Start by marking “She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement” as Want to Read:
She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement

She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  23,099 ratings  ·  2,594 reviews
From the Pulitzer-prize winning reporters who broke the news of Harvey Weinstein's sexual harassment and abuse for the New York Times, Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, the thrilling untold story of their investigation and its consequences for the #MeToo movement.

On October 5, 2017, the New York Times published an article by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey--and then the world cha
Published September 10th 2019 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about She Said, please sign up.
Christine (Queen of Books) I have. I think the books work well together, but are different enough to warrant reading both.

To me, She Said is about women - about Kantor and Twohe…more

To me, She Said is about women - about Kantor and Twohey reaching out to them, encouraging them to tell their stories, and then them ultimately coming together and doing just that. Catch and Kill, I think, is more about power and influence with respect to news - what allows predators to continue their behavior? In that sense I think the titles do a great job of giving you an idea as to the focus of the books. Hope this helps.(less)

·  23,099 ratings  ·  2,594 reviews

Start your review of She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
Mario the lone bookwolf (semi reviewing hiatus )
Downplaying very serious topics, ignoring the protests of half of the population, and educating girls to be silent, obedient, and submissive possibly isn´t what so called emancipated democracies should stand for in the 21st century.

Everyone forgets history and repeats it, any kind of social movements, anti slavery, women's rights, gay rights,… have been ridiculed with stupid, inhumane, conservative arguments, and it´s the same with race, gender, and all kinds of structural violence nowadays. It´
Lex Kent
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I really am a fiction girl, but every once in a while a true story or biography will catch my attention. She Said, is written by the two women NYT reporters that helped to take Harvey Weinstein down and poured gasoline on the #Me Too movement. This is the inside story of all the witnesses, sexual assault survivors, and enablers of Weinstein. Since this was one of the biggest stories of the decade, I thought it was important enough to take the time to read.

I want to mention the big stars first.
Alok Mishra
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a brave book - no doubt. This is a timely book aptly extended to the public. It certainly inspires the readers by letting them learn that how breaking the silence and pointing the finger at a pervert can be the best thing to do - when there is nothing else to be done. However, from a neutral perspective, the perspective of a reader, the book is written in a wayward manner that can pull the inappropriate strings of boredom at times. I think only the readers who can cope with an intellectu ...more
Sahitya
I will not presume to be in any way capable of reviewing this brilliant book because it’s an extremely well written true account of the investigation and brings to light some systemic truths that we probably are well aware of, but haven’t seen discussed openly a lot. Instead, I think I’ll just share how I felt while reading it.

I’ve only lived in the US for less than a decade now and while I have a seen a Hollywood movie or two since childhood, I’ve never been much knowledgeable about the industr
Tessa
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have slightly mixed feelings about “She Said,” not due to the subject matter or message, but just with the way the book is formatted. The Weinstein investigation section, which takes up the bulk of the book, is thrilling, an account of investigative journalism at its finest. Secret meetings with sources, computer systems meant to keep developing stories accessible to only a handful of writers and editors, the delicate phrasing needed to get a source to talk or to go on record, the difficult ch ...more
Tatiana
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
I thought I understood how high the risks were for women to stand up publicly against their powerful abusers. But I didn't, really.

A must read for every person who responded to an accusation by a woman with a question "But why didn't she go to the police right away?"
Elyse  Walters
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook...read by the two co-authors, Jodi Kantor, Megan Twohey and Rebecca Lowman. (known herself in the Audiobook world).

This professional memoir reads like a true crime thriller... with outstanding top-notch-in-depth-investigating and reporting.

How does an Hollywood ‘outsider’ get Angelina Jolie‘s phone number? Fascinating explosive details of the unfolding of the biggest sexual scandal in Hollywood.

Isn’t it just a ‘little’ tempting to except $100,000 a month to keep quiet?

