Start by marking “100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon & Southwest Washington” as Want to Read:
100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon & Southwest Washington

100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon & Southwest Washington

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This detailed guide covers the trails within a two-hour drive of the Portland/Vancouver area, with 120 maps and 200 photos, Special symbols make it easy to pick trails for day hikers, backpackers, children, equestrians, and mountain bikers. A color wildflower identification guide is included in the 20 pages of color photos. The back of the book includes brief descriptions ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 256 pages
Published April 1st 2006 by Navillus Press

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon & Southwest Washington

Heather
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am currently working my way through this book, one hike per week. Usually on Sundays. Open to new or existing friends who'd like to join me. I've been doing this for nine weeks now (and added my own hike to the book when I was out of town, so my copy is now called "100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon, Southwest Washington, and One in Missoula, Montana.")

Today's hike had a couple of errors on it, but overall this book has been great. I've been able to discover new places and when time has been tight
John Orman
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oregonian and outdoor adventurer Bill Sullivan has come through again with a great guidebook to hiking in NW Oregon and SW Washington. His list of 52 best hikes for families with children is a highlight, but there are plenty of tougher trails covered too!

Nice little description of a hike through Ape Cave, longest lava tube in northern hemisphere. Near Mt. St. Helen's, I had not heard of it before.
Putting on my next Washington itinerary!

Other local hikes I found at about were near the Columbia Ri
Mike
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone within hiking distance of Oregon
Aside from being one of the most grizzled-looking authors around, William Sullivan is the man when it comes to hiking books. His 4 hiking books neatly divide Oregon into books of 100 overly sweet hikes each.

Sullivan's books are somehow far superior to any other hiking book I've ever read. He is able to concisely convey just how cool a spot is, plus his map artists is capable of rendering scenery in such a way that you know exactly what you're getting yourself into before you jump in the car, dr
Michelle Piper
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is so awesome. Has tons of great hikes and gives very specific instructions on how to get there (some are really out there) we've completed a bunch of them and our goal is to try them all. Really really great book.
Michael
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Indispensible guide to wonderful wild areas in the greater Portland area.
Daniel
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mountaineering
One of my favorite hiking books, this title is primarily responsible for igniting my love of hiking and, eventually, climbing.
Malcolm Mohandas Aquinas
Oct 09, 2014
Ken Brooker
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sullivan completed his B.A. in English at Cornell University, studied linguistics at Germany's Heidelberg University, and earned an M.A. in German at the University of Oregon.
In 1985 he backpacked 1000 miles across Oregon's wilderness. His journal of that adventure, "Listening for Coyote", topped the New York Times' year-end review of travel books and was chosen one of the 100 most significant boo
More about William L. Sullivan