Start by marking “Mooncakes” as Want to Read:
Mooncakes

Mooncakes

A story of love and demons, family and witchcraft.

Nova Huang knows more about magic than your average teen witch. She works at her grandmothers' bookshop, where she helps them loan out spell books and investigate any supernatural occurrences in their New England town.

One fateful night, she follows reports of a white wolf into the woods, and she comes across the unexpected:
Expected publication: October 15th 2019 by Lion Forge

To ask other readers questions about Mooncakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mooncakes

Melanie

ARC acquired at Book Expo in exchange for an honest review.

“The next full moon snuck up on me…”

Oh friends, this was truly the graphic novel I’ve been waiting forever for. From witchy magic, to unconditional family and found family love, to being the person you want to be on your own time, to the cutest F/NB relationship ever, I am so in love with Mooncakes!

One night, in a sleepy and paranormal New England town, a witch follows a white wolf into the woods. She doesn’t know what to expect, bu
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was so pure and sweet and soft and QUEER AS HECK and I am so, so happy
Alexa
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holy moly, that was delightful! I really liked the illustration style, enjoyed the plot and loved the characters a whole lot. Such a fun read!
Jocelyn
ok i definitely need more soft stories about hard of hearing witches please and thank you
Amy Risner
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So cute and full of so much good. RTC!

Read during Summerathon. Buddy read with Jocelyn and Melanie!
Liv (Stories For Coffee)
A cute, quick graphic novel. I wish the magic system and the new main characters’ previous relationship was more fleshed out and detailed, but it was an adorable story that gave me all the autumn vibes.

DIVERSE REP.
- Both MCs are Chinese Americans + queer
- Tam is non-binary
- Nova is hard of hearing.
Acqua
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mooncakes is a paranormal graphic novel following two Chinese-American childhood best friends, Tam Lang, a genderqueer werewolf, and Nova Huang, a hard-of-hearing queer witch, as they reconnect, fall in love, and solve a mystery involving a demon.

It's a cute and fun read, if really predictable; I especially appreciated how this wasn't only a story about a romance, but also about the importance of a supportive family, blood or found. Another thing I really liked were the small references to YA bo
maya b
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3 🌟---------------------------------------------
ARC kindly provided by the publishers through netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you.

This was adorable. It was exactly what it said it was. Sweet, lighthearted and magical. There was a non-binary werewolf dating a witch. I love the representation because I hardly see non-binary characters in fiction. I loved the themes of love, friendship and family.

Overall all i can say is that this graphic novel was cute and sweet.

For me pe
Ness (Vynexa)
I received an eGalley of Mooncakes via NetGalley.

Nova is a witch, Tam is a werewolf. can I make it anymore obvious?

this graphic novel spills New England vibes. it made me miss living there, especially the feeling of Autumn.

this story is so cute! Nova and Tam are both Chinese American and Queer, Nova is hard-of-hearing and Tam is non-binary (which I love as an Enby myself) Nova’s best friend Tat is fat rep and she loves Science which is amazing!

I love the family dynamic (Nova’s grandmothers are
Flora ❀
Jun 15, 2019 marked it as wish-list
Shelves: to-be-released
i'm like a new type of werewolf. i see the word moon and i start howling
julia ♥
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Mooncakes was such a quick and entertaining read, perfect for the Halloween months. The book centers around two childhood crushes, a hard-hearing witch, and a non-binary werewolf. Tam and Nova have an adorable dynamic. The book is a little predictable and contrived at times, but it still manages to pull you in with the great characterisations and fun art style. However fun the book was, I have to admit to not be fully invested in the plot especially. However, I loved the diversity of the book an ...more
Isabel
Mooncakes is the kind of novel that will warm your heart and put a smile on your face. Seriously, you won't stop grinning as you read.

It follows Tam and Nova, two childhood friends that lost touch over the years but reunite when Tam returns to town. There is a demon haunting the forest and it seems Tam is the key to unraveling it.

It's a paranormal contemporary where Tam is a werewolf and, Nova and her family are witches. Tam is nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns, and Nova is hard-of-hearing a
Maia
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet, magical story about friendship developing into romance, coming of age in the shadow of forceful parents, and getting in touch with the true source of one's own power. Nova Huang is a teen witch, living with her two grandmas after the death of her parents. She helps them take care of supernatural disturbances in their New England hometown. One night while investigating rumors in the woods, she discovers that her childhood crush, werewolf Tam Lang, has unexpected returned after a ...more
Kayleigh
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

Mooncakes follows Nova Huang, who knows more about magic than the average teen witch. She works at her grandmothers’ bookstore, where she helps them loan out spell books and investigate any supernatural occurrences in their New England town. One night, she follows reports of a white wolf into the woods, and she comes across the unexpected: her childhood crush, Tam Lang, fighting a horse demon in the woods. As a werewolf, Tam has been wandering from place to place for years, unable to cal
Lili
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is so much amazingness and representation packed into this gem of a graphic novel! Demons! Witches! Werewolves! Ghosts! Friendship! Love! Magic! A non-binary character, a deaf character who doesn’t use magic to cure her disability as if it’s something to be ashamed of, a diverse cast of characters, and, of course, mooncakes. I devoured this story over breakfast and walked away very happy. Great for fans of The Prince and the Dressmaker or Check, Please looking for something with a fantasti ...more
Isabelle
I received an advance review copy through Netgalley; all opinions are my own and honest.

