Start by marking “Manners and Monsters” as Want to Read:

Manners and Monsters

(Manners and Monsters #1)

A lady never reveals the true extent of her decay...
Hannah Miles lives a quiet existence, helping her parents conduct research into a most terrible affliction - until a gruesome murder during her best friend's engagement party pulls her from the shadows. With her specialist's knowledge and demure disposition, Hannah is requested to aid the investigation.

Except Hannah
Published June 7th 2019

Start your review of Manners and Monsters
Yara
An enjoyable mystery with an original take on Regency England. While the story was intriguing, the pacing was slow. Having said that I do look forward to reading the second novel. I gave the book 3.5 stars
Kim
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewd
Hannah Miles wants the kind of love her parents have. It a love that surpasses death. Unfortunately, she realizes it can never happen. Viscount Wycliff is an outcast in society and has no manners to speak of. When a murder of a servant at Hannah's best friends engagement ball brings Wycliff into her life she must show him manners while he treats his suspects like monsters. Can they find a murderer before there are any more deaths? Can the quiet intelligent Hannah get Wycliff to show some ...more
Penelope
3.5 rating, explained as follows -

Ok. Wow. Manners and Monsters was weirdly different for me! I have not read any of Tilly Wallace’s earlier books. I enjoy historical mysteries, paranormal &/or romance suspense with a light touch (rather than being dark or angst-filled) and after reading Manners and Monsters’ “blurb” decided to give it a try. I find myself pondering Manners and Monsters even after I have finished it. (If I was more comfortable with the theme of the Undead as “good” main
Bethany
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
So I went into this thinking, it's another Pride and Prejudice with Zombies. (not that I really know, I've never read Pride and Prejudice or Pride, Prejudice and Zombies.) The sample on Amazon got me and I was curious to find out what happened next. And then I got around to buying it (because I couldn't get if free)... I didn't really enjoy it.
Our Heroine, I was ambivalent too. She could have been a stronger character. I get that she's tired of being a wallflower, but honestly, she's got
Sandra
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enticing, fun & full of mystery!!

Intriguing series based within the Highland Wolves' world (a debut series I loved immensely) by further exploring other 'unnaturals' such as the "Afflicted" (zombies) and Mages. Based primarily around solving the mystery of the brutal murders of servants, but has a romantic twist with the leads, both outcasts in their own way, as they are thrown together to seek clues, whilst trying hard to remain distant and not admit to a deeper connection - a spark led
Krystyna
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The French Affliction

Terrific - even though as a rule I avoid books about zombies and frankly this also pushed my limit on gore - I'm a wimp and proud of it - but this is an amazing read. The scene is society, after the war with Napoleon, and covers a curse French makes unleashed on unsuspecting victims. Females mainly who wanted to use the new face powder that was supposed to make them radiant but in fact changed them into rotting zombies. This is a mix of Regency romance, gothic, cozy and
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mercy, what a completely different read! Think Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies with a little bit of suspense, romance, and gothic and steampunk sensibilities. The women of high-society Britain have suffered from a nasty, zombie-making affliction since the close of the Napoleonic Wars; some nasty Frenchmen created an expensive face powder that made this happen. I liked the heroine; she is a strong and smart woman in an era when that is not appreciated. The hero feels relatively weak in comparison, ...more
Wendy Irving
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Weirdly perfect for Halloween season...

This book is a mix of the romance and style of Jane Austen with clinically described investigations into the gothic horror of zombie-like victims. Not a book for the squeamish. The mix of magic, curses, and humans turning into something “other” makes for bizarre twists within the world of balls, socializing-etiquette, and strict gender roles of the time period. The lead female character is likable and spunky. The lead male is a grump and mysteriously
Carol
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Tilly Wallace that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Intellectual, guarded, quiet Lady Hannah Miles has been requested to accompany Viscount Wycliffe in his investigation of the murder of a footman and subsequent others. The Viscount is brash, ill mannered, impatient and rubs Hannah the wrong way but she knows that her attendance will help smooth over the ruffled emotions that he is bound to create during the investigation, so she stays with the job. He on the other ...more
Claire
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Always looking for something new to read, and this ticks all the boxes for me.

Different and slightly weird, which as anyone who knows me that's my 'wheelhouse' where I'm most comfortable.

Zombies or the Aflicited in polite society have appeared in London. A curse invented as a weapon to be used during the war, this disease only afflicted a small number of people, who survive on Brains!! and during an engagement party, a body is found missing that most vital piece.

