Start by marking “American Agent, The (Maisie Dobbs)” as Want to Read:
American Agent, The (Maisie Dobbs)

American Agent, The

(Maisie Dobbs #15)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  9,814 ratings  ·  1,278 reviews
Beloved heroine Maisie Dobbs, “one of the great fictional heroines” (Parade), investigates the mysterious murder of an American war correspondent in London during the Blitz in a page-turning tale of love and war, terror and survival.

When Catherine Saxon, an American correspondent reporting on the war in Europe, is found murdered in her London digs, news of her death is con
Published August 22nd 2019 by Allison and Busby (first published March 26th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about American Agent, The, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Fred Svoboda
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Karen Yes, I noticed this. It should have been Mrs. Marsh's name on page 303. There were other issues with this first printing that I chalk up to sloppy edi…moreYes, I noticed this. It should have been Mrs. Marsh's name on page 303. There were other issues with this first printing that I chalk up to sloppy editing.(less)

·  9,814 ratings  ·  1,278 reviews

Start your review of American Agent, The (Maisie Dobbs)
Phrynne
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
Jacqueline Winspear manages to keep writing interesting stories and appealing characters even after fifteen books. This is my favourite of the series so far.

She can always be counted on to provide a sound, factual, historical back ground. The American Agent is set during the London Blitz of 1940/41 and the atmosphere of fear and bravery combined is perfectly presented. Maisie is driving ambulances in the streets of London, retrieving the injured, as bombs fall all around.

Of course in wartime the
Jean
I have been reading this series from book one; this is book fifteen. In this episode Maisie is helping the American Agent that helped her escape from Munich in 1938. They are attempting to solve the London murder of an American reporter. The Germans are bombing England and Maisie and friends are in the middle of the blitz.

The book is well written and the plot twists and turns as only Winspear can do it. It is great to get back together with all the regular characters and Maisie. This is one of
Susan Johnson
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series and have been reading it for years. Unfortunately, I appeared to have missed one and I would have liked to have read it before this one. I would like to have met Mark Scott and read his adventures with Maisie before tackling this one but I was able to keep up.

The one thing that niggled me in this book was Maisie's preoccupation with what Scott, an American agent, was doing in London. He told her he was working for the president and it was top secret but she just wouldn
Gail
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think one thing I appreciate most about Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series is the author's allowing her heroine and those in her universe to experience life's ups and downs without pulling any punches. Maisie has experienced tremendous loss in her life, but manages to take the losses and incorporate them into her psyche, growing and learning, however, painfully from each one. Her life representative of our shared human experience, making it is easy to empathize with Maisie and root for ...more
Kate
How I loved this book! It may be the first Maisie Dobbs novel I've read but it certainly won't be the last. Such a moving, evocative portrayal of London and Kent under attack from the Blitz in the last weeks of 1940, and a fascinating mystery investigated by a woman I adored. There were tears.... I must seek out more. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Cathy
The American Agent has made me a very happy reader. Firstly, because I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Secondly, because it’s introduced me to a new historical crime series (a genre I love) to follow in future. Thirdly because, being the fifteenth in the series, it means I’ve got fourteen previous instalments to look forward to reading. At this point, I’ll assure readers like myself coming new to the series that The American Agent works perfectly well as a standalone read. Naturally, there are a fe ...more
The Library Lady
I'd give this about a 3.75 if I could. The war years continue to be a vast improvement in the Maisie Dobbs series--I guess Winspear's writing itself has improved, though there's still a humorless edge to her books that makes the characters flatter than they could be. And the sticking point for me continues to be the plots, which at some point muddle, then get neatly finished at the end. Her fans won't care.
Claudia Silk
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maisie Dobbs is just one of my favorite mystery series! Winspear does a fabulous job of incorporating the time and place. This book takes place during the Blitz of London and you really get a feel for what that might have been like.
Literary Soirée
MAISIE RETURNS AS BLITZ RAINS TERROR ON LONDON

The latest in the beloved Maisie Dobbs’ series wins on all fronts! It features my fave historical mystery character during my fave historical period.

BLITZ
The victim, Catherine Saxon, is an American reporting from London during the Blitz. She’s as beautiful and feisty and real as Maisie, the forensic psychologist working with Scotland Yard and the American government to uncover her killer.

