Start by marking “The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen” as Want to Read:
The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen

The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen

‘Charming and uplifting’ – My Weekly

Thisis a novel about community, love, laughter and healing. Think Cold Feet meets David Nicholls, with a dash of the joy of Jill Mansell added for good measure.

It doesn't look like much from the outside, but Cherry Blossom Mews is a miraculous place. It's somewhere that finds you, rather than the other way around.

Sadie McQueen has
Published December 26th 2019 by Simon & Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen

Start your review of The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen
Paromjit
Juliet Ashton writes about a small community of culturally diverse individuals living in a corner of London who regularly meet at their residents association meetings, a time to exchange news and gossip whilst they support each other at the same time. Sadie McQueen lives on Cherry Blossom Mews, which may not look like much from the outside but which means everything to her. You can understand why that it is the case when you start to get to grips with the horrors of her tragic past, her losses, ...more
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
How I read this: Free ebook copy received through NetGalley

I am tempted to start this review with a letter to the author. And if I did, it would go something like this:

Dear Juliet Ashton,

please write another book.
And another, and then another.
And just keep going!
Also, I know I may be pushing it here, but…
Can we have like…One every month?
Cause I need another one NOW!!!

Yours, Swooning Fan

If you want to read more about why I feel like that, visit the full blog post and witness me gushing about the
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a book this is as it takes you on a journey of ups and downs in the life of Sadie McQueen.

And also the rest of the residents of The Cherry Blossom Mews, The book is written so that each chapter features their next weekly residents meeting which they take turns to hold, and allows us to really get to know all the residents of the Mews in a great way.

Sadie is the main character and she has a tragic backstory and its trying to overcome certain things in her life. There are elements of what
Shaz Goodwin
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Sadie intrigued me from the beginning. I wanted to know more about her guilt from three years ago and what motivated her. The clues are really well timed and by the time we know the whole story, I had so much love for her (I must admit I made some assumptions in the beginning which were way out). Although she’s vulnerable I thought she had so much strength.

The characters’ idiosyncrasies come into play at the weekly Residents’ Association meetings and
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

I feel so sorry for any books I read after this one as Sadie McQueen is going to be a tough act to follow! This was incredible!!!!! Emotional, humourous, romantic, dynamic, relatable....honestly, it had everything I could have wanted from a book and more. I was gutted when it finished.

Everyone who lives in Cherry Blossom Mews has a unique story to tell. If you sat down with any one of the residents, you'll end up
Fay Flude
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a sparkling gem of a book! I immediately fell in love with all the varied characters in this book, all gorgeous, endearing, charming but broken residents of Cherry Blossom Mews where this wonderful community live and work, and ultimately heal each other through love, friendship, compassion and humour.
From Sadie who is clearly escaping an unhappy past in Suffolk where she lost both her husband and daughter in a car accident, to Hero, the handsome man in charge of U-Turn, a charity that
Bridget
If your favoured reading material is a compelling tale with a good sprinkling of relationships, imperfection, hope, secrets and humour then The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen by Juliet Ashton is a must-read for you!

Sadie McQueen lives on Cherry Blossom Mews, an unassuming street in a corner of London. She attends weekly Residents’ Association meetings for support, to share news and a natter, and through Sadie, the reader gets to know more about Sadie herself and the other characters in the
Caroline Kerdouci
Oh my goodness I absolutely LOVED this book.
The fall and rise of Sadie McQueen is a wonderfully quirky novel full of eccentric, endearing characters that make this such an uplifting read.
I don’t know quite what I was expecting, having read a previous novel by this author, The Sunday Lunch club. For me her latest offering is far superior and more along the lines of a Ruth Hogan novel (which is high praise!!).
The novel centres around the residents of Cherry Blossom mews, home to these wonderful
Fabulous Book Fiend
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well Juliet Ashton really likes to put her characters through it in her novels, she throws everything she has at them and this book is no exception.

Sadie is such a complex main character. She has a troubled past and a positive present and she is such a solid part of her community. I loved what she tried to make happen in her little corner of the world and I also really respected where she had come from. There really is so much that has gone on in Sadie's past in so many ways that it is a
Sheila
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a charming book and I felt like I grew to love the characters and cared about what happened to them. My first book by this author and I will check out any others that are available.
Vicky
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though the premise is wide and sprawling- a small community of misfits learning to love each other, a woman coming to terms with her past, a love story- Juliet Ashton has written a book that hangs together beautifully and that I really enjoyed reading.

