Start by marking “Mud & Lace (Rainbow Place, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mud & Lace (Rainbow Place, #4)

Mud & Lace

(Rainbow Place #4)

When Wicksy falls for drag queen Charlie, they discover that both sexuality and gender can be fluid.

Simon Wicks—Wicksy to his rugby teammates—has only ever been interested in women. But when he sets eyes on Lady Gogo, a drag queen who performs at Rainbow Place, he can’t stop thinking about her. He knows there’s a guy behind the fishnets and make-up, but he’s ready to exp
Paperback, 1st edition, 240 pages
Published April 22nd 2019 by Jaybird Press

To ask other readers questions about Mud & Lace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mud & Lace

Start your review of Mud & Lace (Rainbow Place, #4)
Judith
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

Jay Northcote tackles the subject of self discovery/sexual identity and totally nails it.

After the introduction of drag queen,Lady Gogo,in the previous book I was more than intrigued to discover the man behind the make up and heels and Charlie was not what I was expecting but I absolutely adored him( he's definitely one of my favourite characters by Jay).

Charlie has always tried to hide his feminine side,never really having the courage to explore it.So when he has the opportunity to take part in
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I love, love, love a sexuality discovery story, and Jay Northcote always gets those so, so right. How does he know what I like and continue to deliver the goods time and again?!

I really liked how we got both MCs exploring their sexuality and sexual identity. One is discovering that he might be bi or pan, and the other is coming to terms with their gender fluidity. Both narratives are told so well, so organically, that I felt like I was right there with them every step of the way.

I adore a kinky
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Mud & Lace is aptly titled. Simon (Wicksy to his mates and Cam's best friend from book 2) is a rugby player; he's masculine and likes to get dirty. When Simon sees the stunning Lady Gogo, he can't look away.

Charlie (aka Lady Gogo) loves to explore his feminine side. Drag makes him brave and bold. He can embrace the Lady Gogo persona without shame. He just wishes he could do the same when he's not in costume.

Simon understands that Charlie is a man, but Simon loves the feminine, so Charlie as La
Cadiva
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's not many people do this type of sexual exploration and awakening quite as well as Jay does as far as I'm concerned.

He's a master at not only handling the awkwardness of someone realising their sexuality isn't what they'd always expected, but also at bringing in the inadvertent hurt that can come alongside someone exploring how they express gender as well.

With this one, there's a double dose of confusion as each of the men in this pairing has some way to go in working out just what their
Bev
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-have-issues, mm
I was looking forward to reading Charlie's story and I fell in love with him, especially his honesty to himself. If I'm honest, I struggled with Simon and it took me almost to the end to warm to him. I get he was confused and scared of coming out, but he hurt Charlie on a number of occasions so put himself right on my shit list and had to work to get off it.

Jay Northcote
Apr 14, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
This is the 4th book in the Rainbow Place series.
It features Wicksy (Cam's housemate from book 2) along with Charlie (aka Lady Gogo who appears in book 3). It was fun to write. I always love self-discovery stories, and this one has a double helping with both sexuality and gender questioning.

If you decide to give it a try I hope you enjoy it :)
Sheri
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oh-so-british
I was anxiously looking forward to this story. I know, I know…that doesn’t sound right. But here’s the thing, I’ve struggled with this series so far and I really really wanted to shake my JN funk. I’m not exactly sure what happened but I lost my normal groove with the previous couples in this series and was feeling down and out about it. Despite that, I had high hopes for Wicksy and Lady Gogo and was extremely pleased that I’ve found my way again…I adored it. Granted there were parts when I star ...more
.Lili.
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Mud & Lace (Rainbow Place, #4)

After I finished Better Place (Rainbow Place #3), I knew I'd read Mud & Lace but admit I was a bit nervous. Books about closet cases can sometimes go awry for me but had to give it a go for Lady Gogo.

I had some preconceived notions going in and thought my trepidations would prove right, but fortunately, they were wrong.

Highlights:

-Charlie, aka Lady Gogo, wasn't at all what I was expecting, and that was a good thing. Behind the confident drag queen is a young man
Ky
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2019
"Mud & Lace" is the fourth book in Jay Northcote's "Rainbow Place" series and the one with the most interesting title.

Wicksy is a straight rugby player with a crush on Lady Gogo, the drag queen who performs at Rainbow Place once a month. He knows that under the make up and the glitter is actually a guy but that doesn't make his infatuation any less intense. He is smitten with her and does everything he can to approach her. And yes he keeps thinking of Lady Gogo as a her even after he starts form
Rachel Emily
Mud and Lace is the story of Simon AKA Wicksy, the rugby player we met earlier in this series, and Charlie AKA Lady GoGo, the drag queen who performs at Rainbow Place.

I was really looking forward to getting Simon and Charlie's story - a character questioning his sexuality after he meets a drag queen? Yes, please! I really enjoyed how Jay wrote both characters, and how they both had some realizations and self-discovery to find out along the way. It wasn't just Simon that had to learn things abou
Adam

‘Mud & Lace’ is quintessential Jay Northcote - sweet and sexy with some feels.

Simon is a total lad. He’s in to rugby, beer, and the ladies. He’s also totally comfortable with his LGBT friends, and hanging out at the local gay hotspot.

But falling for a drag queen catches Simon completely off guard.

Charlie loves drag. It gives him the freedom and confidence to explore different sides of himself. He’s down to fool around with Simon, if only for the novelty of the hot straight jock.

But th
Ariana
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku, lgbtq
The blurb for this book is pretty intriguing, and I have been looking forward to it for quite a while. And it was a real hit! Jay manages to address some complex issues in a very approachable and sensitive way here.

With Charlie questioning his gender and Simon figuring out his sexual orientation, this could have been super heavy and angsty. Although I could have done with a tiny touch more of the latter (but that’s on me), I really enjoyed how their relationship and respective personal journeys
Fernanda Parente
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lady Gogo finally has her story and opportunity in love with Wicksy. The characters from previous books are present especially Cam and Alex and I loved it, Alex is my favorite character from this series.
To be honest it took me a while to get this book because it seemed that Wicksy just liked Charlie dressed as a girl and not for Charlie himself. But as soon Lady Gogo changes into Charlie and he and Wicksy started their romance as they really were I couldn't close the book.
Another excellent book
Lelyana's Reviews
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, arc, 2019
In the earlier book, I was really curious about the drag queen in Seb's Rainbow Place, Lady Gogo. And also Wicksy, a very straight guy, who's only 'attracted' to women when it comes to date. But Lady Gogo is like, exaggerated version of femininity. So, it makes him extra straight, right?
Jay is the master of 'denial' in his stories, so yeah, I was kinda had to face Wicksy's denial when it comes to his attraction to Lady Gogo.
It's not only Wicksy, but Charlie also insecure about his side of his f
Pam Nelson
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t sure about this book for me I am not a big fan of Fem guys in my stories but that is just me. And that is ok. But I am so glad I kept going because I loved their story. Simon really grew as a character for me and Charlie oh Charlie he came into himself I loved it.

I love them; I loved the friendships and the chemistry. You really don’t miss the older characters either because we get a little dose of them in this story too.

The mothers in this book my gosh my heart. I loved their accept
Tracy
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 stars! I stopped reading this authors books a while ago because I didn't enjoy them anymore, but this one kept popping up on my KU recs. I haven't read any of the other books in this series but I don't feel like that effected my experience of this book.

I enjoyed the premise and I liked the mcs a lot and I was fairly hooked until around the 80% mark and then I just felt like something was missing and it felt a bit like I was forcing myself to finish it. Everytime Charlie said "panties" I wan
Bev
4.25 stars from me. I like this gentle series set in Cornwall, and as is usual for me with Jay's stories, I learned something 👩‍🎓...being educated in gender identity in a really nice way. The connection between Charlie [Lady Gogo] was there whether Simon [Wicksy] wanted to acknowledge it or not. Hayden was a good character...the jury's still out for me as far as Scott is concerned, but Wicksy knows that Cam and the boys from the rugby team have got his back and it sounds as though everyone is OK ...more
~Kristin~
<4 Stars
It’s always a bit tricky when a story starts off with a “straight” guy falling for the first time into the murky waters of trying to figure out just where he may fit on the rainbow scale. I felt so protective of Charlie, I was a tad tense through most of this book. It turned out the tension worked for me because I was invested in the journey. I liked that Simon wasn’t the only character trying to figure himself out. I think we all struggle somewhat with trying to get to know who we reall
Lily
I enjoyed reading the previous three books, but this story is definitely my favourite in the series. It was a real page turner. I loved the overall storyline, the main characters, the writing, and the ‘kinky’ sex between ‘straight’ hunky rugby player, Simon, and Charlie, who is in the process of exploring his feminine side and dresses accordingly.

Their relationship development is well-paced. The initial sexual attraction and steamy encounters are hot, but gradually this moves beyond the physical
Joyfully Jay
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

I’ve been reading the Rainbow Place series all along, and I’m really enjoying the vast array of characters who continue to play a role in every book. Wicksy has been there from practically the beginning, when he and his rugby team helped Seb put Rainbow Place back together in time for opening. Charlie is a new addition, having shown up for the first time in the previous book, Better Place. I was really interested to see the dichotomy between them as they both discov
Kirstin
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Self discovery is a vast, scary, exhausting experience and one that isn't easy to express. Jay Northcote has taken this delicate notion and created a wildly romantic, generous tale of two men united in their journey and given them both the words and means to support each other and has done it with excellence.

Charlie's character has always had a feminine side. He's been ashamed and scared of showing it...afraid of his friends opinions as well as his mother. When he takes the chance to dress up an
Chelsea
This was great! I love some cross-dressing book's, especially when the crossdresser is gender fluid.

I loved watching both of these men's transition in their own way. Refreshingly no unnecessary angst or drama considering the secrets and situations they find themselves in.

So much sex, but it was all very hot!! They even used my favourite P word during sex, in fact that could have been ramped up a bit.

Will be an ongoing reread for sure!
Emily Seelye
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
While it doesn’t follow the same pattern as previous titles, I’ve got to say that the title is perfect.

Wicksy is a rugby player who finds himself attracted to drag queen, Charlie, aka Lady Gogo.

What starts as a series of hookups while Charlie is dressed as his Lady Gogo persona, soon turns to something more as Wicksy starts accepting and falling for the man under the makeup.

This book has some of the hottest sex scenes Jay has ever written. I love that Charlie is willing to experiment with Wic
Kari
I loved everything about the story!
(Also it was really wholesome, everyone was communicating their feelings and points of view, and i loved it!!)
but for some reason i wasn't all that emotionally invested in it :c
Laura Nelson (Tangents and Tissues)
*** Full review to follow! ***
K.R. Phoenix
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 5 stars
🔥🔥🔥🔥 Heat Level: 4

Words can’t express how much I loved this book! Totally amazing, healing and a great understanding of gender identity and fluidity.

I’ve loved the Rainbow Place series and this would have to be the best of the lot! I loved Wicksy and Charlie! They are perfect together and their chemistry and connection is a joy to uncurl.

I resonated so much with Charlie and what he is going through. He is exploring and coming to terms with his gender identity and what that means for
Becca
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had kind of a hard time with this one at first. Not really anything bad, I suppose, but I think it just hit me wrong. I was a lot like Wicks friend, Cam, when I saw that Charlie was being kept a secret and made to dress like a girl. You’ll see what I mean. Everyone has to come out in their own time and own way. And no one has the right to push anyone in anyway. It just hurt me for Charlie. But what’s a story without a little angst?
Wicksy has been watching Lady Gogo with rapt attention from the
Funzee Shu

I’ve been waiting and totally curious about Lady Gogo and Wicksy story and I have huge feeling that I will completely enjoying this story.

We all know that Wicksy couldn’t take his eyes of from Lady Gogo charming performance at Rainbow Place, even when he clearly know that there’s a man behind all the make up but he can’t stop the curiosity that grew in him. When he brave himself to flirt with her and got a good response from her, they soon fall into an ‘agreement'.

At first both Charlie and Wicks
iam
I went into Mud & Lace without knowing anything about it, just wanting to binge the series, and I was not prepared for the way it made me feel.

Content warnings include: sex on-page, gender and sexual identity questioning, feminization, characters frequently drink alcohol, dismissive comments about feminine gay men, sports injury.

Like some of the previous books in the series, Mud & Lace has a base setting that, on-paper, sounds like it can very easily turn south. In this case it's a strai
Karen
This book reminded me of Helping Hand, the same magic with an extra layer of maturity and self-discovery. I read this in one go, it was just impossible to put away. Absolutely amazing story! As of now, this is my favorite Jay Northcote title. Hands down.

I’ve been waiting for this story, super intrigued by Wicksy and Lady Gogo from their first meeting in Better Place. I had high expectations, but this still blew me away. This was such a fun read, with just the right amount of nervous tension, ex
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Promise (Single Dads #3)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Picking Up the Pieces
  • Embracing Love (Embrace #2)
  • Angel (Fallen Angel, #3)
  • Dine with Me
  • Ignite (Unbreakable Bonds, #7)
  • Bio-Mechanical (Irons and Works, #4)
  • Come Home (Kinley Island, #1)
  • Future Gay Boyfriend (Future #2)
  • Burning for You (Neighborhood Shindig #2)
  • Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
  • Adam Only (Those Other Books #2)
  • Kel's Keeper
  • Forever Moore
  • Dedicated (Rhythm of Love, #1)
  • Heartbreaker (Goode Boys #2)
  • Loosen Up (Ace's Wild, #5)
I don't hang out on Goodreads much, so if you'd like to connect with me then Twitter, Facebook or an email is usually best :) All my contact details are on my website.

Jay lives just outside Bristol in the West of England. He comes from a family of writers, but always used to believe that the gene for fiction writing had passed him by. He spent years only ever writing emails, articles, or website c

Rainbow Place (5 books)
  • Rainbow Place (Rainbow Place, #1)
  • Safe Place (Rainbow Place, #2)
  • Better Place (Rainbow Place, #3)
  • Happy Place (Rainbow Place, #5)