Start by marking “Officer Down” as Want to Read:
Officer Down

Officer Down

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  297 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The Chicago Police Department says Samantha Mack shot her partner, Fred, during the confusion of a bungled pursuit. Mack says it was their quarry, a violent pedophile named Marco Trovic, who fired the deadly round in that darkened room. But Mack was knocked out and can’t really say what happened.

When no evidence of Trovic is found on the scene and the bullet is shown to h
Published October 31st 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Officer Down, please sign up.

Asteropê Did you even check Amazon or elsewhere?
If you did, you should have seen that yes, it was.
Amazon Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Officer-Down-T...
It…more
Did you even check Amazon or elsewhere?
If you did, you should have seen that yes, it was.
Amazon Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Officer-Down-T...
It is no doubt on other sites as well. (less)

Shannon 3k
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is not the best crime book I have read....and I have read quite a few. I might have given it a 3.5 , but I was quite taken by the writing, the author's descriptions of Chicago, and even the character development. The writing was better than the story in my opinion. As another reviewer noted the dialogue was somewhat sappy on occasion, but then more than a few characters (to include the oft baffled, befuddled, and hammered heroine, Samantha Mach) were saps. I will read another Theresa Schweg ...more
Dorian
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Promising though mostly indifferent procedural. The opening scene--an attempted arrest in an abandoned building that goes awry--is quite good: the protagonist and narrator's utter confusion is vividly rendered. On the whole, though, I think the constellation of sex, violence and authority as it creates a certain kind of female subjectivity has been better handled, most notably by Susanna Moore in "In the Cut."

I'll probably give Schwegel the benefit of the doubt and see what her second book is li
Bibliophile
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are lots of super cops in crime fiction blessed with razor-sharp minds and martial art skills. Samantha Mack isn't one of them. She's a terrible cop whose mind is mostly dulled by alcohol or blows to the head.

Sam's partner gets killed in a confused shooting, and she is blamed for it. Not my favorite plot (cop accused of murder), but it works well with this character. She starts her own messy, inefficient investigation while dodging the IA and spying on her married lover, mixing it all up
Sam Reaves
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a pretty decent Chicago cop novel; Theresa Schwegel gets a lot of things about the city and about the job. Most of all she gets that a female cop faces challenges the guys don't.
Samantha Mack covers a shift for a cop who calls in sick, partnering with the officer who broke her in (and used to be her lover). They follow a tip from a snitch into an ambush; after a shootout in the dark Samantha is out cold and the partner is dead. The ballistics say it was her gun that killed him.
Nobody but
Jen Phillips
Mar 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cop procedural fans
Okay, I'm trying to read some Agatha and Golden Dagger winners and nominees. This book is about a Chicago cop who gets accused of accidentally killing her partner during a sting operation. I'm only about a 1/3 of the way through; the action level is high, and there is some snappy dialogue.
Marianne
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this Edgar Award Winner. The main character was too stupid to be real.
Clemence D
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
J'ai d'abord été attirée par la couverture (que je trouve toujours aussi réussie d'Acte Sud) et le résumé a finit de me convaincre !

L'idée de départ était bonne ... mais ça s'arrête la.

Et même si j'ai bien aimé le personnage de Samantha : une femme forte et flic de talent qui ne se laisse pas marcher sur les pieds.

Les péripéties sont trop prévisibles et surtout il n'y a pas d'énigme digne de se nom ! Dommage ...
Carolyn Schmidt
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't much like this book. I read it for my book club.

The main character is a female cop, having an affair with a married co-worker. Her former partner is killed; lots of angst over did she do it.

It's a fairly good story, but I didn't like any of the characters. You could have named this book "Despicable Officers".
Tara
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
This won an Edgar Award? I mean, it wasn't bad - I just didn't like the main character at all. She was your typical portrayal of a stupid female and I had higher expectations for her - I expected her to be stronger than she was.
Rebecca Shields
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
An adequate police thriller. Enjoyable, but not particularly memorable.
Lis
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-fiction
This was a very busy book — lots of action, often hard to know just what was going on. I ultimately didn’t care about any of the characters. Glad to be done. Not sure why I finished it.
Quillracer
I picked up this book based on a recommendation from Goodreads.

The premise – a police officer’s partner is gunned down and the officer is suspected of having killed him – sounded interesting. Sadly, I was disappointed.

Mostly it was because I couldn’t warm up to the main character, Samantha Mack. She seemed more interested in sorting out her messed up love life than finding out who really killed her partner and clearing her name. When she did try to find out, she went about it in the most inept w
Rob Kitchin
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Officer Down has two key strengths. First is the character development. Samantha Mack has a spiky persona - emotional, impulsive, insecure, confrontational, needy, with a dose of self-loathing. A woman operating it an environment dominated by testosterone-fuelled men, hyped up on stress and sexist banter, she fronts up to any challenge. Her love life is a mess and she’s developing a drink problem. She might not be the most lovable of characters, but she's well penned. The other principal actors ...more
J
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
BEWARE OF SPOILERS. I DON'T HIDE OR PROMOTE MY REVIEWS. (I write them to help remember what I've read, as book titles don't stick with me).

Chicago-philes will enjoy the settings in "Officer Down," which the author has written in relentless present tense.

First, I learn this apparently common-sense young female officer carries a grudge against her former police partner. Then I watch her and the former partner have to work an evening shift together.

Shots are fired when the two go into a dark build
Mary JL
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Desperate mystery readers only
Recommended to Mary JL by: Received as a gift
Shelves: mystery-horror
The summary given in the box above makes the plot seem really tantalizing. Since it also won an Edgar award, I was expecting great things from this book.

I was sadly disappointed. The premise sounds good, but the writing does not satisfy me. Yes, I know Samantha is traumatized having just lost her partner, but I could not warm up to her character at all. She struck me as having a lot of problems preventing me from thinking she was a good officer. Way to muchof a loose cannon for me to respect her
LJ
OFFICER DOWN (Police Procedural-Chicago-Cont) – Ok
Schwegel, Theresa – 1st book
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2005- Hardcover
Officer Samatha Mack is called in from her day off to go out on call with her former partner, Fred Maloney. They go after a pedophile, Trovic. Sam wakes up in the hospital with a head injury, Fred has been killed and the bullet came from Sam’s gun. After her and her married lover tells her the police aren’t looking for Trovic, Sam finds she has no support from her superiors, IA is
Bev Taylor
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
for samantha mack the line between truth and duty is drawn in blood

sam is a chicago cop with a drink problem, a married lover also in the force and blood on her hands

according to the police dept she's just shot and killed a fellow officer

they r prepared to call it an accident but she is convinced she did not pull the trigger

out on her own to find the truth she finds friends who could be enemies and u have to look out for yourself as no-one else will

very resonant dialouge and sentences which
Dede Herrick
Nov 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Melanie Chabrol-
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. First time I read this author. Chicago Police Department Sam Mack signed up to serve and protect. ADay got hechtic and shooting begins and turns out evidence shows Samantha was the shooter... she would never shoot her partner. She is off the case and she is on leave of absence.
She finds out some colleagues are bad and is having a hard time trying to believe the good from the bad. Will Sam earn self respect and get her job back find out in OFFICER DOWN
Ed
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it
2005 Edgar Award for Best First Novel.

Police Thriller - Samantha Mack and her partner enter a building looking for a pedophile. Sam is hit from behind and awakes to find her partner dead with her gun. The establishment wants to sweep the incident under the rug as friendly fire. Her married lover, Homicide Detective Mason Imes, heads the investigation. Complex debut novel with no really likeable characters.
Elizabeth
Oct 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I couldn't get past the third chapter. The beginning had enough unique writing but then I just knew the story was going to get stupid. I skipped a head a bit to see if it was worth the read...nope STUPID! Language and a woman with no morals...not interested. Its been done before and it is beyond old.
Courtney
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good cop book. The main character was a little rough around the edges. So she was likable, but I got frustrated with her at times when she did stupid stuff.
There's a love story, but again, it's likable - not lovable.

Overall, a good read, but didn't get sucked in so much that I miss the characters now that the book is over.
Jo
Apr 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Samantha Mack is a cop with a drink problem and a married lover. Her problems get even worse when she and her partner go to arrest a paedophile, her partner gets shot and she wakes up in hospital with concussion and accused of murder. Strangely, I really liked Sam because her problems made her flawed and this makes her human. Very enjoyable crime novel as Sam tries to find out the truth.
Nick Vassiliou
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm always seeking out a hidden gem, unfortunately this isn't one of them. Schwegel's writing is strong, she has a good sense of urgency in her prose; the plot, however, drifted into standard fair.

I was also disappointed by the female protaganist--yet another woman who desperately falls in love with the wrong man.
James Hayman
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
A quirky police procedural about a female cop head over heels in love with the wrong guy. Schwegel's debut and a darned good one. I won the Edgar for best first novel. I'll go on to read more of her stuff.
Heather Lasher
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
The main character was actually a little annoying at times and it all wrapped up a little too neatly and suddenly for me. For a book, it was a little too implausible, but I do think though that it would make a decent movie.
Penny
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a debut novel. The main character was a bit too annoying throughout most of the book. However the author wrapped it up quite nicely and the writing was quite good, so I think I will try another one of her books. Kudos on an annoying cop Theresa lol!
David Green
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun and fast paced book. Schwegel is a solid writer with good characters and clever dialogue. Her main character isn't the typical detective who knows exactly whats going on and is so confident they can't mistakes. A very satisfying ending.
Martha
Jul 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
The author is a former student of Loyola University of Chicago. The main character is a Chicago cop. The opening crime scene takes place in a Rogers Park house. This book was a nice blend of humor and suspense, as the cop unravels the murder of her former partner.
Anne
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Quick read with lots of twists and turns. Strong, likable characters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Foreigner
  • Inner City Blues (Charlotte Justice, #1)
  • Hearts and Bones (Hannah Trevor Trilogy, #1)
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • Country of Origin
  • The Jasmine Trade (Eve Diamond Mystery, #1)
  • Line Of Vision
  • The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1)
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • Red Hook (Jack Leightner, #1)
  • Such Men Are Dangerous
  • Witness to Death
  • Every Move She Makes
  • The Renegades (Charlie Hood, #2)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2013
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #8)
  • Intelligence: A Novel of the CIA
  • Death in the Garden
Theresa Schwegel was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. She is the author of four crime novels set in and around the Chicago area. Her debut, Officer Down, was published in 2005, and subsequently won the Edgar® Award for Best First Novel. In 2008, she received the 21st Century Award from the Chicago Public Library Foundation in recognition for an emerging artist with ties to Chicago. Her fifth ...more
More about Theresa Schwegel