Start by marking “You Wish” as Want to Read:
You Wish

You Wish

Winner of the 2019 American Eagle Book Awards

Imagine you are granted three wishes--and your second wish is captured by a television news crew and broadcast across the globe. Imagine the whole world knows you can wish for absolutely anything, and it will come true. Now imagine you're fourteen years old.

Jake Parker is about to finish the freshman year of what's shaping up t
Published March 27th 2019 by Blue Zebra Press

To ask other readers questions about You Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Wish

Start your review of You Wish
Leonard Tillerman
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reviews
If you were granted the ability to make one wish, what would it be?  Perhaps you would want infinite riches, or an end to world poverty.  Undoubtedly, most of us long for such an opportunity.  The end of all our worries and set up financially for the rest of our life.  Or maybe you are more altruistic in your motives and long to save all of mankind.  Put a stop to all the pain and suffering which flashes across our television screens on a daily basis.  Whichever way you lean, the ultimate decisi ...more
Nina Romano
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review of YOU WISH by Mark Scott Piper

My first impression of this book is that it’s a solid, intelligent, and well-written novel. YOU WISH by Mark Scott Piper is a wonderfully conceived piece of fiction that has all of the elements that make literature work: action, escapades, tension, pursuits, and even humor. Risks are what keep the writing fresh and nuanced and this is an adventure story that fits the bill, as well as being a coming-of-age. The protagonist is a teenage boy, Jake Parker, who i
Mark Piper
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I loved it, but then I wrote it, so ...
MJ LaBeff
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Magical. Believable. Transportive.

Readers get ready to suspend reality and enjoy the journey.

You Wish by Mark Scott Piper is a beautifully written story that will make you believe in the possibility of making wishes come true.

I was immediately intrigued by the main character Jake a fifteen year old who like many kids his age faces the trials and tribulations of high school life and falling short of being a star athlete. Jake's brother older brother Kevin is still a little socially
C.A. Asbrey
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mark Scott Piper’s delightful tale of wishes being fulfilled is just what we all need in this tough year. It’s an enchanting romp through the old tale of being given three wishes, but the author gives us a lovely spin on it by making the main protagonist smart, savvy, and caring. Jake is only a teenager, but he’s both responsible and compassionate, and not about to waste this valuable chance to make things better for the people he cares about – especially after wasting his first one so thoughtle ...more
Sandra Lopez
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Jake Parker was your typical 15-year old geeky scrub. All he wanted was to not look like a dweeb. But “it’s lame to want stuff that’ll never happen.” (3)

Story has several points of view (Jake, his mom, some land developer, etc.) It had a slow start with talk of the Old Addison place that was bound for renovation. Jake has a wild imagination, making himself to be a pirate (weirdo!), and the boys talk a lot of sports, which wasn’t too interesting to me only because I’m not keen on sports.

One day,
Steven Smith
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable read. This is one of those books that can be appreciated by everyone from young adult on up. While it's not a young adult novel, the protagonist is an almost 15yr old boy. The weight of the world's expectations has been thrust upon him and everyone from the president to corrupt local politicians are pressuring him to do the "right" thing.

Mark Piper gets us seamlessly into the head of an awkward teenager, his struggling soon-to-be-divorced mother, a mafia figure, and some F
Anya Pavelle
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Jake is a teenager who finds a magic lantern and is granted three wishes as a result. He's tempted to use a wish to improve his family's financial situation, but he instead ponders the value in wishing for things that would benefit others. Jake's genuine goodness made me like him as a character. He definitely faces pressure from all sides, especially from the President and even from his father who abandoned the family for another woman. You Wish is a nice twist on the ...more
Bo Kearns
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mark Piper’s debut novel You Wish is a winner! Jake Parker, the protagonist is an awkward, likable fifteen-year-old. He discovers a magic lantern in a secret room of an abandoned mansion. On rubbing the lantern, he’s granted three wishes. Sounds straightforward and young adult focused. Not at all! It’s a delightful story that will appeal to all ages. The plot is clever and imaginative. As Jake struggles to decide his Final Wish, unsavory characters with self-serving intentions appear to influenc ...more
Lis Anna-Langston
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book. In a sea of stories that all begin to sound the same, with overly hip or excessively quirky characters, this one was refreshing. I liked the characters, particularly Jake and Ben. There were some nice twists and overall I really liked it and blazed through the last 40 or 50 pages to see how it ended.
J. Curtis
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So refreshing! How did Mark Piper get the magic of a found lantern with the stunning realism of contemporary society? This is not just for young adults, but for those of us who need a dose of the wonderful along with a sardonic take on corruption and greed in business and government. A very satisfying read.
Kelly K
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You Wish is a unique crossover tale with the ability to hold the interests of teen and adult readers alike. The depth of characters and thought-provoking story premise kept me flipping pages to the very end. Jake is a relatable and engaging hero. Highly recommend this story!
Rick Taubold
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t hand out five-star ratings lightly, but I could find no compelling reason not to give one to this excellent novel by Mark Scott Piper. The story is fresh, the characters are engaging, realistic, and three-dimensional, and the writing itself is superb. I counted one, maybe two, small errors in the entire novel, and being a finicky editor, I will notice everything. The editing on this is excellent.

