Start by marking “Had It Coming: What's Fair in the Age of #metoo?” as Want to Read:
Had It Coming: What's Fair in the Age of #metoo?

Had It Coming: What's Fair in the Age of #metoo?

"A decisive snapshot of this moment in history that considers where we were, and sets the stage for where we might go, and will no doubt be used to describe this moment long after we move on to a new normal." --Zoe Whittall, author of The Best Kind of People

An illuminating, timely look at the changing landscape of sexual politics by the author of Crazy Town.

For nearly two
Published September 24th 2019 by Allen Lane

To ask other readers questions about Had It Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Had It Coming

Start your review of Had It Coming: What's Fair in the Age of #metoo?
Rachel Elizabeth
My mother worked as a police dispatcher for years before retiring, and remembers Robin Doolittle’s original email inquiries seeking information for her Unfounded series. My mother’s opinions of Robin Doolittle and her intentions were very low.

Which I never really got, because all Doolittle managed with her work was to provide thoughtful insight, valid and fair critiques of the current system, and give way to future progress.

After that, though, I mostly forgot about the author and her
Eva
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

A serious look at where we are almost 2 years after the beginning of the #metoo movement is the focus of this piece by Robyn Doolittle. In addition to looking at the way we discuss or don’t discuss the important subtext to our language and actions, Doolittle appears to be saying that we have not moved forward significantly in treating women equally and fairly. The biases and judgements held within the criminal justice system and how sexual assault cases are handled are covered and then expanded
Amber Daugherty
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much has changed since the start of #metoo and in #haditcoming, Robyn Doolittle explores how conversations in real life and online are exposing how divided everyone seems to be on the issues of sexual assault, consent and everything else to do with the hashtag. From the great divide between older feminists and current students, to the continuous shouts that #metoo is only a white woman's breakthrough, to fights happening in the legal world about how to understand the trauma of assault and ...more
Emma
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Doolittle's book is a common-sense approach to the topics of consent and sexual assault. The book gives us the Canadian perspective on #metoo (not just Jian Ghomeshi, but also a discussion of our legal system and other topical cases). An important take-away from the book is that Canada has some of the most progressive sex assault laws in the world - they just aren't always well-understood.

Doolittle approaches the topic with nuance. For example, she frames consent as an ethical concept, which
Kiley
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I have a freelance project due, I force myself to read only nonfiction in the (often vain) hope that this will help me rein in the temptation to read instead of work. Needless to say, with this book my strategy did not work. It was engrossing, page-turning--and above all, fair. Doolittle's careful and compassionate reporting comes through in her engaging narrative voice, and although I would consider myself well-informed on the issues the book discusses, many sections added to my ...more
Autumn
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
An exceptional piece of research & reporting, with great strides made to keep it biased. Doolittle brought up many of the concerns that I, as a feminist, have (and have felt I had to hide) regarding the #metoo movement & cancel culture.

It started lagging a bit near the end, and as there was a great deal of Canadian content, I would have loved for her to include Steven Galloway & UBC Accountable fallout - especially after going into such detail on similar cases at US universities.

Selma
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want an incredibly well-written and thoughtfully researched book on the setbacks and advancements of how sexual assault allegations are handled, this is the book for you. It’s truly a journalist’s book: concise information, organized story telling and a lack of bias where appropriate. This book is a must-read for anyone and everyone. Only tip: don’t read it before bed if you’re easily disturbed by the subject matter.
Leila
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book is so important and one i think everyone should read. since i consider myself a feminist, i really thought i was completely educated on all things related to #metoo, but this book really gave me a whole new perspective. i never realized how much i played into call-out culture and how toxic this is to the movement. definitely a really thought-provoking read!
Wendy
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not the #MeToo book we wanted, but it's the #MeToo book we needed.

In the current political climate, I'm usually not fond of the centrist "we just need to talk to each other" perspective. However, Doolittle makes many good points in this book that we should be paying more attention to. (It's also not in the middle to begin with, but you know what I mean.)
Danielle
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
A well researched and written, and incredibly timely look at #MeToo, sexual assault, consent and, most importantly, how we move forward as a society now that these conversations are being had in the open. ...more
Shannon
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So damn good! Not a rant about #metoo. A very thorough and thought provoking books on how society is changing its perspective on definitions, problems and solutions.
Lauren Simmons
Not sure what to think yet.
Gus Vassiliou
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well researched with a variety of situations written about at length. This should be on a first year university course reading list. Law. Psychology. Humanities.
Ellen Worling
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent, well rounded look at the #metoo movement.
Amy Boughner

• Girls Need Not Apply: Field Notes from the Forces
  • Empire of Wild
  • The Shape of Family
  • Bunny
Robyn Doolittle is an investigative reporter with the Globe and Mail, Canada’s national newspaper. She began her career at the Toronto Star, covering crime and later municipal politics.

Her two-year investigation into Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s substance abuse issues garnered worldwide attention, and in 2014, the Star’s Ford investigation was nominated for a Canadian Association of Journalists award