Start by marking “The Crayons' Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Crayons' Christmas

The Crayons' Christmas

(Crayons)

A brand-new Crayons book from the #1 New York Times best-selling duo Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers, just in time for the holidays. This special book has letters, games, ornaments, a poster, and even a pop-up Christmas tree!

'Tis the season for all of us to write our holiday wishlists. But everyone--even the crayons--know the best presents are the ones that you
Published October 15th 2019 by Penguin Workshop

To ask other readers questions about The Crayons' Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crayons' Christmas

Start your review of The Crayons' Christmas
Eastofoz
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
For some reason the crayon printing is very small and hard to read. Story isn’t as funny as others in the series.
Jen
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is adorable! Fun for the kids AND adults as it contains some witty humor that will sail over the kids heads. So much for the kids to look at and do, this will be a children’s Christmas favorite!
Jeimy
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic gem by Jeffers. I am glad to have met new crayons and to have caught up with some familiar faces--you know I mean you Esteban!
Annese
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read... but this is going to be a horrible library book. I'm taking bets on how long all of the pockets and pieces will last.
Alana
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listofbetterment
Another classic “crayon” story!! A great picture book to read to younger children with some great humour in it although they might not understand all of it. The book is interactive as it has pockets with activities inside however, this I believe makes it hard to have in a classroom as they would probably go missing quite quickly! Other than that, a lovely Christmas story to read!
Donna
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Fun continuation of the series - but a library book circulation nightmare - games, foldouts, and cutouts are included.
Heidi
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The crayons return to celebrate Christmas using real letters, paper ornaments, a poster, a game, and a pop-up tree. I admit I have a soft spot for this kind of book. I've always gotten a kick out of pulling out the 'surprises' to see what's there. Young readers are likely to enjoy that aspect of the book as well. Plus Daywalt's crayons are as charming as always. While not as clean and crisp in terms of story as the previous titles there is still much to be enjoyed here (although I recommend ...more
Jacqui
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birdie
Those crayons are at it again! These books are wonderful, with a little something extra for the adults reading, and this one contains paper dolls and other fun additions!
Nitza Campos
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super adorable and a perfect gift for anyone who loves the series!!!
Erin Kinney
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The library copy I read had no inserts so the story made very little sense.
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review first published on my blog Nine Pages .

In previous Crayons books the crayons have written to Duncan. Now the crayons are the recipients, receiving letters and postcards and gifts from friends and family in a sweet celebration of reaching out to loved ones at the holidays. The book has the same offbeat humor and insightful comments on our use of colors that the previous books did. Many of the characters are from previous books, their adventures expanded here, and I think the book made
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday, childrens
What I Loved:

My family enjoys ALL the Crayons books. They are adorable and each crayon has its own personality that is consistent from book to book. All of our favorite crayons are back in this book to celebrate the holidays.

The story takes us through different holiday scenarios and our favorite thing was that there were envelopes every few pages with a letter or postcard or game inside. The kids really enjoyed opening the mail on these pages.

To Read or Not To Read: This book is a must read for
Becky
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
First sentence: One snowy December day, Duncan was making Christmas cards with his crayons when the mail carrier brought a letter, only it wasn’t for him...

Premise/plot: As a novelty Christmas book this one offers a good time, especially if your little one already loves Duncan’s crayons. It offers several built in activities: peach crayon paper doll with wardrobe, a game board, punch out Christmas ornaments, a dreidel to assemble, etc. The crayons receive a good amount of mail and a box of
Chris
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this to my year 3 class and they loved it - they were astounded when I said we were just reading it for pleasure and to enjoy it and not to ask questions on it. To be fair, I didn’t need to ask them any questions as they related it to ‘The Day the Crayons Quit’ which they had read at the infants, and a lot of them had also read ‘The Day the Crayons came home’ so they related it to the events of those books, and they told me all about who Duncan was and why peach crayon was wearing Duncan’s ...more
Erin
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Christina Carter
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-excursion
I enjoyed The Crayons' Christmas as much as I did The Day the Crayons Quit and The Day the Crayons Came Home. I like all of the pockets filled with fun activities that tie in with the story and while I believe this book would make a great gift, its extra pieces (that are in the pockets of the pages) makes it a book that may not hold up for long as a library book. Instead of adding it to the collection, I would rather give copies for students to keep.
Alicia Evans
Continuing the tradition of the other Crayons texts, we see various letters arrive, ranging from the crayons' parents to crayons on vacation. Fans of the series will adore this book with it's continued use of puns and character favorites, though be warned that there are pieces that will easily get used/lost.

