Start by marking “Mooncakes” as Want to Read:
Mooncakes

Mooncakes

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  3,227 ratings  ·  1,482 reviews
A story of love and demons, family and witchcraft.

Nova Huang knows more about magic than your average teen witch. She works at her grandmothers' bookshop, where she helps them loan out spell books and investigate any supernatural occurrences in their New England town.

One fateful night, she follows reports of a white wolf into the woods, and she comes across the unexpected:
Published October 22nd 2019 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Mooncakes, please sign up.
Julia I believe it will be. The arc I received was for kindle

·  3,227 ratings  ·  1,482 reviews

Start your review of Mooncakes
Melanie

ARC acquired at Book Expo in exchange for an honest review.

“The next full moon snuck up on me…”

Oh friends, this was truly the graphic novel I’ve been waiting forever for. From witchy magic, to unconditional family and found family love, to being the person you want to be on your own time, to the cutest F/NB relationship ever, I am so in love with Mooncakes!

One night, in a sleepy and paranormal New England town, a witch follows a white wolf into the woods. She doesn’t know what to expect,
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"...but this feels right, doesn't it?"

description

This was such a soft and lovely story filled with so many magical moments. From it's amazing cast of characters to its storyline that had me hooked from the start. Mooncakes was a joy to behold and the romance between Tam and Nova gave me all the feels. Tam is a non-binary werewolf and Nova is a chinese-american queer witch that lives with her two (kickass) grandmothers. I enjoyed the art style and the narrative kept me turning the pages. This was
Chloe
This was absolutely everything. I loved everything about this. The characters, the witchy vibes, the representation, the illustrations, the relationships, EVERYTHING! I can't wait to get a final copy when it comes out in October so I can see all of the full colour illustrations. PICK THIS UP IN OCTOBER FRIENDS!

I received an ARC of this at BookExpo
Teodora
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I see a very adorable graphic novel about witches and sweets, I automatically and unequivocally press 'want to read'.
No questions asked.
And it was worth it because it was soo cute and funny and lovely! I really loved it!

Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an e-copy for an honest review!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was so pure and sweet and soft and QUEER AS HECK and I am so, so happy
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I never knew how much I needed this precious graphic novel about a queer hard-of-hearing witch and a nonbinary werewolf (both Chinese-American) childhood-friends-to-lovers relationship, but WOW, here we are and this is going to be one of my favorite releases of the year, no doubt at all.

Because I'm having a hard time putting into normal review formatting how much I loved this, let the bullets do their thing:

• DIVERSITY FOR DAAAAYYYYYS
• Not only are both MCs Chinese-American and queer, but Nova
Barbie
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it

My thoughts in a nutshell
It could've been better.
Let's start with what I adored this graphic novel.
I enjoyed the drawing style. It is gorgeous. I really like that the main character is non-binary and another protagonist is half Chinese-half American queer witch. I think the diversity works very well in this novel.
The family dynamic and friendship is powerful. It is a vital part of the comic.
I don't like the in medias res beginning. This novel didn't have a reasonable starting point or
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
4 / 5 stars

[ e-ARC received from NetGalley ]

Adorable Story
Beautiful Artwork
Family Dynamic
Magic
Super Cute Main Characters

This will be one of the books that I will buy for sure when it comes out although I’ve already read it. It has everything that I want in one book and the representation of someone who has a hearing disability is really nice.

P.S. I’m so thankful to Netgalley and the publisher who gave an opportunity to me to read this book.
C.G. Drews
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
what even is there to say except this is INCREDIBLE and lovely; a magically inclusive story of finding your home and not facing your battles alone. I am pretty much just a heart eyes pile of smush which, to be frank, is an excellent book recommendation in itself. This reminded me of The Tea Dragon Society and maybe a little of Sabrina, The Teenage Witch (but this is queerer and softer). It was just a delight! I could thoroughly read an entire series about Tam and Nova!!

the diversity gave me such
Whitney Atkinson
Thanks to Oni Press for the advanced review copy!

This book was charming and a fresh perspective from a diverse cast. I loved that the love interest is non-binary and the main character wears hearing aids, and all were discussed so naturally. This is definitely a great book to come out in October because the cozy and fall vibe of this book is definitely there. But although it was quick and cute, I found it to be a bit cookie cutter and generic, plot-wise. It almost reads like a middle grade
Lucy Langford
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was so cute and included so many things that I adored!

This had everything for a great graphic novel- witches, demons, werewolves, friendship, family and love. It also included cults, sadistic plans and occult rituals.

Nova is a witch, working with her two Nana’s (both witches) in their rather unique bookstore. They procure certain books that help with spell research and work; from curses to potions to igniting magic. The family also do a little witchcraft on the side to help with
sue
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book will be published 15th October 2019

〰My very first graphic novel and I adored it〰

This book is so up to date with life. It has queer witch who is very hard of hearing. Which makes it great to read as it’s a disability that prevails many (even if they aren’t a witch!)

And a Chinese/America werewolf. How awesome is this to introduce nonbinary characters.

Nova also has two Grandmothers who are in a relationship with each other.

I felt this layout around Nova was absolutely great. In today’s
Jessica
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book for free from The Book Drop.

Omg this book was so cute! It was cozy and fluffy and just plain adorable!

First off, I loved the artwork! I had an ARC so I only had a little bit of the full color artwork, but from what I saw, it is amazing. The artwork gave the book a really cozy and autumn feel, which matched the entire vibe of the book.

I also loved the representation. Nova is queer, Chinese American, hard-of-hearing, and has two grandmothers who are in a
Christy
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A story of love and demons, family and witchcraft.