An investigation ensues with
Vickie
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Most Entertaining Read

I am quite fascinated by the premise of the book and look forward to any subsequent additions to the series. I am most intrigued by the statement of young Timothy to Hannah and can hardly wait to see how it affects her. I also want to see how any relationship evolves between Hannah and Wycliff. I can think of only one movie that is similar in context and that would be Pride, Prejudice and Zombies.
Thank you for sharing this most entertaining book.
Vickie Black
Tonya OK
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
More like 2.5 stars. It wasn’t terrible, it was just so bland. For a comedy/parody, it was absolutely not funny. For a mystery, it was not particularly engaging. For a romance, it wasn’t at all romantic. Add plot holes and inconsistencies, and the whole thing is just a bland mess. A “Pride and prejudice” knockoff. The writing style is ok and the story moves along at a good pace, which warrants 2.5 stars instead of 1.
Britt
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightfully creepy

I’d read the authors series about the Highland Wolves and thoroughly enjoyed them. When I saw she had a second series out... I dove at it. This wasn’t exactly what I expected but I truly enjoyed it. It reminds me of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies meets whodunnit cozy. I can’t wait to see where it goes next — I loved Hannah, and I want to see what secrets she and the Wraith have.
Kim Tough
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for anything that combines monsters and history and this was a fun quick reads. Set in Regency England it has all the balls, gowns and the 'find a husband' trope but it comes with the territory but I did enjoy how curses, magic, and monsters created the perfect problem for this mannered society. And the 'Pickled Cauliflower' was a delightful touch. Love that the main character is smart and plucky. Sometimes predictable but I enjoyed it enough that I picked up the next one.
Pat Eroh
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very riveting read with great characters and a story/plot that kept me guessing. Lots of twists to the end. This is the first time I have read anything by this author but I am looking forward to more from her especially in this series.

Konrad
Nov 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Padded with too much exposition

worse yet its the sme exposition repeated over and over and over. I've lost count of how many times I've been told the origins of zombies in this setting and I'm only on chapter 6. The author is trying to imitate the style of an Austin novelbut simply does not have enough to say about the character, or society, in order to pull it off.
Urszula
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. It has great reality. To be all prime and proper when you are looking for a killer. Haha.really funny. The characters are great too especially the dark cloud of a viscount. Well written with good plot. Definitely want more. Good read for all mystery fans with paranormal twist.

Heather Wamboldt
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story has mystery, mayhem, and monsters combined with humans and hilarity. It is a most unusual book set in the Regency era. The characters are well described (even the Afflicted) and the storyline flows nicely throughout the book. Looking forward to the next in the series.

Renée Fontenot
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new take on a strange world.

"Brains!" Ah, we're talking zombies. But in 1811, with noblemen and women. How curious. Ms. Wallace dabbled with werewolves before and did well. This is an intriguing and refined story about zombies.
M.A.SPRIGGS
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun entertaining read

This is a fun Regency/fantasy story (think zombies and magic meets Jane Austen). Engaging characters with a unique world setting and quirky sense of humour. Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Michelle Shemon
Tilly Wallace

This was such a fun book. I really enjoyed it. Hannah was great, every book needs a lead like her. IT was full of adventure and laughs, and a great storyline. Loved it!!
Marcia G. Morrione
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book which I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys an unusual monster murder mystery. It is based in Regency England and is full of monsters, Murder and mayhem. A highly enjoyable book.
Kandice
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this audiobook to be very very enjoyable. It has a great combination of mystery, murder, suspense, humor and romance. The narrator does a great job of narrating this book.

Bunnyk
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was enjoyable fun. Well-bred zombies, a heroine with an investigative bent, snd a hero who is an outcast from society for Reasons.

A fairly slow paced tale, but that doesn't detract from it in any way. I've just downloaded book 2, can't wait to have at it!
Manola Dobbs
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Manners and Monsters

I like this book. Hannah is a wonderful character. She is such a likable person. She is almost too good to be true. I look forward to the next book.
Susan Smith
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a hoot.

Well written and well rounded characters from the start. Can't wait to read the next in the series. Definitely recommend to anyone.
Karen Cotton
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a corker!

Loved the idea of monsters and the Afflicted living in Victorian times, what will happen to Miss Hannah answer family and new housemates?
Nana
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to broaden my usual genre a bit (I mostly read UF) and the idea of 'Pride and Prejudice' type of read with zombies intrigued me. I actually liked it a lot more than I thought and will read the next ones.
Megan Lembach
Nov 15, 2019
Dad
Nov 08, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please create new series 2 15 Jun 07, 2019 05:14PM

• Wyrde and Wayward (House of Werth Book 1)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • A Drop of Magic (The Magicsmith, #1)
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • Courting Darkness (The Magicsmith, #2)
  • Newly Wed and Slightly Dead (A Touch of Magic Mysteries #1)
  • The Road to Farringale (Modern Magick, #1)
  • The Thirteenth Gate (Dominion Mysteries, #2)
  • The Devil in Beauty (Lord Trevelin Mystery #1)
  • A Nefarious Engagement (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #4)
  • The Daemoniac (Gaslamp Gothic #1)
  • Hot and Haunted (Wakeman Grimore, #1)
  • A Treacherous Performance (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #5)
  • Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #1)
  • Netherfield: Rogue Dragon: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (Jane Austen's Dragons Book 3)
  • Skyclad (Fate's Anvil, #1)
  • Alchemy and Argent (Modern Magick, #9)
  • Tea & Croakies (Enchanting Inquiries #1)
Tilly drinks entirely too much coffee, likes to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and wishes she could talk to Jane Austen. Sometimes she imagines a world where the Bennet sisters lived near the Hellmouth. Possibly too much caffeine is responsible for the fanciful imagings in which monsters roam the ballrooms of Regency London and ladies of the ton are seduced by vampires and selkies.

Manners and Monsters (3 books)
  • Galvanism and Ghouls
  • Gossip and Gorgons (Manners and Monsters #3)