Start by marking “The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle” as Want to Read:
The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle

The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle

It's 1982 in Australia. THE MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER is a box office hit and Paul Hogan is on the TV.

In a seaside suburb, housewife Theresa takes up swimming. She wants to get fit; she also wants a few precious minutes to herself. So at sunrise each day she strikes out past the waves.

From the same beach, the widowed Marie swims. With her husband gone, bathing is the one

Kindle Edition
Published July 23rd 2019 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle

Start your review of The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle
Carolyn
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four very different women arrange to meet for a daily swim at an Australian beachside suburb. Marie, a widow who has been swimming daily all her life, lonely Elaine who has recently moved from England with her surgeon husband, leaving her adult children and friends behind, Theresa married to a man who would rather spend time at the pub with his mates than with her and their children and Leanne, a young nurse who has few friends and has just learned to swim. Together they share the lows and highs ...more
Brenda
By the ocean in the suburb of Shelly Bay in NSW, four women lived their lives. They didn’t know one another, but soon they would. Theresa, mother of two young children, a husband who never helped around the house and her Nonna all lived in one house; Elaine, originally from England where her two adult sons still resided moved to Shelly Bay with her Australian surgeon husband, James. Marie, widowed for the past five years had a quiet, lonely existence while Leanne kept her past locked away, ...more
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

**4.5 stars**

The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Club by Sophie Green. (2019).

It's 1982 in Australia. Housewife Theresa takes up swimming at sunrise to get fit and have a few minutes to herself. Marie, a widower, swims from the same beach as it's her one constant in her new life without her husband. 25 year old Leanne suffered through a trauma and relies on herself only. She's a nurse to help others but she resists help for herself. Elaine
Marianne
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“In the past she's never had reason to contemplate the idea that families aren't necessarily made from blood. Now she knows that the family you create, voluntarily, can bring joy instead of pain, and support and love and strength.”

The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle is the second novel by Australian publisher and author, Sophie Green. Even if her husband has mentioned her weight more that once recently, that’s absolutely not the reason that Theresa Howard is planning a daily ocean swim.
Kathy
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FABulous read again by Sophie Green who has the ability to make you feel comfortable and at home with all your friends. The book is set on the beautiful NSW coast in the 1980's, about four women who meet and come together to swim every morning and development their bonds through loss, grief, inspiration, family and very special friendships. Each of their stories was great and how they all leaned on each other was lovely. This testament to friendship, like Sophie’s previous book, is an easy 5 ...more
Sharah McConville
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle was the August pick for Books With Heart Book Club. It took me a few attempts to get into this story but then I ended up enjoying it. It's a story about new friendships, family tragedies and relationships.
Helen
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not sure where to start with this book, I can tell you how fabulous it is and how much I loved it and how well this one is written and that MS Green has bought together four strangers who over the seasons of a couple of years swim and become the best of friends who are there for each other no matter what, it is set in the beautiful beachside suburb of Shelly Bay and that it really is a must read.

Theresa is married to Andrew they have two children and Theresa has decided that she wants to
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰

Copy received from Hachette Australia for an honest review

I enjoyed Sophie Green's first book, so it was a treat to receive an early copy of The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle.

Stories with an ensemble cast can go one of two ways from me - it can be well written and I thoroughly enjoy meeting all the characters, or it can be train wreck.

Thankfully, this book was the first, and I have enjoyed reading each day in my lunch break.

As an adult, I know how hard it can be to make new friends - I
Kathryn
I loved this story of 4 women who meet when they start swimming at the beach, but their acquaintance grows into a friendship and they become involved in each others lives.

I listened to it as an audiobook, and Anthea Greco is a wonderful narrator - I could easily tell which of the four women were talking.

I loved the description of the water and the beach and swimming. It spurred me on to exercise, although my exercise is mostly done on land, but it was still nice to listen to these women battling
Tracey Anderson
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A truly lovely book that had me captured from the start.
Four women of varying ages and life experiences are bought together by the urge to take up swimming. Marie, a widow and has swum all her life. Elaine has just arrived in Australia with her surgeon husband and is lonely and depressed.
Theresa has two young children and desperately wants some me time. She also wants to get fit after her husband tells her she's getting fat, and Leanne is a nurse with a tragic past.
These women will become a
Julie Garner
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fiction
I received an ARC of this book.
Sophie Green has a lovely way with words and bringing together a group of women who, from the outside, don’t make sense. As with Fairvale Ladies Book Club, these women have one thing that unites them, swimming at the beach at sunrise. As they begin to swim together, they begin to share and friendships are born.
This book is set in the early eighties and each of the four women are undergoing some sort of decision about their lives. Will they choose the change or stay
Joanne
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four women from every different backgrounds meet on the beach and they decide to start swimming together. None of them realize the effect that this will eventual have on all of their lives.

This is a novel about friendship and the unexpected places you can find it. It is about family both the one your a born with and the one you select for yourself. It is about love, life and moving on.

