Start by marking “Wildfire” as Want to Read:
Wildfire

Wildfire

Into the Wild meets The Serpent King in this story about Annie and Pete, two best friends on a dangerous and emotional trek through the woods.

Annie and Pete have been best friends since they were little. They know each other better than anyone, and they've been on more adventures than they can count--they even have a notebook filled with all the times they've
Published January 28th 2020 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Wildfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildfire

Start your review of Wildfire
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book was.. strange. I definitely didn't hate it, but I feel like I went into it thinking it was going to be something different than it was. I thought this was going to have a lot more to do with the main character's unrequited feelings for her friend, but it ended up having way more to do with the survivalist elements and dealing with the loss of a loved one. With that being said, if you're into hard-hitting contemporaries that don't shy away from giving you all the feels, this is probably ...more
Sarah Swann
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This one was rough starting out. It went into so many things from the past that these friends experienced that it was almost distracting. But when we got into the hiking and the woods with them in present time, I was much more interested. This deals with grief more than anything. And if you like hiking or camping books, you’ll enjoy this. I was expecting something more, so this one was a middle-of-the-road book.

*Thanks to the publisher for an early copy to read and review!
Jen Ryland
Wow. That was a powerful and intense read. Beautiful writing and themes of the brutality of nature and life. Not as much about fire (or romance/friendship) as I expected, and much more about life and death themes.

On that note, if death (human and animal death from from various unnatural causes, described in pretty explicit detail) is a sensitive issue for you, that is a large part of the story.

But to me, a really impressive book. Longer review on my blog on Jan 26.

Read more of my reviews on
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

2.5*

Wildfireand I had a very tumultuous relationship. I fell in love, deeply and quickly. And when the love ended, it, like its name suggests, crashed and burned. My problems may not be a problem for you though, and there are things to love about this one, which leaves me incredibly conflicted. I'll do my best to sort it out.

The First Half

First and foremost, I am a sucker for a survival
Joanna Bennett
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
eARC provided by publisher through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

The cover was the first thing that made me want to read this book. As I read the synopsis I could see myself enjoying this one, especially since it is a unique setting. Here’s the thing, I wasn’t sure what to expect but with this book being on the short side it was hard to connect with the characters.

The book is under 300 pages. That’s not a lot of time for a well-developed plot and character development. The synopsis also
Erika Sarutobi
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I AM NOT OKAY

RTC
Sacha
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ria the Reader
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this one. Review to come!
Christine (Purplemanatees)
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Title: Wildfire
Author: Carrie Mac
Pages: 272
Genre: Slice of Life, Tragedy, Survival
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

This is an Advanced Readers Copy. That means that this is not the final version of the book. Therefore, facts and quotes are subject to change in the published book.

Release date:01/20/2020

Do not be deceived as this is not just about a Wildfire.

This is about Annie and Pete and their friendship that goes beyond that of any I've ever seen. After the recent passing of Gigi, Annie's grandmother,
Dana
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arcs-read
Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced review copy!

CW: Family death. Suicide. Animal death. Gruesome death.

How do you write a review for a book that left you wiping hot tears at 2 in the morning?

In short, Wildfire is the story of Annie and her best friend Pete.

... It's never that simple.

