Start by marking “Wildfire” as Want to Read:
Wildfire

Wildfire

Into the Wild meets The Serpent King in this story about Annie and Pete, two best friends on a dangerous and emotional trek through the woods.

Annie and Pete have been best friends since they were little. They know each other better than anyone, and they've been on more adventures than they can count--they even have a notebook filled with all the times they've
Expected publication: January 28th 2020 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Wildfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildfire

Start your review of Wildfire
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book was.. strange. I definitely didn't hate it, but I feel like I went into it thinking it was going to be something different than it was. I thought this was going to have a lot more to do with the main character's unrequited feelings for her friend, but it ended up having way more to do with the survivalist elements and dealing with the loss of a loved one. With that being said, if you're into hard-hitting contemporaries that don't shy away from giving you all the feels, this is probably ...more
Sarah Swann
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This one was rough starting out. It went into so many things from the past that these friends experienced that it was almost distracting. But when we got into the hiking and the woods with them in present time, I was much more interested. This deals with grief more than anything. And if you like hiking or camping books, you’ll enjoy this. I was expecting something more, so this one was a middle-of-the-road book.

*Thanks to the publisher for an early copy to read and review!
Sacha
Dec 21, 2019 added it
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC. I’ll post a review upon publication.
Ria the Reader
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this one. Review to come!
Christine (Purplemanatees)
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Title: Wildfire
Author: Carrie Mac
Pages: 272
Genre: Slice of Life, Tragedy, Survival
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

This is an Advanced Readers Copy. That means that this is not the final version of the book. Therefore, facts and quotes are subject to change in the published book.

Release date:01/20/2020

Do not be deceived as this is not just about a Wildfire.

This is about Annie and Pete and their friendship that goes beyond that of any I've ever seen. After the recent passing of Gigi, Annie's grandmother,
Allison (SPELLBOUND READER)
2 disappointing stars
Thank you NetGally, Random House Children’s, Alfred A. Knopf Books for sending me an arc for an honest review. Release date Jan 28, 2020.
Let me start off by saying that hard hitting contemporary is not my go to genre. I can see why a lot of people would adore this story, but it was not for me.
This book had a lot going for it. It has an adventure/survival plot, complicated relationship between friends, unrequited love (which one YA, is unheard of), and raw - hard hitting
Andria Sedig
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really, really loved this book. It was moving, griping. I laughed, I cried. The survival aspects of this story were well done. The pacing was strong, I never felt frustrated by the flashbacks. Each one felt relevant to the action of the story in the presence. I also really felt like the character development within the book felt realistic. The story never felt like it was going to end with Annie being "over" Gigi's death, or that that was ever expected. It allowed for her to heal and grow and ...more
Joanna Bennett
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was hard to connect to the characters and the development was just meh.

Review to Come Closer to Publication date.
Emily Young
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
This book is intense. Much more intense than I expected. The first chapter drops you in the midst of Annie and Pete's hike before jumping back to the beginning, and I was completely hooked. I was desperate to know how they got to that point, and where they would possibly go from there.

I think its important to note that Wildfire is much more about friendship, survival, and grief than it is unrequited love. The synopsis gave the impression that this would be an intense romance of best friends
Michelle (Love, Stars and Books)
(I received an eARC from NetGalley for a voluntary and honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

Book review: Wildfire by Carrie Mac (2 stars)

Wildfire by Carrie Mac
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Rating: 2/5 stars

(Review)
(DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

I was drawn to the cover of this book, but unfortunately, did not enjoy this book. The story is told in non-linear form and we started in the middle which left me confused for a long time and off-kilter until I
Angelina
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-2019
I'm debating between a 2 and a 3-star rating because while I don't think this book was particularly for me, I felt a lot of strong positive emotions at the end.

Full RTC
Rose
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
To be honest, this book was disappointing. I expected so much going into this book such as an interesting backstory with funny, relatable characters and an adventure. However, this was not to be.
The beginning of the story is very slow with Annie remembering everyone in her life who had passed away. This part did not add any character depth or understanding. I wasn't quite sure why it was there.
I couldn't connect with the characters at all and as a result, there was no emotional impact at any
Alexys_Tenshi
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, pdf
3.5

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me an advance copy in exchange for this review!

Wildfire by Carrie Mac is a book about friendship, love, soulmate and days into the woods.
I didn’t know what to expect from this book but i liked it.

