Start by marking “Six Impossible Things: The ‘Quanta of Solace’ and the Mysteries of the Subatomic World” as Want to Read:

'An accessible primer on all things quantum' -Sunday Times

Quantum physics is strange. It tells us that a particle can be in two places at once. Indeed, that particle is also a wave, and everything in the quantum world can be described entirely in terms of waves, or entirely in terms of particles, whichever you prefer.
All of this was clear by the end of the 1920s. But to
Published April 4th 2019 by Icon Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Six Impossible Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Impossible Things

Start your review of Six Impossible Things: The ‘Quanta of Solace’ and the Mysteries of the Subatomic World
Brian Clegg
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On first handling John Gribbin's book, it's impossible not to think of Carlo Rovelli's Seven Brief Lessons in Physics - both are very slim, elegant hardbacks with a numbered set of items within - yet Six Impossible Things is a far, far better book than its predecessor. Where Seven Brief Lessons uses purple prose and vagueness in what feels like a scientific taster menu, Gribbin gives us a feast of precision and clarity, with a phenomenal amount of information for such a compact space. It's a ...more
Paul
If you want the strange then you need not venture between the covers of a science fiction book, there is a world that is equally unreal, where particles can be in two places at the same time, they are sometimes a wave and could be a particle, it all depends when you look. It exists in our world and universe, it is the quantum world, a place that has been baffling the brightest physics minds for a century or so.

At the moment there are six explanations of what could be happening in this surreal
Ints
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Episki, par pasaules lietu dabu
Sylvie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how to rate this... Not one for the physics-impaired but that doesn't make it a bad book... Definitely interesting and it did pack a lot into 100-odd pages!
3.5? 4?
Rory
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I defy anyone not to gain wisdom from this book.
Grrlscientist
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quantum physics is so bizarre that even physicists don’t understand it. According to the rules of quantum physics, a cat can be alive and dead at the same time, an electron can be in two places simultaneously, and a subatomic particle can also be a wave. But nobody has ever been able to provide a rational explanation for how these contradictory and seemingly impossible things can be true. Basically, the subatomic world is so strange that even Einstein could only shrug and describe it as “spooky ...more
Gaurav Andhansare
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Warning: This is not a light read or a cute book on weird science experiments.

If you're not a physics geek or enthusiast this book will give you headache very quickly.

Quick test to find out if you are one:
1. You watched the Big Bang Theory
2. You laughed at all (literally all) the jokes
3. You tried to understand the joke where you were supposed to laugh but didn't

I have always had the intrigue and patience for theoretical physics; although it is completely irrelevant to my life/job.
If you don't
David McDonald
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I gave up understanding anything that was going on by about half way through. I enjoyed it, however it was probably too complex for me at this stage in my understanding (or lack of) of the cosmos.

I may return in the future and have a better experience on the second read through.

It is probably a 3.5. But if I could grasp the concepts, I would have rated it 4+.
Tom Lee
A helpful little intro to theories about the quantum realm. Despite it's much shorter length I didn't find it as digestible as The Elegant Universe, but I found it educational nevertheless.
Øyvind Nistad Stamnes
Enjoyed the first chapters but got lost in the different explanations of the quantum phenomena
John Funk
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun , quick read on various interpretations of quantum mechanics.
Easy to read and compelling , I recommend it.
Miguel Figueira
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't find it easy to read (especially solace 6)

I think it is a good book about all interpretations of quantum mechanics
Kristian
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind-expanding, and astoundingly good at explaining frighteningly complex concepts with flair and panache.
Todd
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully written synopsis of six common interpretations of quantum theory. Perhaps a bit of a strain for the entirely uninitiated but effective as a second or third "introduction" to all things Bohr, Born, Bohm, Ball, and beyond.
John Brown
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Infinite Powers: How Calculus Reveals the Secrets of the Universe
  • Something Deeply Hidden: Quantum Worlds and the Emergence of Spacetime
  • Supernova Era
  • The Second Kind of Impossible: The Extraordinary Quest for a New Form of Matter
  • Novacene: The Coming Age of Hyperintelligence
  • The Remarkable Life of the Skin: An intimate journey across our surface
  • The Assault on American Excellence
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • The Economists' Hour: False Prophets, Free Markets, and the Fracture of Society
  • The Nocturnal Brain: Nightmares, Neuroscience, and the Secret World of Sleep
  • Ground Force Weekend Workbook (Ground Force)
  • Firefighting: The Financial Crisis and Its Lessons
  • Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City
  • Randomize
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • Human Compatible: Artificial Intelligence and the Problem of Control
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
John R. Gribbin is a British science writer, an astrophysicist, and a visiting fellow in astronomy at the University of Sussex. The topical range of his prolific writings includes quantum physics, biographies of famous scientists, human evolution, the origins of the universe, climate change and global warming. His also writes science fiction.

John Gribbin graduated with his bachelor's degree in
“Reality’ is the idea that there is a real world that exists whether or not anyone is looking at it, or measuring it.” 0 likes