Start by marking “Duckett & Dyer: Dicks For Hire” as Want to Read:
Duckett & Dyer: Dicks For Hire

Duckett & Dyer: Dicks For Hire

Michael Duckett is fed up with his life. His job is a drag, and his roommate and best friend of fifteen years, Stephanie Dyer, is only making him more anxious with her lazy irresponsibility. Things continue to escalate when they face the threat of imminent eviction from their palatial 5th floor walk-up and find that someone has been plastering ads all over the city for the ...more
Published March 30th 2019 by dSdF

To ask other readers questions about Duckett & Dyer, please sign up.
G.M. Nair Honestly, I'd say both. I wrote this having been a teen who enjoyed Douglas Adams stuff and wanted to see more of that kind of content.

Some adults mi…more

Some adults might be put off by the comedic absurdism if they don't know what they're getting into.(less)

Start your review of Duckett & Dyer: Dicks For Hire
G.M. Nair
Apr 15, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
That ghost-writer I hired did a pretty good job, but I wish he hadn't been drunk the whole time. Also, I wish he wasn't a real-life ghost.
Jackie
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is something really unique here that no one is publishing in the genre, a hilarious tale that has heart and science and world-building. Reminiscent of Douglas Adams, definitely a new author with lots of potential!
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
How I read this: book gifted by the author

★★★★✬ 4.5 stars

Duckett and Dyer was the wackiest read ever!! It has funny, it has serious, and it even has a bigger plot coming for the next books. I am excited to read the next ones, I gotta say! If you’re looking for some fun evening reading, you should definitely pick this one up – it’s worth it. Especially if you’re a fan of the scifi comedy novel.

What I loved about this book was how easily it read, how wacky it got and how witty it was! I love G.M.
Rebecca | Velvet Opus
"Stephanie leapt headfirst into the roiling tides of the space-time continuum, letting the blue energies wash over her body."

Have you ever read something where you loved the end so much you wished THAT was the whole book? That’s how I felt reading this.

"It may have been the end, but at least it was a pretty badass way to go."

Michael Duckett works a dead-end-job, lives with his childhood best friend Stephanie Dyer, and has finally scored a date with the girl from the laundrette. But there’s a pro
Bear
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural, scifi
It was just dumb. I wanted to like this one too but a cool mystery with ridiculous universe hopping and ridiculous versions of people AND JUST BEING TOTALLY FINE WITH EXPLODING PEOPLE????? Ugh

EDIT (feb 2020): okay some people are liking this so i guess i should put in a little more effort into the review?
first of all it's weird that the author liked it. don't like that.

second: i THOUGHT i'd get a supernatural comedy/noir where solving the mystery of why there was a bunch of flyers and info about
Elizabeth Tabler
Oh good lord, where do I start?

If you think you know where this story is going after 50 pages, you don’t. You just don’t. This is like taking your seemingly innocent brain, smashing it against a frying pan while simultaneously reciting Shakespeare and doing calculus.

It is pants-on-your-head-crazy and works perfectly.

“She turned back to the doorman, and everything fell out of Michael’s hands, “Hello. My name is Jackie Steele,” Stephanie said, clearly having put a lot of thought into a ridiculou
C. S.
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, netgalley
This was a good read. Mostly light and fun, it explored a lot of time travel and alternate universe tropes in a zany, tongue-in-cheek style. The characters were interesting, although they felt a little archetypal at times.

My major issues with the book, and what dropped it from four stars to three is that occasionally it was just too much. The storyline rambled and felt incoherent at times, and the attitude with which the characters approached the ideosyncracies of their situation felt unnatural
Anangsha Alammyan
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this gem of a book as part of Indie April and boy, I'm so glad I did.

The plot is endearing and hilarious. The protagonists Stephanie and 'Mike-ster' are wonderfully written and they'll stay with you after the book is done.

The author has a confident voice and his writing is impeccable which doesn't make the book read quite like it's a debut novel. Would definitely recommend for lovers of humour and science fiction.
BT Harris
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny and Thrilling

Very easy read, full of laughs, suspense, and everything needed for a invigorating sci fi mystery story. Could not stop reading.
Courtney
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, sci-fi, humour
This book was… infuriating. Because I loved the story, and the wacky sense of humour, but wanted to slap the editor who didn’t tighten up a LOT on the writing style. Argh!! Despite its many flaws, it's a lot of fun, and I rather hope the promised sequel does appear.

