Start by marking “Rotten Little Things” as Want to Read:
Rotten Little Things

Rotten Little Things

TWELVE YEARS BEFORE THE EVENTS OF TAMER ANIMALS

Monica has suffered from paranoid schizophrenia her entire life. For the most part, she manages her disease well—that is, until her family moves into an old house in the woods, and she starts seeing an imaginary entity from her childhood creeping around the property.

NEW HOME. OLD HAUNTS.

Things quickly become terrifying for Mo
Published April 12th 2019 by simple bicycle publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rotten Little Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rotten Little Things

Start your review of Rotten Little Things
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Considering I had an exceptionally thrilling reading experience with TAMER ANIMALS, I was only too eager to read its newly released prequel, ROTTEN LITTLE THINGS.
"Twelve years before the events of Tamer Animals"
A young couple, Monica and her husband Jacob are relocating due to Jacob's job situation. They have a 13-year old son named Zach. Everyone seems a little less than enthusiastic to move into a small, unkempt two-story in the woods.
According to the back of the book, Monica has suffered from
Jim Coniglio
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a big fan of Justin Woodward's TAMER ANIMALS that came out last year. (you can read my review of that book HERE) It was a very well written and creepy coming-of-age story that featured a legendary creature named the Goatman. Myself and other readers really wanted to see more about that character. With ROTTEN LITTLE THINGS, we finally have more of a look at the elusive and deadly Goatman.

ROTTEN LITTLE THINGS is a prequel novella taking place 12 years before the events from TAMER ANIMALS. Yo
Kristy
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
When I got my hands on a copy of Tamer Animals last year, I devoured it. So when Justin announced that Rotten Little Things was being released AND was a prequel to Tamer Animals, I just knew I'd love it. I was pumped when I was chosen as one of the beta readers for it.

Rotten Little Things takes place twelve years before the Tamer Animals story. We meet Monica, Jacob and their son Zach. They have recently moved to rural southwest Georgia. We soon learn Monica suffers from paranoid schizophrenia.
Jay
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was honored to have been a beta reader for Rotten Little Things. I read the whole thing in one sitting; I could not put it down! What is real? What is not? The uncertainty and terror perfectly sets the stage for Tamer Animals. Whoever said that this story takes you to some frightfully dark places, hit the nail right on the head!
R.J. Roles
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a beta reader for this nasty little tale and with it Justin M. Woodward packs a punch! At times it will have you squirming in your seat as well as looking around corners before entering a room. Truly unnerving. Fans of the author will love the universe he's building and find the tie-ins to his novels The Variant and Tamer Animals delightful. 5/5 Highly recommend.
Lance Dale
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant story by Justin Woodward! I couldn't put this one down and it's one of the rare books I finished in one sitting. I would recommend checking out Tamer Animals and The Variant before reading this although it can still be enjoyed as a stand alone. This book is the bee's knees, cat's pajamas, kipper's knickers, and the monkey's eyebrows all rolled into one.
Steve Stred
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

In 2018 I stumbled upon a few stellar authors through association. I’d connected with J.Z. Foster, who at that time took me under his wing and was really helping me up my presentation and product. It was a blessing. J.Z. had asked if I’d read anything from Justin M. Woodward and I sheepishly said I didn’t know who that was. So J.Z. recommended his book ‘The Variant’ which I snagged and gobbled it up. It was a neat blend of urban fantasy, cosm
FanFiAddict
Rating: ★★★★★

Synopsis

TWELVE YEARS BEFORE THE EVENTS OF TAMER ANIMALS

NEW HOME. OLD HAUNTS.

Things quickly become terrifying for Monica as her reality begins to blend with fiction, and something else entirely. . . some indescribable ev
Dominic Lagonigro
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story. A great prequel to Tamer animals. I didn't see the twist coming which makes it awesome. Justin has proven to be a terrific writer. I love having his books on my shelves along with Stephen King and Joe Hill. Cant wait to see what is next.
Michelle
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Monica Dresden is a paranoid schizophrenic who has managed her mental illness fairly well until her and her family move into a new home. Out in the woods, Monica once again begins hearing and seeing the entity which plagued her as a child. Reality begins to warp, blending with terrifying hallucinations that seem much too real to be just in her head. The new home was supposed to be a good thing for their family, but there is something about the house and the woods that is turning the Dresdens liv ...more
MJ miranda_c_rites
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I'm honored to have received an eARC of Rotten Little Things.
This is a prequel to Tamer Animals with the recommendation of reading it after Tamer Animals.
Both books will easily be in my top favorite books for 2019.

I was excited to go back to the vicinity of the Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge, back to the area where it all began.

