Start by marking “Murder, She Wrote: A Time for Murder” as Want to Read:
Murder, She Wrote: A Time for Murder

Murder, She Wrote: A Time for Murder

(Murder, She Wrote #50)

In the fiftieth entry in thisUSA Todaybestselling series, two timelines converge as Jessica Fletcher returns to high school to investigate the murder of an old colleague, while we meet Jessica as a young teacher solving her very first murder--that of the high school principal.

Young Jessica Fletcher's life couldn't be more ordinary. She teaches at the local high school
Published November 28th 2019 by Berkley - Us

To ask other readers questions about Murder, She Wrote, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder, She Wrote

Start your review of Murder, She Wrote: A Time for Murder
megs_bookrack
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

It felt great to be back with Jessica again, although different under new authorship.

Full review to come...

Thank you, Berkley Publishing Group for my ARC!!!

I appreciate it so much and look forward to getting to this. I have read 32 of the books in this series and own almost all of them.

To say I love Jessica Fletcher would be a HUGE understatement.

This will be my first penned by Jon Land however. Certainly hoping it stays true to the feel of the original series and that I
Sherry Fundin
Wow, #50 in the Murder She Wrote series and I have enjoyed reading the books and watching the TV reruns. How about you?

We are going back in time to Jessica Fletcher’s first murder investigation, her publisher.

It was the inspiration for Jessica Fletcher becoming a mystery writer, but, more than that, bodies are falling and they all lead back to the high school she used to teach at and the murder of her publisher.

Back and forth we go,

I was led down false paths, following one red herring after
Juli
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote. I watched the show every week when it was on television and still re-watch the series today. I love the characters, the setting and the cozy-ness of the series. No spurting blood.....no graphic sex or violence. Just an author sleuthing out killers with grace and skill.

A Time For Murder is the 50th Murder She Wrote novel.....so lots of people still enjoy Jessica Fletcher! I've read several of the MSW books, by Donald
Mark Baker
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, mystery
When Jessica Fletcher sits down to be interviewed by a student from Cabot Cove High School, she is surprised to find the student bringing up Jessica’s first time solving a murder. No, it wasn’t at the launch party of her first book, but it was twenty-five years ago when she, her husband Frank, and their nephew Grady were living in Appleton, Maine. The principal where Jessica was a substitute English teacher was murdered, and Jessica helped solve the case. Jessica usually doesn’t talk about it, ...more
Albert
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Lesa
Murder, She Wrote: A Time for Murder by "Jessica Fletcher" and Jon Land is the fiftieth book in the popular series, and the first one I've read. Although it was entertaining, the climax was so over-the-top and implausible, along with other implausible elements, that I found myself questioning the story. It's another series that is meant for long-time fans, rather than for me.

It's been twenty-five years since Jessica Fletcher solved her first murder mystery. When a reporter asks for an interview
Jeanie
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-provided, obs
I love this fabulous 50th in series! It is a wonderful start to the next 25 years of Jessica’s adventures! In this stunning, intense mystery, Jessica takes us back to a place and time she rarely mentions – Appleton, Maine, when she and her late husband Frank were very happily married and raising their nephew, Grady. Characters are likable and well-developed. The mystery is challenging, culminating in an intense battle. The plot is finely detailed and executed.

Jessica meets with a student
Thomas Bruso
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 50th Murder She Wrote whodunit, “A Time for Murder,” is a unique blend of nostalgia and mystery.

Land turns the clock back for America’s favorite fictional sleuth and busybody, Jessica Fletcher, as she solves her very first mystery before moving to the infamous town of Cabot Cove, ME. The satisfying narrative introduces readers to Jessica’s early life in Appleton, ME before she moved to Cabot Cove with her husband Frank Fletcher. Jessica, then a young high school English teacher, stumbles
Victoria

I've read several of the MSW books before, all of the previous ones have been penned by Jessica Fletcher and Donald Bain. This was my first Jessica Fletcher and Jon Land. I have to say, I'm probably biased, but based on this one, I am more of a fan of the Donald Bain ones.
That's not to say that I didn't enjoy this one, I did, for the most part! There were several positive aspects to this installment. The first thing that I really enjoyed was that this was a dual-murder mystery and we get to
Smitten
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even Jessica Fletcher’s closest friends don’t know the real story about her first case. They assume the first murder Jessica investigated took place at a party celebrating the publication of her first novel. However, there was an earlier investigation in Appleton, Maine when Jessica’s husband Frank was still alive that was actually the first murder she solved. This isn’t a case Jessica likes thinking about, but an interview with a young woman followed by an invitation to a retirement party for a ...more
Katherine
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
A BIG thanks to Berkley Prime Crime!

