Start by marking “In a Jar” as Want to Read:
In a Jar

In a Jar

Here's a marvelous picture book, charmingly written and beautifully illustrated, about the power of memory and the magic of friendship.

Llewellyn, a little rabbit, is a collector. He gathers things in jars--ordinary things like buttercups, feathers, and heart-shaped stones. Then he meets another rabbit, Evelyn, and together they begin to collect extraordinary things--like
Published January 21st 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about In a Jar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Jar

Start your review of In a Jar
Toni
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story with gorgeous artwork (the sunset spread and the meteor shower are just amazing) about friends and beautiful moments we experience together. When the main character's friend moves to a new city, he is feeling sad and empty. Luckily, he discovers they can send each other packets and parcels and share new things they see and learn. It is possible to make new friends without forgetting the old ones. Beautiful, heart-warming message.

Thank you to Edelweiss and G.P. Putnam's Sons Books
Jamila
This is one of the most beautiful and inspiring picture books I’ve read.

One huge problem with it though is that it is quite close in theme and content to a previously published picture book called Juna’s Jar by Jane Bahk and Felicia Hoshino.

Child collects things in a jar. Child’s friend helps. Friend moves away. Child longs for friend. Child meets a new friend to collect things in jars.
La Coccinelle
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is a somewhat-abstract picture book about a little rabbit. His name is Llewellyn (there aren't nearly enough picture book characters named Llewellyn!) and he likes to collect things. He collects simple things, but those objects evoke complex memories. One day, while he's out collecting, he meets another little bunny named Evelyn. To remind her of a beautiful sunset, he gives her a jar full of light. From then on, they're best friends. But, one day, Evelyn has to move away. Llewellyn feels ...more
Sara
This was a very lovely little story about friendship and memory that made a perfect bed time read for our nightly story time in the "big bed" ritual.

Llewellyn, a little rabbit with fabulously absurd long ears, likes to collect things in jars. Mostly small things like stones and feathers. Then he meets Evelyn, also a rabbit, and together they begin to collect extraordinary things, like rainbows and the sound of the ocean. They fill Llewellyn's walls with these things and the reader is treated to
Pam  Page
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Is there anyone who has not thought of bottling a favorite moment, a favorite day, a beautiful sight? This gorgeous picture book does just that with two little rabbit characters. I can't wait to read this aloud to kids and talk about what they would bottle to share!
Brian
Jan 23, 2020 added it
The plot of this story sounds nearly identical to Juna's Jar.
Andrew
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In a Jar is gorgeous and sweet; what starts off as one little bunny with collections in jars blooms into a beautiful friendship when he makes a friend. Together, they collect their memories in jars, things you wouldn't think you could capture. Even when his friend moves, they will always cherish these moments together. Vivid and heartwarming.
Leslie
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In a Jar is a must. It is just beautiful through and through.

Llewellyn places objects in jars from places and moments he’s been. Later, when he opens them, he is transported…or rather, it is transported to him. The leaves falling in the white woods are suddenly falling about him as he sits in his room upon his bed.

Marcero moves from capturing objects into jars to moments into jar.

The “tart charry syrup” tinted waters at sunset are placed in jars, and Llewellyn gifts one to Evelyn whom he meets
Lynn
Two friends use jars to collect the wonders of the world. One moves away and they learn to connect by sending the miracles through the mail and making new friends.
Laura Harrison
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this book. There have been many collecting "things, thoughts, etc." in jar books before. But Deborah Marcero makes this story unique and very special. The text and illustrations will give you the warm fuzzies. 100%.
Mark
Jan 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book is a copy of Jane Bahk's book, "Juna's Jar." The work is stolen. If I could give it zero stars, I would.
KC
Darling tale of how to keep memories safe!
Kate Gibson
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a collector of tiny things in jars this book resonated with me on a deep level! So cute! ...more
Sabrina
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The art style is right up my alley!

Very touching story <3
Roy Guinto
Sep 30, 2019 rated it did not like it

Isn't this called White-washing? Cultural appropriation?

This has the EXACT same plot as the children’s book JUNA'S JAR, just replaced the child of color with a white rabbit. This isn’t ok no matter how pretty you think the pictures are. How would you explain it to a kid?

