Start by marking “House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)” as Want to Read:
House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)

House of Earth and Blood

(Crescent City #1)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  20,977 ratings  ·  4,825 reviews
Bound by blood.
Tempted by desire.
Unleashed by destiny.

Bryce Quinlan had the perfect lifeworking hard all day and partying all nightuntil a demon murdered her closest friends, leaving her bereft, wounded, and alone. When the accused is behind bars but the crimes start up again, Bryce finds herself at the heart of the investigation. Shell do whatever it takes to avenge their
Published March 3rd 2020 by Bloomsbury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about House of Earth and Blood, please sign up.
Eris Nur With Sarah J Maas it doesn't matter because : ( I will insert the words I agree with):
Predictions:
- ruins/destroys…more
Predictions:
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.
- ruins/destroys old love interests for new hotter love interests, as she’s done in her other series TWICE.
-men are sexualized constantly and horny af always.
-cliche stereotypical depictions of feminism and strength, as per usual with this woman
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.
-all the females are badasses, perfect bodies perfect hair perfect saliva perfect perfection.
-everyone is fucking beautiful
-all the men are hot with mile-long dicks always hard for the hot females
-background/token diversity
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.
-maybe kill off a non-white character for a plot point
-everyone is beautiful
-straight white people I'm sure
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.
-which isn't to say that's bad because yes write what you want lady but I can already see the background token diversity. Just stay away from diversity sjm please we all know it's very difficult for you to keep a brown character alive *rolls eyes so hard they fall out of sockets* #sarcasm

-E.L.JAMES + FANTASY. MARK MY FUCKING WORDS, THAT'S WHAT THIS WILL BE.
-CHOSEN ONE who's sassy and awesome and hot and perfect and a Mary Sue and the best of the best but she won't show it but best believe it! DID I MENTION SHE'S HOT? AND SASSY?
-Hot warrior guy who's broody and acts like he hates her but then will fuck Bryce
-Warrior guy will then be replaced by other better warrior with a bigger dick and will fuck Bryce and the moon will fucking shake because why fucking not.
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.
-warrior guy will then be replaced by ANOTHER warrior with an EVEN BIGGER DICK and the whole earth will quake when he and Bryce fuck. Watch there be an earthquake in the real world at that time--IT'S A SIGN!
-90 books in this series, which will then be expanded to 200 books because SJM's gotta drain EVERY LAST CENT she can get from anything. Cash cow...
-she'll probably plagiarize herself honestly, considering she said she's been working on this in between her other shit over the years, it's going to be similar to the other shit for sure.
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.

Anyway read this if you want of course and I hope you like it because you'll be spending money on this, and we all know how much into money SJM has become--see the disaster known as ACOFAS. This woman is obsessed with publishing a lot. I'm convinced she really just wants money, because the quality of her books has really waned. They're barely edited. Terribly written. Smut smut smut.

Then again, money talks.

Well at least she admit's it's ADULT FICTION which basically means it's going to have lots of detailed sex because girl we all know what ADULT means to SJM. She'll finally get to use the word 'fuck' a lot and get into more detail on that 'velvet wrapped steel'--EWWW I CANT BELIEVE I JUST WROTE THAT IM CRINGING SO HARD KILL MEEEEE I NEED TO BURN MY HANDS NOW--
2. IT IS NOT HER FIRST ADULT SERIES, as the article says. A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES IS NEW ADULT, SHE HAS YOUNG ADULT AND NEW ADULT BOOKS, GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS PEOPLE AND PUBLISHERS. STOP LYING.
THIS IS NOT YOUNG ADULT CONTENT:
"He snarled in satisfaction at the wetness he found waiting for him, and his thumb circled that spot at the apex of my thighs, teasing, brushing up against it. [...] His other hand gently squeezed my breast at the same moment his thumb pushed down exactly where I wanted. I bucked my hips, my head fully back against his shoulder now, panting as his thumb flicked."--A COURT OF MIST AND FURY
I'm not sure if I'll read it, because it sounds like the third incarnation of Aelin-the-Mary-Sue 3.0. I'm sure she'll just recycle all her past character types. I'm not sure I can handle that though I like the idea of a technological city with magic. But it's SJM, she'll find some way to fuck it up I'm sure.(less)

·  20,977 ratings  ·  4,825 reviews

Start your review of House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
Emily May
Mar 04, 2020 marked it as dnf
Shelves: fantasy, 2020
Okay, I just need to stop. Stop it, Emily. At this point I can't say anything negative about Maas because it is 100% my own fault for continuing to pick up her books, hoping for... for what? That she will suddenly give me back the fun frivolities of the first two Throne of Glass books? Clearly, I am deluded if that is the case.

