Start by marking “The Pit Prop Syndicate” as Want to Read:
The Pit Prop Syndicate

The Pit Prop Syndicate

3.05  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
When Seymour Merriman stopped at the side of the road twenty-six miles outside Bordeaux, little did he know how his life was about to change.

The events that followed would take him through an adventure wrought with mystery, smuggling, murder and love. As this classic tale unfolds, it follows two amateurs in their attempt to unlock the mystery of changing number plates, an
Published 2001 by House of Stratus (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Pit Prop Syndicate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pit Prop Syndicate

Law Man
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
In part, good classic crime fiction. The nature of the crime is original, and the detection of clues well done. The time setting of the story - early 1920s - creates period interest.

The story is in two halves: first two amateurs try to find the nature of the crime, and evidence for it. Then the professionals (the police) take over.

What lets the story down is the character of one of the amateur 'heroes'. In particular, he falls in love with a woman at first sight, and professes his amorousness in
John
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though it was probably a bit too long. I have given it four stars but I suspect that others who are not quite as fond of F.W.C.'s work as I am would maybe have found it a bit pedantic or even boring.

The reader shares every thought, suspicion, idea and action of both the two amateur detectives in the first half of the story and of Inspector Willis in the second half. Crofts' attention to detail is legendary and probably harks back to his previous occupation as
Pamela
Dec 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is the second Crofts I've read, and it wasn't much better than the first. First of all, it was entirely too long. The same story could have been told in half the words and with half the irritation to the reader. It goes like this: Here's what the bad guys are doing. No, it's not that, but it could be this. No, not this but probably the original thing. But then again, it could be the second thing. And on and on, over and over. These aren't so much twists as annoying curves.

Even more annoying
Kathy
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Aside from the too-quick falling in love that it shares with many other mystery stories I've read lately, this was a finely-crafted mystery. A better knowledge of boating terms would have helped my understanding of some details, but generally I enjoyed this book.
Shirley D. Stahl
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Very English Mystery

Complex and detailed, this book is typical of the 1920s era of murder mysteries. It takes concentration to stay with the plot, but it's worth it.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2013/2...
Bettie☯
Feb 05, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Author recommended by Gerry

Not the Crofts I really wanted (Death of a Train) but I shall sample this new to me author with this.
Miss Prism
May 27, 2016
Richard
Mar 08, 2011
R.M. Giardina
rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2017
Feb 13, 2010
Willo
Sep 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born in Dublin of English stock, Freeman Wills Crofts was educated at Methodist and Campbell Colleges in Belfast and at age 17 he became a civil engineering pupil, apprenticed to his uncle, Berkeley D Wise who was the chief engineer of the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway (BNCR).

In 1899 he became a fully fledged railway engineer before becoming a district engineer and then chief assistant en
More about Freeman Wills Crofts...