Start by marking “She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement” as Want to Read:
She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement

She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  12,962 ratings  ·  1,599 reviews
From the Pulitzer Prize-winning reporters who broke the news of Harvey Weinstein's sexual harassment and abuse for the New York Times, Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, the thrilling untold story of their investigation and its consequences for the #MeToo movement

For many years, reporters had tried to get to the truth about Harvey Weinstein's treatment of women. Rumors of
Published September 10th 2019 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about She Said, please sign up.
Christine (Queen of Books) I have. I think the books work well together, but are different enough to warrant reading both.

To me, She Said is about women - about Kantor and…more

To me, She Said is about women - about Kantor and Twohey reaching out to them, encouraging them to tell their stories, and then them ultimately coming together and doing just that. Catch and Kill, I think, is more about power and influence with respect to news - what allows predators to continue their behavior? In that sense I think the titles do a great job of giving you an idea as to the focus of the books. Hope this helps.(less)

·  12,962 ratings  ·  1,599 reviews

Start your review of She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
Lex Kent
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I really am a fiction girl, but every once in a while a true story or biography will catch my attention. She Said, is written by the two women NYT reporters that helped to take Harvey Weinstein down and poured gasoline on the #Me Too movement. This is the inside story of all the witnesses, sexual assault survivors, and enablers of Weinstein. Since this was one of the biggest stories of the decade, I thought it was important enough to take the time to read.

I want to mention the big stars first.
Alok Mishra
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a brave book - no doubt. This is a timely book aptly extended to the public. It certainly inspires the readers by letting them learn that how breaking the silence and pointing the finger at a pervert can be the best thing to do - when there is nothing else to be done. However, from a neutral perspective, the perspective of a reader, the book is written in a wayward manner that can pull the inappropriate strings of boredom at times. I think only the readers who can cope with an ...more
Sahitya
I will not presume to be in any way capable of reviewing this brilliant book because it’s an extremely well written true account of the investigation and brings to light some systemic truths that we probably are well aware of, but haven’t seen discussed openly a lot. Instead, I think I’ll just share how I felt while reading it.

I’ve only lived in the US for less than a decade now and while I have a seen a Hollywood movie or two since childhood, I’ve never been much knowledgeable about the
Elyse  Walters
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook...read by the two co-authors, Jodi Kantor, Megan Twohey and Rebecca Lowman. (known herself in the Audiobook world).

This professional memoir reads like a true crime thriller... with outstanding top-notch-in-depth-investigating and reporting.

How does an Hollywood ‘outsider’ get Angelina Jolie‘s phone number? Fascinating explosive details of the unfolding of the biggest sexual scandal in Hollywood.

Isn’t it just a ‘little’ tempting to except $100,000 a month to keep quiet?

The two New
Tatiana
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
I thought I understood how high the risks were for women to stand up publicly against their powerful abusers. But I didn't, really.

A must read for every person who responded to an accusation by a woman with a question "But why didn't she go to the police right away?"
Gabby
This was incredible. I listened to the audiobook and it was really hard to listen to at times, but it was also so informative about the start of the #MeToo movement, and I want to punch Harvey Weinstein and Brett Kavanaugh in the face.
Tessa
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have slightly mixed feelings about “She Said,” not due to the subject matter or message, but just with the way the book is formatted. The Weinstein investigation section, which takes up the bulk of the book, is thrilling, an account of investigative journalism at its finest. Secret meetings with sources, computer systems meant to keep developing stories accessible to only a handful of writers and editors, the delicate phrasing needed to get a source to talk or to go on record, the difficult ...more
Kathleen
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kantor and Twohey are the two New York Times investigative reporters that broke the story about Harvey Weinstein’s habitual sexual harassment towards women. [More than 80 women have come forward to-date.] The two journalists had to wade through a flood of bullying tactics Weinstein used to keep these women’s stories silent for so long. Weinstein used his wealth to hire top-tier attorneys to craft airtight confidentiality agreements that his accusers had to sign in order to receive compensation. ...more
Corina
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Ever since publication on September 10th 2019 I’ve seen SHE SAID all over Bookstagram, and later that year it was a Best Nonfiction nominee at the GR choice awards. Moreover every review I read so far has been glowing, and ended with “You have to read this book!”.

