Start by marking “Tortured for His Faith” as Want to Read:
Tortured for His Faith

Tortured for His Faith

Today the name Haralam Popov is deeply revered around the world. He has become a symbol of Christian courage to millions whose faith continues to be under attack by oppressive governments and religious extremists.....
Published January 1st 1970 by Zondervan Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Tortured for His Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tortured for His Faith

Erin Shaw
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to meet this man and his family when I was a child. I didn't realize the impact of his story on me. Powerful story of faith and perseverance.
Maddy B
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Haralan Povov's faith is incredible. He amazes me. He loved the Lord so much that he was willing to go through years of torture for Him.
I recommend that every single Christian read this.
Susan
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the amazing story of Haralan Popov, a Bulgarian pastor who spent 13 years in Communist prisons for refusing to bow to the Communist Party and its evil aims. Before the Communist takeover of Bulgaria - a land called "Little Russia," Popov pastored the largest protestant church in the nation and was his country's foremost evangelist. As a result, this high regard garnered him especially brutal and inhumane treatment throughout his long imprisonment. Yet, despite his daily torment he felt G ...more
Blagoslava
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was incredibly hard to read for me, I couldn't finish it. But not because it's poorly written, nor because it was boring. It's so real and raw, that it's hard to handle... It changed me in a better way, although I wish the events in it would have never happened.

Беше ми изключително трудно да прочета тази книга, не успях да я завърша. Не защото е зле написана или скучна. Но е толкова истинска и сурова, че не можах да я понеса... Тази книга ме промени в добра насока, но ми се иска събит
Jasonwilkerson
This is a powerful story of faith and the miraculous hand of God. The atrocities of the Bulgarian communists will shock the reader. The reader must struggle through stilted and sometimes incorrect English. I am not certain if the author is writing in his second language of English or it was poorly translated from Bulgarian, in either case it seems an editor/translator could improve the reading experience. The book suffers a bit from a seemingly endless series of epilogues. It is an easy read (ma ...more
Ashley
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate having my heart pricked for the suffering church. I recommend this book to any Christian seeking to open their hearts up to those chained for Jesus' Sake. I have found that it will encourage you to pray for the persecuted and to give to those without bibles.

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
- Psalms 119:105 KJV

"Prayer alone is not enough. Prayer must be followed by action." - Haralan Povov
Kathy Erwin
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!!!

Getting God's Word out to the world is of utmost importance - truths like in this book breaks my heart every time I read of persecutions - God always prevails though :-)
Robin Kettering
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tells the truth

Some people have really suffered in prison for their faith or being falsely accused for other things. This shows what being held and doing hard labor is like.
Jackie Heffelmire
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first edition when I was ten year old

I wanted to read it again ,this edition was not the same, I did enjoy it and am just as convinced 49 years later all my trials and tribulations were self inflicted and asking God why me is no longer in my Prayers or my vocabulary.
God Bless You and Yours
Linda
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jason Mccool
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jason by: Pat McCool
"Tortured For His Faith" was written by Haralan Popov in 1970 and recounts his ordeal at the hands of the Communists in Bulgaria after WWII. He starts by telling of his childhood and young adulthood as a staunch atheist, his coming to Christianity, his rise to be a church leader of the Protestant church there, and his midnight arrest by the Secret Police, mock trial, and subsequent 13 years and 2 months in various prisons around Bulgaria. It's purpose is, as he says, not to show man's depravity, ...more
Adam Ferguson
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the story of Haralan Popov, a Bulgarian pastor who was arrested and imprisoned for 13 years and two months for preaching the Gospel. The book deals primarily with Dr. Popov's imprisonment and the tortures he endured there. It is incredible to see the kind of inhuman and deplorable treatment he endured at the hands of the Communist men who tortured him for his faith and attempted to turn him into an informer. Through it all, Dr. Popov maintained his relationship with God and used his ...more
Rachel Ogg
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tortured for His Faith is a very inspiring and compelling book. It's about a pastor who is arrested for his faith, tortured, and sent to Communist prison camps around Bulgaria. His predicament doesn't stop him from sharing the gospel with everyone he can in every prison he is in. I would highly recommend it to those who desire their faith to be challenged. It has encouraged me to pray for fellow believers who are oppressed to this day in current communist countries and other countries around the ...more
Kayla Tallman
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tortured for His Faith is an excellent Christain novel, and all of it completely true! Haralan Popov is a Christian pastor in Russia who is taken captive by the Communist Secret Police after which he is interrogated and faces years of horrendous physical and mental torture. Against all odds, Haralan survives and deeply intesifies his faith which he is able to share with others in his horrible circumstances. This book was a great encouragement to me and my walk with the Lord, and I would definate ...more
Mark
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I was in 6th grade my teacher at the Christian school read this to us. It left a lasting memory. I found a copy this past year at Wheaton College and read it to my kids. It's hard to imagine life being tortured for faith, but it was hopefully eye opening for my kids. I skipped parts that were too gruesome.
Mandy
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to grow in their faith or needing help through hard times in life
This is my favorite book from my childhood. I've read it again and again and have never failed to be amazed at its content. It's not a technically written book. It's simple but profound. Very well worth the short time it takes to read. It will increase your faith and your perception of your own life.
Beth
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this in 8th grade & had my eyes open to the persecution that many people suffer for their faith in Christ. I highly recommend it. We have no idea the freedoms that we have in many of our countries.
Catherine
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, encouraging to the saints. Everyone can benefit from reading what happens to Christians under Communism.
Michelle Cates
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read
Jeremiah
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great read, similar to tortured for CHrist.
Brian
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Also read in 1995
Miniver Cheevy
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First read this when I was 11 or 12. Reading to family in evening now.
Michael
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Michael by: Voice of the Martyrs
Shelves: christian-books
A true story of a man put in prison for his faith in Jesus Christ.
Read1000books
The account of a Russian pastor who was persecuted under Soviet rule.
Jon
Mar 25, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in the persecuted/post communist church
This is an amazing story of a pastor's time in prison under communist Bulgaria. The events described are stunning.
Debby Gerth
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fourth-shelf
Amazing story, an emotionally difficult read for the sensitive or young, but so worth it. We read it as a family as a read aloud.
Dave
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, christian
Must have read the first edition ... I remember reading this as an 11 or 12-year-old (1974'ish). This impacted me deeply, opening my eyes to persecution of Christians.
Matthew Miller
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it
A brutal story of Christian persecution in Bulgaria. It is an eye opening view of what Christian life was like under the thumb of communism.
James A Mitchell
  • Mover of Men and Mountains
  • God's Tribesman: The Rochunga Pudaite Story
  • The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
  • A Passion for God: The Spiritual Journey of A. W. Tozer
  • Eric Liddell: Pure Gold : A New Biography of the Olympic Champion Who Inspired Chariots of Fire
  • No Life for a Lady
  • A Bride Goes West
  • Marriage to a Difficult Man: The Uncommon Union of Jonathan & Sarah Edwards
  • Zvi: The Miraculous Story of Triumph Over the Holocaust
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • Welcome to Samantha's World · 1904: Growing Up in America's New Century (The American Girls Collection)