First of all, despite the promise of Annie's unrequited love and hand holding in the synopsis, this isn't a romance novel. I picked it up thinking that that was what I was getting. It's not what I got, but it
Allison (SPELLBOUND READER)
2 disappointing stars
Thank you NetGally, Random House Children’s, Alfred A. Knopf Books for sending me an arc for an honest review. Release date Jan 28, 2020.
Let me start off by saying that hard hitting contemporary is not my go to genre. I can see why a lot of people would adore this story, but it was not for me.
This book had a lot going for it. It has an adventure/survival plot, complicated relationship between friends, unrequited love (which one YA, is unheard of), and raw - hard hitting
pia (pixiepia)
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this book but it was definitely different than what I expected. this is a survivalist story that is more of that than a hard-hitting contemporary although it is both. I didn't realize how much I cared for these characters and their stories until the end and I was CRYING. The central friendship was really strong and I loved how the book explored friendship and family being of equal importance. The only problem I had with this book is that I felt like everything was going wrong. It ...more
Andria Sedig
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really, really loved this book. It was moving, griping. I laughed, I cried. The survival aspects of this story were well done. The pacing was strong, I never felt frustrated by the flashbacks. Each one felt relevant to the action of the story in the presence. I also really felt like the character development within the book felt realistic. The story never felt like it was going to end with Annie being "over" Gigi's death, or that that was ever expected. It allowed for her to heal and grow and ...more
Emily Young
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
This book is intense. Much more intense than I expected. The first chapter drops you in the midst of Annie and Pete's hike before jumping back to the beginning, and I was completely hooked. I was desperate to know how they got to that point, and where they would possibly go from there.

I think its important to note that Wildfire is much more about friendship, survival, and grief than it is unrequited love. The synopsis gave the impression that this would be an intense romance of best friends
Michelle (Love, Stars and Books)
(I received an eARC from NetGalley for a voluntary and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

Book review: Wildfire by Carrie Mac (2 stars)

Wildfire by Carrie Mac
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Rating: 2/5 stars

(Review)
(DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

I was drawn to the cover of this book, but unfortunately, did not enjoy this book. The story is told in non-linear form and we started in the middle which left me confused for a long time and off-kilter until I
Rose
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
To be honest, this book was disappointing. I expected so much going into this book such as an interesting backstory with funny, relatable characters and an adventure. However, this was not to be.
The beginning of the story is very slow with Annie remembering everyone in her life who had passed away. This part did not add any character depth or understanding. I wasn't quite sure why it was there.
I couldn't connect with the characters at all and as a result, there was no emotional impact at any
Heather
Feb 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
I finished this book several days ago, and have been struggling with how to rate it, because as a rule, I generally choose to not rate a book at all rather than give it only one star, but I found this story incredibly disturbing and problematic, so I'm going to break my own rule.

First of all, I assumed from the cover and the blurb this would be an adventurous story of survival, and love, and overall a positive, uplifting book. It is NOT. I mean there's adventure, and some survival, but this is
Jessica
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This review and more can be found at www.thebookbratz.blogspot.com.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, and let me tell you, I am SO glad that I did! When they first reached out for me and told me the premise of the story, I was immediately on board, because you all know that I'm such a huge fan of YA contemporaries, especially ones involving some element of romance or pining, so this one was right up my alley. And let me tell you, it ended up being
Paige Green
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Wildfire

Author: Carrie Mac

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 4/5

Diversity: Broken families and one Indian side character

Publication Date: January 28, 2020

Genre: YA Contemporary

Recommended Age: 16+ (gore, language, drugs, alcohol, death, grief, and sex mentions)

Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

Pages: 272

Amazon Link

Synopsis: Into the Wild meets The Serpent King in this story about Annie and
Brenna Clark
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Netgalley for this ARC! I have a huge soft spot for the untamed bits of the world, and always have. I feel more at home in the woods than anywhere else, but despite this longing to be away from the city and the people in it, I don't really do much hiking or camping or anything of the like. I'd like to say it's because I don't have opportunities to, but mostly it is out of sheer laziness and lack of training than anything else. So, I love to immerse myself in stories like ...more
Viviane Crystal
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pete and Annie have been best friends for years. In that time their mothers have died and Annie’s beloved grandmother, Gigi, died of cancer. While Gigi was dying, choosing to starve herself to death rather than be put in a hospice or nursing home, Annie stopped going to school and is determined not to return. Pete wants her to go back as does her father but finally they accept Annie’s decision. Instead Pete and Annie set off on a ten-day backpack hiking trip through the Washington mountains, ...more
Kailyn Bettle
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Annie has been numb since her grandmother died. She failed her junior year, gets high all the time, and just sits around watching old movies. She doesn’t even want to go to Fire Camp anymore, something she and her best friend Pete have been planning all year. Pete knows the only way to get her to want to start living again is to go camping, so he surprises her with his plan to hike part of the Pacific Northwest Trail to get to Fire Camp. What he doesn’t tell her though (or anyone else) is that ...more
Jill Jemmett
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a heartbreaking story about friendship.

