Start by marking “She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement” as Want to Read:
She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement

She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  32,196 ratings  ·  3,356 reviews
For many years, reporters had tried to get to the truth about Harvey Weinstein’s treatment of women. Rumors of wrongdoing had long circulated. But in 2017, when Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey began their investigation into the prominent Hollywood producer for the New York Times, his name was still synonymous with power. During months of confidential interviews with top actre ...more
Published September 10th 2019 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about She Said, please sign up.
Christine (Queen of Books) I have. I think the books work well together, but are different enough to warrant reading both.

To me, She Said is about women - about Kantor and Twohe…more

To me, She Said is about women - about Kantor and Twohey reaching out to them, encouraging them to tell their stories, and then them ultimately coming together and doing just that. Catch and Kill, I think, is more about power and influence with respect to news - what allows predators to continue their behavior? In that sense I think the titles do a great job of giving you an idea as to the focus of the books. Hope this helps.(less)
Avid I listened to both unabridged audio books. They deal with the same basic reporting in two different ways. Farrow’s book is weighty, too long, and much…moreI listened to both unabridged audio books. They deal with the same basic reporting in two different ways. Farrow’s book is weighty, too long, and much harder to follow. I struggled to have sympathy for the players because the writing style is dry and sort of textbook-y. It was also all over the place in its focus. SheSaid was a much more appealing and compassionate read for me. It was clear who the players were, what their motivations were, exactly what went down. It followed a linear path and didn’t get bogged down or sidetracked at all. I didn’t find much duplication between the two because Farrow wanted to tell me about his reporting, while Kantor and Twohey really seemed to want to tell me the victims’ stories. IMO, you can safely skip catch & kill. (less)

·  32,196 ratings  ·  3,356 reviews

Start your review of She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
Mario the lone bookwolf
Downplaying very serious topics, ignoring the protests of half of the population, and educating girls to be silent, obedient, and submissive possibly isn´t what so called emancipated democracies should stand for in the 21st century.

Everyone forgets history and repeats it, any kind of social movements, anti slavery, women's rights, gay rights,… have been ridiculed with stupid, inhumane, conservative arguments, and it´s the same with race, gender, and all kinds of structural violence nowadays. It´
Lex Kent
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I really am a fiction girl, but every once in a while a true story or biography will catch my attention. She Said, is written by the two women NYT reporters that helped to take Harvey Weinstein down and poured gasoline on the #Me Too movement. This is the inside story of all the witnesses, sexual assault survivors, and enablers of Weinstein. Since this was one of the biggest stories of the decade, I thought it was important enough to take the time to read.

I want to mention the big stars first.
Alok Mishra
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a brave book - no doubt. This is a timely book aptly extended to the public. It certainly inspires the readers by letting them learn that how breaking the silence and pointing the finger at a pervert can be the best thing to do - when there is nothing else to be done. However, from a neutral perspective, the perspective of a reader, the book is written in a wayward manner that can pull the inappropriate strings of boredom at times. I think only the readers who can cope with an intellectu ...more
Sahitya
I will not presume to be in any way capable of reviewing this brilliant book because it’s an extremely well written true account of the investigation and brings to light some systemic truths that we probably are well aware of, but haven’t seen discussed openly a lot. Instead, I think I’ll just share how I felt while reading it.

I’ve only lived in the US for less than a decade now and while I have a seen a Hollywood movie or two since childhood, I’ve never been much knowledgeable about the industr
Tessa
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have slightly mixed feelings about “She Said,” not due to the subject matter or message, but just with the way the book is formatted. The Weinstein investigation section, which takes up the bulk of the book, is thrilling, an account of investigative journalism at its finest. Secret meetings with sources, computer systems meant to keep developing stories accessible to only a handful of writers and editors, the delicate phrasing needed to get a source to talk or to go on record, the difficult ch ...more
Kat
This book retells the complicated journey Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, reporters for the New York Times, took as they attempted to get the story about Harvey Weinstein's abuses of actresses and female employees, both verbal and sexual, many of which dated back decades. It also deals with the ensuing #MeToo movement, and the impact of it on Christine Blasey Ford's testimony against Brett Kavanaugh, as he was being considered for the Supreme Court.

I think books like this offer really important in
Nicole
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2021
A powerful book indeed! I only heard about it recently (I missed lots of 2019 releases) and I knew I had to read it.

It was eye-opening. Like everyone, I have heard of the Me Too movement and read about what was happening but to read all of this about a single famous person, is also different. How men in the Hollywood industry abused their power and got away with it. For decades. Especially someone like Harvey Weinstein. It was interesting to read about what was going on behind the scenes. It's a
Tatiana
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction
I thought I understood how high the risks were for women to stand up publicly against their powerful abusers. But I didn't, really.