The author uses the ages-old three-wishes concept in a fresh way here and in a way that makes
Kameron
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
(review request submitted by the author for an honest critique)

At a very young age, we all start making wishes. Whether we are sitting behind a birthday cake’s candle or looking up at the night sky, we think of what we want most and hope our wish or wishes come true.

In You Wish, Jake finds an old ship’s lantern and discoveries it has the power to grant wishes. The catch: You can’t say the wish out loud or disclose your wish. If you do, the wish is recanted.

Like Jake, I think many of us would ac
Donna
You Wish is a compelling story that crosses over a broad spectrum of genres. Part YA fiction, part mystery, part thriller, and definitely literary fiction, this page turner touches on both timeless themes and contemporary culture. Jake Parker is one of those quick-witted teenaged misanthropes we all wanted to hang out with in high school. Accompanying him on this adventure was a joy that left me wishing for more. A truly satisfying read.
K
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The story, a boy who gets 3 wishes granted him by a magic lamp-like object, and unwittingly wasting it for something dumb, is not new.

However.

The twist comes when his second wish is accidentally witnessed by, as it turns out, the entire world. Now he’s got everyone telling him what that third and final wish has to be. What’s a kid to do?

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that, because the protagonist is a kid, that this is a kid’s book. It isn’t. Mr. Piper has hidden within it
Dave Laroche
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a read that gathers you up as part of the yarn and as a cohort of Jake’s, the almost-fifteen year old protagonist. A story for young adults as well as old fogies, it's an exciting adventure of twists and turns, tension and conflict with an allegorical suggestion regarding our current sociological state of affairs.

Piper provides us a vivid view of our world today, both through the eyes of its younger characters and those of a wizened if wise old coot named Ben. Piper has a polished insigh
SWin
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Storytelling!

Fifteen-year-old Jake Parker stumbles across an old ship's lantern in a secret room in an old abandoned house. Later, he discovers the lantern has the magical power to grant three wishes. The first wish he makes by accident, the second one is caught on camera by a television news crew and, subsequently, seen by viewers around the world. From that moment on, Jake's quiet life rips into overdrive.

You Wish is a page-turner that'll make you wish for more.
Julia Robb
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this charming, and original, "coming of age" novel, which is crossed with satire of 2019 American culture. Jake is given a magic lantern and his last wish becomes the focus of national attention. I won't tell you what he wished for, but I will tell you it's worth reading the book to find out the answer. Good going, Mark Scott Piper.
Pete Sheppard
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good Story, Great Writing!
There’s a lot to like about this novel. What struck me most was how familiar the whole teenage viewpoint felt as I read this book and relived my own teen years, so full of uncertainty, self-doubt, big dreams and great memories. From the start, Mr. Piper paints a believable portrait of our hero, Jake Parker, as he struggles as a baseball player, endures undersized nerdism, navigates a parental split, yet still manages to be likable and a great friend to his sidekick, Les
Patrick Brown
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Approaching the review of “You Wish” by Mark Scott Piper, I considered the quality of the writing first. I’m happy to report that the characters were well-developed, the plot solid with the capacity to hold the reader’s interest, no noticeable grammar or syntax errors, and only a sprinkling of one or two typos—rather amazing for an indie author. If I had one minor complaint, I would suggest the dialogue was slightly overcooked at times and didn’t flow naturally, yet at other times it was spot on ...more
Lynne Hinkey
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of "You Wish" takes the fantasy we've all had and the fodder for many a dreamy discussion: If you had three wishes, what would you wish for?" and brings it to life for 14-year-old Jake Parker, who quickly discovers the reality is not nearly as fun as the speculation. Then, with one wish left, the world finds out about Jake's magic lantern and the pressure intensifies. This is a fun cautionary tale with lots of action and adventure reminiscent of the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Th ...more
Christina Hagmann
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You Wish by Mark Scott Piper was a uniquely modern take on the genie granting three wishes story. Jake, a normal teen with normal teen problems, finds an old ship lamp in a rundown home and rubs it, giving him three wishes and sparking a media and national frenzy. The trouble that follows rings true in Piper’s debut novel. With engaging dialogue and an interesting peek into the life of a modern teenager, this book will leave you wondering what you would do with your three wishes.
Jennifer Shepard
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story, From the beginning to the end!
Sherry Buff
is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2019

• Reaper: A Horror Novella
  • Bizarre
  • Birth of a Vixen  (Shadow Faith, #1)
  • Seventh (The Seventh Wave Book 1)
  • Shadowblade: Book 1 - The Beginning
  • Kit's Rebellion
  • Your Soul's Gift: The Healing Power of the Life You Planned Before You Were Born
  • Broken (Warwick Cooper Thrillers Book 1)
  • Dead After Midnight (Book #1)
  • In the Realm of Ash and Sorrow
  • The Trouble with Paradise (Madeline Dawkins Mysteries Book 4)
  • Kinnara
  • Wild Willful Heart
  • The Swan Keeper
  • Weeds Beneath the Open Meadows
  • Seed of Evil: An Ancient Evil Rises (Saga of Evil, #1)
  • Scottish Alliance
  • Background Noise
Mark Scott Piper has been writing professionally his entire adult life. He is a longtime freelance writer and video director/producer. Mark holds a PhD in English from the University of Oregon, and he taught literature and writing at the college level for several years. He is a member of the California Writers Club, Redwood Writers.

His debut novel, You Wish, is the 2019 American Eagle Book Awards