Start by marking “American Agent, The (Maisie Dobbs)” as Want to Read:
American Agent, The (Maisie Dobbs)

American Agent, The

(Maisie Dobbs #15)

Beloved heroine Maisie Dobbs, “one of the great fictional heroines” (Parade), investigates the mysterious murder of an American war correspondent in London during the Blitz in a page-turning tale of love and war, terror and survival.

When Catherine Saxon, an American correspondent reporting on the war in Europe, is found murdered in her London digs, news of her death is con
Expected publication: August 22nd 2019 by Allison and Busby (first published March 26th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about American Agent, The, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Marilyn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amanda Yes, I noticed this, too. I actually corrected it in my library's copy, not normally something I'd do. This made me wonder if the editors were…moreYes, I noticed this, too. I actually corrected it in my library's copy, not normally something I'd do. This made me wonder if the editors were actually reading the story, or just editing text.
(less)

Phrynne
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacqueline Winspear manages to keep writing interesting stories and appealing characters even after fifteen books. This is my favourite of the series so far.

She can always be counted on to provide a sound, factual, historical back ground. The American Agent is set during the London Blitz of 1940/41 and the atmosphere of fear and bravery combined is perfectly presented. Maisie is driving ambulances in the streets of London, retrieving the injured, as bombs fall all around.

Of course in wartime the
Jean
I have been reading this series from book one; this is book fifteen. In this episode Maisie is helping the American Agent that helped her escape from Munich in 1938. They are attempting to solve the London murder of an American reporter. The Germans are bombing England and Maisie and friends are in the middle of the blitz.

The book is well written and the plot twists and turns as only Winspear can do it. It is great to get back together with all the regular characters and Maisie. This is one of
Susan Johnson
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series and have been reading it for years. Unfortunately, I appeared to have missed one and I would have liked to have read it before this one. I would like to have met Mark Scott and read his adventures with Maisie before tackling this one but I was able to keep up.

The one thing that niggled me in this book was Maisie's preoccupation with what Scott, an American agent, was doing in London. He told her he was working for the president and it was top secret but she just wouldn
Kate
How I loved this book! It may be the first Maisie Dobbs novel I've read but it certainly won't be the last. Such a moving, evocative portrayal of London and Kent under attack from the Blitz in the last weeks of 1940, and a fascinating mystery investigated by a woman I adored. There were tears.... I must seek out more. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Cathy
The American Agent has made me a very happy reader. Firstly, because I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Secondly, because it’s introduced me to a new historical crime series (a genre I love) to follow in future. Thirdly because, being the fifteenth in the series, it means I’ve got fourteen previous instalments to look forward to reading. At this point, I’ll assure readers like myself coming new to the series that The American Agent works perfectly well as a standalone read. Naturally, there are a fe ...more
Gail
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think one thing I appreciate most about Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series is the author's allowing her heroine and those in her universe to experience life's ups and downs without pulling any punches. Maisie has experienced tremendous loss in her life, but manages to take the losses and incorporate them into her psyche, growing and learning, however, painfully from each one. Her life representative of our shared human experience, making it is easy to empathize with Maisie and root for ...more
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Actual rating 3.5 stars.
Claudia Silk
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maisie Dobbs is just one of my favorite mystery series! Winspear does a fabulous job of incorporating the time and place. This book takes place during the Blitz of London and you really get a feel for what that might have been like.
Betty
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place in the 1940s during the London Blitz. Maisie Dobbs and her BFF, Priscilla Partridge served as ambulance drivers helping the wounded from the bombs dropped nightly on London. They meet Catherine Saxon, an American war correspondent on one of their drives. She is later MURDER and Maisie work the case with Robert MacFarlane an agent from America. Maisie is waiting for the approval to adopt Anna The twists and turns the tale takes before there is an answer to what happened to ...more
Literary Soirée
MAISIE RETURNS AS BLITZ RAINS TERROR ON LONDON

The latest in the beloved Maisie Dobbs’ series wins on all fronts! It features my fave historical mystery character during my fave historical period.

BLITZ
The victim, Catherine Saxon, is an American reporting from London during the Blitz. She’s as beautiful and feisty and real as Maisie, the forensic psychologist working with Scotland Yard and the American government to uncover her killer.

