Start by marking “Moving Forward: A Story of Hope, Hard Work, and the Promise of America” as Want to Read:
Moving Forward: A Story of Hope, Hard Work, and the Promise of America

Moving Forward: A Story of Hope, Hard Work, and the Promise of America

"One of the most important voices of her generation." --Joy-Ann Reid

"A useful roadmap for all of us about how to make a difference." --David Axelrod

"
Moving Forward will inspire you." --Valerie Jarrett

An inspiring political memoir from Karine Jean-Pierre, Chief Public Affairs Officer for MoveOn, chronicling her path from New York's Haitian community to working in the
Published November 5th 2019 by Hanover Square Press

To ask other readers questions about Moving Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Forward

Start your review of Moving Forward: A Story of Hope, Hard Work, and the Promise of America
Jean
I have seen Jean-Pierre on television so decided to learn more about her by reading her recently published memoir.

Jean-Pierre was born in Martinique. Her parents were born and raised in Haiti. They immigrated to New York when she was young. She obtained a master’s degree in public administration from Columbia University. She had a tough life growing up, but she does not get bogged down in it. The book focuses on hard work and determination to reach her goals in life. I had the feeling the book
Monica
Karine Jean-Pierre is a very appealing personality with a very compelling story. The daughter of Haitian immigrants, Jean Pierre tells the story of growing up in a strict household with parents combating an unfair stigma of bigotry, particularly towards Haitians in New York City. Jean-Pierre is careful not to make this a story of racism, bigotry and hate but a story of what made her the person that she is. What molded her. Jean-Pierre's story is familiar to many, a young, driven, high achieving ...more
Donna Hines
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Late bloomers this one is perfect for you....
Never give up hope as hope is the backbone behind the promise of America or is it?!
I can relate to much of what Karine discussed in terms of constantly moving from one opportunity to the next in believing that one closed door is not a curse but a blessing. That notion that hard work gets you your place in line has always been a staple to the America we used to know and love.
That moment of never losing sight of a goal when you may not have a goal set
Chantale Onesi-Gonzalez
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: galley
As my first review on Net Galley, I am feeling a great deal of pressure to get this right, but Karine Jean-Pierre has made my job much less difficult with her lovely memoir. Moving Forward focuses on her childhood in Queens and the daily work that is required of the eldest child of an immigrant couple, her own journey to naturalized citizenship, and her subsequent lively political and media career.

Sharing the same birth year I felt at one with Jean-Pierre as she traced her youth and early
Lisa
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one. In her foreward, Jean-Pierre says it's aimed at younger folks who may be considering a career in politics, but there's plenty for us older folks whose windows of opportunity are not wide open. Sometimes I wish I hadn't been such a late bloomer professionally, because I could have gone in a lot of interesting directions—politics being one of them, maybe. Not that I have any issues with what I'm doing now, but at almost 56 there are a lot of cool options that I'm just not going ...more
Nann
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A breath of fresh air in the political memoir genre!
Janet

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Most political origin stories have the same backbone. A bright young person starts
Charlotte Jones
Since the 2016 election of Donald Trump, I have been plugged into American politics; whether it be reading countless books on the topic, watching American news shows, or reading British coverage of the happenings, I'm fascinated. Karine Jean-Pierre is one of the faces I've seen across the coverage so when I saw she had a book out I was intrigued to learn more about her story.

A Haitian gay black woman in today's America, Karine gives insight into an upbringing very different from my own. She
Barred Owl Books
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“One of the most important voices of her generation.” —Joy-Ann Reid

“A useful roadmap for all of us about how to make a difference.” —David Axelrod

“Moving Forward will inspire you.” —Valerie Jarrett

An inspiring political memoir from Karine Jean-Pierre, Chief Public Affairs Officer for MoveOn, chronicling her path from New York’s Haitian community to working in the Obama White House, and offering a blueprint for anyone who wants to change the face of politics.

Most political origin stories have the
Maria
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was refreshing to hear (I read the audiobook) this author in her words and inflections of her story and her ascent to a successful but, more importantly, fulfilling career in politics. This book is both autobiography and self help.

