Start by marking “Le jeu de la préceptrice (Girl Meets Duke, #2)” as Want to Read:
Le jeu de la préceptrice (Girl Meets Duke, #2)

Le jeu de la préceptrice

(Girl Meets Duke #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  16,058 ratings  ·  2,386 reviews
Libertin notoire, Chase Reynaud se sent peu qualifié pour assurer l'éducation de ses pupilles, deux gamines aussi dissipées qu’hostiles à toute forme de discipline. D’ailleurs, aucune gouvernante ne reste plus de quarante-huit heures à son service. Mlle Alexandra Mountbatten est différente, il le pressent d'emblée. Cultivée, intelligente, passionnée. Et ce qui ne gâte rien ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Aventures et Passions, 320 pages
Published April 3rd 2019 by J'ai Lu (first published August 28th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Le jeu de la préceptrice, please sign up.
JenniK I don't think we're going to get his book. I love when authors create great side characters. I hate when authors tempt you with great side characters …moreI don't think we're going to get his book. I love when authors create great side characters. I hate when authors tempt you with great side characters but don't let you really get to know them.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
MG
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  16,058 ratings  ·  2,386 reviews

Start your review of Le jeu de la préceptrice (Girl Meets Duke, #2)
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
You are the worst example of false advertising. I was led to believe I was hiring a prim scold. Then I learn you’re remarkable and bold and interesting.”

ALL OF THE STARS!!!
All.
Of.
Them.

I absolutely LOVED The Duchess Deal, but I was so unprepared for just how phenomenal this book would be. I kept thinking nothing can top the first book for me, but this one managed to blow it right out of the water! The banter, the romance, the characters, I adored absolutely everything about it. This
Anne
Ehhhhhh.

description

I love Tessa Dare. Love her books! I stalked this one for a while and was really looking forward to it, but... I don't know. It was a bit weak somehow, especially towards the end.
Now, Tessa Dare is like Lisa Kleypas when it comes to romance novels, in my opinion.
And what I mean by that is that even one of her lesser works is still pretty darn satisfying.
Because...talent.

description

Anyway, this is a cute story about a girl who set clocks (Clocksetterperson?) who ends up governess to 2 loveable o
Warda
I wasn’t expecting anything other than pure enjoyment and to be swept away by this story and that’s exactly what I got.
I can’t help but helplessly fall in love with the stories Tessa Dare writes. Granted, the characters are somewhat interchangeable and they more or less follow the same plot line making it feel slightly, just slightly, regurgitated, but I am hooked on it every single time. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I’d happily read them all over again. These books are my happy place
Geri Reads

Tessa Dare writes my kind of romance. Her latest book proved that once again. The Governess Game is filled with relatable characters, playful banter, and a swoon-worthy romance.
"First he was merely the Bookshop Rake, but as the weeks wore on, he made a rapid ascent up the rungs of the peerage. Sir Read. Lord Literature. The Duke of Hatchard's."

When Alex Mountbatten ran (literally) into Chase Reynaud at Hatchard's book shop, she had no idea that in a few months time she would be w
Hollis
Five stars for every single one of Millicent's funerals.

"Can you tell me about their interests, or their schooling? Anything at all?"
"They've had little proper schooling, but are somehow far too clever despite it. Their interests are mischief, disease, petty thievery, and plotting crimes against the house staff."

As for the rest of this story.. meh?

Embroidery wasn't her favourite hobby, but Alex planned to stitch those words on a sampler and hang it over her bed : Seducing you would never even c
Jilly
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could also be called 40 Funerals and a Wedding. Because, there is pretty much a funeral every day. And, I loved it. I mean, sure, who doesn't love a good funeral, amIright? But, these funerals are special. And, hilarious.

Perfect eulogy.

Our hero in this book is a rake - my favorite kind of ye olde dude. Why are the rakes the ones who are the funniest and most relaxed, unlike all of the other dudes with sticks up their butts? Must be all the sex. Or, maybe the syphilis? Does that make you fun
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Hello my name is Chelsea and I am trash for Tessa dare 😅 this was SO MUCH FUN. I didn’t love it quite as much as the first book, but it was still a super solid read and I ADORED the parts that featured the characters from the previous book. My heart!
preoccupiedbybooks
Ah this was just what I needed! Funny, sweet and steamy with adorable rakes, aspiring astronomers, girl pirates, great friends and a goat 🙌This put a smile on my face, and sometimes, that's all you can ask for ❤️
Lisa
Tessa Dare's latest is one of my anticipated titles this year and it didn't disappoint!

