Start by marking “Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands” as Want to Read:
Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands

Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands

"When everybody zigs, zag," says Marty Neumeier in this fresh view of brand strategy. ZAG follows the ultra-clear "whiteboard overview" style of the author's first book, THE BRAND GAP, but drills deeper into the question of how brands can harness the power of differentiation. The author argues that in an extremely cluttered marketplace, traditional differentiation is no lo ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Zag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zag

Brittany
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Marketing professionals, Students, Small business owners, Venture capitalists
Recommended to Brittany by: Myself & Marty Neumeier
How I Came To Read This Book: This is the sequel to Marty Neumeier's first book - 'The Brand Gap' that I picked up at the same time as TBG.

The Plot: In The Brand Gap, Marty Neumeier covers five key areas to better branding - one of which his differentiation. Zag focuses on differentiation, or finding your 'zag', the way you differ yourself from everyone else in the market, therefore owning (or at least coming in second) within your market. If you're not #1 or #2, Neumeier advises you to find a w
Robert
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Brand" is the gut feeling people have about your product or company.
When People buy they ask themselves "what does this make me".
Do not fight marketing clutter with more marketing clutter.
Hit them where they aren't

Name
A name should be different from its competitors, brief, 4 syllables or less, appropriate but not so descriptive that it sound generic, easy to spell, satisfying to pronounce, suitable for brand play, legally defensible.
Hope Harris-Gayles
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
To my Goodreads friends this isn't a glitch in the system--I really just finished reading this book! Granted it was about 156 pages with large type and some pictures, but it's a book, I finished it, and it counts. Zag is Marty Neumeier's follow up to The Brand Gap, though they don't have to be read in sequence (as I'm hoping to start TBG next week). I found the book easy to understand, and full of nuggets of wisdom and advice. As I'm leading a team at work to rebrand the organization this was ti ...more
Shaw
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Zag was great, short and sweet. I wish it went into a little more detail. Lots to think about though and I liked how it dove into how culture plays a part in branding and branding shifts.
Delia
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read, a perfect introduction to branding and uniquely shaping your business. Doesn't stay too much on the same topic and even has a visual scheme of the 17 steps toward creating a good brand at the end of the book.
Vitalii Oriabka
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-shelf
This short presentation-book (how it called by author) guides you into branding strategy, also brings you a basic understanding how innovation and "think different"(by apple inc.) principle can moving you forward through the redundancy on the market and helps you to create a great business with strong branding vision. Through the book, you'll see how to create a brand on the example of wine company through the 18 principles of making "Zag". This book is the great introduction into business for e ...more
Chad Warner
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: marketers, entrepreneurs, business owners
A concise book of practical branding and marketing advice. It tells how to build your brand by being different and finding a trend. Those will allow you to appeal to the "tribe" that is naturally drawn to your offerings. I like that book follows a fictional wine bar as it seeks to define its brand. This made it easier to understand the concepts.

As with The Brand Gap, I wish the book had gone deeper on the topics.

I read this because I'm revisiting the branding of my web agency, OptimWise. I googl
Shannon Clark
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A book that has been in my stack of "to read" for quite a while and which I finally finished the week after I took a job as the Director of Marketing (and sales and growth) for a startup. So suddenly even more relevant and useful as a starting point for my own thinking about our brand and product and marketing strategy.

The book is a good example of a print book that leverages print and design to make points - this would be a very different read in a digital form. Elements of the book seem sligh
Taylor Snyder
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advertising
One of the most refreshing brand/ad books I have read. Right away the author tells you he wrote this book to have a lot of content concentrated down into a quick read and he delivered. The book was really written for creatives that want to understand more about the strategy of branding and positioning. It is told through the example of a wine company and uses simple analogies and staccato illustrations to pull the entire read off with aplomb. But more importantly, due to the way it was construct ...more
Bart Van Loon
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
You cannot rate a business book the same way as a work of fiction. Yet, I think 4 stars are appropriate for this book. It's different, more to the point and more engaging to read than other business books, even other marketing books.

You'll finish it in only a few hours and definitely get something useful out of it if you're a business owner or working in a brand marketing department.
Kyle McManamy
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an entertaining overview of marketplace differentiation via company identity. It is a quick read by design and is filled with great examples. I plan to go back through it to take notes. I recommend it for those involved with brand identity of a church, company, or organization.
Aoi
Quick, condensed read - nothing too new or radical to speak of.
Atman Pandya
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: marketers, mba-students
This is an amazing book and I wish these principles were taught to us during our MBA.