Following the news, the topic of She Said was known to me. I’ve seen daily news articles about Weinstein in the last quarter of 2017. There was no escaping him. BUT I had no idea about everything that came before the article, and how
Mara
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned, audio
For those wondering if you should read both this book and CATCH AND KILL, I would say the answer is yes. While CAK is more focused on the drama of the reporting, this incorporates the story of getting the story within the broader context of how the Weinstein reporting fit into the cultural moment that allowed it to kick "me too" into high gear. This account also has a lot more build out of the Weinstein organization & detailing how his predation was a part of toxic pattern within a ...more
Julie Christine
I devoured this in a day. No matter how familiar the headlines, the journey of a news story from idea, rumor, tip, to the front page is fascinating, particularly when that headline launches one of the biggest sociopolitical movements of the decade. My race to the finish of She Saidmade me think of how much I love watching All The President's Men. I never tire of that movie. It doesn't matter that you know the ending— not just to the movie, but all these years later, the political legacy left by ...more
Candie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! The writing is amazing, filled with so many details but it still flows great and is very readable. You can definitely tell it is written by two professional journalists.

This book made me so angry and just breaks my heart how so many people knew about some of these things and it still went on for so many years, and happened to so many women. These men are disgusting. And even after they came forward how can so many people actually blame the women? I can't even comprehend how this
Malia
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a truly gripping book about the origins of the Me Too movement and in particular, the way a small team of dedicated journalists uncovered the Harvey Weinstein abuse scandal. Of course, much of this has already been in the media, but the behind-the-scenes look at how the story came together, the work and time and emotional tribulations that went into it make it an absolutely worthwhile read. Recommended!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Marion
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I read it in one sitting. Ultimately it was unbelievable, all too real, enraging, and hopeful. Highly recommended for those who have been following the #metoo movement.
Stacy
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend
Suzanne
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A powerful memoir about Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey’s wall breaking sexual harassment coverage that is so gripping and informative readers will have trouble putting it down. It is so empowering and I am so glad that I read it. This is a subject matter that may be a trigger but needs to be discussed and handled regardless. I highly recommend this book to both females and males.
BookOfCinz
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book deserves to be read. Jodi and Megan did such an amazing job of telling a story that will you leave you enraged and vindicated. I strongly recommend you give it a read.
Robert Sheard
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea a story about the research leading to a newspaper story could be as compelling, suspenseful, and powerful as this book has been. I can't tell you the number of times it made me furious about our society, and especially our elected "leaders." (We currently have a president and two Supreme Court justices who come with a history of sexual harassment and/or assault allegations?) This is essential reading.
Laura Noggle
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Definitely liked this one more than Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill, but still ... perhaps a tad bloated. Was kind of surprised that the end of the book had such extensive coverage on Christine Blasey Ford.

Extremely well-researched and documented.

"The United States had a system for muting sexual harassment claims, which often enabled the harassers instead of stopping them. Women routinely signed away the right to talk about their own experiences. Harassers often continued onward, finding fresh
Jaclyn Crupi
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I devoured this in a single sitting. I love a good investigative journalism breaking story story and this really delivered. Seeing the extent of Weinstein’s power and reach and his willingness to do anything to silence these women all come tumbling down is pretty satisfying. This book was less successful in the Christine Blasey Ford sections and perhaps should have focussed solely on Weinstein’s accusers.
Jessica
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for investigative journalism stories, so I was prepared to like this book. However, I didn't realize how much it would hit me emotionally. I mean, I knew the outcome of the New York Times reporters' diligent research and subsequent charges against Weinstein, I had read every article and followed the story and movement (partaking in the hashtag like many women did)—but it's still a book full of tension that had me turning its pages rapidly. This is the craft of true journalism and ...more
Miss Marple
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a thoroughly fascinating read. Maybe it's because I'm a journalist myself, but I find that the steps towards breaking a story are often as interesting or even more than the story itself. People usually read the finished product, and can't even imagine how much work and effort comes before, especially in such a sensitive and revealing matter as the years of sexual harassment committed by Harvey Weinstein.