Jean-pierre’s own story of being from an immigrant Haitian family who relocated from Haiti, to Martinique, to France then settling in Long Island and the socio economic challenges that that entailed (and sexuality- which is not a main theme) alone is compelling.
B
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tricia Sean
This book was part political how to book and part memoir. The memoir part was a 5 star read. The political how to part was slightly wanting and although I find it a must read for High Schoolers and college students today, it was lacking for a former political science major.
I read it as an ARC giveaway and I definately want my 19 year old college sophomore daughter to read it. I enjoyed it and I'm a fan of Jean-Pierre from seeing her on AM Joy and respect her work.
I rate it a 3.5 (round to a 4)
Rebecca
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars. I always like watching KJP on AM Joy so I was very interested to read this. However, I didn't feel the text captured how dynamic she seems on TV. Instead, it seemed stilted, not at all like I expect KJP would seem telling her story in speech. Still, I really enjoyed the family stories, particularly how her parents and she and her siblings grew up. Not quite what I expected but a
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While interesting (and completely in line with my political sensibilities), Moving Forward: A Story of Hope, Hard Work, and the Promise of America just didn't capture my imagination or my heart the way I'd hoped it would. I appreciated the supporting materials - especially the recommendations of Twitter feeds and books.
Shannan Harper
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've never heard of the author until i saw her book. I thought it was very inspirational some of the things she went through, from her beginnings on a small island to working on the campaign of the first black president of the Untied States. It was a very good book and gave good insights on what can happen when you are able to work hard despite your beginnings.

I received a copy of this book for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own
Kathleen Gray
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
An intriguing memoir. I was not familiar with Karine Jean-Pierre before reading this but I plan to look for her now. To be fair, she's not the only child of immigrants to become deeply involved in politics but her story is unique in its way. It was the family stories more than the politics I found most interesting. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. This would be a good YA read- inspirational and educational.
Terrance Stroud
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Moving forward is a must read that will reaffirm your belief in the America Dream. Karine-Jean Pierre's dynamic memoir tells the story of a Caribbean American woman who has become a force in the political, progressive and media world. I love watching her on TV but I love her book even more. Moving forward is a perfect holiday gift for anyone who dares to dream BIG!
Alexi Reed
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a very inspiring book! As someone who's really confused during this time of an interesting administration, it made me feel motivated and that hope is not lost. It was also reassuring to see that she changed her career path from pre-med to politics and ended up in the White House. If you're looking for an easy, motivating read, I would definitely read this book.
Chris
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always have enjoyed seeing Karine Jean Pierre as a commentator on MSNBC. Taking this journey in Moving Forward to learn about her story as a Haitian-American woman and her ability to confidently navigate a career in public policy/campaigns/TV only adds to my love of her fresh perspective.
Erin
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 but I'm rounding up. Jean-Pierre's writing can be clunky, but I believe she is writing to reach a wide range of readers. Her life has been interesting and she pounds away at my core belief: people are everything, networking is everything.
Pete Stoppani
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
The bio parts are interesting but most of the book is about politics since about 2008 which are well-covered but repetitive for anyone that has kept up. For anyone else, it’s a good skimmer to extract the bio bits .
Barbara Edema
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karine Jean-Pierre's memoir is inspiring. Her personal story is riveting and her plan for how we can all be part of America shows the importance of all stories and voices. I heard her voice as I read the book. She feels like a good friend. A friend who makes me want to be a better citizen.
Patricia A. Korol
Optomistic

An insider's knowledge and insight helps to make sense of the up is down political story. Karine Jean-Pierre is a bright spirit shining her light into a dark period of our country 's history.
Brian
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Karine’s story is amazing and inspiring, a reminder that we all can help make a difference and live the true American Dream while doing so. Loved it!
Debra
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Great read providing Karine’s background and how she got into politics, and really helpful to understand political work and the organization required.
Seymone
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very informative. Inspires me to get involved at the local level.
Martha Phillips
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
My takeaway quote: "Only 61.4 percent of eligible voters cast ballots in the 2016 election."
Bookclubbish