Start by marking “Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth” as Want to Read:

Big Oil and Gas Versus Democracy—Winner Take All

Rachel Maddow’s Blowout offers a dark, serpentine, riveting tour of the unimaginably lucrative and corrupt oil-and-gas industry. With her trademark black humor, Maddow takes us on a switchback journey around the globe—from
Published October 1st 2019 by Crown

Start your review of Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
Jimmie
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re a regular viewer of her show (or, like me, a regular listener to her podcast) you’re aware that Rachel’s stories come with EXHAUSTIVE background, preambles, and prefatory material. But, if you’re a regular viewer of her show, you know the windup is worth it. This book takes a little while to get off the ground, but eventually it soars.
Sahitya
I’ve had this book on my TBR since the day it was announced and none of my excitement diminished when I was rejected for the ARC. It only meant I had to wait for the release day and I’m glad I did, because now I got the opportunity to both read the book and listen to the audiobook narrated by Rachel herself, which was an absolutely riveting experience.

If you have read any of my reviews before, particularly the non fiction ones, you know I’m fairly liberal, so it should not come as a surprise
Sue
Well, this has been quite a reading experience: a sequence of “aha” and “I remember that” moments followed by my absorbing the deeper meaning behind a news story or legislative moment that occurred sometime within the past several years. As a news junkie since childhood, I knew something about most of the subjects that Maddow covers in her over-arching view of the oil industry at work throughout the world. Even my most pessimistic self would not have imagined the inner workings of the U.S. ...more
Dorie
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blowout! :Corrupted Democracy, Rouge State Russia, and The Richest, Most Destructuve Industry on Earth
by Rachel Maddow
due 10-1-2019
Crown
5.0/5.0

#netgalley. #Blowout

What the Frack is going on with the oil and gas industry? How did we, as a Democratic country, get to this point? Regardless of age, sex, race, religion, political beliefs, etc., how did we become dependent on a global industry built on corruption, greed and incompetence?
Rachel Maddow brings it all together and makes this complicated
Suanne Laqueur
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One million stars. I listened to the audible version and it was like Rachel telling me secrets. Especially the sections about Harold Hamm's divorce case. Hamm's wife's name is Sue Ann. And so I got to hear Rachel say my name over and over and over and... Sorry, where was I?

Besides her bottomless well of knowledge, impeccable explanations, dry wit and incomparable expertise in weaving all the parts together, you get to hear Rachel curse (which I wish she would do on air, but I'm weird like that.)
Nancy
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I thought I should read Blowout by Rachel Maddow. Should being the giveaway word to my motivation. Instead of a dose of medicine that's good for me but hard to swallow, it was a terrifying funhouse ride that totally engaged my attention! Maddow weaves together a narrative of how we 'got to here' that illumines the present.

Maddow lays out the oil industry's history from Standard Oil to fracking to Putin's dream of Russia becoming the world's fuel provider to trolls on Facebook disseminating
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
When I finished Blowout by Rachel Maddow, I had to wash all the residual oil slick off my skin. The book is just that immersive in the oil industry. Not to mention a different kind of Kremlin-based, Putin-esque oiliness. Wow, this book contains nothing less than a gusher of information.

Blowout is sub-titled Corrupt Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth. I started it hoping to better understand the messy state of 2019 politics. I got that, and then
Bettie

The dedication...

Blowout book tour dates and locations announced!: Rachel Maddow alerts viewers that book tour dates in connection with her forthcoming book, "Blowout," have officially been announced, with tickets available through links at MSNBC.com/BlowoutTour.

Coming October 2019: Blowout
Description: Big Oil and Gas Versus Democracy—Winner Take All: Rachel Maddow’s Blowout offers a dark, serpentine, riveting tour of the unimaginably lucrative and corrupt oil-and-gas industry. With her
Beth
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are few people that can take a complicated subject, woven through with various *other* subjects seemingly at random, and make them ALL make sense. Rachel Maddow is one of those few. I bought this as soon as we got a copy in the store, and finished it last night. What I read made my head spin - not from confusion, but from frustration and anger at seeing just one more way that the oil and gas industry have ruined so much of the global world. Now, don't get me wrong - they have been ...more
John Hatley
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This amazing and brilliant book gets five stars from me. I'm not normally known for reading non-fiction--especially current events usually make me furious--but I can highly recommend this book for anyone who is interested in returning a minimum of democracy to democratic governments and breaking the strangle-hold of big industry, not just the oil and gas industry, on governments east and west. Very well researched and, as one might expect from Rachel Maddow, she manages also to spice the book ...more
Donna Hines
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
As with anything these days this novel is all about corporate and individual greed. The greed that warrants full power and full wealth under the disguise of saving others or helping the environment move towards the future goals.
From Oklahoma to NW Pennsylvania and beyond Rachel tackles the truth in a powerful and dynamic fashion that will leave no stone literally and figuratively not turned.
"Play on emotions; the bigger the lie, the better; lies should be reported many times."
These lies are what
Chelsey
May 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-audiobook
checked mid-announcement and this wasn’t here. checked two seconds into O’Donnell and here we are. good job friends
Claudia
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Rachel Maddow, I wanted to give this book a try, however I found this book frankly a little boring, It just didn't keep my attention
Phil
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly researched book by one of the smartest and best journalist we have. Maddow’s signature ability to pull seemingly disparate facts together to form a cohesive and compelling whole is fully on display.

If you ever watch her, you know that she builds thread-by-thread until the final intersecting payoff. So it is here. The history of oil and fracking, the rise of Putin and his energy state, the invasion of Ukraine, the Exxon-Mobil investments, Tillerson . . . the 'corrupted democracy and
HeatherP
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I watch Rachel's show anytime I can. She has this way about her that when she explains something, she gives all of the information, and she delivers it a way that is easy to understand. I picked this book to read, not only because it is by her, but because I want to learn more about Russia, the 2016 election, and everything in between.

A good chunk of this book is about the gas and oil industry, and how it rules over our politics. I knew some about this, but now I'm blown away by how much I did
Elise Musicant
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book was very interesting, but the problem I had through it all was that I couldn’t figure out what it was about. Was it about corruption in the oil industry? How Russia devolved into the country it is today? How oil affects politics? There were a lot of interesting threads in this book, and they all tied together, but it felt like the writer was trying to tell too many stories.

I could tell this book was well researched. It was dense, however, with very long paragraphs. I found I had to
Claudia
OK -- yes, I am a Maddow fan. I love her snark, but am in awe of her research capabilities, and the ability to connect stories that seem to be unrelated into a whole. That's what I got here...and I read the audible, so she READ IT TO ME.

The GR preview calls the book 'switchbacks', and that's just what it is...she begins one story, seemingly leaves it to pick up another, related, story, and then, BAM! brings both threads together.

Oil and gas dominate my state of Oklahoma, so her chapters about
Holly
Oil and gas are valuable everywhere in the world, but with only a few exceptions the industry that produces them has shaped nations and states in ways that serve itself while screwing pretty much everybody else. As if its life depended on it, the industry has argued that it needs government off its back, it needs freedom and space to operate as it sees fit, and only the industry itself has the technological know-how to set the boundaries and expectations for how it behaves. And yes, energy
Susan Stuber
No wonder this book almost killed you, Rachel. How you were able to do the research for this book, much less put it together with such brilliance in your regular causticly humorous style, and at the same time manage to carry on with your regular TV program, is beyond me.

But let this one citizen and faithful follower thank you. Who knows, as this present crisis careens towards a hairpin curve, if your book will make any difference in the end. Who will come unscathed out of the wreckage? For
Betsy
[27 October 2019]
This is an interesting presentation of the recent history of the oil and gas industry in the U.S. and around the world. Maddow does history by telling a series of related stories, making the history very vivid. But Maddow is not really a historian, she's a news analyst and commentator and she's not afraid to insert her opinion into her commentary. So this is also a polemic, a scathing indictment of the industry and the harm it has caused. It's not particularly about climate
Jeimy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Maddow. I devoured her first book, but this one was not as cohesive. However, I know that what I love most about Maddow is listening to her delivery which is why I was able to breeze through the book once the audiobook was out. Listening to The author talk about Russia, Exxon, and homegrown millionaires in Oklahoma allowed me to focus on the stories she was telling in each chapter instead of expecting a specific thread (other than petroleum) that tied all the stories together.
Susan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are like me you never thought about the gas/oil industry. The only time I have a connection with gas is pumping gas into my car. I never give it another thought. It's a shame because we should think about the oil/gas companies' accountability and corruption that goes on here in the United States, but also abroad(Russia).

