Start by marking “House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)” as Want to Read:
House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)

House of Earth and Blood

(Crescent City #1)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  79,612 ratings  ·  13,994 reviews
Bound by blood.
Tempted by desire.
Unleashed by destiny.

Bryce Quinlan had the perfect life—working hard all day and partying all night—until a demon murdered her closest friends, leaving her bereft, wounded, and alone. When the accused is behind bars but the crimes start up again, Bryce finds herself at the heart of the investigation. She’ll do whatever it takes to avenge th
Published March 3rd 2020 by Bloomsbury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about House of Earth and Blood, please sign up.
Eris Nur With Sarah J Maas it doesn't matter because : ( I will insert the words I agree with):
Predictions:
- ruins/destroys …more
Predictions:
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.
- ruins/destroys old love interests for new hotter love interests, as she’s done in her other series TWICE.
-men are sexualized constantly and horny af always.
-cliche stereotypical depictions of feminism and strength, as per usual with this woman
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.
-all the females are badasses, perfect bodies perfect hair perfect saliva perfect perfection.
-everyone is fucking beautiful
-all the men are hot with mile-long dicks always hard for the hot females
-background/token diversity
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.
-maybe kill off a non-white character for a plot point
-everyone is beautiful
-straight white people I'm sure
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.
-which isn't to say that's bad because yes write what you want lady but I can already see the background token diversity. Just stay away from diversity sjm please we all know it's very difficult for you to keep a brown character alive *rolls eyes so hard they fall out of sockets* #sarcasm

-E.L.JAMES + FANTASY. MARK MY FUCKING WORDS, THAT'S WHAT THIS WILL BE.
-CHOSEN ONE who's sassy and awesome and hot and perfect and a Mary Sue and the best of the best but she won't show it but best believe it! DID I MENTION SHE'S HOT? AND SASSY?
-Hot warrior guy who's broody and acts like he hates her but then will fuck Bryce
-Warrior guy will then be replaced by other better warrior with a bigger dick and will fuck Bryce and the moon will fucking shake because why fucking not.
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.
-warrior guy will then be replaced by ANOTHER warrior with an EVEN BIGGER DICK and the whole earth will quake when he and Bryce fuck. Watch there be an earthquake in the real world at that time--IT'S A SIGN!
-90 books in this series, which will then be expanded to 200 books because SJM's gotta drain EVERY LAST CENT she can get from anything. Cash cow...
-she'll probably plagiarize herself honestly, considering she said she's been working on this in between her other shit over the years, it's going to be similar to the other shit for sure.
-bad writing, nonexistent editing.

Anyway read this if you want of course and I hope you like it because you'll be spending money on this, and we all know how much into money SJM has become--see the disaster known as ACOFAS. This woman is obsessed with publishing a lot. I'm convinced she really just wants money, because the quality of her books has really waned. They're barely edited. Terribly written. Smut smut smut.

Then again, money talks.

Well at least she admit's it's ADULT FICTION which basically means it's going to have lots of detailed sex because girl we all know what ADULT means to SJM. She'll finally get to use the word 'fuck' a lot and get into more detail on that 'velvet wrapped steel'--EWWW I CANT BELIEVE I JUST WROTE THAT IM CRINGING SO HARD KILL MEEEEE I NEED TO BURN MY HANDS NOW--
2. IT IS NOT HER FIRST ADULT SERIES, as the article says. A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES IS NEW ADULT, SHE HAS YOUNG ADULT AND NEW ADULT BOOKS, GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS PEOPLE AND PUBLISHERS. STOP LYING.
THIS IS NOT YOUNG ADULT CONTENT:
"He snarled in satisfaction at the wetness he found waiting for him, and his thumb circled that spot at the apex of my thighs, teasing, brushing up against it. [...] His other hand gently squeezed my breast at the same moment his thumb pushed down exactly where I wanted. I bucked my hips, my head fully back against his shoulder now, panting as his thumb flicked."--A COURT OF MIST AND FURY
I'm not sure if I'll read it, because it sounds like the third incarnation of Aelin-the-Mary-Sue 3.0. I'm sure she'll just recycle all her past character types. I'm not sure I can handle that though I like the idea of a technological city with magic. But it's SJM, she'll find some way to fuck it up I'm sure.(less)
christina here is the latest article pertaining to the new adult fantasy series:

here is the latest article pertaining to the new adult fantasy series:

·  79,612 ratings  ·  13,994 reviews

Start your review of House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
Jun 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ by: Amanda ☕

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Gather around, my friends, and pull up several seats. I give you my worst book of 2020. My god.

