Start by marking “Found” as Want to Read:
Found

Found

When 11 year old Evan vanishes without trace, his parents are plunged into their worst nightmare.

Especially as the police, under massive pressure, have no answers. But months later Evan is unexpectedly found, frightened and refusing to speak. His loving family realise life will never be the same again.

DI Naylor knows that unless those who took Evan are caught, other childr
Published July 23rd 2019 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Found, please sign up.
Lisa This is what reading is about, in my opinion. What do others do that is different from what I do? Why do they do it?

It is doubtful the author thought …more

It is doubtful the author thought this would be a sticking point, because as noted, there are many places where this is standard. But for people freaking out because it goes against everything they believe or know - it is an opportunity to take another viewpoint, if only vicariously and only for the short time a novel takes.

Why are dogs chained outside? Some dogs, their job - the way they earn their food - is as an alarm system. Outdoors, they sense the intruder far earlier. Some dogs, their job is herding sheep or cattle. For them, being brought inside would mess up their bodies' temperature regulation. We can take coats off and put them on; they can't. They adore their master, of course, but they also have a very regular appointment with him that he always keeps, unlike some folk with indoor pets. And they have a fulfilling, important job that exercises their bodies and brains every day, and they know they are valued and loved in return.

Looked at that way, it is not necessarily wanton cruelty to chain your dog at night. Just as it is not in an animal's best interest to have him lay on the floor while you watch tv, being fed whatever calorie rich snack is available, only to be drug out into the summer heat or winter snow for his twice daily walk. Life is not simple, and judgements shouldn't be either - one reason we read, no?(less)

Start your review of Found
Aimee Davies
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found this book so very boring. Too many characters who were all under developed. The slow pacing of the book was one of the main reasons for my bordem i think, and the premise was poor and lacked detail! Can hardly call this book a psychological thriller, nothing about the crimes were revealed, it takes a stance on the effects on the family when a child goes missing and that's it. If you get attached to the characters i can see how the book is tear jerking and heart warming but otherwise it's ...more
Amanda
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evan and friend Stewie are delayed from leaving rugby practice by Evan looking for his boot. They go to the newsagents for crisps and a can of Fanta, but the time they reach the bus stop Evan has missed his bus so Stewie walks home and leaves Evan to wait for the next bus. Sadly Evan never boards the bus as he disappears!!

The police investigate his disappearance but the case soon goes cold. After 8 months Evan is discovered but he returns too traumatised to talk. Getting Evan back is not the end
Joanne Robertson
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I had no idea when I picked up this book that it would be such an emotional punch to the gut! I was probably expecting a run of the mill police procedural but what I got was a beautifully written book about family and loss that evoked so many feelings in me, I developed goosebumps. Yes, it is a crime drama with a police investigation into the disappearance and subsequent reappearance of an 11 year old boy but it’s also the story of the family affected and that really tugs at the heartstring ...more
Mary
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
While I love ‘who dunnits’ and the thrill of the chase,the vital component,for me,is the connection made with the main characters,be they the police officers or the victim.

And while this story’s premise is interesting and piqued my curiosity,I found something profoundly lacking in its midst.

I didn’t relate to the main officers,called by their last names,as there was no character development in the story.I didn’t walk in their footsteps,shadow them in their quest to find out who abducted Evan,n
Mar 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
Michelle
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Found is the debut novel by Erin Kinsley and what a gripping thriller it is.
After rugby practice Evan and Stewie go to the local newsagents, at first, they are undecided what to buy, Evan decides to buy a can of Fanta and Stewie chooses salt and vinegar crisps. They part company when Stewie walks up Church road and Evan walks towards the bus stop but, he never makes it, he disappears.
The police look for Evan but without no proper leads and other cases taking precedence. The case runs cold. Unti
Eva
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Claire and Matt are faced with every parent’s worst nightmare when their son, Evan, fails to return from school. Evan was taken from a bus stop in broad daylight. With no witnesses, zero leads and a reconstruction that doesn’t provide any answers, detectives fail to move forward in their investigation.

Months go by, until Evan is unexpectedly found and returned home to his parents. But the damage has been done. Evan won’t talk, will not venture outside and hides himself away in his bedroom. Detec
Louise
May 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
C.L. Taylor
I listened to the audio book of Found and was enwrapped. I am not normally a big fan of police procedurals but this book captured me with the tender, thoughtful and realistic portrayal of the the victims of the crime - not just Evan, the snatched boy, but his mother, father and grandparents. Following their emotional journeys through the book was as gripping as the investigation to find Ewan and arrest his kidnappers. Hugely recommended.
Sharon Daley
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Abbi Jackson
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Noll
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Extremely bland. Much more of a character study of a family torn apart by their child being kidnapped, than a thriller about the kidnap itself. The plot seriously lacked development.
Danielle
What a novel

I really, really enjoyed this read. I have such a soft spot for children being abused in any fashion but I enjoyed the way this book relayed such a message. I can’t wait to read her next novel Innocent. Her writing style and character portrayals are excellent. I was into this book from the first page until the end.
Chloe Allan
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Story was okay. Ending was not exciting

Story was very good at the start of this book. The ending was not as exciting as I imagined it was going to be.
Nicki
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Claire and Matt Ferrer find themselves plunged into every parents worst living nightmare when their eleven year old son Evan vanishes on his way home from school. The police find themselves under massive pressure to solve the case but find they have no answers to where Evan is.

Then,..months later Evan is unexpectedly found but he is severely traumatised and refuses to speak. His family are overjoyed that he is home again but begin to realise that their lives will never be the same again.

DI Naylo
Gem ~ Bee
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A punchy, addictive read that blends police procedure and crime thriller in one.
What I loved about this book was the story of the family, a hope in very difficult and unimaginable circumstances and the bonds that helped them survive. Jack and Evan's wonderful relationship was the right tonic to counterbalance the terror and haunting mystery of Evan's disappearance. This isn't a graphic book but it deals with a very difficult subject matter and in some ways what isn't said is the most harrowing
Emma Thompson
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read - sad and thought provoking book. Well written and will read more from the author. Highly recommend this book.
Zoé-Lee O'Farrell

I have seen this book mentioned a lot lately and I was pleasantly surprised when I was approved on Netgalley (sorry for swearing there!) to read it, I wanted to make sure I read it in time for today! This is a little gem of a book, tackling a horrifying situation in such a way made this story all the more moving.

Evan goes missing one day after school, taken from a bus stop, no rhyme nor reason to why. Just gone! When reading that my heart stopped, making me live terrors I never want to have to f
Christopher D'Aguiar
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was an ‘ok’ read. It’s definitely not a psychological thriller or crime story in my opinion. The story skips over what parts would be most interesting; the kidnap, the crime, the offenders. It was particularly slow-moving throughout and focused more on the family and the impact of the crime - which is fine, but also not how the book and story is described. The story was emotive at times, but more due to the nature of the topics covered.
rosemary poppitt
Jan 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Poorly written. No character development or depth, so I couldn't care less about them. and my biggest bugbear - written in the present tense. I don't find this tense an easy one to read. I'm surprised that overall this book has achieved such a high rating. I skim read from about half way through as bored, but wanted to see what happened. Wish I'd not bothered. I wouldn't read any more of her books ...more
Stephanie Taylor
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really good book and a difficult topic that was written about with taste. Only thing I’d say is some characters weren’t revisited. For example - Stewie was really concerned and felt it was his fault but wasn’t said to have tried to visit him once, nor Stewie’s parents?
Michelle Ryles
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an intensely compelling book! I picked up Found and couldn't put it down, almost finishing it in a day until sleep overcame me. Erin Kinsley's brilliant debut novel is an incredibly gripping and highly addictive read. I always get a thrill when my native North East is mentioned in books so I was delighted to find that one of the policeman was from Gateshead - you can always find a Geordie wherever you go!

It's a different take on a child abduction story as rather than focusing on the dark de
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
This book is such a unique and clever perspective on the crime of child abduction as it focuses on not only the perspectives of the police procedures, but it takes you deep within the heart of the family.  It's this perspective that really toys with your emotions and as a parent, your worst nightmares.

When Evan goes missing on his way home from school his family and friends are devastated.  The police have no leads and the outcome is looking more grim as each day goes by.  This part of the story
Lel Budge
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anne-cater
Evan is running a little late, he missed his bus, but it’s only a short wait at the bus stop for the next……but Evan disappears.

His mum and dad, Claire and Matt are distraught….where is Evan?

8 months later, a car is abandoned at a petrol station, it’s occupants run…..but a banging in the boot turns out to be Evan…he’s not talking, hiding himself away in his room….what has happened to this poor boy…?

Then another child goes missing, can Evan help?

Will the police be able to find those responsible ?
Kelly
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this read. I felt it gripping and I always wanting to know what was happening next. I read it in three good chunks.

I like the way this was written. It was as though I was watching a series on tele. Laid out in clips from scene to scene. I found it a clever way to keep the interest of the reader, along with a good story line itself.

It didn't just focus on the story of just one person either. It placed you in different parts to the story. It always gave just enough to want you w
Gemma Warr
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a heart wrenching read and made me want to cry a few times throughout. I’m such a family girl and this made me want to hug my family just that little bit tighter. I really enjoyed the way it was written and it kept me gripped and I read it in 2 days. The subject matter was very sensitive but Erin Kinsley wrote and handled it with such dignity and grace.
Helen
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was a bit worried that this might be upsetting but the subject of the abduction was treated lightly leaving a story more about the effect on the family. I believed in the characters and thought the story moved along at a good pace.
Stephanie Rouse
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I was thoroughly hooked in the first three chapters and that momentum held me through the meanders of the story.
While an enjoyable read I wasn't sure whose story it was supposed to be - so many possible protagonists from Naylor (the detective), Claire and Matt (parents of the abducted child, Evan) or Evan himself or indeed Evan's grandparents. This book told everyone's story - not necessarily a bad thing but had me wondering who I was supposed to be rooting for.
The detective side of the story -
Rio Cook
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
A bit disappointing

I was expecting more crime solving and clever linkages. Not much happens except a series of descriptions of English cream teas. I have read much better crime books than this one.
Nicky Mottram
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
First book by this author and won’t be my last ! Really enjoyed this one, great twist and beautifully written highly recommend

• Deceive Me
  • Blood Orange
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • One Moment
  • Half a World Away
  • The Things We Left Unsaid
  • Lies, Lies, Lies
  • Seven Days
  • Goodbye My Precious Child (DI Sally Parker #6)
  • Little Friends
  • Whatever Happened to Betsy Blake? (Tick-Tock Trilogy, #2)
  • Finding Grace
  • Torn in Two (The Frankie Black Files #1)
  • The Other Wife