- Child collects special things in jars with her friend.
- Friend moves away.
- Child longs for her friend and copes with magic in her jar.
- Child finds a new friend to collect things with.
If this sounds appealing, read the
Tasha
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Llewellyn was a rabbit who loved to collect things in jars. He collected small things from his days like bright yellow leaves in the autumn which would remind him of what he had done and seen. One night when the sunset turned the sky “the color of tart cherry syrup,” Llewellyn went down to the shore with a lot of jars. He gathered the light of the night into his jars and gave one to a girl who came by. Evelyn was amazed to find that the in the jar glowed all night long the color of sunsets. Soon ...more
Heather
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about friendship and remembrance, with charming illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A charming, joyful story about memories and enduring friendsip.
Hank Hedland
Feb 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
Holy plagiarism Batman! Too bad this whole story is copied from another book that is a beautiful story of two young girls called Juna’s Jar.
Sandy Brehl
Someone I love dearly began, with her first baby's first breath, to whisper the words "Let's make some memories" in that infant's ear. Her mantra preceded the mundane and miraculous, the planned and the unexpected, throughout her kids' lives, including their eye-rolling adolescences.
Now adults, I expect they'll do the same with their own eventual families.
This picture book is eloquent in words and images, offering that same invitation to the tot audience and to the adult reader, the ones
Abby Johnson
With gorgeous, evocative illustrations and a touch of magical realism, this book paints a picture of a friendship that survives a long distance move. Llwellyn loves to collect things in jars - some things that are easy to keep in jars like heart-shaped rocks and some things that are not so easy like rainbows. When he meets Evelyn, he gives her a jar of sunset water and it glows all night with the memory of the sunset. After that, Llwellyn and Evelyn go out together to collect things until one ...more
Linda
In swirls of happiness, Llewellyn shows he's a collector, and he places those collections in jars. When he peeks inside, he remembers the special time when he collected, "things he had seen and done." He collects golden leaves, feathers, too, and heart-shaped stones. Magic fills those jars, too, like the day he collected the sky which has "the color of tart cherry syrup". And along came a little girl named Evelyn who was given one of those jars and quickly became a collecting partner, helping ...more
Margie
We collect. We gather. We save. What an individual chooses to collect, gather or save depends on their needs and wants. Some items are necessary for life; others are reminders of moments in that life. Some things are tangible, and others are not. Those we hold in our minds.

We may find some things harder to collect, gather or save but this is what makes them all the more cherished by us. In A Jar (G. P. Putnam's Sons, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC, January 21, 2020) written and
Arminzerella
Erin Buhr
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
The illustrations are mesmerizing and I wish that I could bottle favorite moments and sights the way Llewellyn and Evelyn do on these pages. It is a book full of gentle magic and the power of childhood friendship. If I had one criticism I would say that I did not love the ending - not in it is terrible or super disappointing, just that to me it didn't quite match the beauty of the rest of the book. That is of course just my opinion and it still didn't stop me from putting this on my shelves or ...more
Beth
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An employee just walked into my office (at the library) and gushed that I just absolutely must read this book. I'm glad I took the few minutes to delve into this sweet, amazing book. To gather experiences into a "jar," to be left with an empty jar and to figure out how to fill the jar up again---Llewellyn and Evelyn's story will fill the reader's jar. The illustrations lend themselves well to the story and I may have shed a tear.
Rosa Schmidt
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic story about things that are special to us...friends, memories, feelings...and being able to share them. I loved this story and think that it would be great for k-2 graders today. Llewellyn saves things in jars, tangible and intangible things. And when his friend Evelyn moves away he sends her jars of special memories. What a great opportunity to discuss what is special to us and how we can stay connected to those dear to us who move away. Loved this book!!
Anthony
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Llewellyn and Evelyn share the wonders, mysteries and joy of collecting things, and storing them in jars. As their collection grows, so does their friendship. Evelyn and her family move away to another town, but somehow Llewellyn and Evelyn continue to share their jars, and the collections within.
Sabrina
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educ-401
This book is a great tool to illustrate metaphor because it shows moments, memories, and concepts put into jars. They capture moments as a single continuing metaphor which also creates a theme, another concept that could be discussed with students.
This book would fall under the animal fantasy genre.
Pam
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The rabbit, Llewellyn is a collector and keeps everything in glass jars. He meets a friend, Evelyn, and together they collect samples of natural beauty around them. Evelyn has to move and they find a way to continue sharing their joys. He meets a new friend at the end.
The illustrations support the text. Readers can enter this world and be part of the natural wonders collected.
« previous 1 3 next »