Start by marking “State of Fear” as Want to Read:

(John Bailey #2)

Catching the world's most wanted terrorist was supposed to be someone else's job...

John Bailey has a history of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The former war correspondent has been kidnapped and tortured – twice. Finally he’s living something that resembles a normal life. But all that changes when a terrorist murders a woman in front of Bailey in London.

The
Published July 22nd 2019 by Simon Schuster Australia

To ask other readers questions about State of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about State of Fear

Start your review of State of Fear
Kylie D
I approached this book with great anticipation, having loved the author's debut novel The Greater Good, hoping that this offering would live up to it's predecessor. I'm happy to say it did, and more!

In this book John Bailey, a journalist battling demons, is witness to a terrorist attack in London, one that has far reaching consequences. Trouble has a habit of following Bailey, and back in his home town of Sydney things start to escalate as the war on terror touches Bailey personally. With the
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Following the publication of The Greater Good in 2018, author Tim Ayliffe has released his second novel, State of Fear. A white knuckle political thriller, State of Fear again features John Bailey, a complex but intriguing lead, who displays a sense of dogged determination in his quest to seek retribution for a terrorist attack.

State of Fear follows The Greater Good, which was released last year to great success. Penned by an author who knows the
Karen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Remember the good old days of thriller fiction, with bad guys that were easy to pick and the good guys plentiful on the ground. Even the lone wolf types seem to inhabit a lot of corners, on a lot of dark streets, in a lot of mean places. Nowadays thriller fiction is reflecting the current day reality of terrorism, in particular political terrorism, in that the people committing the offences are often misguided, radicalised young people; the real bad guys are lurking presences in the background; ...more
Gloria Arthur
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-bookshelf
State of Fear

This was an engaging, fast paced and thought provoking read. The story was well written and a modern day Australian crime thriller.

John Bailey as a Middle East Correspondent was kidnapped and tortured fifteen years ago by extremists in Iraq and since has had to deal with the demons of his past. He is still a journalist and living a practically normal life but soon his world will be turned upside down once again.

He is invited overseas to London to give a talk about Islamic terrorism.
Belinda
I really enjoyed this story. Part of it was because it was set in Sydney and Western Sydney and I loved reading the setting so well depicted. However, there were times that the author diverged to make commentary about the government that didn't relate to the story. For example, in one part there was talk about the government's agenda in regards to the building and construction of apartments. Similarly there were times where the descriptions of a street like Parramatta Road lasted for a page. I ...more
Nahum Hall
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought The Greater Good because I know a relative of the author. I bought State of Fear because of how good The Greater Good was. I will now buy every book that he writes because this book is brilliant.
Alice
I really enjoyed this fast-paced thriller. It is set in a very real world where terror attacks occur far too frequently and way too close to home - in this case both Sydney and London. The story is well-written, fast-paced and engaging. It wasn't until I was almost half-way through that I realised that it's the second book in the John Bailey series, but I didn't feel like I had missed anything not having read the first one.

There were a few things I would have liked more explanation on at the end
Jay Dwight
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Tim Ayliffe's debut and this follow up is another top read.

Journalist John Bailey finds himself right in the middle of a terrorist plot. Thought provoking, fast paced and frighteningly realistic, the story alternates between Sydney and London.
Tony Nielsen
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tim Ayliffe has brought his A game to "State of Fear". His go-to character is called John Bailey whose past is littered with being in the wrong place at the wrong time as his role as a war correspondent saw him kidnapped and tortured twice. Now his life changes again as a woman is murdered right in front of him in London.

The mastermind behind this brutal attack is Mustafa al-Baghdadi, the very same man who tortured Bailey in Fallujah ten years earlier. He's also Number One on the FBI's most
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
State of Fear is an entertaining contemporary thriller from Tim Ayliffe, his second novel featuring journalist, John Bailey.

