Start by marking “Dancing Barefoot” as Want to Read:
Dancing Barefoot

Dancing Barefoot

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  1,914 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
Wil Wheaton - blogger, geek, and Star Trek: The Next Generation's Wesley Crusher - gives us five short-but-true tales of life in the so-called Space Age in Dancing Barefoot. With a true geek's unflinching honesty, Wil examines life, love, the web, and the absurdities of Hollywood in these compelling autobiographical narratives. Based on pieces first published in Wil's huge ...more
Published March 5th 2004 by O'Reilly Media (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing Barefoot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing Barefoot

Jim
This was fun. The first few stories were short, kind of sappy & OK. I was going to give this 3 stars. The last story was longer than the rest put together & was really good. Wheaton bares his soul & does all actors a service. Just how much the audience reaction matters is very well told. I also loved the look into the various Star Trek actors.

I'm surprised that Shatner was a dick, but I generally try to remain ignorant of actor & author personal lives. I rarely like them any bet
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Funny and poignant, the last story in this collection was a fantastic geeky read for Trekkies like myself. Unfortunately, the other stories in this memoir were fairly unremarkable with tired themes of nostalgia. I highly recommend listening to the audiobook version which was narrated by the talented author.
Donna
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a book challenge read. I recognized the author's name as an audiobook narrator so I knew this would be a good "listen". As I got into this, I had no idea who the author really was. He is more than an audiobook narrator. He was Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation. I loved that show. While I'm by no means a trekkie, I was able to understand the "trekkiness" of his stories in this book.

The author is known for so much more than the two things I've mentioned. This was an enligh
ian
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book just as I was preparing to leave Iraq. The stories inside are just great--heartwarming, funny, geeky and more. It provided some much-needed escapism from my then daily life of warfare.
LittleMissBookworm
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub-reads
"Dancing Barefoot" is a collection of five short stories, or rather memories, by actor Wil Wheaton.

All of these recollections are rather nostalgic and honest. The first four are stories about Wil's family and really show how much they mean to him. The last and longest one is about a "Star Trek" convention that Wil Wheaton attended and how it affected him.

Not being overly familiar with "Star Trek" or any other works of Wil Wheaton (aside from "The Big Bang Theory"), I didn't really expect that mu
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i love wil wheaton. love him. like most people, i hated him as wesley crusher, but then i discovered his blog. he writes well, is funny, is a real person with a real life who just happens to be a celebrity. and i like his stories and the way he tells them. so, yeah.
if you like his blog, you’ll like this book.
Anna
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only ever read Wil's blog posts - and heard him read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline - but had always planned to listen to his books. I might've started with the wrong one (it's hard to tell from the publishing date which book came out first and therefor which should be listened to first, especially since the stories in "Dancing Barefoot" are ones that simply didn't find their place in "Just A Geek"), but either way I'm really happy that I finally got around to it.
There's something uniqu
Kate
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
For a quick short read, this was wonderful. I finished reading it prior to reading Wil Wheaton's larger book "Just a Geek" since chronologically this was published first. As a lover of all fiction work, and usually a snob to anything else I am so glad I took a chance and read Dancing Barefoot. Though all the stories in this book I have already read, (courtesy of WWdn) being able to sit with a book in your hand and reading them by paper and not by computer makes the experience much for fulfilling ...more
Stephanie Johanesen
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Entirely too short, is what I say. Who knew Wil Wheaton, the loved/hated character named Wesley on Start Trek the Next Generation was a good writer? Well ... he is. This is the first piece I've read by him, and it's a small compilation of short pieces he wrote for his website. The stories range from a very touching, heart-wrenching piece about the passing of a family member, to a lengthy missive about attending ST conventions, meeting William Shatner for the first time and more. You go from bein ...more
August
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wil Wheaton is one of my favorite celebrities, because he's honest about the fact that, you know what, there's no such thing as a celebrity -- everyone is just another person, some more well-known than others. He isn't afraid to display his nerdiness, his quirks, his awesome gigs and his adorable relationship with his wife. I'm not the hugest fan of his writing style, and frankly this book could have used at least two or three more pairs of sharp eyes for the punctuation, but Wil's got heart. I ...more
Kristine Schmidt
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had to read this after I saw Wil Wheaton do a performance of "william fucking shatner" at DragonCon 2011. I really enjoy sci-fi tv/movies, but I'm not a fangirl, so when I read this, I was not approaching them as writing from a celebrity author (often mediorce), but as a window into a world I don't know. I really liked them. Sure, some of the essays pull on familiar themes, loss and grief for starters, but I loved the essay where he went to the Star Trek Experience in Vegas, and was overcome b ...more
quinnster
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wil Wheaton writes five short, but sweet and insightful stories about love, loss and growing up but remaining a kid at heart. While all the stories had their high points, the longest story The Saga of SpongeBob VegasPants was my favorite because it had a bit of everything. I think that the most endearing thing about Wil Wheaton is that he is still unsure of himself. He is confident when it comes down to it and he's in his element, but before he finds his bearings he's sort of just this normal gu ...more
Karen
A short collection of five stories, the last being roughly half the content. Heartfelt and funny. I'll definitely have to get ahold of a copy of Just a Geek: Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise.
Annathea
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was awesome.
Feisty Harriet
I have never read anything by Wil Wheaton, this collection of memoir-y type essays was charming and interesting, and I'm not necessarily an over Wheaton, Star Trek, or sci fi fan.
Ian Coomber
Sep 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: biographical
Mostly based on his blog entries, Dancing Barefoot was the first of his books to be published, but the third I have read. Although autobiographical, it is more anecdotal in tone, mainly about good times spent with his wife, stepchildren and Star Trek, but opening up on something of a more serious note. “Houses in Motion” is far from the most entertaining of chapters from any of his books, but then I’m very sure it was never meant to be. In this particular chapter, Wheaton tells us of his emotion ...more
Casey Hampton
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ographies
Some say short and sweet.
I say brief, but savory.

