Start by marking “La cuarta copa: los secretos de la Última Cena y de la Crucifixión” as Want to Read:
La cuarta copa: los secretos de la Última Cena y de la Crucifixión

La cuarta copa: los secretos de la Última Cena y de la Crucifixión

Rare Book
Paperback

Start your review of La cuarta copa: los secretos de la Última Cena y de la Crucifixión
Steven R. McEvoy
Over the last 25 years I have read about a dozen books by Scott Hahn, and each and every one of them I found helped my spiritual life. They have helped my understanding or God, Mary, the Church, or a specific theological point. But of all his books I have read this is one of my favourites. In fact it was so good it inspired me to add a couple of his others I have not got around to reading back towards the top of my to be read list. The description of this book is:

"Well-known Catholic theologian
Matthew
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
I felt like Scott Hahn held back a little on this one. That or the research he found was not as conclusive as he would have hoped. He did an excellent job defending the Last Supper as a seder but did not spend much time pointing out in the synoptic gospels the first three cups.

I felt like he had more enthusiasm about the Bible discussing the three cups in the Last Supper but maybe I am not remembering correctly. Or maybe I just raced through the part where he points out which verses point to eac
Friar Stebin John Capuchin
It was really a wonderful experience with Scott Hahn. I enjoyed this book, really a scholarly book.
Julie Davis
I first encountered Scott Hahn's writing not long before I entered the Church. My godmother had given me Rome, Sweet Home which was co-written with his wife, Kimberly, and is their joint conversion story.

After that, I picked up A Father Who Keeps His Promises which traces, as the subtitle tells us, God's covenant love in scripture. I didn't know what that meant. I just wanted something more by that author. It proved formational as I was pulled into a new world where the Bible had layer upon lay
Kendra Morgan
It is finished. What is finished? I could not put this book down once I picked it up. Hahn writes about his search for the answer to this question with such urgency that it flows through to the reader. The answer is there; Hahn was determined to find it.

Even as a life-long Christian, I found Hahn's research relevant to my study of the Bible. As a convert to Catholicism, I found the words to describe why I converted. Describing feelings is not easy, and trying to describe these to my family and f
Fr. Wirth
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the recent Pew Research Center poll indicating that only one-third of Catholics believe in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, this book will solve any/all problems with that.

A very comprehensive & Scriptural understanding of the Eucharist/Christ as the Fulfillment of Passover and the renewal of the covenantal bond btw God & Israel via the Paschal Mystery.
Richard Grebenc
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Hahn's latest offering is a fleshing out of one of his most famous talks. In it he provides a bit of autobiography, a concise overview of key points in salvation history, deeper meaning into the Last Supper and the Mass, and finally some takeaways for the reader.

The autobiographical part relates to how his quest led to conversion from Protestantism to Catholicism -- what he discovered and relates in this book is what brought him into the Church. His study led him to review Passover intently
Jeff Miller
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw this book came out - I thought for sure it was a republishing of an older book of his. Nope. He has produced many talks and articles on this subject - but has not given it a full length treatment in itself. This involves a cross-section of Old and New Testament theology, Church Fathers, along with Scott Hahn's own conversion regarding how studying the subject brought him into the Church.

So the book itself is read more like a theological detective story.
Coleen
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent telling of two different but related topics: the author's insight into the Paschal Mystery with the four cups playing its part; and with that insight, the author's own conversion from a Protestant faith to the Catholic one.

As I read the book, I told myself that I planned to read it yet another time after I finished it one time with my first impression. That is not an unusual thought for me. But this review is based on only my first reading.

I thought - then and now- that hav
Phil
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four and one-half stars, actually.

It is a small book, easy to read on a quiet rainy afternoon.

As a non-Christian, but an individual interested in religion, I often wondered about the so-called"hard sayings of Jesus."

These are not the focus Dr. Hahn's book, but the "Fourth Cup" of the title, and by extension, the relation between the Jewish Passover Seder and the Last Supper.

This is not a scholarly treatise, but a book intended for a popular audience, a text replete with groaner puns serving as s
Pontus Alexander
Audio book (Narrator: Arthur Morey)

'The Fourth Cup' is both a biographical story about the author, Scott Hahn, and his journey from Presbyterianism to Roman Catholicism and an investigation of the Last Supper and the Passion of Christ (with the death on the cross, esp.
"Jesus said, "It is finished". John 19:30)
I found the book rather gripping and I really enjoyed Hahn's interpretation on Jewish Passover and the connections he made to Jesus, "the fourth cup" - and Christ as the sacrificial lamb
Theresa Smith
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Goodreads for the giveaway!

