth and delight, I recommend THE LIFE AND (MEDIEVAL) TIMES OF KIT SWEETLY to anyone seeking a read that leaves them just feeling good by the time they finish.

My one criticism, however, is a small one and doesn't detract from my overall enjoyment, but man, (view spoiler)
Caitlin
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Page Street Kids was kind enough to send me an ARC of this book, and I'm so glad they did! It is funny and fun and delightful and heartfelt and intersectional. It is somehow a cheery teen romcom romp and also a book about struggles with poverty and also about the romanticization of the Middle Ages and how that affects society. It is GREAT. Kit is a champion.
Leigh Mar
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early version of this and I couldn't put it down! Kit is full of so much heart and humor, this is such a great read!
Zoey Waddell
*I received a copy of this book through NetGalley for an honest review

This book was so wonderfully different. The plot wasn't new or exciting, but I enjoyed the premise so much. The historical aspects of the medieval life that Kit included in her daily life were interesting, but I felt myself dragging through it. Her relationship with her brother Chris was one of my favorite parts. Supportive siblings is always something I can get behind in a book. I also enjoyed Kit's relationships with her
Jenny Ferguson
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual stars: 4.5

This is a really strong debut novel with some of my favourite tropes: kickass-nerdy-girls smashing the patriarchy, friends to more-than-friends, and teen work-place stories.

The world here is vibrant and diverse in all the ways, reflecting a slice of actual real life.

Kit is a strong lead character who knows what she wants and goes and gets it. I love Kit's family drama and her friends.

The class details and Kit's attempts to hide her family's poverty from her friends was
Stephanie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a fun and sweet (pun intended) read! A contemporary story about a girl obsessed with all things medieval, this book delivers on the snark, the laughs, and the historical facts. Pacton brings to life a diverse cast of teens in a genuine and emotional story, and invites the reader to cheer them on as they fight the patriarchy. Long live the Girl Knight!
Kate Welsh
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun but plenty serious too, and so satisfyingly feminist.
Kirsten
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a decent story that kept me reading. I think the author did try to have too many things going on, but that is also a bit personal preference - I'm not much for romance and based on the summary, didn't expect it, so I would have preferred more time be spent on the non-binary jousting/Medieval-themed-restaurant/creating social movements/trouble at home/bad decisions/personal growth parts of the story than the romance.
Taryn
Jan 01, 2020
Rosie
Jun 30, 2019
Jamie Pacton
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Alyssa

• The Starless Sea
  • Wilder Girls
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Mooncakes
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • Love Lettering
  • The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • Star Daughter
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #2)
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • Picture Us in the Light
  • Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)
  • Bloom
  • Imprudence (The Custard Protocol, #2)