4.5 stars.

My gosh, this is the purest most wholesome thing I have read in a very long time. Every character is fantastic — from kindhearted Nova to resilient Tam to the badass and supportive nanas — and the plot is engaging if slightly predictable. I adored the rep, the art, the soft interpersonal relationships; all the diversity and magic was so wonderfully matter-of-fact, which I loved. Seriously, every lit
Samantha Puc
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-beat
Full review to come on The Beat!
amanda ☄︎. *. ⋆
this seems so cute 😭😭
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
4 / 5 stars

Thanks to netgalley and the publishers for an eARC in exchange for a review!

Mooncakes was everything I had wanted and hoped for. I had seen this graphic novel floating around Booktube and Goodreads for a few months, and when I found out it was a sapphic romance between a witch and a non-binary werewolf, I was pretty much sold.

And I am here to tell you that, yes, this was indeed perfect.

Mooncakes was bursting with inclusivity and diversity, which was all perfectly blended with gorgeo
faith ✨
I loved this graphic novel! I read it in three hours, and it felt refreshing to be immersed in the fun magical setting of the book. Here are a couple highlights about it:

- Firstly, gay witchy stuff. Lately, this has been a common trope, and I thank the book heavens for that. Because yes.

- The art is wonderful! Since I read an PDF file of this book, the quality was a bit pixelated, but it’s still really adorable!

- The humor is to die for. (me at Tam’s puns: 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔
Kara Jorgensen
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I received a Mooncakes ARC at Bookcon, and I had been dying to get my hands on it. I had not read the webcomic because I wanted to wait for the paperback to come out.
I don't know if I had been overexcited for Mooncakes or if I misunderstood the genre of the work before reading it, but it was a mild let down for me. When I saw witches, werewolves, a cozy atmosphere, queer characters (yay!), I expected a little more in terms of story and tension. If you're looking for low drama, this story is it.
USOM
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mooncakes is a fabulous queer graphic novel. Not only does it feature a queer romance at the center (and in side characters), but it's a story about finding our inner strength. When we're reeling from loss, grief, and pain, it's a story about letting people in. Knowing we're not on our own, and finding strength and community from those around us. I loved this supernatural story featuring compassion and support in the face of it all. The drawing style is also charming. It is exactly up my alley i ...more
Rebecca
I loved this. It was sweet and queer. It had witches and werewolves and a "save the town" mission. It had same sex relationships and awesome use of they/them/they're pronouns. It spoke to the strength of family and friend relationships. This was just overall well rounded and plain fun. I think I have a lot of teen readers who are going to be super interested in this fall in New England tale when it drops in October.

Edit: AND HEARING AIDS! I forgot to mention the MC wears hearing aids! ❤
Celia McMahon
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
So this was on read now on Netgalley for anyone interested.

I loved this! Not only did it have everything I love (witches. Werewolves.) but it had queer reps AND gave me serious Sabrina and Kiki vibes. The only thing I needed was more back story on some things. Other than that it’s a must read!
Becca Newman
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this signed at BookCon2019. Both of the authors were so sweet!!

I have nothing but amazing things to say about this graphic novel. The representation is amazing. I was pleasantly surprised to see a blended family that included a Jewish grandmother, and was so struck by the care with which my faith was represented! They ate Mooncakes in the Sukkah!!!

The novel had honest and beautiful portrayals of non-binary gender identity, disability, and loss. I dove right
Savannah Worman
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Unique and cute as can be, Mooncakes is unlike any other graphic novel that I have read so far. The story is different and the illustrations are fun and colorful. This graphic novel definitely kept me entertained throughout with its simple story line and fantastical creatures.

In Mooncakes we follow Nova, a young and budding witch, and Tam a werewolf with undiscovered magical talent. Nova and Tam embark on an adventure to banish the demon in the woods behind Nova’s house, while also discovering t
Siavahda
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review*

This a wonderful graphic novel that I read in a single setting - I couldn't put it down, and had no desire to! Mooncakes felt like a summer dream - heartwarming and sweet with enough at stake to keep the plot from stagnating, with a slightly cutesy art style that perfectly suited the story's tone. It also stands as a perfect counter to those who claim you can't put 'that much' diversity into a st
Connie
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Mooncakes is a Supernatural romance story following Nova and Tam, childhood best friends who meet each other again after several years apart and end up having to battle demons, nosey neighbourhood witches and their feelings for each other (but not really that last part).

To start off with: great diversity! Tam is a non-binary werewolf, and there's brief misgendering that is quickly rectified and their identity is r
Kayla Wilkinson
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

“Things kind of fell into a routine after that.”

One of my reading goals for 2019 was to read more graphic novels and I am so very grateful that Mooncakes was one of them. It is a story about love, family, and magic, which are basically all the things I need in life. I loved this one so much!

A (Queer, Chinese-American) Paranormal Romance

One night, a girl goes into the forest following up on reports of a white wolf being spotted the
Alisha
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got an advanced copy of this which is set to be released in October 2019. Because of that the last hundred pages or so hadn't yet been coloured in but it still had detailed illustrations.

This was everything I wanted it to be. A cute witch themed graphic novel that included a character with a disability, a non-binary character, and two gay grandmas. What more can you want. The illustrations were beautiful and showed off this magnificent world. I loved how accepting the characters are. When Tam
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »