Start by marking “The Demons Beneath (D.I. Graves, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Demons Beneath (D.I. Graves, #1)

The Demons Beneath

(D.I. Graves #1)

"Genuinely creepy and panic inducing... a great police thriller."
- Andrew Tadman, The Books of Blood

"Had me going all the way to the very end. The very end... just macabre."
- Barbara T. Cerny, author of The Tiefling

"Jackson lures readers in and holds them, which is always a sign of good writing filled with experience with the genre."
- J Cheiser, Online Book Club

When a bloo
Published April 2019 by Panther Publishing (first published March 6th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Demons Beneath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demons Beneath

Start your review of The Demons Beneath (D.I. Graves, #1)
Zoé-lee O'farrell
HOLY FRICKING MOLY!!!!

The End!

That is my review!! You have to read this book!! It is bloody epic! We have two stories running together throughout, one is killing people off who are linked with Glint an infamous tattooist. The second one sent chills up and down my spine, I mean Demons are real right!!

I loved meeting Graves and Charlie, I mean when someone is described as Henry Cavill, hello I am there! And when the main character is not Mr H.C but someone who is insecure about the way he looks ne
Honestmamreader
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
✨✨✨ REVIEW ✨✨ ✨
5🌟
D.I Graves is a seriously busy man 🕵️ a body is found in a park, with a gaping wound in his stomach 🔪 whilst piecing together what little evidence they have on this case; another body is called in. And this one may be the result of a demon 😈 but even in Graves's words "He firmly believed that the supernatural was folklore and stories dreamt up by people desperate to find explanations for things they could not or would not understand"
"With two cases on his shoulders and th
Duncan Thompson
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An explosive start to what promises to be a brilliant series.

D.I Graves, already has his worked cut out for him when his current case hits a dead end. And now a new case has been thrown into the mix: A family is plagued by poltergeist activity and now the husband is dead. Killed in his own home while a demonologist attempted an exorcism. The work of the devil or is there a simpler explanation, an explanation which eludes Graves and his team.

W.D Jackson-Smart makes an impressive introduction to
Michelle Ryles
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-read
I really enjoyed this book; adding an element of the supernatural makes it a thriller with a difference. DI Daniel Graves has just moved from Derbyshire to London and boy, has he been thrown in at the deep end; he has two murder cases to investigate, one being linked to the tattoo industry and the other appears to be death by demon. I do love a bit of unexplained spookiness so I did prefer the demon case over the tattoo one, but I think it made it quite true to life for a detective to be investi ...more
Mandie
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now I am going to admit that the author of The Demons Beneath is not one I had ever come across before, nor is the premise of the book one I would normally consider to have on my reading list, but sometimes it does you good to challenge what you would normally read and throw something in to the mix, after all how else do you discover a new series that you enjoy??
DI Daniel Graves is having a really busy time. Already investigating a murder that he doesn’t seem to be able to find a motive for, he
Kelly Van Damme
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
D.I. Graves is having a busy week. Not only is he working on a murder case, he also gets another case thrown at him. This second case is not as straight-forward as the first one seems to be. There's a casualty and the culprit... is a demon. But demons don't exist, it must be a scam? Right?! Poor D.I. Graves is a bit at a loss, to be honest, and so was I. We meet the family with the demonic infestation first and let me tell you, you do not want to read those scenes when you're home alone and it's ...more
Emma Parkinson
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The guys over at Panther Publishing asked via Instagram if anyone would like to read and review a book called ‘From Inside The House’ – of course, I said yes and the book was emailed over to me to read on my Kindle. However, that is Book Two of the DI Graves series so they very kindly also sent me Book One.

My review for the blog tour on ‘From Inside The House’ isn’t due to go live until 9th July so in the meantime, here is my full review for ‘The Demons Beneath’.

Detective Inspector Daniel Graves
Shalini
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With the cover and the title hinting at something that was unseen by the human eye, how could I not want to read it. The book was a police procedural, but quite an unusual one as the the way the murder victims were ripped apart, it hinted at something supernatural.

The team of brilliant detectives had me quiet giddy with anticipation as there was something calming and thorough about them. DI Daniel Graves was called to investigate the murder of a man in the park. Meanwhile, a family across town w
Marie
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
After agreeing to take part in the upcoming book tour for From Inside The House, the newest release from author W.D Jackson-Smart, I thought I'd better read book 1 from the D.I Graves series in order to familiarise myself with the characters and Panther Publishing were kind enough to send it to me.

I wasn't sure what to expect from The Demons Beneath, I'd never heard of the author but the premise definitely intrigued me so I thought I'd give it a shot and I'm glad I did ask I thought it was fab!

A
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
DI Daniel Graves is not having a good time of it! First he’s assigned a baffling case of a tortured body found in a park, then he gets called to an address when the family think that a demon has killed someone. Will he be able to crack both cases?

The Demons Beneath is gripping and spooky police procedural that really shakes things up, blurring the lines between police procedural and horror. I love it when an author does this to create a really exciting and entertaining read.

DI Daniel Graves is a
J_Mc 251
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the cleverest books that I have read in a long time, this one kept me guessing from beginning to end. At first, it seemed as if there were multiple stories that would run concurrently (not unlike a police serial where they investigate multiple cases). But then the stories diverged in a very interesting manner (no spoilers), and that’s when the tension ratcheted up. It had me turning pages deep into the night, and I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book. For a full review, ...more
Yvonne
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
What do you get when a horror writer decides to mix it up and write a crime thriller? Answer = You get The Demons Beneath! And what a cracking read it was as well!

Inspector Daniel Graves (love the surname – very horror-esque sounding!) is still getting used to his new life in London. He is recently transferred from Derbyshire and is not only trying to find his feet in the city but, also with the level and type of crimes. He has two cases land on his desk, one is for a body that has just been dis
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Emma for my place on the blog tour and the author for a copy of the book.  All thoughts are my own.

Wow wow wow.  This book was such a surprise.  Blew me literally off my feet.  It’s such an exhilarating ride when you come across an author you haven’t even heard of that is knocking it clean out of the park.  The writing, the storytelling, clever twists and turns, and an explosive ending.  Do you want to immerse yourself into a genuinely accurate but a rollercoaster ride of emotions and
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
Now anyone who knows me will tell you I have zero belief in the supernatural etc and I’m not easily scared by things that go bump in the night but this plot had me terrified in places.

There are two main plots to this novel. DI Graves and his partner Charlie are investigating two murders. One is from a body found in the park and all leads seem to link to an infamous character in the tattooing world. The second was apparently committed by a demon! The events of each murder unfold alternately in ea
Alex Jones
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
ntroducing D.I. Daniel Graves, W.D. Jackson-Smart brings a new and exciting detective and series to the crime fiction table, in this police procedural entwined in the dark and demonic...

Dealing with not 1, but 2 cases, DI graves and his partner Charlie are busy chaps, on the hunt for a serial killer and also a demon?....

I raced through the first 30 frightening % whilst led in bed in the dark... this prompted a tweet to the publisher and author, the atmospheric feel, the descriptive writing of th
Donna Maguire

This is the first book in the fantastic DI Graves series, I had actually read the second book before this one and I really want to see how the series continues now, I think it is excellent and certainly one to watch for me.

I thought that the plot was excellent, it is well researched and a really ell crafted novel that had me hooked from the outset. The author has a brilliant style of writing and it worked really well with this storyline. I liked the mix of
Lel Budge
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is #1 in a new series featuring DI Daniel Graves.

DI Daniel Graves is new to London’s Met Police and is on the Homicide and Serious Crime Command and is called to the body of a man found with a horrific wound. Then the victim’s boss is found murdered too with similarities…..is a serial killer at work? And what is the link to the mysterious Banksy of the tattooing world?

Running alongside this is the story of the Morris family, they are being terrified in their home by something spooky….the ch
Shweta
Shari Sakurai
is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2019
W.D. Jackson-Smart
Jun 21, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Sorcha Toornent
Jul 11, 2019
karen
Jul 15, 2019

• Ghoster
  • A Proclivity To Prurience: Obsession Comes With A Price (The Obsession Trilogy)
  • Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)
  • The Art of Murder (Jordan Jenner Mysteries #2)
  • A Dark Matter
  • 17 Church Row
  • The Guest List
  • Dead Wrong (DC Maggie Jamieson #2)
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • Gone
  • The Holdout
  • The Death and Life of Penny Pitstop
  • Firewatching (Detective Sergeant Adam Tyler #1)
  • It's Not PMS, It's You
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Cage (Reykjavik Noir Trilogy, #3)
  • What Goes Around
  • A Wash of Black (DI Erika Piper, #1)

D.I. Graves (2 books)
  • From Inside The House (D.I. Graves, #2)

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...