I'm actually going to return this book. It turned up yesterday; a $20 preorder I have no memory of making. Was I drunk? Hormonal? Sleep-deprived? Who knows? Could have
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Ive been silent for too long and can no longer bear to keep this inside:

Since this is Adult, I'm begging SJM to stop using weirdly elaborate euphemisms to describe a man's genitalia and just say "cock". Please. I can't take another "velvet wrapped steel". I'm not strong enough. Also, please don't refer to people as male and female. What is this? Animal Planet?
Ishmeen
Mar 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
me on an everyday basis: Im so over angels and demons tbh
me after the official synopsis release of Crescent City: I WILL READ ANYTHING THIS WOMAN WRITES SIGN ME UP FOR ANGELS AND SHAPESHIFTERS YAS
jessica
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this is the best book i will read in 2020.

so let it be written, so let it be done.

amen.
Nick
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm bald.
Kai
Jan 14, 2019 added it
Shelves: owned
SJM: faerie-folk! winged warriors! a vibrant city! a world on the brink of war! heart-pounding romance!
everybody: ACOTAR!
SJM: wut?
everybody: wut?
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I have an effing headache! I flew through this book like a psycho! I skimmed a lot of stuff I didnt give two shits about.

And to be honest, while I do like the main characters, there were other characters that I loved more and I got invested in them and wanting to know more about them, got all excited. BUT, the hell was I thinking, this was like ALL the books you never invest in a character or characters. They are dust in the wind....

Now Im just still .....

I will reread on Audio soon
Breanna
May 17, 2018 marked it as hard-no
Series Predictions:

badass heroine. she's so special, so beautiful
everyone is in love with her
love interest #1 introduced, actually a nice relationship
but wait
FAE (oh sorry, it's sidhe now i guess)
love interest #2 introduced; alpha male (totally fae sidhe)
something about a mate bond
shows abusive tendencies towards MC but that's okay because he has a ~troubled~ past and all transgressions are forgiven
as a matter of fact, those abusive actions are portrayed as swoony-worthy and
;3
Jan 18, 2019 added it
can't wait for the 7000 paged textbook about badly written sex and orgasms that make distant planets explode
Melanie

RTC! <3

[March 2nd, 2020] are we prepared, friends? 😈

[January 3rd, 2020] Bethany's Vlog has me so damn excited for this one!

[May 16th, 2018] I'm equal parts scared and excited.

Pinterest Board

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Warda
May 16, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Pre-reading raves!

LOOOOOOOK AT THIS COVER!!!!
I cry. 😭😭😭😭

Best SJM cover. The detail! 😍

---------------------------

Well, this news just made my day! NEW MATERIAL FROM SARAH J MAAS! 🤩
I cant wait to see how she ventures into Adult Fantasy!

You can read more about it here:

I hope Maas does a Sanderson and releases books every year from here on out. 😁
Chelsea Humphrey
I've been attempting to read this between the hardcover and the audio for an entire week now, and I'm just breaching the 100 page mark, so I think I'll put it on hold and come back to it again when I'm in a less slumpy mood. Hoping it's me and not the book! 😔
The Burning Rose (Jess)
Sep 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-be-released
Update: Sarah sold signed copies, but the shipping cost a fortune so all I have left to do now is wait and buy the regular copy. God, please make it March already.

Fuck my life, This is the most beautiful cover Ive ever seen 😍
alana ♡
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
"Light it up, bitch."

Did I cry? Twice
Is this my favorite SJM book? No
Do I need the next book? Immediately

I have A LOT of feelings on the first book in the Crescent City series so I'm going to do us all a favor and just get straight into all the things I liked and didn't like about this!

What I Liked

👯♀  The emphasis of friendship.  Y'all mind if I scream for a sec? I didn't read the synopsis before I picked up this book and the last time I read it was months ago, so imagine my surprise when I
Hamad
May 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Stop judging readers for reading SJM books (Because she is problematic) while you nearly worship J.K. Rowling and make her fortune grow to billions!

(My problem is not with the fact that some find SJM books problematic but with the fact that they judge other readers and attack us for enjoying them!!)
Miranda Reads
Nov 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
That cover! That description! My ever-dwindling bank account!

Should I...?

*preorders it*

Bills-schmills. I need Maas more than I need stability.

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads
Bethany
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Wow, that was a RIDE! First things first:

1) You can see my reading vlog on my YouTube channel HERE: https://youtu.be/TkCRid7deIs

2) No, there actually isn't all that much smut in this book. A few steamier scenes very late in the book that are quite tame and serve for needed character/relationship development. There are a lot of references to sex throughout and the MC Bryce (half-human, half-Fae, supposed party girl but with unexpected depths and a complicated background)
Cardan Greenbriar -- PLEASE STAY HOME AND SAFE
seriously, why is the average rating stuck to 4.54 ?? several days ago i saw 4.54 and it's still the same???
YAASS ARGHARGHHHH! FINISHED READING THIS WHERE IS MY OSCAR???
MOVE ASIDE THE WORD 'MATE' COZ HERE COMES THE WORD SHIT!
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
BE STILL, MY BEATING HEART!!!
I'm in love with this gorgeous cover! <333
Gosh! Whoever drew this is an amazing artist!
Now I can't wait to hold this in my hands! =)))

_________________________________

Just when I started to wonder what I'm going to do with the rest of my life after I'm done with Sarah's "Throne of Glass" series I saw this on my feed!

