Start by marking “Mooncakes” as Want to Read:
Mooncakes

Mooncakes

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  9,694 ratings  ·  2,829 reviews
A story of love and demons, family and witchcraft.

Nova Huang knows more about magic than your average teen witch. She works at her grandmothers' bookshop, where she helps them loan out spell books and investigate any supernatural occurrences in their New England town.

One fateful night, she follows reports of a white wolf into the woods, and she comes across the unexpected:
Published October 22nd 2019 by Oni Press

·  9,694 ratings  ·  2,829 reviews

Start your review of Mooncakes
Melanie

ARC acquired at Book Expo in exchange for an honest review.

“The next full moon snuck up on me…”

Oh friends, this was truly the graphic novel I’ve been waiting forever for. From witchy magic, to unconditional family and found family love, to being the person you want to be on your own time, to the cutest F/NB relationship ever, I am so in love with Mooncakes!

One night, in a sleepy and paranormal New England town, a witch follows a white wolf into the woods. She doesn’t know what to ex
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"...but this feels right, doesn't it?"

description

This was such a soft and lovely story filled with so many magical moments. From it's amazing cast of characters to its storyline that had me hooked from the start. Mooncakes was a joy to behold and the romance between Tam and Nova gave me all the feels. Tam is a non-binary werewolf and Nova is a chinese-american queer witch that lives with her two (kickass) grandmothers. I enjoyed the art style and the narrative kept me turning the pages. This was s
Chloe
This was absolutely everything. I loved everything about this. The characters, the witchy vibes, the representation, the illustrations, the relationships, EVERYTHING! I can't wait to get a final copy when it comes out in October so I can see all of the full colour illustrations. PICK THIS UP IN OCTOBER FRIENDS!

I received an ARC of this at BookExpo
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I never knew how much I needed this precious graphic novel about a queer hard-of-hearing witch and a nonbinary werewolf (both Chinese-American) childhood-friends-to-lovers relationship, but WOW, here we are and this is going to be one of my favorite releases of the year, no doubt at all.

Because I'm having a hard time putting into normal review formatting how much I loved this, let the bullets do their thing:

• DIVERSITY FOR DAAAAYYYYYS
• Not only are both MCs Chinese-American and queer, but Nova
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer
This was so pure and sweet and soft and QUEER AS HECK and I am so, so happy
 Teodora
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I see a very adorable graphic novel about witches and sweets, I automatically and unequivocally press 'want to read'.
No questions asked.
And it was worth it because it was soo cute and funny and lovely! I really loved it!

Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an e-copy for an honest review!
Barbie
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it

My thoughts in a nutshell
It could've been better.
Let's start with what I adored this graphic novel.
I enjoyed the drawing style. It is gorgeous. I really like that the main character is non-binary and another protagonist is half Chinese-half American queer witch. I think the diversity works very well in this novel.
The family dynamic and friendship is powerful. It is a vital part of the comic.
I don't like the in medias res beginning. This novel didn't have a reasonable starting point or accurat
C.G. Drews
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
what even is there to say except this is INCREDIBLE and lovely; a magically inclusive story of finding your home and not facing your battles alone. I am pretty much just a heart eyes pile of smush which, to be frank, is an excellent book recommendation in itself. This reminded me of The Tea Dragon Society and maybe a little of Sabrina, The Teenage Witch (but this is queerer and softer). It was just a delight! I could thoroughly read an entire series about Tam and Nova!!

the diversity gave me such
demi. ♡

Beautiful Artwork ✔️
Family Dynamic ✔️
Magic ✔️
Super Cute Main Characters ✔️

This will be one of the books that I will buy for sure when it comes out although I’ve already read it. It has everything that I want in one book and the representation of someone who has a hearing disability is really nice. 💛

P.S. I’m so thankful to Netgalley and the publisher who gave an opportunity to me to read this book.
Whitney Atkinson
Thanks to Oni Press for the advanced review copy!

This book was charming and a fresh perspective from a diverse cast. I loved that the love interest is non-binary and the main character wears hearing aids, and all were discussed so naturally. This is definitely a great book to come out in October because the cozy and fall vibe of this book is definitely there. But although it was quick and cute, I found it to be a bit cookie cutter and generic, plot-wise. It almost reads like a middle grade becau
Cristina Monica
This was absolutely heartwarming. I am delighted to have had the chance to read it. It's like a tight and warm hug from a loved one. Read it if you can :)
Lucy Langford
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was so cute and included so many things that I adored!

This had everything for a great graphic novel- witches, demons, werewolves, friendship, family and love. It also included cults, sadistic plans and occult rituals.

Nova is a witch, working with her two Nana’s (both witches) in their rather unique bookstore. They procure certain books that help with spell research and work; from curses to potions to igniting magic. The family also do a little witchcraft on the side to help with neighbourho
Sue
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
➖This book will be published 15th October 2019➖

〰️My very first graphic novel and I adored it〰️

This book is so up to date with life. It has queer witch who is very hard of hearing. Which makes it great to read as it’s a disability that prevails many (even if they aren’t a witch!)

And a Chinese/America werewolf. How awesome is this to introduce nonbinary characters.

Nova also has two Grandmothers who are in a relationship with each other.

I felt this layout around Nova was absolutely great. In today’
Ashley Nuckles
SO PRECIOUS. I LOVE.
Jessica
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book for free from The Book Drop.

