Start by marking “Under Darkening Skies” as Want to Read:

Under Darkening Skies

In the shadow of World War II, one young woman must make an unthinkable sacrifice for those she loves.

Norway, 1940. Nazis pour into Oslo, a shroud of dread looms over the city, and eighteen-year-old Ingrid Solberg fears the worst. Under German rule, harsh rationing and the exorbitant cost of medicine threaten the lives of many, including Ingrid’s mother. And when Ingrid
Published January 14th 2020 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Under Darkening Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Darkening Skies

Start your review of Under Darkening Skies
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I'm sad to say that this is just not a book for me. I thought the blurb sounded very intriguing, but alas I struggled both with the very predictable story and the flat characters. I really wanted to like the book. However, I felt I didn't even have enough willpower to plow through the book to even finish it.

Buddy read with Erin!
Karren  Sandercock
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks so much to NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK and Ray Kingfisher for giving me the chance to read his new book: Under Darkening Skies.

Oslo Norway 1940, Ingrid Solberg is eighteen, she lives with her parents, her father Anders is a fisherman and her mother Helga is a housewife. Of course they're concerned after the Germans invade Poland but like most Norwegians they didn't think WW II will effect them and why worry about it?
One day Ingrid notices that something is happening in the town square
Erin
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

Under Darkening Skies showcases Ray Kingfisher’s eye for intrigue and subject matter, but I’m not sure I’m the best audience for his style of storytelling.

Historically, this novel has a lot going for it. WWII fiction is riding high, but Norway is not a venue many authors have used and I appreciated the fresh perspective the setting afforded. Ingrid proved an interesting enough heroine, but I was fascinated by the men in her
A Robin Reads
Thanks to Netgalley for providing this ARC.

What I liked:
The characters
The story, very important
The writing
The build up

What I didn't like:
One perspective that I didn't get until almost the end
Some parts felt repetetive
Some choices that were made concerning the plot
My enjoyment wasn't high, probably because of the heavy content, but still counts for me in my rating.

Review first published on my blog:

I'm currently reading Under the darkening skies by Ray Kingfisher. I got this book from
Shirley
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Desperate times call for desperate measures
This book takes place during the Nazi occupation of Norway. It is about how the Norwegian people were mistreated by the Germans during the occupation.

It is about the Lebensborn program started by the Nazis to breed a superior white race. The story is about a woman named Ingrid that was recruited to the program by Frank an SS Officer. She resisted but finally agreed to save the life of her mother that was very ill and medicine and treatment was not
Linda McCutcheon
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am a huge World War II era historical fiction fan. Under Darkening Skies hits all the marks I enjoy reading about in this genre. I think one of the things that fascinates me in these type of stories is the heroism of everyday people. Citizens who just want to lead a quiet life and are thrust into unimaginable circumstances and can't help but do the right thing for their families, their country and sometimes complete strangers. I think Ingrid and Olav in this book are such heroes though their ...more
Charles m smith jr
Keep you reading.

Only a fiction read. Actually bought the book by mistake. Once I get into the book I found it hard to put down. Being a world war two history but I found that this story could have true. The way the German public fellow Hitler and the military believe it their right the dirty is very believe. Nice job Mr Kijngfisher.
Martin Hauer-Jensen
Great book!

This was a great read. I most often do not review books, but this one was so good that I had to. It let my attention from the first to the last page. It also provided something new that I had not gotten from other books.
Sally Galvan
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Well written. Very Inc. It gives you a different perspective to the Nazis. We all know what they did during the war but never thought about what happened afterwards
Barry L Waldman
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching

A beautifully written story containing both the best and worst parts of our nature. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Jodie
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwrenching yet heartwarming

There's no end to a mother's love and what she would do to protect her child. So much is left out of what we are told re history... Based upon true events ,this story gives so much insight into more sides of WW2 as well as insight into the impossible task is knowing whom exactly a person truly is...
Elizabeth Pachella
HORRORS OF WAR

I thought this was an excellent read, 5 Star Rating. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in some horrific happenings during WWII that might not be known!
Deborah Weir
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Could not stop reading. Although fictional the story rang true.
Would definitely recommend.
A great read which I really enjoyed.
Lucy Meeker
This book was outstanding and I couldn’t praise it enough. The author has produced a quite brilliant novel that personally I could not put down. I was completely absorbed, would highly recommend.
Julie Achilles
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
linda
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written story giving the reader an insight into a part of history I don't think many people probably know about or really understand. It shows you how strong the love of two people can be even under the most abhorrent circumstances. The story takes you on a journey between the occupation of Norway by Germany in the 1940 and 2011. Dipping from past and present throughout giving a clear picture of how this event in history affected the dependents of this period.
Kathleen Johnson
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
l In Ray Kingfisher’s, “Under Darkening Skies”, we learn that the hardworking people of Norway were not spared from the atrocities that occurred under Hitler’s Third Reich. After the royal family of Norway fled the country, the German soldiers established themselves in big and small towns alike.
Ingrid was a beautiful young lady in her late teens when the German army infiltrated her town and she was forced to be her mother’s caretaker and the provider for their household. Without the help of
Shawn
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tough book to judge. The quality of writing is superb. The historical circumstances and situation is well chosen and the ultimate messages profound and well worth telling and sharing. The challenge lies in the fact that there is tremendous predictability in the narrative. The author has clearly chosen to let us know in advance where the story is going to go - so it's clearly his choice. But throughout and as a result, you are left pondering under your thoughts about whether there will ...more
Lorrie
Feb 12, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Under Darkening Skies