INTRIGUE
The Kennedys figure secretly into this WWII book of in
Ivor Armistead
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brava Ms Winspear. You and Maisie have outdone yourselves. Another good mystery, but the real brilliance of this book and others in this series is Jacqueline Winspear’s superlative ability to pull the reader into the time and place of the story.

Through her descriptions of her characters and their lives, we are with them in London in 1940 during the blitz. We share their fears, admire their courage and live the events with them. This is marvelous writing by a gifted author. Thank you.
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
The latest Maisie Dobbs – The American Agent by Jacqueline Winspear is coming out on the 26th of March and I was lucky enough to get a review copy via Edelweiss. Thank you so much.

Naturally, I do not want to talk to much about the plot, this is book 15 in the series and naturally, things happen along the way, you would want to find out for yourself as you are reading them. Let’s just say this: The Blitz has started and London (and the rest of the country) experiences horrific bombing attacks eac
Marlene
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

It’s March, which means it’s time for this year’s Maisie Dobbs adventure. I’m just sorry her publisher isn’t sponsoring the “Month of Maisie” any longer, as that always made for a terrific excuse to pick up one of the earlier books in the series as well as the new one.

For Maisie, the year in 1940, and London is in the middle of the Blitz. And so is Maisie, as she and her best friend Priscilla are doing in London what they did in the Great War so many (and s
Lynn
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Maisie Dobbs series started out at the end of WW I and the current book is set in London during the Blitz in 1940. Maisie was a nurse in the war and came home to meet a man named Maurice who hired her as an assistant detective. Maurice eventually sold her the business. Maisie is really strong likable woman making her way in the world with the help of her assistant Billy and a variety of family and friends. The mysteries are intriguing and Winspear's description of the times and places are re ...more
Nicki
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do love a Maisie Dobbs story and have been reading Jacqueline Winspear’s fab series for years, not always in order as it depends what the library has in stock, but one thing’s for sure, I always love catching up with Maisie. I love finding out what’s going in her personal and professional life, like I’m catching up with an old friend.

This 15th book in the series, is set during the blitz of World War Two, as Maisie and her best friend Priscilla are volunteers driving ambulances through London’s
Kathy
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the Maisie Dobbs books and the most recent have been very successful in delivering the usual investigation methods we have come to expect from Maisie, the challenges in her personal life as she works toward adopting a young girl, but also the somber truths of World War II as German bombing ramps up. Here it is the Fall of 1940 and the Blitz is on.
Some Americans star in this plotting, one the daughter of a Senator who has been doing some stellar reporting from London found dead
The Library Lady
I'd give this about a 3.75 if I could. The war years continue to be a vast improvement in the Maisie Dobbs series--I guess Winspear's writing itself has improved, though there's still a humorless edge to her books that makes the characters flatter than they could be. And the sticking point for me continues to be the plots, which at some point muddle, then get neatly finished at the end. Her fans won't care.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
It's September, 1940, and the German Luftwaffe is blitzing bombs down on London nightly. Maisie, who you may recall was a nurse on the battlefields in France during WWI, and her best friend Priscilla Partridge have volunteered to be ambulance drivers, doing what they can night after night to help the injured. One night, a young American journalist, Catherine Saxon, rides along with Maisie and Priscilla. Catherine is writing accounts of the Blitz for Americans and is hoping to become one of "Murr ...more
Deanna
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sense of living —ironically, fearfully, courageously, determinedly— through the experience of the London blitz along with the characters is the highlight of this installment in the Maisie Dobbs series.

Increasingly, though, I wish for a more complex protagonist. Maisie is interesting, unusual, and likable, with a complex life worth reading about. But she’s missing a level of human realism that makes her just miss the mark of full believability and engagement.

While I don’t find her persisten
Susan
Maisie Dobbs met American journalist Catherine Saxon when Cath went on an ambulance run with Maisie and her friend Priscilla. The next day, she learns that Cath has been murdered, and that she's being asked to investigate, along with the American agent Mark Scott, whom Maisie knew while on assignment in Munich. As Maisie learns about Cath's politically powerful family, and Cath's differences with them, she also grows suspicious of Mark, who doesn't seem to be following the investigation very clo ...more
Chrysta
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t believe I’ve been reading about Maisie Dobbs for 15 books now! Wow! That right there tells you what a wonderful series it is! The American Agent was no exception! I love diving back into London with these characters I’ve grown to love and feel like I’m right there experiencing every thing with them. I loved the ending which honestly has me itching for more! One of the best WWI/WWII historical fiction series!
Carol Douglas
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Jacqueline Winspear has written a Maisie Dobbs mystery that takes us into England's traumatic past. Her excellent novels about World War I have led to excellent novels about World War II. This novel is about the blitz, which was even more terrifying than I had imagined. The book gave me details I didn't know, which was what I wanted it to do. It also provided sympathetic sketches of characters living through the war. Of course it also was a mystery about the murder of an American corr ...more
Tonya
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful
Sona
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a phenomenal series, and book #15 may be one of my favorites. Enjoyed the unfolding of the case and how Maisie came to her conclusion, and also enjoyed hearing about developments in her personal & family life.
Deb
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another really good entry in this series. I like how Maisy's character has grown and changed over the years. I also suspect that she's ready to adjust her life so that she can be the kind of mother she knows Anna needs. I like the way the author is moving along historically too.
Maria
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winspear continues her wonderful historical mystery series set in England in the early 20th century. It's a turning point for Maisie as she realizes the importance of family and good friends during the Blitz. I especially enjoyed the references to Joseph Kennedy, who was the American ambassador in London during this time. This literary mystery series is best read in order as it moves in time.
Sylvia Abrams
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read the Maisie Dobbs series in order. I think the plot of this case was one of the cleverest Jacqueline Winspear has devised. Set in 1940, the novel takes place during the London blitz and has two compelling threads: solving the murder of a promising young journalist and setting a more optimistic course for Maisie’s personal life. Most of the characters have appeared in previous novels. Winspear knows how to mature her main characters while Maisie works on her case. I don’t want to give ...more
MICHELLE G VIRNELSON
I love the Maisie Dobbs series. History thrown in with the story. I learned more about how America responded to WW2.
Lisa Brown
It is the middle of the London Blitz, and Maisie Dobbs is still operating as a volunteer ambulance driver, and waiting for the decision about whether or not she can adopt Anna, the evacuee that she has guardianship of. Things get complicated, however, when Maisie is pulled in to investigate the death of an American correspondent, Catherine Saxon. But investigating the murder has brought someone back into her life that she never expected to see, the American agent she met in Munich, Mark Scott, a ...more
Nicole
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my very favorites in this series! We, along with Maisie, see a very different side of WWII as she both works on an ambulance crew as well as investigates the murder of an American journalist. I really enjoyed the personal aspects of Maisie's life and hope the author continues the series. Well done!

• How I Became a Spy: A Mystery of WWII London
  • Solemn Graves (Billy Boyle World War II, #13)
  • The Satapur Moonstone (Perveen Mistry, #2)
  • The Victory Garden
  • What Falls Between the Cracks (Porter & Styles #1)
  • The Lost Prophecies (The Medieval Murderers, #4)
  • Heart of Ice (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #9)
  • Betty Church and the Suffolk Vampire (Betty Church Mystery #1)
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • Unto Us a Son Is Given (Commissario Brunetti, #28)
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)
  • A Madras Miasma (Superintendent Le Fanu Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on Trinity Place (Gaslight Mystery #22)
  • Figure of Hate (Crowner John Mystery #9)
  • City of Ink (Li Du Novels #3)
  • The Body in the Ice (Hardcastle & Chaytor Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder at Ochre Court (Gilded Newport Mysteries #6)
  • The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce, #10)
Jacqueline Winspear was born and raised in the county of Kent, England. Following higher education at the University of London’s Institute of Education, Jacqueline worked in academic publishing, in higher education and in marketing communications in the UK.

She emigrated to the United States in 1990, and while working in business and as a personal / professional coach, Jacqueline embarked upon a li

Maisie Dobbs (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
  • Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs, #7)
  • A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs, #8)
  • Elegy for Eddie (Maisie Dobbs, #9)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
“Grannies to the rescue.” 0 likes
“The irony in any investigation was that lies were often protectors of the truth—unless they became too powerful, in which case lies were like worker bees who turn on their queen.” 0 likes