The book primarily serves to help in launching a new brand and the 17 point checklist is a fantastic way to cover all the main aspects of what you want to create in the market. With the example if a fictional wine bar the author takes us through the entire checklist so that we can look at how this process works.

Marty does a great job of explaining the problems plaguing current business and he also explains basic
Ashley
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marty Neumeier delivers another deceptively short and straightforward treatise on branding in his sequel to The Brand Gap. But the imminently readable Zag tells the hard truths about the commitments that must be made to sustain a brand in the fastest moving marketplace of all time. Neumeier’s practical and process-oriented approach makes a great roadmap for marketers who want to start finding (and executing) against a position that’s more than marketing-speak and can deliver on real business out ...more
Andrew Chwalik
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: branding
Great book on teaching companies how to develop a brand and execute on a new brand if they already exist in the marketplace. Excruciatingly helpful for new companies looking to make an impact and stay open longer than three years. Branding is essential to companies of every size. Do it right at the start to be successful. If you're a large brand, this book will shed a little light on your path but won't revolutionize your strategy. The main message, innovate at the speed of light.
Arash Narchi
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing, 2018, branding
If you don’t read many marketing/branding books you will appreciate how light and condensed this book is while offering tons of applicable value.

If you read many marketing/branding books, you will appreciate how much useless jargon the author avoids in an effort to appreciate your time and attention.
Sanita Kacuba
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A practical, uncomplicated guide of brand building and maintaining. Covers everything you may need without fancy shmancy theories and models. Therefore this is not a indepth book on branding, if you are looking for one but will get you going with strong basics.
Thinh Nguyen
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy to understand and should provide clarity for people who want to started working with brand strategy, marketing or brand marketing. A bit over exaggeration and over simplification at times but it is understandable with this kind of books
Maria Shutak
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple tutorial which helps to find your UVP.
Jesse
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick ready but a good read for anyone involved in marketing and branding.
Kseniya
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nothing brand new, but well systemized and succinctly reminds about essential branding principles.
The first chapter is much better. The second one impressed less but still good
Adam
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Very considerate of the author to write something that could be read in one sitting with at least a dozen useful takeaways.
Faheem Kajee
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't find anything memorable or exceptional about this book.
Tobias Tuleby
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A 2 hour read packed with info. The 17 step checklist is great!
Hideous typography, very US-centered and a bit outdated (e.g. refers to Netflix as DVD by mail, which it was up until 2007)
Mary Kelly
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mainly fluff, and quotes from better authors. Not a great book.
Mari Luangrath Ullrick
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great branding book that's easy to flip-through. I keep it on my desk as a reference whenever I'm trying to create an edge to a branding idea, and this process works for me.
Barb Terpstra
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Why zig when you can zag? Zag doesn't seem like much of a solution, does it? But that's the premise of this book. Do you want your brand to stand out, then you should zag when everyone else is zigging.

This book is about branding,and how you can make your brand stand out. Meier starts right out be defining the new definition of brand for us: "It's not a company's logo or advertising. Those things are controlled by the company. Instead, a brand is a customer's gut feeling about a product, service
Robert
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing

Zag
Marty Neumeier
Peachpit Press

In a previous book, The Brand Gap, Marty Neumeier explains how companies can bridge the gap between business strategy and customer experience, noting that brand-building isn’t a series of isolated activities; rather, it is a complete system in which five disciplines – differentiation, collaboration, innovation, validation, and cultivation – “combine to produce a sustainable competitive advantage. “ His intent in Zag “is to zoom in on differentiation to reveal the s
Brooke Barnhardt
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I was able to listen to this twice since it is so short!
I wanted to write down the book's key ideas for future reference:

As the pace of business quickens and the number of brands multiplies, it's customers, not companies, who decide which brands live and which brands die.

Today's real competition doesn't come from other companies but from the extreme clutter of the marketplace.

Fighting clutter with more clutter is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

Customers today don't like to be sold—t
Ashley
Nov 02, 2007 added it
Zag: The Number One Strategy of High-Performance Brands is written as a whiteboard presentation, so it's fairly easy to read all at once or in small sections. It's packed with information and examples. The book is summarized into "Take-Home Lessons" at its end, so you're able to give yourself a refresher. Although that might seem a little simplistic or even condescending, I thought it was helpful for making connections between different sections of the book.

Zag begins with a discussion of why ad
« previous 1 3 next »

• A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership
  • Brand Hijack: Marketing Without Marketing
  • Building Strong Brands
  • The Origin of Brands: How Product Evolution Creates Endless Possibilities for New Brands
  • American Steel
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Growing a Business
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • My Years with General Motors
  • The Republic of Tea: The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders