Start by marking “Nothing Fancy” as Want to Read:
Nothing Fancy

Nothing Fancy

Feeding friends—and feeding yourself—is totally relaxed with Alison Roman, author ofDining InandNew York Timescolumnist.

It’s not entertaining, it’s having people over. An unexpected weeknight meal with a neighbor or a weekend dinner party with fifteen of your closest friends—either way and everywhere in between, it’s unfussy food paired with unstuffy vibes. This abundant
Published October 22nd 2019 by Clarkson Potter Publishers (first published October 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Fancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Fancy

Start your review of Nothing Fancy
Molly
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a joy to read and I love cooking Romans recipes. It also feels almost radical for a young women born after 1975 to just write about good food that you will enjoy making and enjoy serving instead of trying to convince me that a toasted slice of sweet potato is just as satisfying as a slice of sourdough bread.
Rachel Dowd
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I guess I'm someone who reads cookbooks cover to cover for fun now?
Grace Lindsey
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t wait to cook my way through this cookbook this winter!
Gretchen
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75? I do love Alison Roman's recipes and way of writing (especially all her lazy person tips - I love a cookbook that tells you when you don't actually have to peel something). There's a lot more shellfish/tinned fish stuff in here than I will probably make, but all the recipes I've tried so far have been excellent. Lots of hearty salads and solid ways to prep vegetables.
Val
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alison Roman is funny and her food sounds amazing. Got this from the library but I want to own it!
elizabeth
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodstuff
Lovely. Anchovies literally everywhere.
Kristin
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Looks like Millennials get their own cookbook with this collection focused on reducing anxiety about growing up and throwing a party. There are some decent recipes in here, but they’re not easy. I consider myself a good cook, but not an expert, and this book is not for the 27-year-old refugee of the recession having a dinner party for the first time. Then again, there’s enough hand holding combined with elitist fetishizing of special ingredients to do any good Millennial proud. My observation is ...more
Lorena
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read cookbooks on my Kindle, but this one I did. It is very readable and gave me wonderful ideas and inspiration. She cooks heavy on the garlic, lemony and crushed red pepper side. I love it!
Nick Pengelley
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly wonderful gem! Best Christmas present!
Caitlin Flanagan
I read every darn word

Endlessly charming, hilarious and grounded. The photographs are enough to convince me to try tasting things I otherwise wouldn’t, and Alison’s voice gives me the confidence to try cooking them! I can’t wait to get cooking/drinking!!
Mskychick
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
These recipes were perfectly fine. It’s simply that nothing from them called to me as something I want to try.
Lisa
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to make ALL THE THINGS in this coobook!!
Jennifer Pretoria
I'm excited to try out nearly every (vegetarian) recipe in this book, and laughed out loud more than once reading it. 10/10!
Sarah Cetra
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
great cookbook with amazing recipes, but also incredibly readable, light, informative, and funny.
Liz
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Spoiler alert: These recipes are a little too fancy! Am I buying hibiscus flowers to roast with peaches? Not a chance. But I do like Alison Roman's style, which is charming and funny (e.g, You can use Greek yogurt here, but don't blame me if you wish you had used sour cream). Most of the recipes I made were good but slightly off--usually too much or too little of a particular ingredient (salt, butter, lemon, etc.). In case it's useful for anyone:

--Marinated Artichokes: good, but using full
Beverly
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you’ve bookmarked three dozen recipes you want to make—and it’s a library book—it’s time to buy the book!

The last couple cookbooks I checked out were more about the author than the food. I don’t need six dozen photos of the moody celebrity chef pondering their farmers market. I want approachable, creative recipes that are veg-forward with some of the latest, greatest ingredients and concepts. Toss in a handful of well-explained cooking techniques. This is it!

Her ideas for entertaining are
Carolyn
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m a huge fan of cookbooks and I find reading a cookbook on the weekend, marking down things id like to try, to be an excellent leisure activity.

That being said, her writer’s voice is great. I love the little stories sprinkled into the book. The recipes themselves just don’t get me real jazzed to cook. She has a weird obsession with fennel seed and i honestly don’t like fennel seed all that much.