For: fans of the other Crayons books; readers wanting a Christmas book that ties in beloved characters.

Possible red flags: many, many pieces.
Rubi
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me of one of my favorite childhood books, "The Jolly Postman". In it the postman delivers mail which makes the book interactive and fun. This book does the same, with every mail containing a fun surprise. I was expecting just cards from the Crayons, but they include mini board games and activities that should be fun to play with with your child. The Crayons are as silly as ever, bringing a candy cane into their mist. Must read for any fan of The Day The Crayons Quit
Amy (Lost in a Good Book)
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This review was published on my blog Lost in a Good Book

I was incredibly excited when I saw there was a Christmas themed Crayon book. I’ve loved the other two and to return to their funny little world was fantastic.

In this new book the Crayons are preparing for Christmas and letters keep arriving from all over the place— from travellers, from online shopping, and from numerous crayon relatives. The letters are wonderful. They’re funny, clever, and I love the interactive envelope style instead
Jen
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a treat to read yet another of the Crayons books with my children. We have been big fans of the Crayons and their adventures since the beginning.

While there was really no new development this time around, we greatly enjoyed reading a festive addition to the series and appreciated the addition of Hanukkah.

As with both books before, we laughed out loud at the different personalities of the crayons, specifically Esteban (the magnificent). Highly recommend for the holiday season!
Steven Copp
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really really loved this book and wanted to give it 5 stars, but the logistics of having the letters all be separate is concerning because if they go missing, the story is going to (literally) have holes in it. If you're confident you can keep the separate pieces from going missing, then this is definitely a great read for the Christmas season!
Charbear
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
While this is an extremely cute book, it was not designed for a library. I'm a children's librarian, so I was concerned when I saw all of the inserts. They will go missing very quickly I'm afraid! I think it's great for a personal collection at home, I just wish the publishers would have thought of public libraries and other public copies when creating this!
Debbie Waskiewich
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not as funny as THE DAY THE CRAYONS QUIT and THE DAY THE CRAYONS CAME HOME. This book is more hands-on (e.g. separate cards, papers, etc. - just great for a kid to take apart and lose the pieces). Because of this, it would be a little difficult to use as a read-aloud for a group of children. The humour is more suited for older children (8 years and up).
Angie
Oct 15, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture
Hmmm. I was glad to see Esteban. And there were some funny parts. But that said ... if I would have seen it before preordering I probably wouldn’t have gotten it. Too many little “things” (paper dolls and such) inside to make it useful as a school read aloud. Might be different if I was only thinking of reading with my family.
Tarsiyi
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All of the fun little additions to this book made it an extra special read. Those I shared it with loved it as well. It's the perfect Christmas gift and I can't wait to hear more about the crayons' adventures!
Jodie
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like this series of books. I was pretty excited to see what the crayons were up to next. This is a cute addition to the series. I like the notes and added activities throughout the book. A fun holiday story to share with all of the little crayon fans in your life.
Carol  Vanhook
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! So much thought went into the making of this book. What are all the odd, exciting, and crazy things about decorating for Christmas? It's all in this book! There are crafts tucked into the pages and there is an amazing surprise at the end. So don't peek till you get turn the final pages!
Jenn Hale
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
I absolutely loved this book!!!! I would give it 10 stars if I could! I remember loving The Jolly Christmas Postman as a child and this book just brings me right back to reading that as a child. Plus it is another fun adventure with the crayons!
Evan
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Lots of moving parts and pieces (thank you Toledo Lucas County Public Library for leaving in the pull-out portions: paper dolls, letters, posters, etc.) but I'm not quite sure I could keep up with the story, even though the concept was cute and the illustrations were great.
Sharie
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rdg-level-pic, 19f
very difficult to follow if you don't know other crayon books

• Dasher
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • The Great Santa Stakeout
  • Santa Bruce
  • I Am Perfectly Designed
  • Don't Call Me Bear!
  • If I Built a School
Ever since his childhood in one of Ohio’s most haunted houses, writer director Drew Daywalt has been writing escapist fantasy and building worlds of his own. With a degree in Creative Writing, and a concentration in Children’s Literature from Emerson College in Boston, Daywalt set off to Hollywood where he spent years writing for Disney and Universal on such beloved shows as Timon & Pumba, ...more

Crayons (9 books)