We follow Pete and Annie's lives, best friend since childhood and maybe something more... but they don't want to "crash" - in a million little pieces - their friendship.

I like the strange passages between the present and the past, mostly in the
Maria H.
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
TW: grief/loss of a loved one, survival

This is more of a 2.5 stars than a 2, but wow, that was a lot to take in for such a short book.

This book was by no means terrible, and I definitely got the feels at the end, but overall this didn't work for me. My main issue was character building. Who were Annie and Pete? I know they were best friends, I know they love each other, but I'm not sure we ever had enough time with them sans-survival-mode to truly grasp their character and motivations.

Also,
Gina Adams
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I was provided with an e-arc by the publisher and netgalley.

I quite don’t know how to feel about what I read. I liked the storytelling tool of the beginning chapter being a flash into what’s going on flowing back around into the beginning of the story and how they got there.

I hate realistic stories.
Don’t misinterpret that. I love contemporary and I love when characters and actions are realistic.
But when fucked up things happen in books for stupid reasons or for no good reason at all other than
Kenzi Butler
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book way more than I expected to. I thought it was going to be a cheesy love story between two best friends, but it turned into so much more than that. It made me laugh, and it broke my heart. I loved Annie and Pete and Gigi and all of the characters, even Annie's mother, who you really weren't supposed to like. But you saw a piece of every single character in Annie, which I adored. I read this book in one sitting because I couldn't get enough.

I was worried the author was going to
SiilBookishPastrychef
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book caught my eye on the cover, I thought it was a teenage love story, but it wasn't, it's a little heartbreaking and a little sad book, in some parts it made me laugh and broke my little heart, I liked the characters and I really hateed the mom of Annie, I think very few will like that character.
I also liked how there were flashbacks in the story to understand the plot, and they're also touching.
I also really liked Annie and Gigi's friendship, it reminded me of my best friend from high
Delfina
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was originally attractive to this book because of the great cover, I loved the color scheme of it. I also live in northern California where we seemed to have wildfires every other week, so that also peaked my interesting.

This was a lot more hard hitting than I thought it would be. I went into this book expecting something else, but I did like it. I thought it was going to be about two best friends that go camping and fall in love while facing a natural disaster.

Overall, it was heart breaking
Sandie, Teen Lit Rocks
I cried through parts of this book, it was that emotional. The tagline that it's "'Into the Wild' meets 'The Serpent King'" really held true for me. I love books about close friendships and adventures, and this one did not disappoint. Although I was mad at the author about something, it was so well-written and impressive I've decided to read more by Carrie Mac.
Tierra
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was nothing like I expected when I read the synopsis. And at times during reading it that was both good and bad. I think the author did a good job of crafting a well written story. But at times things seemed very unrealistic and brought me out of the tale. Overall I felt a deep connection to Annie and Pete.
But the most important thing about this book is that it isn't a love story but it is a book full of love.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an arc.
Sarai Henderson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an amazingly intense story, filled with pain, hope and love. The main characters decide to go on a camping trip that would change their lives forever. This book was rough to get through, but in a good way. It gave me the feels and kept me guessing as to what was going to happen. The love aspect was almost secondary to the amazing trip they are going on, but it was nice that it didn't overshadow the story as so many authors like to do.

I have to admit, I cried at the end, but a story
Sara Thrasher
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading Wildfire. I was hooked within the first few pages but I will admit, the story slowed down as it dove back into the past. I think a lot of YA readers will enjoy this book and specifically become invested in Annie and Pete’s relationship. I expected this to be a typical, light hearted contemporary YA read but it actually dealt with grief and the loss of a loved one as well as survival in the wilderness.
The plot and general style of writing was pretty straightforward, in my
Martha

• The Lucky Ones
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Drowning With Others
  • What Unbreakable Looks Like
  • The Second Home
  • Nowhere on Earth
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • All the Bad Apples
  • We Met in December
  • Lore Olympus
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • Room to Breathe
Four-eyed bookword, tattooed queer, storyteller nomad mama to two unschooled earthlings, based in East Van, overlooking the shipyard cranes and always ready for the next most amazing giant tiny little big wonderful something to capture my attention.

Or:

When Carrie Mac was born, her right eye gawked off in one direction while her left eye looked the other way. Well meaning adults thought she was a