Start by marking “The Demons Beneath (D.I. Graves, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Demons Beneath (D.I. Graves, #1)

The Demons Beneath

(D.I. Graves #1)

When a bloody corpse is discovered in a North London park, Detective Inspector Daniel Graves is the man tasked with finding the killer. With no clues and no suspects it seems like a dead end. Then another body turns up and this time it looks like it could be his fault. Has his investigation caused the murderer to strike again? Is he dealing with a serial killer?

As case on
Published April 2019 by Panther Publishing (first published March 6th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Demons Beneath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demons Beneath

Start your review of The Demons Beneath (D.I. Graves, #1)
Zoé-Lee O'Farrell
HOLY FRICKING MOLY!!!!

The End!

That is my review!! You have to read this book!! It is bloody epic! We have two stories running together throughout, one is killing people off who are linked with Glint an infamous tattooist. The second one sent chills up and down my spine, I mean Demons are real right!!

I loved meeting Graves and Charlie, I mean when someone is described as Henry Cavill, hello I am there! And when the main character is not Mr H.C but someone who is insecure about the way he looks ne
Honestmamreader
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
✨✨✨ REVIEW ✨✨ ✨
5🌟
D.I Graves is a seriously busy man 🕵️ a body is found in a park, with a gaping wound in his stomach 🔪 whilst piecing together what little evidence they have on this case; another body is called in. And this one may be the result of a demon 😈 but even in Graves's words "He firmly believed that the supernatural was folklore and stories dreamt up by people desperate to find explanations for things they could not or would not understand"
"With two cases on his shoulders and th
Michelle Ryles
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-read
I really enjoyed this book; adding an element of the supernatural makes it a thriller with a difference. DI Daniel Graves has just moved from Derbyshire to London and boy, has he been thrown in at the deep end; he has two murder cases to investigate, one being linked to the tattoo industry and the other appears to be death by demon. I do love a bit of unexplained spookiness so I did prefer the demon case over the tattoo one, but I think it made it quite true to life for a detective to be investi ...more
Mandie
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now I am going to admit that the author of The Demons Beneath is not one I had ever come across before, nor is the premise of the book one I would normally consider to have on my reading list, but sometimes it does you good to challenge what you would normally read and throw something in to the mix, after all how else do you discover a new series that you enjoy??
DI Daniel Graves is having a really busy time. Already investigating a murder that he doesn’t seem to be able to find a motive for, he
Kelly Van Damme
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
D.I. Graves is having a busy week. Not only is he working on a murder case, he also gets another case thrown at him. This second case is not as straight-forward as the first one seems to be. There's a casualty and the culprit... is a demon. But demons don't exist, it must be a scam? Right?! Poor D.I. Graves is a bit at a loss, to be honest, and so was I. We meet the family with the demonic infestation first and let me tell you, you do not want to read those scenes when you're home alone and it's ...more
Emma Parkinson
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The guys over at Panther Publishing asked via Instagram if anyone would like to read and review a book called ‘From Inside The House’ – of course, I said yes and the book was emailed over to me to read on my Kindle. However, that is Book Two of the DI Graves series so they very kindly also sent me Book One.

My review for the blog tour on ‘From Inside The House’ isn’t due to go live until 9th July so in the meantime, here is my full review for ‘The Demons Beneath’.

Detective Inspector Daniel Graves
Shalini
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With the cover and the title hinting at something that was unseen by the human eye, how could I not want to read it. The book was a police procedural, but quite an unusual one as the the way the murder victims were ripped apart, it hinted at something supernatural.

The team of brilliant detectives had me quiet giddy with anticipation as there was something calming and thorough about them. DI Daniel Graves was called to investigate the murder of a man in the park. Meanwhile, a family across town w
Marie
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
After agreeing to take part in the upcoming book tour for From Inside The House, the newest release from author W.D Jackson-Smart, I thought I'd better read book 1 from the D.I Graves series in order to familiarise myself with the characters and Panther Publishing were kind enough to send it to me.

I wasn't sure what to expect from The Demons Beneath, I'd never heard of the author but the premise definitely intrigued me so I thought I'd give it a shot and I'm glad I did ask I thought it was fab!