In it, Sadie McQueen is a woman running from her past. She’s running a spa and living in Cherry Blossom Mews along with a group of misfits that include social media influencer Amber- and new arrival Hero, with whom she connects almost immediately.
Alison
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this. It is a lovely novel about a group of neighbours who live and work in an exclusive but slightly run down private mews estate in London . We have Michael the bookshop owner, Mr and Mrs Bob and their caff, Amber the childless Yummy Mummy, Fi and Sadie at the spa, Mary, who runs what appears to be a charity bric a brac shop, Hero and Jez from the drug addiction centre and various other characters. The book tells us of a few months in their ...more
Agi
Sadie McQueen lives on Cherry Blossom Mews, in a community that - you quickly start to learn - is made up of people that are in troubles, have problems, tragic pasts, feel no hope, and even if they don't realise this, the landlord of the mews has realised it and amassed all those lost souls together. The residents meet regularly at their association meetings where they are supposed to have an "agenda" but the meetings always end with gossip and exchanging news. They support each other ...more
Marianne
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not a touchy-feely sort, but this book makes me want to give it a big hug! I found it charming, laugh out loud funny, but also capable of producing tears of joy. A ragged assortment of tenants occupy Cherry Blossom Mews, a converted stable block somewhere in London. All of the residents are on a journey from some type of addiction, alcohol, social media, abusive boyfriends, etc. together they form a family of sorts and get on with life as it is.
In this time of bad news and negativity
Juliet Bookliterati
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

Cherry Blossom Mews, a quiet haven in the midst of London, a place where Sadie McQueen can heal and start her life again. Her fellow residents all have secrets that bring them together, to a place of safety and community. Sadie sets up her spa Sakura, hires the honest and mouthy Fi, and Cher, sister of the local version of the Kray’s, but there are still ghosts that follow her around. Sadie has the chance to move on, find love, be happy but only if she can forgive her self. The Fall and Rise of
Linda Hill
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sadie’s been through a lot, but life isn’t necessarily about to get any easier.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen. Initially I didn’t feel the same emotional attachment I have with Juliet Ashton’s writing in the past, as it took me a while to adjust to the number of characters, but before long she had bewitched me and when I realised I had found tears in my eyes on several occasions I knew I’d become as captivated as ever.

It’s quite hard to define what makes Juliet Ashton’s
Carla
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up while doing my food shop, and admittedly isn’t the usual type of book I would go for. But I’m so glad I did!

In this sweet novel by Juliet Ashton, we meet Sadie McQueen after personal tragedy turned her world upside down. Living in Cherry Blossom Mews, in a little forgotten corner of London, we follow her and her neighbours as she attempts to keep what’s left of her life together.

Ashton’s style is clean and to the point, which I always prefer. At first, the plot seems to
Abi
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sadie McQueen has rented a unit in the small idyll that is Cherry Tree Mews. I gated community in the centre of London, surrounded by glass monoliths, degenerating tower blocks and a rather dodgy housing estate. But the mews and its occupants have become Sadie’s family, her security blanket to heal from the tragedy she keeps close to her heart and the guilt that eats away at her.

That is until a newcomer to their inner circle, aptly named Hero, begins to awaken her heart to love, and above all
Book-shelf Shelf
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Sadie McQueen primarily, although to be honest it is actually about all the people who live & work in the Mews. The story starts with Saide, who lost her husband and daughter in a car accident. As the story continues we learn that Sadie is an alcoholic and she believes it is her fault that her family have been killed.

There is also Hero who runs a rehab type centre, Amber who is insta–famous , Michael who runs the book store, Bob & Mrs Bob who have the local café and
Claire Mc Partlin
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, set around Cherry Blossom Mews, a small gated mews in London that housed small businesses, with accommodation attached that the owners lived in, so a really lovely community feel. It had characters that initially seemed quite perfect, but as the book went on their secrets were revealed.

Sadie is the main character and she owns and runs her spa in the mews. There are also various other characters with a 'charity' shop, builders cafe, Yummy Mummy cafe, bookstore, an artist studio
Gaby B.
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
'The Fall and Rise of Sadie McQueen' was a surprising and thoroughly enjoyable read. The style reminded me a little bit of 'The Flatshare' by how easy it was to read and how the writing just flowed. I often forgot that I was reading and felt completely part of the story. Juliet Ashton's style is very natural.