Call it fate or divine intervention, either way I'm more than just ready for this! XD

Bring it on, Sarah! Let us suffer, love, hope and dream once
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, 2020-books
The last 200 pages of this book.....

I AM DECEASED.

Say what you want about SJM, but there's a reason why her books (fucking FIFTEEN+ books) are still super popular and profit.

Full review to come later. My head needs to pull my brain together after all that.
Ellie
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars baby. I promise there will be no spoilers in this review, Im not a monster. Warning: this review is long.
Lets begin with what kept me going throughout this entire book: my stupid tallies.

My Stupid Tallies:
Characters snarling: 108. This physically hurt me tbh.
Characters being described with golden/tan skin: 22. The woke queen is back ladies and gentlemales, with another racially ambiguous cast that lets her imagine them as white but defend herself if people ever say she has no
Heather
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fantasy
I mean, who's surprised I gave this 5 stars?
Not me.
Likable main character who had an amazing friendship.
Brooding love interest
a world filled with fae, werewolves, mer people, witches and humans..an urban fantasy.
Gah I loved every second of this book.
Does that make me trash? I'm not sure...
Elena
May 22, 2016 marked it as on-hold
march 16, 2020
college classes got moved online.
i moved back to my city, santa fe, from denver. so that means i had to return this book to the library of denver because i couldn't bring it to santa fe with me for 2 weeks.
so this book is on hold until i can get my hands on it again.

i would buy it, but i don't want to. i'm scared i won't like it and i hate spending money on books i dislike. i'd rather wait
--------------------------------------
march 13, 2020
i have finally begun reading again. of
Mary S. R.
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
4.9 WTF STARS! Excuse me while I borrow a phrase from Fynn to convey the very sophisticated language I put into use while reading this curse of a book: what the fucking fuck.

Memento Mori.
Remember that you will die.

This, this is undoubtedly the best magic Sarah J. Maas has brought into this stale life up until the fateful and vengeful year of 2020the most surreal yet real; casual yet grand; the grittiest and most intriguing.

With a much more mature storytelling and a cruel world in defiance of
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
Jun 02, 2019 marked it as will-read-if-cheap-or-freebie
Recommended to Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ by: Amanda ☕
UPDATE: The library got a copy and I'm #2 on the waitlist. IT'S ON BITCHES

Apparently people want to see me review this.

#ChallengeAccepted

Update: I have applied for a giveaway but I have to compete against the legion of stan.

The odds are not in my favor.
Tara ☽
Apr 03, 2019 marked it as will-not-read
A basic title for an author of basic books.

Who wants to bet the MC will be super duper beautiful and 'sarcastic' and the best at everything she does, and the love interest will purr every other sentence?
may ❀
Mar 03, 2020 is currently reading it
just THINKING about having to start a new sjm fantasy world and understand all the houses and different species and how the magic system works makes all 3 of my collective brain cells panic beyond belief

so thoughts and prayers i guess
Amy Imogene Reads

I didn't expect this level of over-detail and I didn't expect this level of world-building complexity. This was one dense, richly-developed world...in one (arguably) too long book. In honor of how freaking long this book was, my review is literally massive.

Concepts: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★ 1/2
Climax: ★★★★★ million freaking stars
Character development: ★★★★
Enjoyment: literally both ★★ and ★★★★★

(Read the blurb if you want to know the basics, this is a reaction review!)

So I've read and obsessed
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
So uhhhh...anyone else have a nagging suspicion this is going to be 800+ pages of straight white people, lots of sex, toxic masculinity, unhealthy relationships, more sex, poor decisions, with a Mary Sue lead (who is *~so not like other girls~*) and a generic Hot-And-Angry-And-A-Dick-To-Everyone-Except-For-The-One-Girl-He-Likes love interest who everyone will fangirl over anyway, most likely because of all the aforementioned sex?

Anyone else think it's going to get tons of praise regardless of
Gavin
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
My spoiler-free reading vlog reading Crescent City 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IYGU...

This is my FIRST Sarah J. Maas book EVER!! I LOVED IT! I wasn't entirely sure what to expect going into this, but by the end, I was hooked!

Sarah J. Maas has painted a rather pretty world in Crescent City, a town filled with various supernatural creatures, where a shocking and brutal murder shocks everyone. It really is Jessica Jones meets True Blood. You'd think it would fall into the usual
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too

• You Let Me In
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Chasing Lucky
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • What Lies Between Us
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • The Vanishing Deep
  • Badger to the Bone (Honey Badger Chronicles, #3)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • The Twin
  • The Herd
  • Little Secrets
  • The Golden Key

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our list, ...
“Through love, all is possible.” 92 likes
“That's the point of it, Bryce. Of life. To live, to love, knowing that it might all vanish tomorrow. It makes everything that much more precious.” 59 likes