Mooncakes was the cutest thing I’ve read in ages! And the artwork was fabulous. I loved Nova, Tam, and the Nanas. It was a fun, action packed read and I have a feeling I’ll pick it back up around Halloween because it's absolutely perfect for fall!
Hamad
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, 2019-reads, arcs
This Review Blog Twitter Instagram

ARC provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange of an honest review!

This has been getting all the 5 stars and all the love recently and so I had to check what all of this is about! I feel like I am not fair to comics and picture books and I always give the same reason: It was just because I started those with my currently favorite comic which is Saga. The writing, characters, drawing and story-line are all perfect in that one! I am looking for
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for the e-arc!

REP: both MC's are Chinese American, Nova is hard-of-hearing, wears hearing aids and is queer, Tam is nonbinary, f/f relationship between Nova's grandma's.

T H I N G S I L O V E D :
- so cute and fun!
- loved the magical Autumn vibes!
- the relationships are SO cute (between Tam & Nova, between the grandmas AND the female friendship between Nova and her muggle bestie is so well done)
- THE MAGIC DOOR TO THE ENCHANTED FOREST WITH THE SPIRIT

visuals: A+++
representation: a+
made me smile: a+
humor: a

overall, i would give my life for these babies
Silvia
That was a lovely story about a nonbinary werewolf and their childhood friend (who's queer and uses hearing aids) reconnecting and defeating evil! I highly recommend it.
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mooncakes was one of the most adorable, wonderful graphic novels I have ever read.

At the center of it are Nova, a female witch who is hard-of-hearing, and Tam, a non-binary werewolf. Both characters are also Chinese-American. I loved both characters so much, they are really strong, well-written characters with great character development.
There is such an absolutely adorable friends-to-lovers romance between the two that ended up making me feel super emotional. There was such a great development
Alexa
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Holy moly, that was delightful! I really liked the illustration style, enjoyed the plot and loved the characters a whole lot. Such a fun read!
Kayla Dawn
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3,5* - I really adored the art style of this one, it's incredibly cute.
I love the diversity and portrayal of a loving and caring family.
Sadly the plot itself felt pretty rushed. Especially towards the end everything happened way to fast.
And I wish we've gotten a little more time for character development.

Overall still an enjoyable read!
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Graphic novels are not usually my first choice of books. But after seeing the book cover, I couldn't resist the urge. I just had to read Mooncakes.

Mooncakes is a cute paranormal story, filled with magic, love, family... In a paranormal city, Nova, a teen witch goes to the woods and follows a white wolf. It turns out that the wolf is her high-school crush, Tam. It would all be lovely, but Tam is in life danger and needs help. The two girls help
Jocelyn
ok i definitely need more soft stories about hard of hearing witches please and thank you
Calista
I love the fact that book uses a Gender Non-conforming character and the book is wonderful at using They/Them pronouns. The relationship in the story is touching and cute. That is the part of the story I enjoyed.

I was looking forward to reading this story about witches. It had been on my TBR list for months and I requested at the library back in August. I had high hopes for this story. I do think the characters are decent, but something did not work for me. The whole demon in the woods didn't
Boston
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-2019
Everything about this graphic novel was exactly what I wanted. The art style was adorable and the colors were very aesthetically pleasing. The cute romance between the two main characters was fantastic and despite this being a very quick read, didn't seem rushed at all. Above all, the representation in this was amazing. We got to see queer grandmas, a non-binary main character, and a queer and hard of hearing main character. Definitely recommend if you're a fan of cute, witchy graphic novels.
Amy Imogene Reads
Mooncakes is the queer, witchy tale that we're all looking forward to this season—and it definitely delivers on its cute vibes.

Art:
Characters:
Pacing:

Nova Huang is a hearing-impaired witch living with her two grandmothers and helping them run their local bookstore. Hidden in plain sight, these witches make a cute living as booksellers and overall peacekeepers for the town. One day, Nova finds a white wolf in the woods battling a demon—in a surprising turn of events, the wolf turns out to be
Hollis
This graphic novel about witches, werewolves, and magic, is adorable, queer, and inclusive. There is a ton of every day representation mixed in amongst the magical, the bittersweet, and the fantastical. But I think where this would've been a bigger success for me is if more time had been spent in the set-up.

The reunion between these two main characters is very unexpected and things between them seem sped up while the reader is left trying to catch up to the why and how the all the backstory. We
Nina
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, arc
*ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This was so cute and so entertaining! I really enjoyed reading Mooncakes!

instagram || my blog || twitter
Tana △⃒⃘ ⚯͛ Cozyreadings
16/09/2019

Thank you to Netgalley for the advanced copy, in exchange for an honest review

3.5 witchy stars

I have a feeling this might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't feel like this book lived up to the
hype for me. It's not that this was bad, it wasn't at all! The family dynamic was adorable, the friendship and magic was cute, and I loved the drawing style. I just didn't feel the romance a lot. The fact that they hadn't seen eachother for years, and then in the span of one day they fall
Maya
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

I loved everything about this story. From the plot, the characters and illustrations. everything just fit together and made the story really enjoyable and simply a fun PNR read with so many magical creatures. I wish this was a series, since I would really like to know more about these two main characters lives and how their journey continues. But as it is now, is also amazing. We get ending we wish and all is good. To be honest it's been awhile since

• The Tea Dragon Festival
  • Unplugged and Unpopular
  • Stargazing
  • Kriss: The Gift of Wrath
  • Stage Dreams
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Bloodlust & Bonnets
  • No Ivy League
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • Bury the Lede
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Are You Listening?