A must read for every person who responded to an accusation by a woman with a question "But why didn't she go to the police right away?"
Gabby
This was incredible. I listened to the audiobook and it was really hard to listen to at times, but it was also so informative about the start of the #MeToo movement, and I want to punch Harvey Weinstein and Brett Kavanaugh in the face.
Elyse Walters
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook...read by the two co-authors, Jodi Kantor, Megan Twohey and Rebecca Lowman. (known herself in the Audiobook world).

This professional memoir reads like a true crime thriller... with outstanding top-notch-in-depth-investigating and reporting.

How does an Hollywood ‘outsider’ get Angelina Jolie‘s phone number? Fascinating explosive details of the unfolding of the biggest sexual scandal in Hollywood.

Isn’t it just a ‘little’ tempting to except $100,000 a month to keep quiet?

The two New Y
Rachel Reads Ravenously
She Said is the story of the two reporters who investigated Harvey Weinstein and the search for victims of his abuse to state on the record what happened to them. Once their article was published, it launched a movement for women all over the world to come forward with their own stories of abuse. And following all of this was the testimony of allegations during the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

I had already read the book Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow and meant to read t
Henk
Jul 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The arrogance of those in power exposed in a pageturner on the journalism that brought to light the Harvey Weinstein abuse cases. Almost thriller like at times and an absorbing read.
“There isn't ever going to be an end," she said. "The point is that people have to continue always speaking up. And not being afraid.”

An engaging read that gives you the feeling of watching over the shoulders of the journalists.

The first part is so much stronger than the second part, if She Said: Breaking the Sexual
Kelli
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I listened to this book even though I had the hardcopy from my library. The audio was perfection and expertly read, but I had to change the edition in order to display this cover with the red S and all other letters in black. I didn't see that cover until after I finished the book (on mine all the letters were red). That cover gives me chills. It's brilliant...simultaneously subtle and lurid. I can't look away.

This book is everything: a salute to the truthtellers; a long-overdue spotlight on tho
Mara
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned, audio
For those wondering if you should read both this book and CATCH AND KILL, I would say the answer is yes. While CAK is more focused on the drama of the reporting, this incorporates the story of getting the story within the broader context of how the Weinstein reporting fit into the cultural moment that allowed it to kick "me too" into high gear. This account also has a lot more build out of the Weinstein organization & detailing how his predation was a part of toxic pattern within a corporation w ...more
Paul Bryant
This is a strange book. The two authors spent weeks and months putting a huge story together about Harvey Weinstein but it was tough to get any women to speak out, almost all of his victims were silenced by non-disclosure agreements, which were so restrictive that one woman’s husband had never heard of his wife’s problem with Harvey until our two reporters came calling. Now, after the first big story, dozens of other victims immediately surfaced. It became bitterly ironic. After scouring the cou ...more
Kathleen
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kantor and Twohey are the two New York Times investigative reporters that broke the story about Harvey Weinstein’s habitual sexual harassment towards women. [More than 80 women have come forward to-date.] The two journalists had to wade through a flood of bullying tactics Weinstein used to keep these women’s stories silent for so long. Weinstein used his wealth to hire top-tier attorneys to craft airtight confidentiality agreements that his accusers had to sign in order to receive compensation. ...more
Corina
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Ever since reading Bad Blood and watching Spotlight I have been in awe of great journalism. She Said was a wonderful addition, and a must read book, especially since, like Bad Blood, the article that started it all, was only recently published, October 5th 2017. Interestingly enough, there was another journalist that worked on the same topic, Ronan Farrow, who wrote for The New Yorker, and published his article a few days later, on October 10th 2017. I haven’t read his article yet, but I’m inten ...more
Julie
I devoured this in a day. No matter how familiar the headlines, the journey of a news story from idea, rumor, tip, to the front page is fascinating, particularly when that headline launches one of the biggest sociopolitical movements of the decade. My race to the finish of She Saidmade me think of how much I love watching All The President's Men. I never tire of that movie. It doesn't matter that you know the ending— not just to the movie, but all these years later, the political legacy left by ...more
Jim C
Sep 07, 2022 rated it liked it
This book is written by the two reporters who broke the sexual misconduct story of Harvey Weinstein. This book is mainly about that investigation.