I really enjoyed this time slip mystery. The author transports the reader to a time when Jessica's husband, Frank, is alive and the couple are raising their nephew, Grady. And! Jessica reveals her address ~ 698 Candlewood Lane ~ I would love to stop by and enjoy a cup of tea with the famous sleuth! Wouldn't you?

The mystery begins when a student interviews Jessica for the high school newspaper, well, maybe I should re-phrase that. The mystery begins
Virginia Campbell
"MURDER, SHE WROTE: A TIME FOR MURDER" is the 50th entry in the best-selling book series based on the beloved, long-running TV series "Murder, She Wrote" featuring amateur sleuth and successful mystery writer Jessica Fletcher. This story is an involving mystery-within-a-mystery that engages the reader while giving fans a glimpse into the early adult life of the much-loved character of Jessica, who began her working life as an English teacher. The story line weaves action from the present day ...more
Debbie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, suspense
"A Time for Murder" is a cozy mystery. This is the 50th book in the series. You don't have to read the previous novels to understand this one, and this one doesn't spoil the whodunit of previous novels.

The book had two mysteries: Jessica's first murder investigation which occurred 25 years ago and one that was happening currently. The old murder was told a bit at a time, explaining the clues as Jessica spotted them. Whodunit was a strong suspect, but I couldn't be sure until the final clues that
Pam Walker
I started reading these books many years ago as I was a big fan of the series on television. For years, Donald Bain penned these books but this is the first one by Jon Land and I see the difference in the styles. This one has a bit more complex plot but still has the same lovable characters. I had read up to #47 and then skipped two in order to get an ARC from NetGalley on this one. Usually you can read them out of order, but nuances in this once to previous events will make me go back and read ...more
Mary
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I received the ARC of this book through a Goodreads Giveaway. I have read many previous Murder She Wrote mysteries, and really enjoyed them. This 50th book in the series is enjoyable, but I notice a bit of difference in style between the Donald Bain stories and now Jon Land.
I did not enjoy the flashbacks to Jessica's time as a substitute teacher and solving her first murder. Though it was necessary to the plot, I found it a bit confusing. Since I have missed a few of the recent books, I was also
Leslie M.
If you’re looking for a solid murder mystery without the gory details, this is a great book to check out. It’s even more fun to read if you’re a fan of the “Murder She Wrote” series, like I am, as it was great to read about the familiar characters.

This book contains a dual-murder mystery, switching from past to present, which was a nice twist. It was great to “see” Jessica and Amos work together for the first time, as well as get a glimpse into Jessica as a teacher. The characters felt like
Anne
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this arc in a giveaway. This is the first Murder, She Wrote book that I have ever read but I absolutely love the show and still watch when I get a chance, so of course I was very excited to get a hold of this book.

I really enjoyed this story. I loved getting to visit Jessica, Seth, Amos, Mort, and the town of Cabot Cove. The mystery was well done and the side characters were very intriguing. I really loved the fact that we got to see so much of Jessica's past as the book flashes from the
Joey
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Split book - past and present. I'm not a big fan of that style but the book was very interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Donald Bain had a "cozier" writing style than Jon Land's and, while I have read and enjoyed the newer titles written by Jon Land, I am more partial to Donald Bain's writing style.

It's always fun to see what Jessica is up to, but when I get to catch up with the Cabot Cove regulars at the same time, that makes the reading even more enjoyable.

This is the 50th book in the
Leona
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy these books. I don't try to connect them to the television series as a lot of other reviews seem to do and I'm far less critical than most. I did not, however, like the ending of this book, thus the 4 stars. These books are easy to read, flow very nicely even though the action bounces back and forth from the present to 25 years ago, we're given more information about Jessica's beloved Frank, and I learned what the "B" in J.B. Fletcher stood for - although readers may have already ...more
Smart Bookaholics Inc Bookstore
I was raised on Murder She Wrote so I feel like I'm a bit biased but I flew through this in 1 and half days! I dig the humor in this story and in the tv show! This was a fast paced mystery that kept you guessing! I enjoyed everything about it! This is the 50th book which I find amazing! Although I have only read this one If you liked the tv series I feel you would enjoy this! This book is on sale November 26th 2019! Be on the lookout! Thank you Berkley Publishing for the free arc in exchange ...more
Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio
jon Land pays homage to Jessica Fletcher in this 50th entry in the series. Land's portrayal of Fletcher is a bit edgier than in previous volumes scripted by the late Donald Bain. I for one welcome the change. The plots are a bit more complex, but Jessica still remains the same lovable sleuth who always manages to pull a chestnut out of the fire at the last minute to save the day. I could do without all the bickering between her and Sherrif Metzger, though, which at times seems a bit overdone. ...more
Beatrice Followill
I really enjoyed reading this ! I can picture this as one of her episodes , Jessica goes back in time 25 years to be exact to her very first murder that she has not published, when a woman posing as a high school reporter asks her questions about her past and comes up dead herself. As coincidence goes this one is too familiar and its up to Jessica to finally put the past and present case to rest!
Piepie
I think this is definitely one of the better Murder, She Wrote mysteries that I've read. I loved seeing flashbacks to Jessica's marriage with Frank, and seeing Amos and Mort when Jessica first met them when she moved to Cabot Cove with her husband and their nephew Grady. I also liked the ties to the Mafia and how the mystery strings you along so I instantly want the next book. J.B. Fletcher, I'm a fan!
Jennifer Stanley
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
For anyone who misses watching Jessica Fletcher solve a mystery every week, can go on another crime solving adventure with Jessica yet again. But this time we get a glimpse in the life of a young Jessica Fletcher when she was first married. As always, the Jessica Fletcher books are appealing to those who want a mystery/crime solving story without the gore or the extreme violence. This is a good choice for someone who craves a cozy mystery without all of the cats or knitting.
Candy
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery. Keeps you involved and questioning everyone. As I noticed since Jon Land has taken over writing this series, he likes to constantly refer to Frank, the long-dead husband who was never in the series. In this book it was nice to see Amos again, but I felt Land changed his character into a weak and inept man. The story is good but I preferred Donald Bain’s writing.
Val
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mind has been blown. We finally (in a way) get to meet Frank and learn a bit about Jess's life before Cabot Cove. We also learn about her first ever murder investigation and how it's connected to a present day murder. Read in 2 days but it would have been 1 if the phone didn't ring and EVERYONE didn't have to talk to me as soon as the book was in my hand. (don't you hate that?)
Iona Caldwell
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fans of the Murder She Wrote series will love this latest installment of the adventures of Jessica Fletcher. Very well written and edited, providing a read an avid reader will delughtfully find themselves enthralled by.
Amanda
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I got this ARC from a goodreads giveaway! I’ve never read a Murder She Wrote book before, so this was a new experience. It was very nostalgic and cute. The mystery was pretty good, even if sometimes I had a hard time keeping the characters straight.
Marsha
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Jessica Fletcher murder. Some of the best murder mysteries.
susan purington
Nov 28, 2019

• Stealth (A Stone Barrington Novel)
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
  • Final Option (Oregon Files, #14)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • The Christmas Keeper (Happily Ever After, #2)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • City of Scoundrels (Counterfeit Lady, #3)
  • Mulberry Mischief (A Berry Basket Mystery #4)
  • The Bodies in the Library (First Edition Library Mystery, #1)
  • Haunted House Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #25.7)
  • Judge Thee Not (Quaker Midwife Mystery #5)
  • Strands of Truth
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Buried in the Stacks (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #3)
  • The Stalking (Krewe of Hunters #29)
  • Death of a Gigolo (A Jaine Austen Mystery)
  • Apple Cider Slaying (A Cider Shop Mystery #1)

Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and

Murder, She Wrote (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1)
  • Manhattans & Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2)
  • Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3)
  • Brandy and Bullets (Murder, She Wrote, #4)
  • Martinis & Mayhem (Murder, She Wrote, #5)
  • A Deadly Judgment (Murder, She Wrote, #6)
  • A Palette for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #7)
  • The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote, #8)
  • Murder on the QE2 (Murder, She Wrote, #9)
  • Murder in Moscow (Murder, She Wrote, #10)