A
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
DI Daniel Graves is not having a good time of it! First he’s assigned a baffling case of a tortured body found in a park, then he gets called to an address when the family think that a demon has killed someone. Will he be able to crack both cases?

The Demons Beneath is gripping and spooky police procedural that really shakes things up, blurring the lines between police procedural and horror. I love it when an author does this to create a really exciting and entertaining read.

DI Daniel Graves is a
J_McA 251
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the cleverest books that I have read in a long time, this one kept me guessing from beginning to end. At first, it seemed as if there were multiple stories that would run concurrently (not unlike a police serial where they investigate multiple cases). But then the stories diverged in a very interesting manner (no spoilers), and that’s when the tension ratcheted up. It had me turning pages deep into the night, and I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book. For a full review, ...more
Yvonne
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
What do you get when a horror writer decides to mix it up and write a crime thriller? Answer = You get The Demons Beneath! And what a cracking read it was as well!

Inspector Daniel Graves (love the surname – very horror-esque sounding!) is still getting used to his new life in London. He is recently transferred from Derbyshire and is not only trying to find his feet in the city but, also with the level and type of crimes. He has two cases land on his desk, one is for a body that has just been dis
Shari Sakurai
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received this novel for free in exchange for an honest review*

D.I Daniel Graves is in the middle of investigating a series of murders that may or may not be the work of serial killer when he is called in on a very different kind of case. An exorcism of a demon that has gone wrong and claimed the life of a husband and father. Quickly Graves finds himself drawn into the supernatural world as he tries to keep a cool head and discover the truth. After all, demons aren’t real. Are they?

I really en
Sue
Jul 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Bloodhound Books for the ARC and a welcome introduction to the new 'kid' on the block - DI Graves. A really likeable character who has a good supporting team of characters who are all interesting in their own right. All the characters are presented realistically.

This is not a short book but you don't notice it , as you eat up the pages hoping that the demons beneath stay beneath and the murders facing the police are solved. It is really well-paced and well-written making it an easy rea
Mary Ryan
Jun 30, 2022 rated it liked it
This was a good but a bit of a creepy read. There are 2 threads that Daniel Graves has to investigate. One is the killing of people linked to the tattoo artist Glint and the other involves possible supernatural forces which results in the death of a man in front of his family.

The story flowed really well and I enjoyed it. I found the supernatural parts quite creepy and wasn't really for me but that is just me and the only reason I gave it 3 stars rather than 4. I liked the characters in the team
June
Jul 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author and I am certainly glad to be given the opportunity to discover an author who I will have to read more of his books.
DI Daniel Graves certainly has his work cut out what with murders and the supposed supernatural.
This is a gripping is on the edge of your seat thriller. So cleverly written full of suspense, twists and revelations which have you glued to the book from beginning to end and what an ending.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and would certainly say
Faye Ridpath
Jul 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from Bloodhound Books.

Are demons real? That is what we examine while a death that occurred during an exorcism is investigated.

This book kept me on the edge of my seat.

The dialog was well-written and some of it gave me chills.

This book had me saying "One more chapter" until I finished it in almost one sitting.

I definitely want to read more!
Kim
Jun 30, 2022 rated it it was amazing
D.I.Graves really had his work cut out for him in trying to solve these two cases! One Demonic and the other Tattoo related and yet following each set of twists and turns for both cases was made easy by the superb writing.
I'm really looking forward to reading the next book in this series after the way this one ended!
Yvonne (The Coycaterpillar Reads)
Thanks to Emma for my place on the blog tour and the author for a copy of the book.  All thoughts are my own.

Wow wow wow.  This book was such a surprise.  Blew me literally off my feet.  It’s such an exhilarating ride when you come across an author you haven’t even heard of that is knocking it clean out of the park.  The writing, the storytelling, clever twists and turns, and an explosive ending.  Do you want to immerse yourself into a genuinely accurate but a rollercoaster ride of emotions and
Donna
Disclaimer: I received the ebook free from Bloodhound Books for an honest review.

A new detective inspector in town, finding his feet, when two cases come in at once. One involves the murder of a mechanic and the other is about a family dealing with some kind of supernatural presence in their house.

