Start by marking “The Real "Bravo Two Zero"” as Want to Read:
The Real "Bravo Two Zero"

The Real "Bravo Two Zero"

The Bravo Two Zero mission, in which an eight-man SAS patrol was discovered many miles behind Iraqi lines and had to make a run back for the border and safety, is probably the most famous incident involving British troops in the Gulf War. Two bestselling books--Bravo Two Zero and The One That Got Away--were published and two of the soldiers, using the pseudonyms "Andy ...more
Published 2003 by Cassell (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Real "Bravo Two Zero", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real "Bravo Two Zero"

Start your review of The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
Lee Sherred
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: military
Got to admit that I wasn't impressed with this book. I'm not saying that McNab's Bravo Two Zero is a historical document, far from it, but this book just seemed to have a bitter pettiness to it that left a sour taste in my mouth. It seemed to me to be more suited to a biased tabloid.
James
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a must read for anyone who is interested in the Special Forces in general or SAS "Bravo Two Zero" patrol in particular. Michael Asher is amongst other things ex SAS and this is the account of his on-the-ground 2001 research into what happened to the Bravo Two Zero patrol in Iraq in 1991. It is a fascinating detective story which begins with Asher meeting Uday Hussain then finding and walking the route taken by the patrol.

With the help of local people, Asher manages to find the actual
Graham
Dec 05, 2008 rated it liked it
THE REAL BRAVO TWO ZERO is Michael Asher's attempt to shed light on what really happened during the ill-fated Bravo Two Zero mission in Iraq that Andy McNab and Chris Ryan wrote about.

Such an expose is inherently interesting - and there's plenty of material to get out of the story. Asher wanders around Iraq, speaking to the Iraqis who were involved in the story, and his findings are shocking. But I can't help feeling he's coming a little late to the party, determined to spoil the story, rake up
Dean Mclellan
Michael Asher has an axe to grind!

Having read both “Bravo Two Zero” and “ The one that got away” , I couldn’t help but feel that Michael Asher was constantly trying to disprove both Mcnab and Ryan’s accounts. I appreciate that Asher was trying to defend the honour of the regiment, and of Vince Phillips, but the book was overshadowed by a sense of sometimes childlike rivalry, as if he wanted to be their himself on that fateful mission, but tries to discredit the ones who were.
For me, it was a
Matt
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well that certainly puts end to the BS of Bravo Two Zero and The One That Got Away. Proved that McNab and Ryan have distorted the truth informed to cash in.
Asher travels back to Iraq and traced the "exploits" of the ill fated B2O patrol. He interviews witnesses there and pulls apart the stories and prices together a more feasible outcome.
They had some great exploits which would make great reading so why embellish it, much better read than the actual B20 and OTGA.
Lisa Zappala
Kind of worth a read

Interesting read - some loose conclusions: the story (the real story) remains a mystery to me. Interesting to read the story from another perspective... but alas take it with a grain of salt.
Sam Dunn
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most believable book about this
Borhane
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You cannot just read the book and not watch the Doc.
Well, it is a good one.
Trevor Dennis
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stephan Van wyk
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I suppose I'm doing things back to front here. Never having read McNab's or Ryan's famous books, I decided to start off with Michael Asher's. His is a remarkable work of investigative journalism and an adventure in its own right. It would seem Asher, being an ex-SAS - was mainly motivated by a sense of loyalty to the SAS and in particular to one of the fallen from Bravo Two Zero, Sgt Vince Phillips. He goes about retracing the steps of the 8-man patrol trapped behind enemy lines in Iraq. Bit by ...more
Stephen
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, history
Like most people, I was compelled to read this after reading Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab and The One That Got Away by Chris Ryan. There are several instances in each book that don't correlate with each other and I was eager to find out the truth.

Asher is clearly credible and well qualified to make conclusions about Bravo Two Zero as he lived is he is ex-SAS and knows the desert and Bedouin people intimately. The book goes into a lot of detail about each and that in itself was quite
Ellis Amdur
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two remarkable books appeared after the first Iraq war – Andy McNab’s Bravo Two Zero,& Chris Ryan’s The One That Got Away, detailing the experiences of a squad of SAS soldiers, who fought an epic ongoing battle against Iraqi forces, killing over 250, destroying mobile units, and Ryan, eventually, walking all the way to Syria and freedom. Together, the books represented one of the most remarkable running battles since Xenophon’s march across Persia.
According to Asher, another former SAS
Peter King
When I first read the dust jacket of Bravo Two Zero I was appalled. It was a story of superhuman devotion to the job. Of men, almost Titans, who tried to take on monstrous evil and were defeated. Asher's books are far more interesting. Firstly Asher is ex SAS too and he couldn't believe McNab's account. But more importantly Asher knows the Bedu and Toureg well (he crossed the Sahara longways with his wife once) and writes convincingly about them. Along with a Channel 4 camera crew Asher visited ...more
Wan Peter
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Micheal Tan
Shelves: history-warfare
MA while trying to uncover the real BTZ,he created his own friction world. Astonishing that MA would come out such kind of story. He just pick up pieces here and there yet nothing conclusive to reveal the real truth behind BTZ. I reread this book to get a clear picture having reread Andy version. Yet my conclusion nothing solid from MA.
Rod
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A thoughtful and convincing account of what actually happened during the infamous SAS patrol in Iraq. Asher is meticulous in his research and even-handed in his treatment of the evidence. For me this is the definitive account of what actually happened. This book must form the base of a trilogy and should be read by anyone who has first read both Bravo Two Zero and The One The Got Away.
Troy Cook
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book well written and thoroughly researched. It make the reading of Andy McNab's book a must.I found after this book i was asking myself questions about McNab's story which now just seems too fantastic in parts.Worthy of your time a good read.I suggest reading Andy McNab's story first then reading this so you can understand what is going on.
Prosenjit Paul
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very competent investigation on what happened to the SAS patrol Bravo Two Zero during the first world war, Michael Asher uses all his accumulated skills as an Arabist and Bedouin expert to extract the truth. rated 4 in my scale.
Harry
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
yeah this is more like it
Robert
Feb 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: home
Good research done into Andy McNab's story B20.
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Ok.
But you wonder if HE is telling the truth. Maybe we will never get to the truth!
However, Asher de-bunks McNabb and McNabb is a twat so all's good.
Thomas Nichols

• Eye of the Storm: Twenty-Five Years In Action With The SAS
  • Task Force Black
  • Agent Zigzag: A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love, and Betrayal
  • Chickenhawk
  • Stand By, Stand by (Geordie Sharp, #1)
  • The Watchman
  • Soldier Five: The Real Truth About The Bravo Two Zero Mission
  • Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1)
  • Operation Mayhem
  • First Light
  • Silencer (Nick Stone, #15)
  • The Warrior Elite: The Forging of SEAL Class 228
  • Zero Six Bravo: The Explosive True Story of How 60 Special Forces Survived Against an Iraqi Army of 100,000
  • Rogue Heroes: The History of the SAS, Britain's Secret Special Forces Unit That Sabotaged the Nazis and Changed the Nature of War
Michael Asher is an author, historian, deep ecologist, and notable desert explorer who has covered more than 30,000 miles on foot and camel. He spent three years living with a traditional nomadic tribe in Sudan.

Michael Asher was born in Stamford, Lincolnshire, in 1953, and attended Stamford School. At 18 he enlisted in the 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment, and saw active service in Northern