The two New Y
Gabby
This was incredible. I listened to the audiobook and it was really hard to listen to at times, but it was also so informative about the start of the #MeToo movement, and I want to punch Harvey Weinstein and Brett Kavanaugh in the face.
Mara
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, ebook-owned
For those wondering if you should read both this book and CATCH AND KILL, I would say the answer is yes. While CAK is more focused on the drama of the reporting, this incorporates the story of getting the story within the broader context of how the Weinstein reporting fit into the cultural moment that allowed it to kick "me too" into high gear. This account also has a lot more build out of the Weinstein organization & detailing how his predation was a part of toxic pattern within a corporation w ...more
Kathleen
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kantor and Twohey are the two New York Times investigative reporters that broke the story about Harvey Weinstein’s habitual sexual harassment towards women. [More than 80 women have come forward to-date.] The two journalists had to wade through a flood of bullying tactics Weinstein used to keep these women’s stories silent for so long. Weinstein used his wealth to hire top-tier attorneys to craft airtight confidentiality agreements that his accusers had to sign in order to receive compensation. ...more
Corina
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Ever since reading Bad Blood and watching Spotlight I have been in awe of great journalism. She Said was a wonderful addition, and a must read book, especially since, like Bad Blood, the article that started it all, was only recently published, October 5th 2017. Interestingly enough, there was another journalist that worked on the same topic, Ronan Farrow, who wrote for The New Yorker, and published his article a few days later, on October 10th 2017. I haven’t read his article yet, but I’m inten ...more
Olive Fellows (abookolive)
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I discuss this book in my video covering round 2 of the 2020 Booktube Prize here: https://youtu.be/Jzdhyuxbz18 ...more
Julie Christine
I devoured this in a day. No matter how familiar the headlines, the journey of a news story from idea, rumor, tip, to the front page is fascinating, particularly when that headline launches one of the biggest sociopolitical movements of the decade. My race to the finish of She Saidmade me think of how much I love watching All The President's Men. I never tire of that movie. It doesn't matter that you know the ending— not just to the movie, but all these years later, the political legacy left by ...more
Kelli
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I listened to this book even though I had the hardcopy from my library. The audio was perfection and expertly read, but I had to change the edition in order to display this cover with the red S and all other letters in black. I didn't see that cover until after I finished the book (on mine all the letters were red). That cover gives me chills. It's brilliant...simultaneously subtle and lurid. I can't look away.

This book is everything: a salute to the truthtellers; a long-overdue spotlight on tho
Natasha Niezgoda
IMPORTANT

I read a lot of nonfiction/true crime/social movements books. But there are VERY FEW that I can say “yeah, that happened to me” to. She Said is a different story. It was an eerily relatable story. And at times, it was my story.

It’s taken me a while to write this review because of how much it stirred up raw emotion. How much it made me mad at young Natasha for not knowing how to assert the word “NO”. How much I excused because I was “female”.

And thank god I’m not that same young girl.

Q
Candie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! The writing is amazing, filled with so many details but it still flows great and is very readable. You can definitely tell it is written by two professional journalists.

This book made me so angry and just breaks my heart how so many people knew about some of these things and it still went on for so many years, and happened to so many women. These men are disgusting. And even after they came forward how can so many people actually blame the women? I can't even comprehend how this play
Malia
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a truly gripping book about the origins of the Me Too movement and in particular, the way a small team of dedicated journalists uncovered the Harvey Weinstein abuse scandal. Of course, much of this has already been in the media, but the behind-the-scenes look at how the story came together, the work and time and emotional tribulations that went into it make it an absolutely worthwhile read. Recommended!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Elizabeth
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
From the embers of lone cries from outspoken activitists and disturbing hotel room encounters implicating Harvey Weinstein, a horrific pattern of sexual predation was unearthed to spark a raging flame. The Me Too movement was founded back in 2006 by Tarana Burke, but it was New York Times journalists Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey who poured the gasoline to ignite the movement in 2017. She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement is an explosive and impactful accoun ...more
Emmkay
The first part was fascinating, about how the journalist authors pursued the story of Harvey Weinstein's sexual harassment of both actors and workers at his company. The details of the mechanics of the journalism involved were especially interested (e.g. the formal process of obtaining a response from Weinstein, timing considerations, which stories to run with). The view of the impact of civil settlements and accompanying non-disclosure agreements was also thought-provoking. Then the book petere ...more
Marion
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I read it in one sitting. Ultimately it was unbelievable, all too real, enraging, and hopeful. Highly recommended for those who have been following the #metoo movement.

Update 2/23/20
I am so proud of the women who spoke up in this book and congrats to the reporters who helped reveal the predator and the system who kept him one. I feel like some justice was served. But we still have a long way to go.
Jennifer Blankfein
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating what happened behind the scenes during investigations of Trump and his treatment of women, Weinstein and sexual abuse and Christine Blasey Ford’s sexual assault accusation of Brett Kavanaugh. Jodi and Megan are relentless rockstars! Read in one day!
Suzanne
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A powerful memoir about Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey’s wall breaking sexual harassment coverage that is so gripping and informative readers will have trouble putting it down. It is so empowering and I am so glad that I read it. This is a subject matter that may be a trigger but needs to be discussed and handled regardless. I highly recommend this book to both females and males.
John
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fully prepared to give this 5 stars and declare it my non-fiction book of the year. Had it ended at 184 pages, I would absolutely be doing that. I'll explain.

First, you should know that the book is 422 pages long, but nearly 160 of those pages are notes (thus, putting to rest all the comments on book review forums claiming this to be a baseless cash grab), an index, and acknowledgements. That leaves 265 pages for actual prose.

The first 184 pages detail two young journalists from the NY Tim
Jessica
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for investigative journalism stories, so I was prepared to like this book. However, I didn't realize how much it would hit me emotionally. I mean, I knew the outcome of the New York Times reporters' diligent research and subsequent charges against Weinstein, I had read every article and followed the story and movement (partaking in the hashtag like many women did)—but it's still a book full of tension that had me turning its pages rapidly. This is the craft of true journalism and th ...more
Puck
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There isn’t ever going to be an end,” she said. “The point is that people have to continue always speaking up and not being afraid.”

#MeToo has been one of the most discussed social topics of the last five years, and so it is important and good to see how it began.

She Said describes the intense research-process Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey – aided by their New York Times colleagues – to accuse Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment and abuse. Just speaking out isn’t enough: this book drives
Jaclyn Crupi
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I devoured this in a single sitting. I love a good investigative journalism breaking story story and this really delivered. Seeing the extent of Weinstein’s power and reach and his willingness to do anything to silence these women all come tumbling down is pretty satisfying. This book was less successful in the Christine Blasey Ford sections and perhaps should have focussed solely on Weinstein’s accusers.
Stacy
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend
BookOfCinz
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book deserves to be read. Jodi and Megan did such an amazing job of telling a story that will you leave you enraged and vindicated. I strongly recommend you give it a read.
Ashley
Everybody said this was a good read, and it was. I love journalism books, and this was one of the truest to that form. In many ways, Kantor and Twohey had to make sure it was, that they crossed every ‘T’ and dotted every ‘I’ just so they didn’t leave themselves open to legal action, or worse, from the subjects of their investigation.

This isn’t a long book, but it packs a big punch. Twohey and Kantor are extremely detailed in documenting their investigation, how they tracked down sources and secu
Robert Sheard
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea a story about the research leading to a newspaper story could be as compelling, suspenseful, and powerful as this book has been. I can't tell you the number of times it made me furious about our society, and especially our elected "leaders." (We currently have a president and two Supreme Court justices who come with a history of sexual harassment and/or assault allegations?) This is essential reading.

• Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir
  • In the Dream House
  • Untamed
  • Wow, No Thank You.
Jodi Kantor has covered the world of Barack and Michelle Obama since the beginning of 2007, also writing about Hillary Clinton, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Richard Holbrooke, Eric Holder and many others along the way.

Ms. Kantor graduated from Columbia and attended Harvard Law School. But soon after she arrived, she caught the journalism bug, took time off to work at Slate.com, and never looked back.