I think this book just didn’t speak to me, but would probably be great for someone else.
Lisa Schramp
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Never in my life have I been obsessed with a cookbook - until this one. The recipes are fabulous, Roman's writing is very entertaining and the book is gorgeous (and funky). It has suprisingly renewed my love for cooking and my goal is to cook/bake every dish in the book. After receiving this book for Christmas, I immediately bought her first book Dining In which is equally as good. I am officially a fan!
Hoolia
Ok, so I have a thing for Alison Roman. So sue me. Her recipes are accessible, adaptable, they take just enough time for me to really enjoy the process of cooking but not long enough to make me want to throw the whole thing out the window, and they’re fucking good. I found myself reading this and marking all the recipes I wanted to try immediately, and when I finished well over half the book was marked. Can’t wait for dinner time to come!
Mary
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful cookbook with some delicious and definitely infused recipes that are as fun to read as to cook. I love Alison roman’s voice, which is funny and personable and makes you believe you can cook! Ready to check out her other cookbook now too.
JC  Cornell
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really like how the recipes are broken down with notes on additions you may want to keep in mind. Love that everything is more practical and about having a great hosting experience with out resorting to fancy-ness.
Frances
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, this gets 5 stars because of her COPIOUS commitment to anchovies and her unapologetic writing style.

Also because I was able to riff a celery salad that was pretty tasty after a heavy duty Thanksgiving weekend.
Maggie
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fpl, cookbooks
I haven't cooked any recipes but I totally want to. Love how bold and spicy all the recipes look, and the photos full of saturated colors and tinted glass plates and cups. Very cool.

Recipes tried: 0
Jenn Adams
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, nonfiction, food
Reading as many Goodreads Choice noms as I can.

Almost everything in here is more aspirational than practical for me... lots of stuff I would EAT but probably never cook. If this is the NOT fancy/fussy stuff I would love to see the fancy stuff.
Kim
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
If you haven’t watched any of Alison Roman’s YouTube cooking videos, you really should! Start with “The Stew”. If you haven’t made any of her recipes, again, ...you really should. If you like to cook but really want to keep it simple and delicious, you really should get this book!
Anne Libera
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good ideas and recipes here -Alison Roman is aspirational for entertaining today in the same way that The Silver Palate was aspirational 20 years ago but also completely different - messier, simpler. Especially enjoy the various vegetable/sides recipes which is very much how I cook now.
Stephanie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
A perfectly fine collection of recipes. Not one grabbed my attention enough to want to make it.
Katherine Evans-Pearson
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great collection of recipes. Good hearty meals.
Rae Simpson
PWRL
Dec 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: zz-2019-dec-new
A

• Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family
  • Where Cooking Begins: Uncomplicated Recipes to Make You a Great Cook: A Cookbook
  • Half Baked Harvest Super Simple: More Than 125 Recipes for Instant, Overnight, Meal-Prepped, and Easy Comfort Foods: A Cookbook
  • Mostly Plants: 101 Delicious Flexitarian Recipes from the Pollan Family
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: The New Frontier
  • Antoni in the Kitchen
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking
  • Ottolenghi SIMPLE
  • Sean Brock's South
  • The Clean Plate: Eat, Reset, Heal
  • Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
  • Happiness Is Baking: Cakes, Pies, Tarts, Muffins, Brownies, Cookies: Favorite Desserts from the Queen of Cake
  • The Gaijin Cookbook: Japanese Recipes from a Chef, Father, Eater, and Lifelong Outsider
  • Love and Lemons Every Day: More Than 100 Bright, Plant-Forward Recipes for Every Meal
  • Jubilee: Recipes from Two Centuries of African American Cooking: A Cookbook
  • Sister Pie: The Recipes and Stories of a Big-Hearted Bakery in Detroit [a Baking Book]
  • Cravings: Hungry for More
  • Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook
ALISON ROMAN is the author of the bestselling cookbook Dining In, a bi-weekly columnist for the Cooking section of The New York Times and a monthly contributor at Bon Appétit Magazine. Creator of #thestew and #thecookies, her highly cookable recipes frequently achieve massive popularity in both home kitchens and on the internet. A native of Los Angeles, she lives in Brooklyn until she moves ...more