Annie and Pete are best friends who have experienced many tragedies in their young lives. They have both lost their mothers and Annie’s grandmother. They have also almost died many times. In this story, they embark on a hike through the forest. They intend to end their journey at a camp, where they will learn to fight forest fires, but they have to face many obstacles along the way.

I loved Annie’s narrative voice. At the beginning, the story jumped
Gina Adams
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I was provided with an e-arc by the publisher and netgalley.

I quite don’t know how to feel about what I read. I liked the storytelling tool of the beginning chapter being a flash into what’s going on flowing back around into the beginning of the story and how they got there.

I hate realistic stories.
Don’t misinterpret that. I love contemporary and I love when characters and actions are realistic.
But when fucked up things happen in books for stupid reasons or for no good reason at all other than
Alexys_Tenshi
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: pdf, netgalley
3.5

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me an advance copy in exchange for this review!

Wildfire by Carrie Mac is a book about friendship, love, soulmate and days into the woods.
I didn’t know what to expect from this book but i liked it.

We follow Pete and Annie's lives, best friend since childhood and maybe something more... but they don't want to "crash" - in a million little pieces - their friendship.

I like the strange passages between the present and the past, mostly in the
Maria H.
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
TW: grief/loss of a loved one, survival

This is more of a 2.5 stars than a 2, but wow, that was a lot to take in for such a short book.

This book was by no means terrible, and I definitely got the feels at the end, but overall this didn't work for me. My main issue was character building. Who were Annie and Pete? I know they were best friends, I know they love each other, but I'm not sure we ever had enough time with them sans-survival-mode to truly grasp their character and motivations.

Also,
Kenzi Butler
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book way more than I expected to. I thought it was going to be a cheesy love story between two best friends, but it turned into so much more than that. It made me laugh, and it broke my heart. I loved Annie and Pete and Gigi and all of the characters, even Annie's mother, who you really weren't supposed to like. But you saw a piece of every single character in Annie, which I adored. I read this book in one sitting because I couldn't get enough.

I was worried the author was going to
Delfina
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was originally attractive to this book because of the great cover, I loved the color scheme of it. I also live in northern California where we seemed to have wildfires every other week, so that also peaked my interesting.

This was a lot more hard hitting than I thought it would be. I went into this book expecting something else, but I did like it. I thought it was going to be about two best friends that go camping and fall in love while facing a natural disaster.

Overall, it was heart breaking
SiilBookishPastrychef
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book caught my eye on the cover, I thought it was a teenage love story, but it wasn't, it's a little heartbreaking and a little sad book, in some parts it made me laugh and broke my little heart, I liked the characters and I really hateed the mom of Annie, I think very few will like that character.
I also liked how there were flashbacks in the story to understand the plot, and they're also touching.
I also really liked Annie and Gigi's friendship, it reminded me of my best friend from high
Yentl ♥
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the book and it was well-written. It has a lot of tough topics, but I didn't connect to the characters very well. I definitely thought it would be a lighter read, but it was hard to put down once I got started.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

• Tweet Cute
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • The Lucky Ones
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Break in Case of Emergency
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
Four-eyed bookword, tattooed queer, storyteller nomad mama to two unschooled earthlings, based in East Van, overlooking the shipyard cranes and always ready for the next most amazing giant tiny little big wonderful something to capture my attention.

Or:

When Carrie Mac was born, her right eye gawked off in one direction while her left eye looked the other way. Well meaning adults thought she was a