I love historical fiction, including books about WWII. I hadn’t seen one about Norway, and since it is my ancestral homeland, it seemed like a perfect choice for me.
Pros:
- subject matter
- characters
- writing, not the best but professional and readable

Cons:
- the horror of the Lebensborn program was too lightly treated. It was sickening and yet much of the writing was about life going on with a “happily ever after” ending. Trauma in reality takes its toll.
- Warning:
Gee
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Oslo during WWII, Ingrid Solberg has to make a decision that no one should have to make, and can’t tell her loved ones why she is doing it.
70 years later in Toronto, Canada, her son. Arnold finds information after her death that makes him question everything he thought he knew about his past. He has to return home to Norway, where he was born, to discover the truth.

I enjoyed this book, although I was slightly disappointed with the predictability of it at times I was very interested in the
Gail Atkins
Feb 10, 2020 is currently reading it
What an interesting storyline!
The story begins in Norway in the final years of the Second World War. Ingrid's world turns upside down when her dad is killed in a trawler incident followed the invasion of the German army.
Ingrid becomes close to her neighbour Olav but she also receives unwanted attention from Franz, a SS officer.
The book flits between WW2 and Canada in 2011. Ingrid is very dying and she is talking out loud. Her son Arnold is very confused to what he's hearing and he needs to find
Kylie Plester
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading Under the Darkening Skies and I learnt about a whole other aspect of WWII that I never knew about. The Book is set in both war time Norway and Canada in 2011. It follows the story of Ingrid and her husband Olav and what happens when Ingrid is forced by circumstances to become part of the Lebensborn program which is created to breed the perfect Ayran babies. And what it was like to be them after the war was over. Jump to 2011 and we meet their son Arnold who is triggered ...more
Kathleen Gray
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A different take on WWII fiction, this is the story of Ingrid, a Norwegian woman who was forced into the lebensborn program by Franz, an SS officer. Her son, Arnold, has no idea of his mother's history until after her death- they've been resident in Canada since after the war. His need to find the truth of his heritage, once he realizes he likely is not the son of Olav, takes him down a dark road. Kingfisher has done a nice job with his characters-notably with the men- and setting. Thanks to ...more
Amanda
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for a review copy.

Two things that I loved about this book were firstly, that it was set in Oslo during WW2 and seldom do we see the effects of war being covered there and secondly, that the views and opinions of the three main male characters were strongly presented. Too often, stories of this war are from the point of view of the women left behind. It was refreshing to see where the men of Norway were placed in the conflict.

The story embraces the
Susie Seeber
Simultaneous timelines in 1944 Norway and in 2011 Toronto Canada. Ingrid a young Norwegian woman is coaxed into the Leydens born program in order to get the medicine her mother needs to live and also to protect the man she loves Ivan from being exposed as part of the Norwegian resistance movement. Ingrid gives birth to a son in the program but with the help of her husband is later able to help him escape the orphanage and they move to Canada. Arnie/Ulrich comes to learn that the man he thought ...more
Isabelle N
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story was fantastic. It absolutely pulled me in, no question. I was hooked from the first page and couldn’t stop until the last sentence of the last page.

My biggest problem with the book was the writing style. It was a little youngish for me, though the storyline is certainly not for a younger audience.
Teresa A. Corbitt
Children

I had not thought of all the steps the Nazis took to establish the perfect Aryan race. Establishing a breeding program where they would choose the perfect woman to have their children. The cruelty of people towards the women and their children. To have a normal life they would have to move.
Tammy Jones
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!!!!

What a great read, one you don't want to end. There was never a boring part to this story.
I had not read of the horrific clinics before I read this book. What a tragic event to go through.
Christina Mann
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another revealing story of the atrocities committed by the Hitler regime. A well written fictional account based on fact.

Readers of World War II fiction based on fact would enjoy this book. Norway was not alone in their horrible treatment of women used by the Nazis.
Ashley Longbrake-Heitz
Wow

This was an amazing book. Sad at parts but very well written. I would resourcefulness to anyone who has an interest in world war fiction
English Translati...: Ray Kingfisher - Under Darkening Skies 1 5 Nov 19, 2019 09:40AM

• The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • The Fortunate Ones
  • The Emerald Affair (The Raj Hotel #1)
  • Millions of Pebbles: Book Three in A Holocaust Story Series
  • Wie Gräser im Wind (Tage des Sturms, #1)
  • Christmas on the Home Front (Land Girls #3)
  • Im Lautlosen
  • All We Left Behind
  • The Girl with the Hazel Eyes
  • The Queen of Warriors  (Alexandra of Sparta Book 1)
  • Lady Gold Investigates Volume 3
  • Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre
  • Bootblack - tome 1 - Bootblack
  • The Other Windsor Girl: A Novel of Princess Margaret, Royal Rebel
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • In a Field of Blue
  • Cry of the Heart: A World War II Novel
  • On Far Malayan Shores
I've written stories in a few different genres, but my historical novels are the most successful to date.

The three 'Holocaust Echoes' novels: The Sugar Men, Rosa's Gold and Beyond the Shadow of Night depict the long lasting effects of the Holocaust.

My latest release, Under Darkening Skies is a sideways step from those, set in Norway during the German occupation, a story of how the Lebensborn