My first introduction to Sarah J. Maas's work was through THRONE OF GLASS, which sounded kind of like POISON STUDY when I heard the premise: a disgraced assassin fighting for the saving of a kingdom? YAS. But POISON STUDY was a much better book. "But no," said the Stans. "You have to read the entire series. It gets better." Well, I read all sev
Ellie
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars baby. I promise there will be no spoilers in this review, I’m not a monster. Warning: this review is long.
Let’s begin with what kept me going throughout this entire book: my stupid tallies.

My Stupid Tallies:
Characters snarling: 108. This physically hurt me tbh.
Characters being described with golden/tan skin: 22. The woke queen is back ladies and gentlemales, with another racially ambiguous cast that lets her imagine them as white but defend herself if people ever say she has n
alana ♡
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
"Light it up, bitch."

Did I cry? Twice
Is this my favorite SJM book? No
Do I need the next book? Immediately

I have A LOT of feelings on the first book in the Crescent City series so I'm going to do us all a favor and just get straight into all the things I liked and didn't like about this!

What I Liked

👯‍♀️  The emphasis of friendship.  Y'all mind if I scream for a sec? I didn't read the synopsis before I picked up this book and the last time I read it was months ago, so imagine my surprise whe
Miranda Reads
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

Hey all! I've read my way through 200+ books to bring you this Booktube Video - all about the Best 2020 Books (so far this year!).
Annnd here's another video ^_^ :
description

Just a fun little BookTube Video all about some fabulous literary worlds!
The Written Review:
description

"See, that right there is the problem. You and the whole rest of the world seem to think I exist just to find someone like him."
Bryce Quinlan lives in a world full of fae, werewolves, angels and demons...and in a world full
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $3.99 Kindle US 10/14/20

4.5 Stars ⭐️

I have an effing headache! I flew through this book like a psycho! I skimmed a lot of stuff I didn’t give two shits about.

And to be honest, while I do like the main characters, there were other characters that I loved more and I got invested in them and wanting to know more about them, got all excited. BUT, the hell was I thinking, this was like ALL the books you never invest in a character or characters. They are dust in the wind....

Now I’m just stil
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4.5 Stars

I know it's not "cool" to like SJM books anymore...all the cool kids say she's tired, she doesn't have enough "rep" in her books, she's too trope-y, her males are too "masculine," angels and fae have been done too many times before, blah, blah, fucking blah...

I'm not here to rate the literary elements here, people.
I'm not here to ferret out any imagined or un-imagined social warrior stances in a barely adult Urban Fantasy book meant for entertainment.

description

And this was scrumptious.

Was the b
Emily May
Mar 04, 2020 marked it as dnf
Shelves: fantasy, 2020
Okay, I just need to stop. Stop it, Emily. At this point I can't say anything negative about Maas because it is 100% my own fault for continuing to pick up her books, hoping for... for what? That she will suddenly give me back the fun frivolities of the first two Throne of Glass books? Clearly, I am deluded if that is the case.

I'm actually going to return this book. It turned up yesterday; a $20 preorder I have no memory of making. Was I drunk? Hormonal? Sleep-deprived? Who knows? Could have bee
chan ☆
May 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
bold and brash but will i wanna throw it in the trash

after reading, whispers: trash

--------------------------------

since when do i write reviews anymore... if you want a 25 minute spoiler filled vlog of messiness, i can provide here
chai ♡
Oct 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
I’ve been silent for too long and can no longer bear to keep this inside:

Since this is Adult, I'm begging SJM to stop using weirdly elaborate euphemisms to describe a man's genitalia and just say "cock". Please. I can't take another "velvet wrapped steel". I'm not strong enough. Also, please don't refer to people as male and female. What is this? Animal Planet?
Ishmeen
Mar 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
me on an everyday basis: I’m so over angels and demons tbh
me after the official synopsis release of Crescent City: I WILL READ ANYTHING THIS WOMAN WRITES SIGN ME UP FOR ANGELS AND SHAPESHIFTERS YAS
NReads
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm bald.
Kai
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
SJM: faerie-folk! winged warriors! a vibrant city! a world on the brink of war! heart-pounding romance!
everybody: ACOTAR!
SJM: wut?
everybody: wut?
jessica
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
this is the best book i will read in 2020.

so let it be written, so let it be done.

amen.
Warda
Sarah J Maas really does own my ass!
I was anticipating this book like no tomorrow and whilst it wasn't perfect for me, I fell in love with the story regardless.
I'm not going to go into too much detail. Just discover the book for yourself, darn it!
BUT I loved the world-building. There was so much to it, so rich and full and whilst for others it felt info-dumpy, this was one of my favourite aspects. I can see it getting confusing, but I relished in the way the world was introduced and the way sh
 Teodora
4.75/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

“Let someone in, give them the power to hurt you, and they’d do exactly that, in the end.”

When I saw 800+ pages I got a bit scared.
Okay, a bit more.
But then...
...I LITERALLY HALTED ABSOLUTELY FUCKING EVERYTHING TO READ THIS BOOK AND I DON’T REGRET A THING.
It’s been amazing.
AMAZING.

At this point in life, I don’t even want to question anymore this woman’s books.

description

The world-building, as usual, is fabulous. I really love the fact that this world
Melanie
am i rereading this 1k page book with maëlys so i can write a "good" character limit review because i didn't in march and now it has been too long? yes

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

Buddy read with Maëlys! ❤
;3
Jan 18, 2019 added it
can't wait for the 7000 paged textbook about badly written sex and orgasms that make distant planets explode
Mary S. R.
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Excuse me while I borrow a phrase from Fynn to convey my very sophisticated language while reading this monster of a book: what the fucking fuck.

Memento Mori.
Remember that you will die.

Reading HoEaB is like listening to rock (maybe goth, punk, or alternative) mixed with trap: slightly jarring and odd, with a hard edge, dark vibe, and pacing that goes from low to explosions and thunder. Which is something I love but you might not. No, this was not perfect. And yes, it fell shorter than the re
Breanna
May 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Series Predictions:

• badass heroine. she's so special, so beautiful
• everyone is in love with her
• love interest #1 introduced
• but wait
• FAE (oh sorry, it's sidhe now i guess)
• love interest #2 introduced; gross alpha male (totally fae sidhe)
• something about a mate bond
• shows abusive tendencies towards MC but that's okay because he has a ~troubled~ past and all transgressions are forgiven
• as a matter of fact, those abusive actions are portrayed as swoon-worthy and #relationshipgoals
• ori
Hamad
May 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Stop judging readers for reading SJM books (Because she is problematic) while you nearly worship J.K. Rowling and make her fortune grow to billions!

(My problem is not with the fact that some find SJM books problematic but with the fact that they judge other readers and attack us for enjoying them!!)
Chelsea Humphrey
Instead of pushing ahead, I decided to just read the spoiler synopsis, and I think I made the right choice. I won't be rating this one, but it's safe to say this series just isn't for me. While I'll be continuing on with the ACOTAR series if she decides to finally keep going (honestly why didn't we get Cassian and Nesta's story before THIS??), but this is where I part ways with Crescent City.
• Lindsey Dahling •
How most authors approach writing an adult book: “I’m going to delve in to some dark, gritty topics. Readers will truly feel the pain of the characters struggling to cope with the world around them.”

How SJM approached writing an adult book:
“SHIT FUCK BALLS FUCK FUCK FUCKING SHIT HOLY FUCKING MOTHER OF FUCK YOU FUCKER WHAT THE BALLSAC YOU SON OF A BITCH FUCKING FUCKITY CUNT RAG.”
————————————————————————

I’m finally ready to write this damn review. Please note that I AM actually a big SJM fan, whic
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books, i-own
The last 200 pages of this book.....

I AM DECEASED.

Say what you want about SJM, but there's a reason why her books (fucking FIFTEEN+ books) are still super popular and profiting.

My head needs to pull my brain together after all that.
Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
The Burning Rose (Jess)
Sep 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-be-released
Update: Sarah sold signed copies, but the shipping cost a fortune so all I have left to do now is wait and buy the regular copy. God, please make it March already.

Fuck my life, This is the most beautiful cover I’ve ever seen 😍
Angelica
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was good!!!!!!!!!!
And I'm angry about it?

Get ready for a mostly rambling rant/rave review of how this book got 5 stars from me.

But first, a warning: I don't usually curse in my reviews, but this one might get a little more colorful than usual. In honor of Bryce and the fact that unlike SJM's previous characters, she can freely curse.
Beware.
Also, don't worry, this has no spoilers. At least, I don't think it does. But then again, maybe? Like, low-key, but then again a lot of these thin
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've mulled this over for a few days and decided to settle on a 4 star rating. This book is nowhere near perfect, but it sure was A LOT of fun and I'll definitely carry on with the series when the next book comes out IN A YEAR AND A HALF. I forgot how long the wait can be in between fantasy books and I HATE IT HERE

Also: (view spoiler)
Cardan Greenbriar
seriously, why is the average rating stuck to 4.54 ?? several days ago i saw 4.54 and it's still the same???
YAASS ARGHARGHHHH! FINISHED READING THIS WHERE IS MY OSCAR???
MOVE ASIDE THE WORD 'MATE' COZ HERE COMES THE WORD SHIT!
Bethany
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Wow, that was a RIDE! First things first:

1) You can see my reading vlog on my YouTube channel HERE: https://youtu.be/TkCRid7deIs

2) No, there actually isn't all that much smut in this book. A few steamier scenes very late in the book that are quite tame and serve for needed character/relationship development. There are a lot of references to sex throughout and the MC Bryce (half-human, half-Fae, supposed party girl but with unexpected depths and a complicated background)
Heather
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fantasy
I mean, who's surprised I gave this 5 stars?
Not me.
Likable main character who had an amazing friendship.
Brooding love interest
a world filled with fae, werewolves, mer people, witches and humans..an urban fantasy.
Gah I loved every second of this book.
Does that make me trash? I'm not sure...
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
BE STILL, MY BEATING HEART!!!
I'm in love with this gorgeous cover! <333
Gosh! Whoever drew this is an amazing artist!
Now I can't wait to hold this in my hands! =)))

_________________________________

Just when I started to wonder what I'm going to do with the rest of my life after I'm done with Sarah's "Throne of Glass" series I saw this on my feed!

Call it fate or divine intervention, either way I'm more than just ready for this! XD

Bring it on, Sarah! Let us suffer, love, hope and dream once more!

• Missing Wings: Chronicles of the Aranysargas (Aranysargas, #1)
  • You Let Me In
  • Chasing Lucky
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Wolf Child (The Year of the Wolf #1)
  • What Lies Between Us
  • Changed by Fire (Phoenix Rising, #6)
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • Dragon Released (Reclaimed Dragons, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Vanishing Deep
  • Love Her Better (Kaid Ranch Shifters, #4)
  • Badger to the Bone (Honey Badger Chronicles, #3)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • The Twin
  • The Shadows Between Us
Sarah J. Maas is the #1 New York Times and internationally bestselling author of the Crescent City, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and the Throne of Glass series. Her books have sold more than twelve million copies and are published in thirty-seven languages. A New York native, Sarah lives in Philadelphia with her husband, son, and dog. To find out more, visit sarahjmaas.com or follow @therealsjmaas ...more

Crescent City (3 books)
  • Untitled (Crescent City, #2)
  • Untitled (Crescent City, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Myths and mayhem, the fantastical and the scientifically plausible, these are readers’ most popular sci-fi and fantasy novels published in the...
“Through love, all is possible.” 349 likes
“That's the point of it, Bryce. Of life. To live, to love, knowing that it might all vanish tomorrow. It makes everything that much more precious.” 241 likes