INTRIGUE
The Kennedys figure secretly into this WWII book of in
Betty
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place in the 1940s during the London Blitz. Maisie Dobbs and her BFF, Priscilla Partridge served as ambulance drivers helping the wounded from the bombs dropped nightly on London. They meet Catherine Saxon, an American war correspondent on one of their drives. She is later MURDER and Maisie work the case with Robert MacFarlane an agent from America. Maisie is waiting for the approval to adopt Anna The twists and turns the tale takes before there is an answer to what happened to ...more
Ivor Armistead
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brava Ms Winspear. You and Maisie have outdone yourselves. Another good mystery, but the real brilliance of this book and others in this series is Jacqueline Winspear’s superlative ability to pull the reader into the time and place of the story.

Through her descriptions of her characters and their lives, we are with them in London in 1940 during the blitz. We share their fears, admire their courage and live the events with them. This is marvelous writing by a gifted author. Thank you.
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
The latest Maisie Dobbs – The American Agent by Jacqueline Winspear is coming out on the 26th of March and I was lucky enough to get a review copy via Edelweiss. Thank you so much.

Naturally, I do not want to talk to much about the plot, this is book 15 in the series and naturally, things happen along the way, you would want to find out for yourself as you are reading them. Let’s just say this: The Blitz has started and London (and the rest of the country) experiences horrific bombing attacks eac
Lynn Horton
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maisie Dobbs novels are a lot like a slice of apple pie. You know the recipe and the experience is sweet and filling. Then you look forward to another piece.

The American Agent is no exception. This fifteenth novel is absolutely consistent with the previous fourteen, and Winspear's attention to historic detail holds the story and characters together in a very satisfying way.

Recommended.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Actual rating 3.5 stars.
Kathy
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the Maisie Dobbs books and the most recent have been very successful in delivering the usual investigation methods we have come to expect from Maisie, the challenges in her personal life as she works toward adopting a young girl, but also the somber truths of World War II as German bombing ramps up. Here it is the Fall of 1940 and the Blitz is on.
Some Americans star in this plotting, one the daughter of a Senator who has been doing some stellar reporting from London found dead
Jenny
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, world-war-2
This was my favorite Maisie Dobbs installment so far..
Marlene
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

It’s March, which means it’s time for this year’s Maisie Dobbs adventure. I’m just sorry her publisher isn’t sponsoring the “Month of Maisie” any longer, as that always made for a terrific excuse to pick up one of the earlier books in the series as well as the new one.

For Maisie, the year in 1940, and London is in the middle of the Blitz. And so is Maisie, as she and her best friend Priscilla are doing in London what they did in the Great War so many (and s
Gram
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nazi Germany has begun its Blitz on London. September 1940 sees private investigator Maisie Dobbs and her best friend Priscilla working as volunteers for the Auxiliary Ambulance Services. Each night they drive to where their nursing skills are needed most as bombs rain down on Britain's capital city.
Then, Maisie is called in by British Intelligence officer Robbie MacFarlane to investigate the murder of an American journalist, Catherine Saxon. The authorities are keen that the matter be dealt wit
Elaine Tomasso
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Allison & Busby for a review copy of The American Agent, the fifteenth novel to feature investigator Maisie Dobbs.

London 1940 and the war is in full swing so when American journalist Catherine Saxon is found murdered in her flat tact and diplomacy are called for. Whitehall mandarin Robert MacFarlane drafts in Maisie to investigate alongside consular official Mark Scott, the man who saved her life in Munich.

I enjoyed The American Agent which is a well plotted n
Lynn
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Maisie Dobbs series started out at the end of WW I and the current book is set in London during the Blitz in 1940. Maisie was a nurse in the war and came home to meet a man named Maurice who hired her as an assistant detective. Maurice eventually sold her the business. Maisie is really strong likable woman making her way in the world with the help of her assistant Billy and a variety of family and friends. The mysteries are intriguing and Winspear's description of the times and places are re ...more
Heather
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love this series; it started to lag a bit in the middle, but now that we're into World War II, it's picking up again. I am also enjoying Maisie's mid-life stage, as I can't think of a lot of fiction about single women in their 40s.
Nicki
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do love a Maisie Dobbs story and have been reading Jacqueline Winspear’s fab series for years, not always in order as it depends what the library has in stock, but one thing’s for sure, I always love catching up with Maisie. I love finding out what’s going in her personal and professional life, like I’m catching up with an old friend.

This 15th book in the series, is set during the blitz of World War Two, as Maisie and her best friend Priscilla are volunteers driving ambulances through London’s
Deanna
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sense of living —ironically, fearfully, courageously, determinedly— through the experience of the London blitz along with the characters is the highlight of this installment in the Maisie Dobbs series.