Moments after Australian the veteran war correspondent concludes his speech for an audience in London’s Chatham House about his experience at the hands of a Islamic terrorist organisation, Bailey witnesses a radicalised jihadi youth slit the throat of an innocent woman in St James Square. Less than 48 hours later, back home in Sydney, Bailey learns that the spectacle was
Nic
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This isn’t a genre I usually read (i.e. terrorist plots and the like), but this was an enjoyable book. The book follows John Bailey, a journalist, who finds himself caught up in a terrorist plot as a result of his past as a war correspondent in Iraq.

The plot was very fast-paced, especially the last quarter where I couldn’t turn the pages quick enough! Most of the book is set in Sydney, which personally I found enjoyable as it’s my hometown and I love hearing place names and locations that I
Jeannette
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book blurb...
‘Ayliffe delivers a taut, nail-biting page-turner straight from the headlines, stamping his mark on the modern day thriller’
John Bailey has a history of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The veteran war reporter has been kidnapped and tortured – twice. Finally he’s living something that resembles a normal life. But all that changes when a terrorist murders a woman in front of Bailey in London.
The mastermind behind the attack is Mustafa al-Baghdadi – No.1 on the FBI’s
Tanya
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
John Bailey is a war correspondent journalist from Sydney, living a life of trying to recover from too much alcohol drinking, nightmares of being held hostage by one of the worlds most dangerous terrorists and trying to keep his romantic relationship going with his girlfriend Sharon Dexter, who works as a cop with the Counter Terrorism Unit.

Bailey’s ordeal begins when he gets a phone call from an unknown caller but he instantly recognised the voice-the wanted terrorist who tortured and held him
Deb
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Simon & Schuster for my book.

Boy, does this book move along. Straight into the action and it keeps coming. There is deceit, action, corruption, threats and even a little bit of romance. John Bailey, the former war correspondent is a believable character. He wants a normal life, after being kidnapped and tortured, but becomes involved with a deadly terrorist. Bailey's life is certainly not normal.

Very exciting read.
Lyn
Aug 26, 2019 added it
A real page turner that taps into present day politics and concerns. The fear that terrorism generates is captured in this book. The radicalisation of young people is an issue, as well as racism and religion. The ending seemed a bit rushed, and I feel there must be a sequel somewhere in the offing.
Caroline Poole
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very current and so believable terrorist story. Hang on for fast paced, action that barely stops for breath! Great writing that hooks you in as you follow this quest to catch terrorists, save lives, live your life and stay alive.
Martin
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of the same but sufficiently well written to keep one engaged. The terrorist events in major world cities must provide writers of this genre so much fodder !!! akin to gruesome murders for SVU or Criminal Minds .
Alison Wootten
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Think this was better than book 1 (The Greater Good). Bailey is a wee bit super-human, but likeable and readable.
A positive shout out to all the good journalists who strive to give us news in an honest, truthful way.
Peter
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Somewhat formulaic but a good read nonetheless.
Simona
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scary - with a sad dismiss
Georgie Greene
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping yarn, never a dull moment. Tim Ayliffe has an amazing sense of location, and just the right amount of description to keep you hooked. I loved it.
Benjamin
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wrenching.
Brooke Michie
Jan 13, 2020
Liesl Smit
Sep 29, 2019
lynda Kearns
rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2019

• Six Minutes
  • Peace
  • Where the Dead Go
  • Bruny
  • Dead Man Switch (A Billie Walker Mystery #1)
  • Good Girl, Bad Girl (Cyrus Haven, #1)
  • The Accusation
  • The Siberian Dilemma (Arkady Renko #9)
  • The Weekend
  • Elevator Pitch
  • Snake Island
  • The Strangers We Know
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Taking Tom Murray Home
  • In Darkness Visible
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
Tim Ayliffe has been a journalist for almost 20 years and is the Managing Editor of Television and Video for ABC News. He has also worked as TV News Editor for ABC News and the Executive Producer of ABC News Breakfast.

Before joining the ABC in 2006, Tim worked in London for Sky News as a digital and television journalist. The Greater Good is the first book in a three-book series featuring John

John Bailey (2 books)