Start by marking “King and King” as Want to Read:
King and King

King and King

Once there lived a lovelorn prince whose mother decreed that he must marry by the end of the summer. So began the search to find the prince's perfect match and lo and behold......his name was Lee. You are cordially invited to join the merriest, most unexpected wedding of the year. KING & KING is a contemporary tale about finding true love and living happily ever after, ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Tricycle Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about King and King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King and King

Chelsea
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yay, now my kids can read M/M romance with me :-D

I love that this story is just the classic fairytale plot line but with two princes at the end. I think not changing it up from the typical Disney HEA makes it much easier for younger kids to understand the normality of gay relationships.

Unfortunately the pictures didn't appeal to my kids (or me) very much so they weren't completely engaged.
Book's Calling
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Milá dětská knížka pro děti o gayích. Víc takových!
مــــــروة
إنها قصة الأطفال المعتادة، الملكة التي تحث ابنها على الزواج لأنه لابد أن يتزوج ليخلفها على العرش، ترسل الملكة للممالك المجاورة مطالبة أن يرسلوا أميراتهم ليختار الأمير من بينهن، تصل الأميرات، ويسخر الأمير من واحدة تلو الأخرى، وحتى والدته لا تبدي اقتناعها بأي واحدة.

ثم يعلن الحاجب أن ثمة أميرة واحدة باقية، تدخل الأميرة الجميلة ذات الشعر الذهبي في صحبة شقيقها الأمير، فما يلبث أميرنا أن يقع في الحب على الفور، طبعا مع شقيق الأميرة

تبارك الأم الزواج، لم تعترض، بل إنها ذرفت دمعتين تأثراً في حفل الزواج، و
Ezekiel
Sep 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
King & King tells the story of a young prince whose mother (the elderly Queen) would like to retire and demands he marry in order to take the throne (whut???). The Queen sends letters to all the local princesses to get them to come and basically audition to become Queen. Apparently the Prince is gay however, as he falls in love with the Prince that accompanies his sister to audition. There's a happy wedding.

BLAH BLAH. This is a "pro-gay" book in one of the most misogynistic ways possible (an
Katy Vance
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
After reading this book, I was honestly a little disappointed. The premise seemed so fantastic that I really wanted to like it. And the artwork is fantastical, which made me want to like it even more. But the thing I am reminding myself of, is that as we get more and more lgbtq themed children's literature, some of it is bound to be just okay. And this book was okay. It's nice that their is the premise that a Prince could like and fall in love with another price. But I would have a liked a littl ...more
Kaethe
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I didn't especially care for the art, but that isn't really the point. I encouraged the local library to lay it in after a local teacher was fired for reading it aloud to his class. Of course, this was before the Supremes handed down their decision which permitted all consenting adults to choose whomever they want to marry. I have no sympathy with bigots pushing their discrimination in public schools, and I hope that teacher earns a really hefty settlement from the state for wrongful firing.

I wi
Nisha Patel
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This beautifully illustrated story is about a young prince whose mother is fed up of him and wants him to get married. The queen brought forward many princesses from far and wide but here was absolutely nothing and nobody that sparked any attraction between them and the young prince. One day a young princess comes along to meet the prince with her brother, “the prince felt a stir in his heart . . . It was love at first sight." (The princess, of course, looks confused.) The story tells of a whirl ...more
Jenny
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When a prince is forced to marry by his mother the old Queen, he’s not too happy. Princesses come from around the world to meet the Prince and none of them are quite right. But just when the Queen and the Prince begin to think that all is lost, Princess Madeline shows up with her brother Prince Lee, and things take an unexpected, happy turn.
De Haan and Nijland’s crazy mixed media collages provide just the right background for this heart warming story of a Prince forced to marry against his will
Michelle Knudsen
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Maria
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book because it is a very frequently challenged children's book. The story is about a Queen who decides to retire, so she tells her son, the Prince, that it's time for him to get married and take over as King. She calls princesses from all around the world to come meet the Prince, but he doesn't like any of them. Instead, he falls in love with Prince Lee, so they get married and rule the kingdom together as King and King so the Queen can enjoy her retirement.

Obviously, this book gets
Jonathan
Sep 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
So let me see if I have this right. We want a gay prince love story, so the way they go about that is by making fun of almost all the women in the book? This is terribly disappointing.
Rebecca Drake
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Be sure to research why each is controversial, and state your view about using it in the classroom (for full credit on Goodreads, you will need to include why it’s challenged, and your opinion on the book in terms of usage)

I read the King and King as my first controversial book. It was a cute story over all, but not really my favorite book.

This book was challenged because of a complaint about the fact that the story is about two princes who fall in love. When this was challenged, people were sti
Baby Bookworm
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! So due to family stuff, we haven’t been as active in Pride Month this year as we wanted to be. Still, we wanted to make sure we read at least one LGBTQ book before the month was over, so for today we chose King And King by Linda de Haan and Stern Nijland, a fairytale story that proves true love always wins.

The Queen has decided to retire, so she will step down from the throne an
Ashley Chance
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
'King and King' is a story about a Prince who lives with his mother, the Queen. The Queen has had enough of her son’s bachelor lifestyle and decides to confront him about wedding plans. After some deliberation the Prince agrees to wed and the Queen hastily makes arrangements for courtship with Princesses near and far.