It is also very much about identity and sense of self and what we do to ourselves.

This book will have you
Win
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great read from Sophie Green. Some wonderful characters & others with some very undesirable traits that you love to hate.
Anna Loder
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the concept of different people in different stages accidentally becoming great friends. I loved all the ladies and their stories. I loved the exploration of the love swimmers have with the water. It was just a lovely read. Lovely themes lovingly explored
Nicole
The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle is the second book from Australian author, Sophie Green. I thoroughly enjoyed Green’s first book, The Inaugural Meeting of the Fairvale Ladies Book Club, so I found myself looking forward to this one. Thanks to winning a copy through Hachette Book Australia and Books With Heart, I had the opportunity to read The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle sooner rather then later. I immediately found myself immersed in the lives of four, unique women whose stories ...more
CB
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
An easy read that started really well for the first half but then started going downhill in terms of story development and the characters I got bored with. Happy endings all round but too saccharine for my taste
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle by Sophie Green is an inspirational and heartwarming testament to female friendship.

In need of some time for herself, busy wife and mother Theresa Howard opts for a daily dawn swim at Shelly Bay Beach. It’s there that she meets the widowed Marie, who has swum from Shelly Bay to Little Beach, and back again, almost every morning of her long life. The two women are soon joined by Elaine Schaeffer, the British wife of an Australian heart surgeon, who is
Cherie
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This was a really beautiful book about unconditional friendship.

Four women from different backgrounds, with different problems and at different stages of their lives slowly become friends after becoming a swimming group at a beach in 80's Victoria Australia. They become more involved in each others lives and become very important to each other when there are inevitable struggles such as marriage problems, past issues, death, illness and various other things.

Each chapter is told from
Pam Tickner
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars. A light weight but enjoyable book about a lonely group of ladies of varying ages and circumstances who find friendship when swimming at dawn each morning.
Michelle
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, if I could I would give it 10 stars
Reannon Bowen
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet & easy read that tugs at your heart, makes you want to swim in the ocean & hug your girlfriends.
Laurena
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy read
Denise Tannock
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book about friendship between ladies who seem to have not much in common but a shared desire to swim. Or do they have more on common that initially thought???
Candida Waterford
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the friendships that grew between the women and their enjoyment in the swims daily
Cassie Hamer
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story about the power of female friendships and the power of the natural world as a thread linking all of us. I don't normally cry in books, but this one brought me very, very close.
Jessica M
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it

The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle is the latest novel from Australian author Sophie Green, this time introducing us to a fantastic group of women who bond over their love of the water.

The book is set in 1980s NSW, but there is so much about these women and their lives that can be understood by readers who may not have memories of the 1980s. These four women confront loss, grief, relationships, family, adultery, friendships, addictions, and mental health. Sophie Green
Bree T
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the September read for an online bookclub I am a part of and because the year is going so quick, I only realised the other day so I quickly put in a request at my local library and the book, although checked out until late in the month, was miraculously returned and waiting for me within days. I ended up reading it the day I picked it up, just to make sure I was super prepared for the up and coming discussion!

The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle is set focusing around a small beach town
Camila - Books Through My Veins
- thanks to @hachetteaus for sending the copy my way

NSW, 1982. Housewife Theresa takes up swimming. She wants to get fit and also wants a few precious minutes to herself. Widowed Marie swims; with her husband gone, swimming is the one constant in her new life. Leanne only has herself to rely on; she became a nurse to help others, even as she resists help herself. Elaine has recently moved from England; far from home, her closest friend is a gin bottle...

I found myself immediately immersed in the
Joanne D'Arcy
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
1980s Australia.

4 women.

Marie - widow. Takes to the waters of the bay pretty much every day at sunrise. Swimming is her constant, the reason she gets up every morning.

Theresa - housewife. Needs some space for herself and to be herself. No husband demanding, no children wanting. No being pulled in all directions. Theresa would like to get fit and swimming seems a good option.

Elaine - housewife. Recently moved from England leaving everything she knows behind apart from her Australian husband. She
Katie
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
“It’s a moment for being gloriously, ineffably pleased with life.”

The days are getting longer and lighter and brighter and these first few days of spring are the perfect time for reading books like The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle. I was gifted this book by the good people at @hachetteaus and was delighted by the joyful optimism within its pages. •
It’s a simple formula - four disparate women with seemingly nothing in common gradually bond when they meet each day to embark on an ocean swim
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Diamond Hunter
  • The Lost Summers of Driftwood
  • Wearing Paper Dresses
  • The Weekend
Sophie Green is an author and publisher who lives in Sydney. She has written several fiction and non-fiction books, some under other names. In her spare time she writes about country music on her blog, Jolene. She fell in love with the Northern Territory the first time she visited and subsequent visits inspired the story in THE INAUGURAL MEETING OF THE FAIRVALE LADIES BOOK CLUB.