If you're contemplating reading this book, chances are you're already aware of Wil Wheaton. These five stories provide a slivered glimpse into childhood, and adulthood. Wheaton writes in an authentic voice that transcends Hollywood personas. These stories are filled with insightful feeling, genuine introspection, and honesty. Whether Wheaton is relaying a chance encounter with a beautiful girl at the age of fifteen, or showing his wife Ann walking
Ryan Sestric
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Damn good read! I'm a fan of Wil Wheaton, and chase his stuff around the interwebs (in a non-creepy stalker way). I have to say that this book was a highly entertaining, well written, and a super easy read for those lazy days where you just need to be entertained. It's really short and digestible, so you can plop this book in when you are getting tired of the other books you are reading. If you've seen Wil on Tabletop or any panel discussions, this book is just the written form of his performanc ...more
Sofia
Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Posted on my book blog.

After reading Wil Wheaton's memoir, Just a Geek, I figured why not go ahead and read his other works too? So I picked this one up.

It's very similar in tone and subject matter to Just a Geek, even though most of the stories focus less on his relationship with Star Trek and more on his life and memories. Still, the last (and longest) story, The Saga of SpongeBob VegasPants, was a bit repetitive for me because there was already a shorter version of it in the other book.

This a
Erik
Jun 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Fresh from having seen Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation) read several of his essays to the large crowd at last month's Emerald City Comic-Con, I eagerly picked up this second and shorter collection of his essays. (Most of which have appeared in one form or another on his frequently-hit website, by the way.) But I'm under-whelmed, I have to say. Maybe it's the tedious melancholy of a thirty-something ex-Star Trek actor that doesn't work for me anymore. Or maybe it's s ...more
Marie
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I thought I would follow up the two volume Italian epic with something nice and short, and this is indeed short. A lunchtime read, it's mostly warm but full of expected nostalgia and very mainstream life. Well, except for the Star Trek bits. I am told, though I do not quite believe it, that there are people who don't know a thing about Star Trek and have never been to a convention or met a rabid Trekkie.