Most of what is told here about Harvey Weinstein himself is well known by now, as
Laura Mcgee
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could NOT put this book down. It’s absolutely fascinating, reading about the investigation that finally led to Harvey Weinstein being held accountable. The authors (the same heroines who did the reporting for The NY Times story on Weinstein) manage to explain their story in incredible, page turning detail, but they then move into the larger issue of the #metoo era, and finally, to Brett Kavanaugh.
I highly recommend everyone read this book, it has certainly given me a good deal to think about.
Simon Pressinger
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just days before the Times published the October 2017 article that would change the world, Harvey Weinstein was reported lying to a magazine saying he knew nothing about the allegations (he’d known for months and was deeply involved). He also said something ironically very true: that this story would make a great movie. It would. It really is like an All the President’s Men for the 21st Century.

It’s amazing how the story pans out, what unbelievable things come to the surface, the relentless
John
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fully prepared to give this 5 stars and declare it my non-fiction book of the year. Had it ended at 184 pages, I would absolutely be doing that. I'll explain.

First, you should know that the book is 422 pages long, but nearly 160 of those pages are notes (thus, putting to rest all the comments on book review forums claiming this to be a baseless cash grab), an index, and acknowledgements. That leaves 265 pages for actual prose.

The first 184 pages detail two young journalists from the NY
Laura Tremaine
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such an important book. I almost didn’t get this one, because I followed the Harvey Weinstein story and the unfolding #MeToo movement pretty closely, and thought it would be a rehash if those things. But my friend Yasmin mentioned that we should support these books and this journalism with our dollars, even if we didn’t read every word. I agreed, and ultimately ended up listening to the audio book and I’m so glad I did.

Because I didn’t know (or remember) exactly how this story went
Jennie
Nothing I like better than a good investigative reporting story, especially about a topic I follow fairly closely. I tore through this. The writing was very good, both in clarity and structure. A must read for anyone interested in Me Too or journalism. WaPo called it "an instant classic of investigative journalism" and they are not wrong.

Content warnings for discussions of sexual assault and harassment
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My buddy Elyse said in her review that “this memoir reads like a true crime thriller” & it’s so 100% true that I don’t even know what else to say! So interesting.. & I couldn’t wait to see what happened next. Sad (& disturbing) that “this” is real life, but at least we have strong women (& their supporters) constantly fighting.. Great book, I would totally recommend it even if memoirs aren’t usually your thing.
Neville Longbottom
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, nonfiction
4.5 - In October of 2017, Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey at The New York Times were the first to break the story about Harvey Weinstein’s harassment of women and his trail of secret settlements to keep the women silent. This book follows how they investigated the story, found sources and convinced them to go on the record, and what lengths Weinstein went to in order to try and stop the story. Later on the book pivots away from the Weinstein story to more broadly cover the #MeToo movement, ...more
britt_brooke
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Two NYT journalists expose the institutional masking of Harvey Weinstein’s abhorrent behavior. Twohey and Kantor show the journalistic side and the immense difficulties in brining down a powerful predator. This is a good read, but I don’t think the Blasey Ford bit was needed. And if you’re going to read just one Weinstein-focused book, Catch and Kill reads easier and is less clunky, but I do recommend both. McGowan’s is decent, too.

• Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001
  • In the Dream House
  • Nothing to See Here
  • The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
Jodi Kantor has covered the world of Barack and Michelle Obama since the beginning of 2007, also writing about Hillary Clinton, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Richard Holbrooke, Eric Holder and many others along the way.

Ms. Kantor graduated from Columbia and attended Harvard Law School. But soon after she arrived, she caught the journalism bug, took time off to work at Slate.com, and never looked back.
“Jodi cut to the point: The United States had a system for muting sexual harassment claims, which often enabled the harassers instead of stopping them. Women routinely signed away the right to talk about their own experiences. Harassers often continued onward, finding fresh ground on which to commit the same offenses. The settlements and confidentiality agreements were almost never examined in law school classrooms or open court. This was why the public had never really understood that this was happening. Even those in the room with long histories of covering gender issues had never fully registered what was going on.” 3 likes
“There isn't ever going to be an end," she said. "The point is that people have to continue always speaking up. And not being afraid.” 0 likes