Omg this book was so cute! It was cozy and fluffy and just plain adorable!

First off, I loved the artwork! I had an ARC so I only had a little bit of the full color artwork, but from what I saw, it is amazing. The artwork gave the book a really cozy and autumn feel, which matched the entire vibe of the book.

I also loved the representation. Nova is queer, Chinese American, hard-of-hearing, and has two grandmothers who are in a relationsh
Christy
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A story of love and demons, family and witchcraft.

Mooncakes was the cutest thing I’ve read in ages! And the artwork was fabulous. I loved Nova, Tam, and the Nanas. It was a fun, action packed read and I have a feeling I’ll pick it back up around Halloween because it's absolutely perfect for fall!
Hamad
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, e-books, 2019-reads
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

ARC provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange of an honest review!

🌟 This has been getting all the 5 stars and all the love recently and so I had to check what all of this is about! I feel like I am not fair to comics and picture books and I always give the same reason: It was just because I started those with my currently favorite comic which is Saga. The writing, characters, drawing and story-line are all perfect in that one! I am looking
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for the e-arc!

REP: both MC's are Chinese American, Nova is hard-of-hearing, wears hearing aids and is queer, Tam is nonbinary, f/f relationship between Nova's grandma's.

T H I N G S I L O V E D :
- so cute and fun!
- loved the magical Autumn vibes!
- the relationships are SO cute (between Tam & Nova, between the grandmas AND the female friendship between Nova and her muggle bestie is so well done)
- THE MAGIC DOOR TO THE ENCHANTED FOREST WITH THE SPIRIT C
Book Roast
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Absolutely stunning artwork, beautiful magic system. However, the plot was extremely weak, the story seemed secondary to characters which in turn made it difficult for me to get attached to them. Romance felt very rushed even though history was indicated, it was off page and so felt more insta-love than anything else.
Overachieving, majorly powerful adults who let the teens go risk their lives always baffle me and pull me out of the story with "wait but why".
Very cute but a miss for me.
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Graphic novels are not usually my first choice of books. But after seeing the book cover, I couldn't resist the urge. I just had to read Mooncakes.

Mooncakes is a cute paranormal story, filled with magic, love, family... In a paranormal city, Nova, a teen witch goes to the woods and follows a white wolf. It turns out that the wolf is her high-school crush, Tam. It would all be lovely, but Tam is in life danger and needs help. The two girls help eac
Isabella
REPORT CARD

cuteness: a+
autumn vibes: a++
visuals: A+++
representation: a+
made me smile: a+
humor: a

overall, i would give my life for these babies
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mooncakes was one of the most adorable, wonderful graphic novels I have ever read.

At the center of it are Nova, a female witch who is hard-of-hearing, and Tam, a non-binary werewolf. Both characters are also Chinese-American. I loved both characters so much, they are really strong, well-written characters with great character development.
There is such an absolutely adorable friends-to-lovers romance between the two that ended up making me feel super emotional. There was such a great development
Silvia
That was a lovely story about a nonbinary werewolf and their childhood friend (who's queer and uses hearing aids) reconnecting and defeating evil! I highly recommend it.
K. Elizabeth
Give me anything with magic and there's a 90% chance I'm going to love it. Add some fun art, a w|w relationship, quirky characters, and you've got a story!
Calista
I love the fact that book uses a Gender Non-conforming character and the book is wonderful at using They/Them pronouns. The relationship in the story is touching and cute. That is the part of the story I enjoyed.

I was looking forward to reading this story about witches. It had been on my TBR list for months and I requested at the library back in August. I had high hopes for this story. I do think the characters are decent, but something did not work for me. The whole demon in the woods didn't se
Kayla Dawn
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3,5* - I really adored the art style of this one, it's incredibly cute.
I love the diversity and portrayal of a loving and caring family.
Sadly the plot itself felt pretty rushed. Especially towards the end everything happened way to fast.
And I wish we've gotten a little more time for character development.

Overall still an enjoyable read!
Alexa
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Holy moly, that was delightful! I really liked the illustration style, enjoyed the plot and loved the characters a whole lot. Such a fun read!
Kate (GirlReading)
4.5* MY HEART IS SO FULL RIGHT NOW.

Everything about this book from the story to the characters to the relationships to the artwork to the adorable spirits was gorgeous, wholesome and wonderfully magical.
jocelyn
ok i definitely need more soft stories about hard of hearing witches please and thank you
Amy Imogene Reads
Mooncakes is the queer, witchy tale that we're all looking forward to this season—and it definitely delivers on its cute vibes.

Art: ★★★★★
Characters: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★★

Nova Huang is a hearing-impaired witch living with her two grandmothers and helping them run their local bookstore. Hidden in plain sight, these witches make a cute living as booksellers and overall peacekeepers for the town. One day, Nova finds a white wolf in the woods battling a demon—in a surprising turn of events, the wolf turn
Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - July 28 1 7 Jul 28, 2020 08:07AM
ARTBA 2020: Mooncakes 1 8 Apr 14, 2020 03:23PM

• The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Witchy
  • The Tea Dragon Tapestry (Tea Dragon, #3)
  • Snapdragon
  • Stargazing
  • The Okay Witch
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Bloom
  • Dewdrop
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones

Articles featuring this book

Want to encourage young readers to keep up their reading habits? Look no further than this year's buzziest YA and middle-grade graphic...