The Prince meets many Princesses’ but none of them seem to make him happy. Suddenly one more Princess arrives, Princess Madeleine and her brother Princess Lee. The Prince’s heart le
Mariela Berrocal
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-books
I just read this book which is about a queen who is tired of ruling her kingdom and would like her son to marry a princess so that they can take over the empire. The queen tries to introduce her son to different princesses but the prince is not falling for any of them. Until one day, one princess came with her brother to meet the prince. This is when the prince and the brother fall in love at first sight. The book has a happy ending. They end up getting married and mom is accepting of her son's ...more
Dolly
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I discovered this book on a display of 'Banned Books' at our local library. The LGBT theme and same-sex marriage is the trigger for the request to ban the book, and I am sad that books like this are still considered controversial.

The narrative is fun and humorous and the mixed media illustrations are colorful and whimsical, if a bit rudimentary.

I was charmed by Princess Dolly, of course, and loved how she danced with crown kitty in the church aisle during the wedding, even if she did not captu
Nicole
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My personal reaction to this book was I thought King and King was a great information book for young children. For example, showing that having two kings is okay really highlight how everyone can love someone different and they do not have to look or be a certain way.

The purpose of the book would be for read aloud enriching purposes. This would be suitable for first grade.I think this would be a good book to read when we are talking about family or how every family can be different. Kind and Ki
Kaley
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece
I felt mix feelings over this book, but overall I liked the message behind it. As you can tell by the title, it was going to be about two kings, and as the book goes on you find out that the prince marries another male. One thing I liked about it was how the prince came to realization that he liked the same sex, and eventually ended up being happy with it and marrying him. I liked this because a lot of the times kids don't know why they don't feel attracted to the opposite sex because they aren' ...more
Jennie
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
A prince begins seeing suitors in order to appease the queen. After several visits by eligible princesses, the prince sees someone who catches his eye – a handsome prince.

While I loved the premise of this book, the illustrations are hideous. The drawing styles of the two artists are incompatible and inconsistent – leaving wacky collage style pages that are grotesque and ugly. However, the story is adorable and it’s a nice book for teaching tolerance to children. The two princes’ marriage is tre
Sarah Wiwchar
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PreK-Grade 3
Again, a very good follow-up book to Tango, A tale of two moms, and A tale of two dads about a prince who "never cared much for princesses." Also, the queen is a fricken hoot. I like the style of the pictures and the way the words are displayed on the page. I am very happy and excited to say that after reading a few gay/lesbian books, the grade 1s now just say randomly "because it's ok for a boy to marry a boy!" And I just say "yes it is" and that makes me super happy!

Very short, too.

The only th
Margaret
The Queen wants to retire, but to do so, her son must marry. But he doesn't like any of the princesses that perform to win his hand, but he does like a prince. I really love the LGBTQ theme. I'm surprised there aren't more children's fairytale picture books with LGBTQ characters. I wasn't a fan of the art, which often didn't depict the words on the page, making it difficult for emergent readers to pick up on what the words mean.
Anna
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-for-baby
Meh. I didn't care for the art. I had inflated expectations for this-- in the end, the only thing it subverted was the expectation that the crown prince would marry a woman; otherwise it was a bit paint-by-numbers for my taste. On the one hand, the Queen has been married and remarried and appears to be a single parent and also a ruler in her own right (yay), on the other hand marriage still seems to be a prerequisite for rule?
Meggie Donovan
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a book that I first encountered a few years ago. This is a classic fairy tale-- a prince comes of age and he needs to find a suitable woman to be his queen. The prince meets a series of women and likes none of them until he meets the brother of one of the princesses.

A touching and poignant version of a stand-by classic this book would be excellent for students up through 4th grade. Not to mention the pictures are beautiful.
noelle
Jan 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: for curious
Shelves: lgbtq, children
If I were a kid, I would have not liked this. Main reason? The drawings are just awful... The story's kind of simple an boring (I prefered Andersen and brothers Grimm). And all poor princesses are shown as quirky creatures... I smell something misogynistic.

For me it is not a controversial, just boooring stuff.
If you want to read somenthing so called "pro-gay" I recommend "And Tango Makes Three".
Bookishrealm
I definitely liked where the story went. And I appreciated that it showed the fact that sometimes you just can't help who you fall in love with; however, the artwork was something I was not a fan of at all. I just couldn't get into it and most of the time I felt like a child drew the pictures (may be quite harsh but that's how I felt).
Kate
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a children’s book about an old queen who wants her son, the prince, to marry. He finally concedes to her, and she arranged for him to meet a variety of princesses. Princess after princess is not suitable for him, he finally finds that he’s fallen in love with one of the princess’s accompaniments. They marry and become King & King.
Samuel Graham
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A contemporary version of the traditional tale of a prince looking for his princess and ending up finding true love instead. I give it 5 stars because the authors give voice to a group that is often marginalized in children's books, especially of this genre.
Jordan
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-j-l, picture-books
Super cute!
Hannah Mary
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Similar to Cinderella however when the prince meets many princesses he finds none take his heart. King falls in love with another Prince and they live happily ever after.
Matthew Harris
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has great illustrations that allow kids to use their imagination and help them understand the book better.
  • The Sissy Duckling
  • Oliver Button Is a Sissy
  • Jacob's New Dress
  • Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress
  • Be Who You Are
  • Los Mejores Colores/Best Best Colors (Anti-Bias Books for Kids)
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families