Increasingly, though, I wish for a more complex protagonist. Maisie is interesting, unusual, and likable, with a complex life worth reading about. But she’s missing a level of human realism that makes her just miss the mark of full believability and engagement.

While I don’t find her persisten
Carol Douglas
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Jacqueline Winspear has written a Maisie Dobbs mystery that takes us into England's traumatic past. Her excellent novels about World War I have led to excellent novels about World War II. This novel is about the blitz, which was even more terrifying than I had imagined. The book gave me details I didn't know, which was what I wanted it to do. It also provided sympathetic sketches of characters living through the war. Of course it also was a mystery about the murder of an American corr ...more
Lisa Sims
I'm so sad to rate this 3 stars! I LOVE the Maisie Dobbs series, but I think the author has run the course with this series and it's time to give it up. These used to be about a complex, interesting woman who dealt with interesting cases. They were so much more than a typical mystery/thriller. They were smart, intriguing, and fun. Now, there is no more complexity, no more interesting plot that wove the character's personality and insight around what was happening in her cases. It just fell flat ...more
Kate
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-mysteries
I continue to enjoy the evolving story of Maisie's life. But, the mysteries are increasingly weak and there is little to no development or sharing of the clues/forensic evidence/psychological processing. We just meet all of the characters, listen to Maisie ask a million questions of herself, and then, presto, murder solved.
Mal Warwick
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Digging into a new Maisie Dobbs novel is like reuniting with an old friend. And she's been my friend ever since, as a teenager, she enlisted as a nurse and served at a casualty clearing section behind the front lines in France during World War I. Now, in The American Agent, the fifteenth novel in the series, Maisie has built a successful practice as a "psychologist and investigator." She's in her early forties, a widow with an aristocratic title she never uses, and the wealthy heir of her late m ...more
Alex  Baugh
It's September, 1940, and the German Luftwaffe is blitzing bombs down on London nightly. Maisie, who you may recall was a nurse on the battlefields in France during WWI, and her best friend Priscilla Partridge have volunteered to be ambulance drivers, doing what they can night after night to help the injured. One night, a young American journalist, Catherine Saxon, rides along with Maisie and Priscilla. Catherine is writing accounts of the Blitz for Americans and is hoping to become one of "Murr ...more
Marti
The American Agent by Jacqueline Winspear is the15th book in the series about Maisie Dobbs. It is hard to believe I have been reading these books for so long, but the main character is such an important person to me after all these years. Maisie has grown over the years and it feels like she is a friend that I would love to have a cup of tea with. She is bold, determined, intelligent and inquisitive.

In this installment, Maisie is helping Britain, by driving an ambulance at night helping saving
Charlene
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good installment of the Maisie Dobbs story. This one has more about best friend, Priscilla, and her family than ever before, continuing the story of Priscilla's sons from the last book, and then involving her and Maisie as ambulance drivers in the Blitz. She's never been a favorite character of mine but I enjoyed and appreciated her more this time around. Contrast between the personalities of the best friends adds a bit of variety to the series, which sometimes does get very serious.

Anna, the

• A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • The King's Justice
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • Triple Jeopardy (Daniel Pitt #2)
  • A Forgotten Place (Bess Crawford, #10)
  • The Vanishing Man (Charles Lenox Mysteries #0.2)
  • Death in Focus (Elena Standish #1)
  • Unto Us a Son Is Given (Commissario Brunetti, #28)
  • Murder on Trinity Place (Gaslight Mystery, #22)
  • The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce, #10)
  • The Satapur Moonstone (Perveen Mistry, #2)
  • The Prisoner in the Castle (Maggie Hope, #8)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #18)
  • The Spies of Shilling Lane
  • All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
Jacqueline Winspear was born and raised in the county of Kent, England. Following higher education at the University of London’s Institute of Education, Jacqueline worked in academic publishing, in higher education and in marketing communications in the UK.

She emigrated to the United States in 1990, and while working in business and as a personal / professional coach, Jacqueline embarked upon a li

Maisie Dobbs (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
  • Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs, #7)
  • A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs, #8)
  • Elegy for Eddie (Maisie Dobbs, #9)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)

Articles featuring this book

Summer Reading is sponsored by Lifetime’s Book to Screen Movies. Authors tend to be very well-read people. To help you find some...
“The irony in any investigation was that lies were often protectors of the truth—unless they became too powerful, in which case lies were like worker bees who turn on their queen.” 1 likes
“Grannies to the rescue.” 0 likes