Wil Wheaton claims to have met these people, but then, he moves in no doubt larger circles th
Geoff Young
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This memoir is a light, easy read that can be (and in my case was) consumed in a single afternoon. The first third consists of four vignettes that didn't connect with me and felt like fluff. The final two-thirds is a humorous and poignant account of the author's struggle to come to terms with his former identity as Star Trek's Wesley Crusher. This latter part, if expanded and perhaps combined with similarly themed stories, could lay the foundation for a book I'd read in a heartbeat.
Jay
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I found this quite a nice listen on audio, with Wheaton doing the reading. I haven't read other Wheaton books and haven't kept up with his blog, and I guess that's important to know since I read that the stories appeared elsewhere first. I liked his short stories at the beginning of the book, but I thought he read them with too dramatic timing. The last longer story, about a Star Trek convention in Vegas, was great. I'll definitely read more.
Salimbol
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Another of Wil Wheaton's collections of autobiographical anecdotes. Not as polished as some of his other work (they're bits and pieces that didn't make the final cut for his other earlier book, 'Just A Geek', and I think it shows with most of them), these were nevertheless highly readable - especially the centrepiece of the book, 'The Saga of Spongebob Vegas Pants, or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Star Trek', which is by turns funny, touching and illuminating.
Meara
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! At least one of the stories will make you cry, "who had a heart to love, and courage to make's love known." Have tissues at the ready. At least one other will make you fall in love, or perhaps fall back in love. All of them will make you think, and wonder, and remember, even when perhaps you'd rather not. This is a wonderful examination of the ways we grow up.
Kacy
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Listened to book 5 last night: Dancing Barefoot by Wil Wheaton. It was a quick fun read. (There is some bad language, so be aware of that if it bothers you.) This book consists of several anecdotes from Wil Wheaton's life.
Virginia
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
The first several stories in this book felt a lot like they belonged in the "Lives" column of the New York Times (the one that appears on the last page of the Sunday magazine). The story about the Star Trek convention in Las Vegas was extremely touching.
Book was too short.
Jamie
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a companion to "Just a Geek" with five stories that didn't fit in the original book. I enjoyed this book quite a bit as they were a bit more personal. Much more emotional growth in these. I actually teared up reading the one about saying goodbye to his great aunt.
Seawood
Thrilled to get this for Christmas in hard copy. One day I will get it signed (please come to the UK :). I've read all of these tales before via Wil's blog but it's great to have the actual thing in my hands and to support a writer I really enjoy.
Kirsten
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! A very quick read - the stories are brief, but well-written. Funny, sad, it's all here!
  • The Nerdist Way: How to Reach the Next Level (In Real Life)
  • To the Stars
  • Raiders!: The Story of the Greatest Fan Film Ever Made
  • She's Such a Geek!: Women Write About Science, Technology, and Other Nerdy Stuff
  • Evil Cat: A Fluffy Kitty Gets Mean
  • Firefly: Still Flying: A Celebration of Joss Whedon's Acclaimed TV Series
  • Star Trek Star Charts: The Complete Atlas of Star Trek
  • All Wound Up: The Yarn Harlot Writes for a Spin
  • The Slightly Irregular Fire Engine
  • I Am Spock
  • It's a Long Road to a Tomato: Tales of an Organic Farmer Who Quit the Big City for the (Not So) Simple Life
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Battle Hymn of the Tiger Daughter
  • No Man's Lands: One Man's Odyssey Through The Odyssey
  • The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began
  • Das große Los
  • Rewrites
  • God Collar
Wil Wheaton began acting in commercials at the age of seven, and by the age of ten had appeared in numerous television and film roles. In 1986, his critically acclaimed role in Rob Reiner’s Stand By Me put him in the public spotlight, where he remains to this day. In 1987, Wil was cast as Wesley Crusher in the hit television series Star Trek: The Next Generation. Recently, Wil has held recurring r ...more
“Next Generation was immensely popular at the time, and I was still riding high on the success of Stand by Me. They couldn’t understand why I was so intimidated by these actors – my face was splashed across the cover of every teen magazine in print. Why was I so intimidated? I was a 16 year-old geek, with a chance to meet The Big Three from Star Trek. You do the math.” 0 likes