I have been anticipating the book, Blowout by Rachel for months since I heard about it. The book is timely after we learned what is going on between the US President, and
Gerry
An examination of the oil and gas industry’s stranglehold on our government, and the environmental, economic, and political impact of the industry’s greedy and single-minded focus on corporate profit, regardless of the cost to others. I listened to the audiobook, read by the author, and found it well researched and quite persuasive. I do find Maddow’s sarcasm a bit much at times, and dropped my rating from 5 to 4 stars for that reason.
Jamie Voorhies
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I eat this stuff up. Scares the shit out of me!
Michael
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
In which Ms. Maddow describes "the Resource Curse" and how, throughout history and currently, the resource extraction industries have corrupted governments, enabled autocrats and wreaked havoc on the environment. ExxonMobil and its CEO Rex Tillerson, Vladimir Putin and the late Chesapeake Energy CEO Aubrey McClendon are featured prominently throughout. A fascinating read that will engage, surprise and, ultimately, anger the reader.
Edwin Howard
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The history of the oil and gas industry and how it has permeated politics, trade relations and more is chronicled in BLOWOUT, by Rachel Maddow. Maddow starts with Rockefeller and the beginning of the oil industry and continues through the beginning of the Trump administration. Maddow covers the environmental impacts of the industry, the greed and narcissistic dominance that breeds from oil and gas, and the political highs and lows that have crossed paths with desire to be master of oil and gas.
Karen
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read. Prior to reading Blowout, I was unaware that Russia was so dependent upon its oil & gas industry. I also didn't realize the severity of our (U.S.) domestic issues related to the oil & gas industry, and those passages were eye-opening.

Like Maddow's nightly cable show, Blowout meandered a bit on the way to its conclusion. Along the way, I wasn't always sure how the pieces fit together. By the conclusion, I got the point loud and clear.

Recommended.
Gloria
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an eARC of this book.

Rachel Maddow does not disappoint. This book goes after the oil and gas industry. It goes into details about the industry going from fracking and how they do it and what it does to the political intrigue in both the US and Russia. Sometimes there are almost too many details that become tedious but I could not stop reading. Revelations that were, to me, amazing. Everyone should read this book.
Heather Bennett
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blowout is a fabulous and engrossing book. Rachel Maddow has written a fantastic book. A must read for the year.
Jill
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a non-fiction account of insatiable greed on the part of a particular segment of self-serving, uncaring people drunk on money and power, who work directly in, or benefit indirectly from, the oil and gas industry. It demonstrates how this industry fuels politics around the world, and has played a surprising role in attempts by Vladimir Putin to sow discord in the West and control Washington.

Rachel Maddow, known from her news show on MSNBC, is more than a media pundit: she received her
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Time After Time
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • 29 Seconds
  • Nothing Ventured
  • Yale Needs Women
  • Frankissstein: A Love Story
  • The Summer Country
  • An Irish Country Christmas (Irish Country #3)
  • What Rose Forgot
  • The Perfect Date
  • Almost Midnight (Mike Bowditch, #10)
  • The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir
  • The Day You Begin
  • エスケープジャーニー 1 [Escape Journey 1]
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • His Secret Family: An absolutely emotional page turner
  • Wilma's Way Home: The Life of Wilma Mankiller
  • Their Last Breath
Rachel Maddow is host of the Emmy Award–winning Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC, as well as the author of Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power, a #1 New York Times bestseller. Maddow received a bachelor’s degree in public policy from Stanford University and earned her doctorate in political science at Oxford University. She lives in New York City and Massachusetts with her partner, artist ...more
“Standard DNA is shot through the oil industry, as are Standard’s dominant traits: a penchant for pinching pennies, an eagerness to devour and expand, a mistrust and even hatred of government regulation, a vaguely delusional sense of higher calling, and a wary respect for innovation. Worth keeping these traits in mind, because they’ve gone on to shape the modern world. They still function as a character sketch—or maybe a psychological profile—of the richest, most powerful, and most destructive industry on the globe.” 2 likes
“We can see how many of the Euro-Atlantic countries are actually rejecting their roots, including the Christian values that constitute the basis of Western civilization. They are denying moral principles and all traditional identities: national, cultural, religious and even sexual. They are implementing policies” 2 likes