I've heard Dr. Hahn speak about the Fourth Cup and I was thrilled to see the information in book form. His writing clearly connects the Passover and the Last Supper to help the reader understand the Old and New Covenant. It's great information and will enhance every reader's appreciation of the Mass.
Nic Lishko
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book blew my mind. Literally. I had to stop what I was doing, put it down and stare at clouds for like, five to ten minutes. This book has convinced me beyond on a shadow of a doubt how great the bible is.
I'm pretty much ice skating on an ocean of information and the ice is starting to break away. This book has convinced me that I don't know shit about my faith and it's awfully frustrating.
God.
Thank you for this book, professor. Time to go back to the library and raid everything of yours.
Pa
Joseph Little
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Incredible Read. Scott Hahn masterfully shows the importance of the Passover Seders fourth cup of wine and the moment before Jesus death as a perfect transition and blending of The Old Testament and The New Testament. Brilliantly written and easy for anyone to understand. The Eucharist becomes more plainly evident in the Salvific Plan of Our GOD. Must Read.
Kevin
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a CD talk from Lighthouse Catholic Media. "Catholic theologian Dr. Hahn explains Christ's Paschal Sacrifice on the cross as the fulfillment of the traditional fourth cup used in the celebration of the Jewish Passover meal."

You can find the transcript online if you want to read it, but I suggest you listen to Dr Hahn present the material. He's passionate, energetic and his explanations are simple enough for a beginner to understand, while being deep enough for a theologian.
Rusty
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful account of a Reformed scholar and his struggle with details of the Last Supper. Through his studies and wrestling he came to embrace Catholicism. I disagree with him on several points but his observations and insights on union with Christ and suffering with Christ are well worth pondering. This is a very irenic work and should be ready by Protestants.
Sally Andrews
I wasn't as blown away by this book as some have been, but I've been in church a long time and there wasn't really anything new to me. If you're seeking some answers, it might be good. I also didn't really like the view that you need to practice Catholicism to 'get it.' That's just not true. Not going to argue my theology here. I just didn't agree with everything in here. ...more
Anna Keating
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
The connection between animal sacrifice, passover, the last supper and the eucharist.
Christine
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the perfect one to read during the last days of Lent and into the great celebration of Easter. Scott Hahn has an easy, comfortable style, and in this book, which recounts the great quest of his life to find the answer to what "It" meant in Christ's words "It is finished," he takes the reader on a journey into biblical theology, early Church Fathers' works, and the desire of each soul to find its true raison d'etre.

The combination of his own quest for answers and the deeper and deep
Gisela
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scott-hahn, eucharist
Why did Jesus talk about his death as drinking a cup? And why do Catholics believe that the Eucharist is a sacrifice? Wasn’t his offering on the cross sufficient one and for all – or does there perhaps exist a link between the Last Supper in the Upper Room and the crucifixion on Calvary that transformed his death from a Roman execution to the ultimate sacrifice?

In this book Dr Hahn takes the reader on a journey of discovery through Holy Scripture and the ancient Jewish tradition of the Passover
Ryan
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As expected from Dr. Scott Hahn, this book is excellent. It is a great, great, accessible overview of some of the Catholic theology of the Eucharist, And how would help to draw Scott Hahn into the faith. Of course I learned a great deal, and appreciated all of his pun–tastic section headings, but if anything I felt that his book didn’t go far enough. Where are used to read Scott Hahn and be blown away by his fresh And exciting insights, now a good deal older and with much more reading under my b ...more
Tom Kristan Jr.
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book!! It is a scholarly read, yet it doesn't read like a textbook. It ties Old Testament symbols together with New Testament symbols. The reader realizes that the modern Mass is connected to the Jewish service of the Old Testament. It so closely related that the reader has a much better understanding of Christianity. And realizes the magic of Catholicism and all religions. As well as a fuller understanding of present day Mass. The reader sees all the parallels of Christianity throug ...more
James Chapman
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeper understanding of Christ and the Last Supper