Full review is up on my blog.
Holly (The Grimdragon)
“The two did not say another word to each other and, over the next hour, fell into dreamless sleeps. This could have been attributed to the utter exhaustion of finally expressing honest feelings after two decades of friendship, or the carbon monoxide build-up in the cave due to the fire.”

Duckett and Dyer: Dicks For Hire has a certain ring to it, no?

This debut novel, self-published by G.M. Nair, is the first in a series. Blending humor and mystery, time travel and buddy cop noir (did I just make
WS_BOOKCLUB
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, comedy
Thank you to Ganesh Nair for providing me with a copy of this book, in exchange for my honest opinion. All guffaws are my own.

When Ganesh Nair emailed me, he assured me that Duckett and Dyer: Dicks for Hire was witty, sarcastic, AND a book. He was correct on all counts. He did, however, fail to mention the choking hazard from laughing too hard. I could have died. I feel like there’s a law suit in there somewhere.

I’m so excited to be doing my first buddy read post with Beth from Before We Go. We
Evelyn Chartres
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading Ducket & Dyer: Dicks for Hire, an adventure/science fiction story written by G.M. Nair. This story revolves around a pair of life-long friends who are about to embark on an adventure. Problem is, they just don’t know it yet.

Those who read the blurb before buying will not be disappointed. This story drives through space, time, alternate universes and people to deliver non-stop action that will leave you baffled as to where exactly in this story you are.

The author’s creativ
Helen Whistberry
This book fits right into a genre I love which I'm not sure exactly what to call but that I describe to myself as snarky sci-fi with a mushy heart. Love books with smart humor, adventure, speculative science, mystery, and flawed but lovable characters that we actually care about, and this one ticks all those boxes for me. Michael and Stephanie are best friends who aren't always on the same page. When they get dropped into a time-traveling conundrum that threatens the very existence of the univer ...more
Alana Bloom
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Michael and Stephanie (Duckett and Dyer respectively) are both a bit of a mess in their own ways. Michael is a lovable curmudgeon. Life has kicked him a few times. Stephanie has zero interest in being a responsible member of the community, although you have to give her some leeway once learning her back story. She is incredibly funny, has zero filter, and generally marches to the beat of her own strange drum. Their friendship is a bit rocky and watching it evolve throughout the story was a bit o ...more
Mikhail
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, loved the humor, the story. Loved both Duckett AND Dyer...well, maybe less so Dyer - like, only on some days, though, not all of them, because, you know, on other days I would love Dyer MORE...I guess it's like being a parent, sometimes you hate one child more than the other, then you change your mind and decide it's the OTHER one that's the true turd -

ANYWAY: loved the book. Go get it, people!
Stacy Fetters
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Maybe you guys just want people to burst in on you having sex in front of a giant mysterious vortex. I don't know how you get your rocks off, but tricking us is just not cool."

This was one extremely bizarre masterpiece. I've never read anything like this and I loved it. It was wacky, hilarious, and just plain off the wall. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting but it wasn't that. I can't wait to read more by this author.

Duckett and Dyer are now my two favorite Private Detectives of my gene
Kevin
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The angel spawn of Hitchhikers Guide and Quantum Leap!
Andrew Cannizzaro
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'll be upfront, the author of this book is one of my best friends. But because of that I'd have zero issue telling him, or you potential buyer, that this book was terrible or not worth your money. Luckily, that is so far from the truth. I had read drafts of this novel before reading the final, published book. I'd talked through ideas and challenges that he was facing as he wrote. You'd think I would have been tired of the story by the time I got to the finished product. But no, I *loved* readin ...more
Margaret Adelle
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'll admit, I'm not the most up to date on the multiverse theory. And this book definitely doesn't help explain it. But then, it was never meant to.

This is a kind of Rick and Morty-esque universe-hopping action comedy, only instead of grandfather and grandson, it's two best friends. The characters do feel like caricatures at the beginning, but then they're meant to. And the growth they each go through, as well as the growth of the relationship between them, gives a lot of depth to their arcs.

M
Arin Barry
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only looked at the title before picking up this book, I mean look at it! I’m already intrigued and I know I’m going to be laughing (hopefully due to some inappropriate jokes) and boy did this exceed my expectations.