I hovered between liking and disliking the plot for a while. At first I thought that it was moving too quickly and that the rest of the book would be trying to spin out the beginning at the
Grace J Reviewerlady
I've been looking forward to reading this novel for a while, and I was rewarded with a rich, tender story.

Sadie McQueen owns a spa business set in Cherry Blossom Mews, a special place off the main thoroughfare made up of lots of small, independent businesses which flourish together. By way of their weekly 'business meetings' they all interact and support each other, although it may not always seem like that on the surface . . .

This is a unique and heartfelt book; cleverly structured, we get to
Mitch
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fall and rise of Sadie McQueen was a little bit predictable but still an enjoyable read. The main character is Sadie McQueen she is a widow who has escaped her old tragic life and moved away to London, to try and rebuild her life after the death of her husband and daughter, she lives and has a beauty salon in a little mews which is filled with a variety of similar lost souls and misfits and their businesses, the highlight of the month is when they hold a residents meeting where the big ...more
Angela  Mellor
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Fall And Rise Of Sadie McQueen is a book from a genre I don’t really read a lot from, preferring a good thriller but this book snared me in with its quirky characters and the ups and downs of the main character, Sadie’s life.
I liked the layout of this book, at the start of each chapter is an email stating the weekly agenda for the Cherry Blossom Mews Residents Meeting, this was a good way of getting to know the residents and ensuring you didn’t forget them. All the residents are great
Julie
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my second read by Juliet Ashton and she is fast becoming my new favourite author! I love how she creates a little community of people or a ‘framily’ who we grow to love as we weave in and out of their lives. Juliet writes in such a way that she makes you feel that you are there with these people and you want to be part of this community (I also felt this way with the family in ‘The Sunday Lunch Club). There were several twists in this book that I didn’t see coming and this really kept me ...more
Jody
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Juliet Ashton is one of my favourite authors so I couldn’t wait for her latest book and this certainly doesn’t disappoint!

The book is set around Cherry Blossom Mews and told through the eyes of Sadie, who is recovering from a tragedy. Sadie is surrounded by the other residents of the mews who have formed a family of sorts, all of whom are on a journey of their own. A surprising twist changes Sadie’s life forever. Warm and uplifting, it’s a great case study of relationships.

This story is full
Kerry-louise Jones
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This a tale of how friends become family and a lesson on avoiding isolating yourself. It used the life of a woman living/running a business in London to cover a variety of serious topics such as mental health, addiction, bereavement etc whilest still having some light hearted and amusing moments.

Overall I found the story enjoyable and well written but slightly to staged in places - so many slight misunderstandings that cause a ripple!

Would recommend to a friend for a summer read.

Thanks to
Kim
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many twists and turns in this book i couldn't keep up with it. But i stuck it out and I'm glad i did, it was charming and made me giggle out loud on more than one occasion. The many characters were likable, funny and sad.

The story revolves around a group of neighbours and business owners in Cherry Blossom Mews. Who all have a story to tell. Some tragic, some funny. Sadie McQueen is the central character, who owns the spa.
It was a good feel good story with some hilarious moments.

I would
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another lovely book by Juliet Ashton with an increasing family of characters (in the literal sense of the word) all based around the London corner that is Cherry Blossom mews. Told through the eyes of Sadie who has been a resident for a couple of years now we uncover heartbreaking secrets, lies, jealousy, love and community. It’s a very good study of human weaknesses and thoughtfully written. This isn’t lighthearted by any means however there’s a good mix of gentleness in it so it’s an ...more
Annarella
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant, poignant and heartwarming story that made me smile and moved at the same time.
It's the first book I read by this author and won't surely be the last as Ms Ashton is a talented storyteller.
The cast of characters is well thought and interesting, the story flows and keeps you hooked, the setting was vividly described.
It was an excellent read, highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.

• Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • A Home From Home
  • A Million Dreams
  • The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
  • The Magnificent Mrs Mayhew
  • Five French Hens
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Three Little Truths
  • The Other You
  • Five Steps to Happy: An uplifting novel based on a true story
  • Messy, Wonderful Us
  • The 24-Hour Café
I write books. I'm an introverted extrovert, a homebody who loves going out, a nosey parker who can keep secrets. I live by the Thames. My study feels like the centre of the universe. I share my house with Matthew, who writes songs and composes film music in his studio upstairs, and our daughter, Niamh. Two dogs sleep at my feet all day, Mavis and Zelda, both pedigree idiots.

I'm five foot six,