Start by marking “Sacagawea: The Journey To The West” as Want to Read:
Sacagawea: The Journey To The West

Sacagawea: The Journey To The West

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  7 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Lewis and Clark Expedition to the Northwest might not have succeeded if it had not been for Sacagawea. Yet, as this exciting biography reveals, the Shoshoni Indian girl was only sixteen years old when she served as an interpreter, peacemaker, and guide for the mission. This volume highlights the monument to Sacagawea created by Native American artist Harry Jackson.
Published September 1st 1997 by Silver Burdett Press

To ask other readers questions about Sacagawea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacagawea

Anna Lawrence
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed reading this biography about Sacagawea because it was tremendously informational, yet to the point! I have learned a lot about Sacagawea but this was a good book to briefly refresh my memory of her capture and exploration with Lewis and Clark. Although there was a lot of text on one page (this could definitely be intimidating to younger readers) the corresponding picture on the page next to it supported what was being explained and painted a detailed picture of
Lindsay Garber
1. Personal Reaction: I thought this biography about Sacagawea was very interesting! Although I have already learned quite a bit about Sacagawea, I still loved reading this book about her exploration with Lewis and Clark. There is quite a bit of text on each page, but it is very insightful and important! I think the large illustrations that correspond with the text paints a detailed picture of her journey and truly capture the reader’s eye.
2. Purposes/use in the classroom:
-Read aloud to make cur
Lenae Haley
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is about Sacagawea and her life. She had many accomplishments in life and is still remembered today for them. It tells about her younger life up to the time of her expedition with Lewis and Clark. The book goes into great detail about their voyage to the west.

This book was very informative and the illustrations were neat.

This book could be used to read in the classroom when talking about history. I feel like kids don't know a lot about Sacagawea or who she even is. I honestly didn't
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-350
This book is about Sacagawea's life. She was orphaned and kidnapped into slavery. When she was 16 she had a baby boy and helped an expedition of men go to the west coast. She knew the land well and was the person who could translate native languages and made the group seem less harmful. She died when she was 23 soon after she gave birth to a daughter.

I really enjoyed learning more about this amazing, young, native american's life. I would highly recommend this book.

I would use this in my classr
Sarah Harmon
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book Sacagawea The Journey To The West is such an amazing book about the life of one of the most important American women in history. This book tells the story of how Sacagawea went from being with her tribe, to marrying a Frenchman, to being a guide for Lewis and Clark.
This is a fascinating book! It's written well and the illustrations are beautiful! I couldn't put it down!
I definitely want this book in my classroom library. Perfect for a unit on either American Indians or US History.
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is about Sacagawea's journey to the west. It talks about how she was captured as a child and forced to marry a man but really was his slave. It also talks about her bravery when leading Lewis and Clark to the West to see Oregon. I liked this book. Sometimes I do think people forget about Sacagawea even though she was very important to American History by preventing the British from claiming the West. I would definitely read this to my class.
Chanae Wills
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This book is about Sacagawea, a Shoshoni Indian, who helped with the Lewis and Clark expedition. I could use this book to teach about the Lewis and Clark expedition. I could also use this book to teach about Sacagawea, who isn’t really mentioned in the history books and how she played a vital role in this country’s history.
Apr 05, 2016
marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2011
Rachel Geen
marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
The award-winning author of nearly 300 non-fiction books for children and young adults, Dennis Fradin is known for his meticulous research, attention to detail and smooth, graceful writing.

Fradin attributes his success in part to years of teaching in the Chicago Public Schools. In order to hold his second graders’ attention at the end of the day, he would spin stories about crayons in distress and
More about Dennis Brindell Fradin...