Um...............except for the tiny part of me that expected more kinkiness ever since I read the blurb line. "He’s been a bad, bad rake—and it takes a governess to teach him a lesson"??? I mean, c'mon! There was a scene where Alexandra played pirates with her charges and then the kids tied her and Chase up and ran off, and there might be an inner monologue from one of them about tying the other up in bed AND
Aisling Zena

Review now posted 5/9/18

What an utterly delightful and effortless read! I completely adored the first book and when I saw that there was a second one and it was available to request on NetGalley I rushed to do so. Nearly broke some fingers in haste. And I was right to want it so badly. It always thrills me when I find good books and even more so when my expectations and hopes for them become reality. And for a person that hardly ever highlights, I feel like I highlighted half the book
Michelle
Delightful prose, wonderful banter and fabulous characters. Tessa Dare has exceeded all my expectations with “The Governess Game”. From the doll with an unfortunate tendency to die from horrendous diseases to inventive sandwich recipes, there is a lot of background entertainment in this story that makes it a memorable experience.

The second book in the “Girl Meets Duke” series features Alex and her “bookstore rake”, Chase. Both have their own charm and are thoroughly likeable. Their love story i
Princess under cover
It's been a dry spell in term of gobbling up books, so perhaps my expectations have become too high in the meantime, but... whatever the reason, this was not a great book for me. It helped to pass some time before bed, but I certainly didn't want to finish it in one sitting - it took several sittings and a lot of skipping to finish it. Here's why:

It started out well. I was so pleased with the Prologue. I was ready to hunker down into a witty, humorous story with extremely likable characters.

The
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
I really liked this book, but I didn't love it like book one. I found myself laughing a lot. I liked both Alex and Chase as a couple and I found them both endearing in their own way. I didn't care for the push/ pull of Alex and Chase's relationship though. Chase was what made me take a star off my rating. As charming as he was he was a bit of a chicken about his feelings. That's a huge pet peeve of mine. The fact that this book was still a 4 star read with cowardly actions is a testament to how ...more
Holly
The best part of this book was honestly all the ways Millicent died and was eulogized. You'll understand once you read this haha. This had some of Tessa Dare's humor, which I enjoyed, but I've never been a fan of the 'I can't date/marry because of (*stupid*) reasons' trope, which this book unfortunately has. Maybe it's just been a while, but I don't really remember the other two quirky female friends from the first book? However I do look forward to them, especially the crazy animal lover one wi ...more
Aoife - Bookish_Babbling
This was such a funny, sweet & obvs steamy read. I enjoyed how the MCs sparked off one another. I especially liked Alex, she was such an interesting heroine with a firm grasp on the situations she finds herself in. She kept surprising me in the best way & with her unique backstory, interesting career path + her snippy arguments with Chase were ridiculously adorkable, loved how she stood her ground despite the gulf in the social statuses and was no doormat.

Rosamund, Daisy & Barrow were such MVPs
chan ☆
A man rose to his feet for a lady, his queen, or a divine being, and she was at least one of those- if not all three

swoon, muthafuggin SWOON! what a fantastic way to kick off smutathon. i fell too hard for this book.

so what had happened was, chase is a duke and he begrudgingly cares for 2 orphans who are probably in some way related to him. 10 and 7 year old girls. after a series of strange circumstances, clock winder and aspiring astronomer alex becomes the girls' governess.

both chase and the g
Choko
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely charming and very enjoyable! The characters were likable and the story was fast and easy to read. Perfect for a restful weekend 😊. The kids and the very troubled hepples doll steal the show from beginning to end 🤗!
Jen
This second instalment was even better than the first, and is worth all of the five stars I’d given! The two little girls in this story added such a refreshing and humorous aspect to it that without them it wouldn’t have been as good! I loved how the younger girl killed her doll every night so that they would all have to join hands and surround the bed to have a funeral for the poor doll!😂😂😂

The entire book was so highly amusing that I just couldn’t put it down! I am in love with Tessa Dare’s wor
Bookphenomena (Micky)

This is a delightfully fun story, extremely light-hearted but perhaps missing a bit of seriousness and depth for me. I adored The Duchess Deal and THE GOVERNESS GAME connects well with some of the characters from that story, providing connection but also allowing it to be read as a standalone.

Alexandra (Alex) is a very unassuming heroine, I liked her but I didn’t love her. She finds herself governess for Chase’s (heir apparent to a Dukedom) two female wards. Chase reminded me a little o
Ginger
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The Governess Game only gets 3 stars from me. I wish I could have liked Chase Reynaud more as a character.

The two little girls that Chase was put in charge of were wonderful! Rosamund and Daisy made this book for me. I loved those girls!! The funerals for the doll, Millicent really made me laugh.

I really liked Alex Mountbatten as well. I loved her grit, intelligence, practical nature and her love of astronomy!

The problem with The Governess Game has to do with Chase. I wish I could have liked him
Melanie A.
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
3.5 STARS
"No one is a lost cause."
I don't know what to say here . . . maybe this:

I really wish I could round up because there were a few moments that gave me the warm fuzzies.

But I just can't do it.

Yes, there were a few warm fuzzies going on, but the characters and the plot were just too superficial for me. Except for Millicent and her many maladies, everything felt like it was being presented in black and white instead of Tessa Dare's usual technicolor.

But I guess it's true what
Saint Monique
3,5 'Cave of Carnality' stars

“You,” she sighed, “are terrible.”
“You”—he pressed his lips to her forehead—“are delicious.” He kissed her cheek. “Beautiful.” Then the corner of her lips. “Irresistible.”

I'm not sure what exactly went wrong here. I mean, the story had all the usual brilliance of Tessa's books. Amazing characters, adorable humor, swoony scenes... Alexandra was a fantastic heroine, I liked Daisy and Rosamund's mischievous antics, I loved sexy flirting between Alex and Cha
MG
4.25 astronomical (in the literal sense) yet angsty stars

Alexandra Mountbattern has met THE ONE. He has marvelous taste in reading material; he is charming; and he is so very handsome. The only problem? She doesn't know his name. For now, she refers to him as the "Bookshop Rake" because that is where she encountered him about 6 months ago while she was balancing her friend's books and holding tightly to the only second hand copy of the book about astronomy she had been hoping to find. When they
Desi
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really need to stop looking forward to book releases. This was… ok. I admittedly did laugh an above average amount so the humour is still there. But the dialogue was in no way up to par, in intelligence or snark.

Honestly, this was an odd plot from start to finish. I can’t quite put my finger on what historical setting it was meant to be (I think it claimed 1817) but it definitely was not set in any previously existing earth era.

The hero spoke very oddly, included a large number of modernisms
Sam (AMNReader)

Reread 5/14/20
I didn't anticipate reading this again. It's 3 stars, and my "rule" is a book doesn't get three stars if I want to reread it.

But sometimes you need medicine. And maybe I wouldn't put this on a brand name, premium shelf but if I need some naproxen, I'll certainly settle for acetaminophen if it's what I have.

I think what I'm saying is Tessa Dare is my medicine right now

And also, I still love this cast. I felt like Chase taking Millicent's funerals seriously were exactly what I need
Madison Warner Fairbanks
The Governess Game by Tessa Dare

Laugh out loud historical romance. The heroine was a professional clock setter forced to take a governess job at the loss of her chronometer. She has no idea how to teach or motivate her charges until she goes with an unusual slant that connects with the children. And of course, the attraction she feels for their ward is powerful and cannot be ignored.

I loved the unusual meet-cute, the heroine profession and class as well as how those each are addressed. And humo
Nicola
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Tessa Dare has rapidly become my go to when I fancy a historical romance and The Governess Game hits all the high notes.

description It’s not every day a man collides with a woman who prefers sky smudges to fairy stories.”

We met Alexandra and Chase in The Duchess Deal and, although several months have passed, Alex hasn’t forgotten the man she and her friends have christened the Bookish Rake. Lucky for her, and very much us, their paths are to cross again.

description London is rife with women who’ll happily subm
Bubu
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, read-2018, hr
3.5 stars, and read this review with a pinch of salt

I’ll admit that the The Governess Game is the only romance I’ve read in the past few months, besides the one or two other re-reads. But hey, this is Tessa Dare…my go-to feel-good author. So, I decided to pick up a newly released romance book.

If one expects a historically accurate in terms of social norms, time appropriate romance, The Governess Game is the one to avoid. But that’s not really shocking news when it comes to Tessa Dare. And befor
~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader
So good!

I loved Alex and Chase together. They get along so well! Also loved Daisy and Rosamund. They made me laugh with their antics.

I had a great time reading this book. This series is pure gold!

• Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1)
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
  • Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellen

Girl Meets Duke (4 books)
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • The Bride Bet (Girl Meets Duke, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Jen DeLuca's debut rom-com shows us all's "faire" in love and war.
“You don't need to pity me. I'm here. And I'm alive. So there's your answer, Chase. When am I giving up? I'm not. I did not give up on myself then. I am not giving up on you now." She smoothed her apron. "Now I'm going to tidy myself up, take the girls for ices, eat two of them myself, and not bring you any. When we return, I'll send Rosamund and Daisy in to visit you, and you will behave. Treat me as you like. But you will not belittle those girls for loving you. I won't allow it. And do not ever waste your breath again with more of that 'lost cause' nonsense. Consider yourself found.” 13 likes
“You veriest varlet.” Ashbury lowered his mangled face to within an inch of Chase’s nose. “This. Is. Nap. Time.” Chase was nonplussed. “What?” The duke rolled aside, resting on his elbow as he worked for breath. “My infant son is currently upstairs, sleeping for the first time in nineteen hours. The only thing keeping me from disemboweling you here in the entrance hall, you cream-faced rooting hog, is that you’d probably wake him with all your sniveling and sobbing for mercy.” “Oh.” Somewhere upstairs, a thin wail pierced the silence. Ashbury closed his eyes. “I hate you.” 10 likes