Twelve years before the events of Tamer Animals, the Dresdens move to southwest Georgia. Jacob has found a new job that will allow his wife, Monica, to stay home and wo
Scott Deegan
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of creepy horror films, movie that don't rely on jump scares. The kind of film where things move slightly in the background or you're never sure if what the characters are witnessing is real. Movies like What Lies Beneath, The Sixth Sense, Stir Of Echoes, and the 1944 original of The Uninvited. The slow, yet intense build to the climactic reveal that ties the story together. The kind of ending where you immediately want to go back and rewatch the whole movies to get the clues you m ...more
Melissa Potter
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting on this book since I finished Tamer Animals. It's shorter than I'd hoped for, but it packs all the punch it needs into those pages, so that isn't really a complaint from me. The descriptions are so vivid that half the time its hard to tell the illusions from the reality, until the very last minute. This is a completely different story from Tamer Animals, but you get little flashes of the other story throughout the book, mostly from the locations. Until the end, then he ties t ...more
Wayne Fenlon
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, this is Justin's best.
My only criticism is that it should have been longer.
I'm still glad I bought this one, though.
Always good to support the new guys and watch them grow as writers.
And Justin certainly is growing.
Keep going, man.
Keen to see what's next.
Valerie
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second story I’ve read from Justin M. Woodward and boy it’s a good one! This is a prequel to his Tamer Animals and here he leads us down the path, through the woods to an introduction with the Goatman.

Monica has a history of seeing “The Tall Man” as she calls him. She has suffered from feelings of self-loathing and insecurity most of her life. As soon as she and her family move into a new home, the Tall Man comes for a visit. Her mental condition becomes all she can think about!

Join
Tanya Williams
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started and finished Rotten Little Things this morning. That’s what happens when I read a book written by Justin. He has a way of hauling you in very quickly, then taking you on a terrifying ride. He has easily become one of my favourite authors.
RLT is the prequel to Tamers Animals (if you haven’t read it yet, do yourself a favour and check it out). Monica’s character and the mental illness she suffered was so well written, it had me guessing throughout if what she was experiencing was real o
Jude  Scott
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading an advanced copy of this novella, and couldn't wait to delve into the TAMER ANIMALS/VARIANT universe again. I was not disappointed! The events of Rotten Little Things take place prior to Tamer Animals, and although it's primarily a story with different characters, it weaves into the previous world that Justin has created.
Monica and Jacob move out to the country with their son Zach, and it doesn't take long before we see that something is not quite right. The build
I Christopher
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you read Justin Woodward’s “Tamer Animals”? Why not??? It’s an outstanding novel. His follow up “Rotten little things” only elevated the mythos he began there, it’s a short, tightly written, book of horrors.
I won’t spoil anything, but I will say this, it is incredible, I loved every page of it, and am anxiously awaiting more in this world he created. Go. Now. Get it! Read it!!
5 solid stars!!!!
Joy Travis
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: woodward
A dark and wonderfully gripping story. I could not put it down! A perfect prequel to Tamer Animals that had me in tears by the end. Highly Recommend!
dana cunningham
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
Its VERY rear that a book that makes me nervous in a dark room. In fact its been nearly 20 years. This book did it. I read the first book Tamer Animals (which I highly recommend) and immediately had to have more. This was perfect in every sick twisted way. You will not regret it. I am mow a Justin M Woodward fan for life.
Ryan Wheeler
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Man, what a perfect little horror story. Tamer Animals was great, but Rotten Little Things was my favorite of the two. Fast, scary, and full of disturbing imagery. Fantastic read.
Serenity
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

Good and fast read! Loved how the book kept you guessing about what was real or not all throughout it. A definite recommend.
Jeanne
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that the more I read of Woodward, the more I enjoy his work. This book flowed (for me) the best of any so far. It was engaging, fast paced and pretty much perfect.
JeNNiiFeR Lee
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW

another WOW from Justin.. I've read all his books and I will continue to do so in the future.. when you think it's one thing he twists it so good.. Justin don't stop writing.. I now have another favorite horror author..
Lisa Whitten
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I enjoyed this one and I liked the connection to Tamer Animals,, I loved the character building and the way you described how Monica felt...
Cheryl Porter
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!.

I really loved this book. But I thought the ending was a little quick. It did keep me interested the whole time. Can't wait for more.
Tara Losacano
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a story!

I couldn't wait to read Rotton Little Things after finishing Tamer Animals. There's something about the way Justin Woodward writes that just makes his books so hard to put down once you pick them up. This story just made me love Tamer Things more than I already did while also giving me new characters to feel for. I loved the way he made us unsure if what was happening was real or the delusions of a sick woman. Very well done!
Chris Miller
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another terrifically creepy outing for Justin M. Woodward!

Monica suffers from schizophrenia, but her husband Jacob and son Zack help her keep herself focused on the fact that the tall man she sees haunting her day and night isn't really there. But one episode after another, a change of medication, and an unexpected pregnancy help to send her reeling into a spiraling well of madness from which even those who love her most may not be able to pull her out of.

This is book two in the Tamer Animals se
Jason M
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Hell

I know this book was really short. But man it was pretty awesome. It’s awesome to know where the Goatman originated from, and little Luna as well(Tamer Animals). I also felt emotionally attached to Monica, suffering from a Mental Illness myself(Not as serious as Schizophrenia, but a burden to live with as well, then finally reading how things ended for her.... man oh man, I literally placed my hand on my head in disbelief and felt a knot in the pit of my stomach. Justin Woodward knows h
Scott
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This was perhaps one of those books where the destination is much better than the journey. Monica is a paranoid schizophrenic, who has moved to the Coheelee area with her husband and son and as soon as they've moved in her condition starts to take hold and she keeps imagining the figure she knows as "The Tall Man".

Woodward's strength lies in building characters and the lives around them and it certainly showed here as you cared about the family. The difficult thing was that a lot of things coul

• Under Rotting Sky: Stories