I liked the police characters and their interactions and am glad to see it will have a sequel. Following the investigations kept me interested. There is a baddie who is a nasty piece of work which is a
Gibbothegreat
Jun 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
"The Demons Beneath" is my first from an author I've never heard of and so glad I had the opportunity to read it, it's a fantastic read!!.

D.I Daniel Graves is investigating a series of murders that may or may not be the work of a serial killer when he's called to investigate another death which might involve something supernatural.

He's in partnership with D.I Charlie Palmer, the rapport they have is sublime and really added to the story. We're also fed details about Charlie's past which adds to
Janet
Jun 29, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
Now anyone who knows me will tell you I have zero belief in the supernatural etc and I’m not easily scared by things that go bump in the night but this plot had me terrified in places.

There are two main plots to this novel. DI Graves and his partner Charlie are investigating two murders. One is from a body found in the park and all leads seem to link to an infamous character in the tattooing world. The second was apparently committed by a demon! The events of each murder unfold alternately in ea
Lesley Williams
May 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Killers and demons.
Brilliant read, now starting book 2 in the
DI Greaves series
Hope there as good.
Keeping my fingers crossed and a crucifix near.lol.
Alli Thompson
Jun 23, 2022 rated it liked it
A creepy, murder mystery. The first half of the book felt like a Graham Masterton novel. A demon terrorising a family, a spate of murders. For me, the book didn’t quite live up to its early promise. It provided lots of convenient twists and turns, but it didn’t have me on the edge of my seat. Thank you Bloodhound Books for the ARC.
Eileen l Rizvi
Jun 22, 2022 rated it really liked it
Demons & murders - I was expecting dark demons but it was actually tame , haunting house with family and a few murders thrown in
This story had a good flow to it, characters where good , maybe more humour or interaction with each other but other otherwise I enjoyed this book &
would happily read other books from author
Mel Nicholls
Jun 22, 2022 rated it really liked it
An excellent start to what promises to be a exciting series. Not a run of the mill detective story, some serious unsettling twists and turns and an unforeseen ending. Looking forward to seeing how the characters develop as the series continues.
Jeni Wilson
Jun 22, 2022 rated it really liked it
Started intense and stayed with quite a bit of action and mystery. Read like 2 stories in one so you didn't get bored with a drawn out singular plot, but it all tied nicely together. Can't wait for the next book. ...more
Anders Caous
Jun 21, 2022 rated it it was amazing
A murder investigator having problems seeing dead bodies. Hilarious, I felt sorry for the guy who is a very likeable police officer. Chasing a murderer or a demon? Read it and find out, you won’t regret it.
Thanks Bloodhound Books for the opportunity.
daniellecarr
Jun 21, 2022 rated it really liked it
Had me hooked from the first page. Murder mystery meets the supernatural . Book perfection .
Alex Jones
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
ntroducing D.I. Daniel Graves, W.D. Jackson-Smart brings a new and exciting detective and series to the crime fiction table, in this police procedural entwined in the dark and demonic...

Dealing with not 1, but 2 cases, DI graves and his partner Charlie are busy chaps, on the hunt for a serial killer and also a demon?....

I raced through the first 30 frightening % whilst led in bed in the dark... this prompted a tweet to the publisher and author, the atmospheric feel, the descriptive writing of th
Goodreads Librari...: Info needs updating/amending 2 23 Jul 07, 2022 06:04AM

• From My Cold Dead Hands
  • A Parting Gift (The DI Alec McKay Series)
  • What Follows
  • The Vanishing Patient (Dr. Cathy Moreland Mystery #7)
  • A Perfect Family
  • Venus Was Her Name
  • The Dilemma
  • The Canal Murders (DI Yates, #10)
  • Abberton House
  • Reap What You Sow
  • Open Your Eyes
  • Misper
  • Here Lies Alice
  • Murder on the Menu (A Shilpa Solanki Mystery #2)
  • The Good Husband
  • The Husband Trap
  • The Heritage Murders
  • Cold Heart

D.I. Graves (3 books)
  • From Inside The House (D.I. Graves, #2)
  • The Devils Mark (D.I. Graves #3)