The plot is hilarious and so endearing. The author exudes confidence through their writing and it was a really refreshing read.

This book is definitely a gem and I’m so glad I found it, will definitely be buying it ASAP.

I received a free eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest
Jason Greene
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A masterfully woven tale with a mix of mystery, drama, and comedy that will always leave you eager to get to the next page. It's easy to read and get into, but has a deep story that will keep you thinking and leave you wanting more.
Arina
A story of intricate characters that takes a refreshing approach to our contemporary world, plunging it into the chaos of the multiverse theory.

This multiverse exchange was an ingenious way to merge a kaleidoscope of storylines and ideas into one cohesive journey. The madness of it all reeled me in with a snap (the snap being my aged back cracking as the book pulled me in), exploring the multiplicity of existence. I’m talking about all sorts of existential dread and a powerful message on how no
Susan Liberty
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Duckett & Dyer: Dicks for Hire by G.M. Nair is an imaginative novel revolving around two childhood best friends. The story encompasses best-friend angst, time travel, portals to alternate universes, and scary creatures.

Michael Duckett’s character is a responsible introvert with self-esteem and anxiety issues.

Stephanie Dyer’s character is irresponsible, care-free, throw caution to the wind, and enjoy life…. Or is she? The readers are treated to Stephanie’s real personality in the epilogue.

To Mich
A.R. Hellbender
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
How do I even begin to describe how this book even works the way it does?
This is a great friendship story and fast-paced adventure wrapped in a bizarre plotline that really keeps you reading.
Halfway through the book, the story suddenly takes a bizarre turn & shows us crazy inter dimensional travel & predatory hamburgers when the story up to that point had taken place in the world as we know it. This would have seemed too jarring & out of the blue if not for the fact that the story had still been
Jessica
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a gem! This book was the perfect mix of silly and serious, and I was so impressed by the way all the different little things that happened throughout the story actually came together in a way that made sense both in relation to the story itself and the personalities of the characters. Especially all the little things, like the reason for Matteo's inventions - that was hilarious, and exactly the kind of thing a human would absolutely do.

The one-liners were genuinely funny and not jarring. Th
Jo
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really struggled to finish this book. I forced myself to finish it but it took me 14 days. It actually impacted my desire to read books, and that is never a good sign.

Duckett & Dyer: Dicks For Hire starts out well. We're introduced to Michael, who is socially awkward but kind of endearing in a weird sort of way. Then we meet Stephanie, Michael's high school friend and flatmate... Stephanie clearly has some issues but is interesting and quirky to begin with. However, about a quarter of the way
Annie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Duckett & Dyer: Dicks For Hire is a humor/SF/mystery/multiverse novel which explores and explodes a lot of the standard tropes without being ridiculing or mean. Released 1st April 2019, it's 300 pages and available in hardback, paperback, and ebook formats.

This is a debut novel which honestly doesn't feel like the author's first published work. It could be that he's found a perfect editor and a gang of proofreaders, but the book is well written
Heather
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it
So... At first I thought this was not my type of giggles so I didn't think I could properly appreciate the humour used in the story, but then I got used to Stephanie and I was laughing out loud a lot because apparently I have a very immature sense of humour. Hands down this was one of the weirdest books I've ever read. Giant monster hamburgers with teeth? Men with cow heads and eyeballs on their fingers? It was a weird ride through interdimentional space. So much out of my comfort zone that I've ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Reviewed by Tremendous Book Reviews 3 11 Jul 08, 2020 12:07AM

• Moses & Mac (Vatican Archaeological Service Book 1)
  • Forbidden Birth (Chris Ravello Medical Thriller #2)
  • Monsters at Dusk
  • I Know You
  • The Boy Who Dreamt the World (The Daydreamer Chronicles, #1)
  • The House of Twelve (The Houses of Penance, #1)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • Broken Hero
  • Voice of War
  • The Neon God: A Novel
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • Retribution (Jason Conrad Thriller #1)
  • Between a Rock and a Deadly Place (Cedar Fish Campground Series Book 1)
  • Healing the Heart of a Cowboy (McGuire Family, #1)
  • Make Me No Grave
  • The Neighbour's Cat
  • The Dark Web Murders (The Inspector Sheehan Murders #4)
  • Disenchanted (Disenchanted, #1)