As a former reformer I was interested in Scot's pilgrimage. Reformed roots run deep, and are tough to challenge in the presence of God's sovereignty and the discussion of free will. The book opens up new avenues of thought and Biblical interpretation I have not been exposed to previously. It is a marvelous journey based on the author's keen insight, sensitivity to the subject matter, and non-combative posture for those who might hold a different
L Frost
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an insightful and informative book. But it had some ambiguous reasoning especially towards the end and left a lot of unanswered questions. His discussion of the Seder, the cups, the Passover language and how those are woven through the gospels especially John was very good. A lot of the information wasn’t new to me including how the theme of Passover and the Lamb extends from the Old Testament through the New Testament. I thought it was very interesting to read about his discovery of the ...more
Joseph
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring partial autobiography and investigation into the final day of Jesus’ life. As the preface describes, the book does indeed unfold as a mystery, with the initial question arising from a sermon (what did Jesus mean when he said “It is finished”). The author then delves in that question with meticulous research and a bit of divine inspiration along the way. The author (as in previous books) parallels his own life and spiritual evolution with that of the how his conclusions came about. Of n ...more
Sharon Cate
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It moved me and made me see the image of the Passover Lamb in a fresh light. After reading about how the Passover Lamb was roasted on wooden cross beams, I googled the image of a cruciform Passover Lamb. I was shaken to my core at the sight. Truly as John said, “Jesus is the Lamb of God which takes away the sin of the world. “ What did Jesus mean when He said, “It is finished.” from the cross? I had always answered God’s plan of redemption. This book pointed out that God’s pla ...more
Ginae B.
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt, this is one of the best religion books that we have read in a real long time. We read a lot of quality books. However, this one stands heads above so many.

Author Scott Hahn has access to and presents a vast wealth of knowledge. He knows how to present the story and to keep the reader intrigued. Recipient's of our newfound information are blown away. What did Jesus mean when he stated on the Cross that it was finished?

We do not wish to spoil anything for you. We don't. What we wi
Thomas J. Conlin Jr.
And we take Eucharist for granted

Scott Hahn shares with us his road to understanding the Catholic Mass. A journey he states was not easy. His longing to understand the 4th cup leads him to research with fervor the Paschal mystery with its roots in the Jewish Passover meal. Although a short book it is packed with page after page of researched and documented facts leading to his final answer. A must read for those interested in the Mass as well as the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion hold
Denise Spicer
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This brief book (281 pages, 14 chapters) with punny subtitles is another of Hahn's excellent, readable discourses. Interspesed with some brief personal info about his conversion from Presbyterian pastor to Roman Catholic speaker and apologist. The author explains the connections between the ancient Jewish Pasover and the Last Supper as still commemorated today in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Mass. Details from early Church history and Scripture enrich the discussion. Includes Notes and Bibliog ...more
Maria Clancy
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read!

I love how accessible Scott Hahn makes theology. He uses his own story of conversion to move through the layers of the theological idea of the Fourth Cup. I was worried when I found out that he used his conversion story that it would be a lot of the same from "Rome Sweet Home", but that wasn't the case at all.

Very quick and easy read with very deep content. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for some deeper context to the Last Supper. If you are looking
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: The fourth cup by Scott Hahn: join editions 4 222 Sep 30, 2019 12:32PM

• Jesus and the Jewish Roots of Mary: Unveiling the Mother of the Messiah
  • No Greater Love: A Biblical Walk Through Christ's Passion
  • Consecration to St. Joseph: The Wonders of Our Spiritual Father
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
  • Jesus the Bridegroom: The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
  • A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy
  • Why We're Catholic: Our Reasons for Faith, Hope, and Love
  • Letter to a Suffering Church: A Bishop Speaks on the Sexual Abuse Crisis
  • The Name of God is Mercy
  • Rediscover the Saints: Twenty-Five Questions That Will Change Your Life
See top shelves…
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their twelfth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and ...more

News & Interviews

“Redemptive suffering is an essential part of our master story. This is what it means for us to bear the image and likeness of God. By the power of the Holy Spirit, our suffering refines our charity, just as our charity transforms our suffering into a living sacrifice that allows God to have his way into our lives.” 2 likes
“San Agustín explica que el sufrimiento es la herencia desde que Adán mezcló nuestra copa de dolor y fatigas. A nadie se le dispensa de ese cáliz, el llanto del recién nacido da fe de ello. Nuestra naturaleza se resiste a él. Jesús responde ante el dolor aceptándolo y sometiéndose a él. Jesús no está libre de temores pero están ordenados. En Getsemaní teme lo que va a suceder pero es mayor su temor a desobedecer la voluntad del Padre.
Jesús enseña que hay cosas por encima de la vida física. Hay un cielo que no es algo lejano en el espacio ni en el tiempo. Empieza con nosotros en el Bautismo y crece cada vez que bebemos la Copa Eucarística.”
1 likes