The Goodreads blurb says this book is about the investigation of Harvey Weinstein and his sexual harassment of female employees. That is not entirely true. The majority of this book is about that and I found that part to be fascinating. It was an incredible look and a detailed look at what these reporters faced and what the victims had to go through. T
Natasha Niezgoda
IMPORTANT

I read a lot of nonfiction/true crime/social movements books. But there are VERY FEW that I can say “yeah, that happened to me” to. She Said is a different story. It was an eerily relatable story. And at times, it was my story.

It’s taken me a while to write this review because of how much it stirred up raw emotion. How much it made me mad at young Natasha for not knowing how to assert the word “NO”. How much I excused because I was “female”.

And thank god I’m not that same young girl.

Q
Monica
Excellent and compelling. mtc

4.5 Stars

Listened to the audiobook. The narration by Rebecca Lowman was excellent. Both authors contributed to the narration in the introduction and epilogue.
Candie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! The writing is amazing, filled with so many details but it still flows great and is very readable. You can definitely tell it is written by two professional journalists.

This book made me so angry and just breaks my heart how so many people knew about some of these things and it still went on for so many years, and happened to so many women. These men are disgusting. And even after they came forward how can so many people actually blame the women? I can't even comprehend how this play
John
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fully prepared to give this 5 stars and declare it my non-fiction book of the year. Had it ended at 184 pages, I would absolutely be doing that. I'll explain.

First, you should know that the book is 422 pages long, but nearly 160 of those pages are notes (thus, putting to rest all the comments on book review forums claiming this to be a baseless cash grab), an index, and acknowledgements. That leaves 265 pages for actual prose.

The first 184 pages detail two young journalists from the NY Tim
Malia
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a truly gripping book about the origins of the Me Too movement and in particular, the way a small team of dedicated journalists uncovered the Harvey Weinstein abuse scandal. Of course, much of this has already been in the media, but the behind-the-scenes look at how the story came together, the work and time and emotional tribulations that went into it make it an absolutely worthwhile read. Recommended!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Emmkay
The first part was fascinating, about how the journalist authors pursued the story of Harvey Weinstein's sexual harassment of both actors and workers at his company. The details of the mechanics of the journalism involved were especially interested (e.g. the formal process of obtaining a response from Weinstein, timing considerations, which stories to run with). The view of the impact of civil settlements and accompanying non-disclosure agreements was also thought-provoking. Then the book petere ...more
Jennifer Blankfein
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating what happened behind the scenes during investigations of Trump and his treatment of women, Weinstein and sexual abuse and Christine Blasey Ford’s sexual assault accusation of Brett Kavanaugh. Jodi and Megan are relentless rockstars! Read in one day!
Elizabeth
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
From the embers of lone cries from outspoken activitists and disturbing hotel room encounters implicating Harvey Weinstein, a horrific pattern of sexual predation was unearthed to spark a raging flame. The Me Too movement was founded back in 2006 by Tarana Burke, but it was New York Times journalists Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey who poured the gasoline to ignite the movement in 2017. She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement is an explosive and impactful accoun ...more
Marion
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I read it in one sitting. Ultimately it was unbelievable, all too real, enraging, and hopeful. Highly recommended for those who have been following the #metoo movement.

Update 2/23/20
I am so proud of the women who spoke up in this book and congrats to the reporters who helped reveal the predator and the system who kept him one. I feel like some justice was served. But we still have a long way to go.
Suzzie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A powerful memoir about Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey’s wall breaking sexual harassment coverage that is so gripping and informative readers will have trouble putting it down. It is so empowering and I am so glad that I read it. This is a subject matter that may be a trigger but needs to be discussed and handled regardless. I highly recommend this book to both females and males.
Jessica
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for investigative journalism stories, so I was prepared to like this book. However, I didn't realize how much it would hit me emotionally. I mean, I knew the outcome of the New York Times reporters' diligent research and subsequent charges against Weinstein, I had read every article and followed the story and movement (partaking in the hashtag like many women did)—but it's still a book full of tension that had me turning its pages rapidly. This is the craft of true journalism and th ...more

• Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • The Years That Matter Most: How College Makes or Breaks Us
  • Brave: 50 Everyday Acts of Courage to Thrive in Work, Love, and Life
  • Supreme Ambition: Brett Kavanaugh and the Conservative Takeover
See top shelves…
Jodi Kantor has covered the world of Barack and Michelle Obama since the beginning of 2007, also writing about Hillary Clinton, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Richard Holbrooke, Eric Holder and many others along the way.

Ms. Kantor graduated from Columbia and attended Harvard Law School. But soon after she arrived, she caught the journalism bug, took time off to work at Slate.com, and never looked back.