Start by marking “Tough Love: My Story of the Things Worth Fighting For” as Want to Read:
Tough Love: My Story of the Things Worth Fighting For

Tough Love: My Story of the Things Worth Fighting For

Recalling pivotal moments from her dynamic career on the front lines of American diplomacy and foreign policy, Susan E. Rice--National Security Advisor to President Barack Obama and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations--delivers an inspiring account of a life in service to family and country.

Although you may think you know Susan Rice--whose name became synonymous with Benghaz
Published October 8th 2019 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Tough Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tough Love

Start your review of Tough Love: My Story of the Things Worth Fighting For
Jean
Susan Rice was the Ambassador to the United Nations during Obama’s first term. She was the National Security Advisor during the second term. Prior to that she was a career State Department diplomat in charge of part of Africa.

The book is well written and researched. This is Rice’s memoir of her life to-date. She tells of the problems of being an African-American female attempting to excel in a white man’s world. Rice attended Stanford University. She won a Rhodes Scholarship and grad
Karen
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read many autobiographies through the years. There were some that I truly enjoyed reading, and in all honesty, I will admit there were a few that I just could not get into and never finished reading. However, I have never read one that completely captured my attention throughout the entire book...an autobiography that pulled me in from the opening prologue and held my attention to the point that I read the entire book in one sitting. That all changed when I read Tough Love: My Story of th ...more
W. Whalin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Well-Crafted Memoir

I knew about Susan Rice from her public roles as UN Ambassador and National Security Advisor for President Obama. I knew little else until listening to TOUGH LOVE from beginning to end. Listeners will learn about her childhood, her education at Oxford, her work in politics and much more. I found TOUGH LOVE fascinating and well-done and worthwhile listening.

Rice is transparent about her family and other relationships. For example, you learn why she selected her S
Cristie Underwood
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read many biographies and memoirs about powerful women, but this one really grabbed my attention. Susan Rice is known for appearing on Sunday shows about Benghazi, but this book thoughtfully and powerfully allows the reader to go on the journey with her to that point in history. She is honest and straightforward when explaining why she made the choices she had to. I found this to be a brilliant read and am hoping we hear more from Susan Rice in the future.
Donna Hines
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
'There's a lot of hate out there'...we must allow the ability to hear each other and voice our differences in a meaningful and insightful way.
What exists today didn't arrive on our doorstep overnight yet we know that the tactic being used by DT may be 'brilliant yet devious' in using his greatest weakness of corruption by using it to his advantage with sweetheart deals for his kids, to licenses for clothing lines,& we the American public are paying the price through his own personal an
Bettie
Oct 05, 2019 marked it as wish-list  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bettie by: Rachel Maddow

Rice: We've been through worse than this and come out stronger: Susan Rice, former U.S. ambassador to the U.N., contrasts Donald Trump's corruption intentions toward Ukraine with Joe Biden's work on internationally supported goals of fighting corruption and encouraging a fledgling democracy in Ukraine, and further notes that as difficult and frightening as the Donald Trump era is, Americans have dealt with bigger problems.
Mary Sisney
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before an insane white supremacist occupied the White House, I never would have read this book because I've never been as interested in politics, especially foreign policy. Rice's detailed discussion of how she and first the Clinton and then Obama administrations dealt with foreign crises was both fascinating and frightening. Whether describing successful actions like solving the Ebola problem quickly, renewing ties with Cuba, or completing the nuclear agreement with Iran or discussing less succ ...more
Patricia
Nov 17, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm half way through Rice's book. At this point, I'd say this book would best be called Rice's memoirs--memoir with the S, like the books written by presidents and important men in earlier centuries. The material is detailed, describing in depth her childhood, schooling, and rise to public office. At first, I felt bogged down by the detail, but as I reach the halfway mark, I realize how much I appreciate her incredible historical documentation of the genocides in Africa, the Arab Spring, Benghaz ...more
Marieka
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was really, really impressed with Susan Rice’s memoir. First of all, her background and family history are fascinating. She alludes to her privilege, yet doesn’t gloss over the strife in her family and hits a delicate balance that honors her parents, their history, and all of their complexity. Then there are Susan Rice’s achievements on her own, which are formidable. She packed so much into her account and related both her triumphs and her failures in her many roles so even-handedly. I’m so gl ...more
Jill
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Genuine and real. Susan Rice is one amazing lady, and she truly lets you get to know her during this book. She reveals her struggles and triumphs, as well as that of her family and ancestors. She speaks not only of her time in the Obama administration, but shows who she is behind the public persona. I admired her before reading this book, but now feel as though she’s taken on so many more dimensions. The lady who you see on TV is real, approachable, oh-so-smart, funny, and badass. A great read f ...more
Peter Tillman
Oct 26, 2019 marked it as not-interested
Barton Swain, @WSJ:
"What’s most offensive to this reviewer, however, is her decision to place these narrow self-vindications within a 500-page book full of family anecdotes and hokey adages and tedious renditions of policy views. Both Ms. Power’s and Ms. Rice’s apologias might have worked well, shorn of banalities, as 5,000- or 6,000-word essays for the New Yorker or the Atlantic. But an essay doesn’t slake the thirst for vainglory."
Barton Swain, @WSJ:
-- but there is a cute photo of Rice, Powers & Pres. Obama, which is worth finding. I didn't know Powers was so big! Or Rice so small . . .
David Rubenstein
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
I am sure this is an excellent book for people who wish to know more about the experiences of the wonderful Ms. Rice. I found it quite dry. I certainly missed important context when I skipped ahead and read of her pulling out of her nomination as secretary of state, but that section seemed rather self-serving regarding her motivations. I wish her well, but do not have the motivation to finish reading this.
Veronica
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tough apparently means profane.
Books by Susan Rice, Valerie Jarrett, Rachel Maddow and Madeleine Albright give readers a view of what happened during the 20th century in war, energy and petroleum industry people among nations affecting our current political situations in a data driven world of international business affairs.

Read them if you care to know.
Barbara
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I stay current with politics and enjoy it, but this book got a little dry. Too many names, too much detail which could have used some editing. I listened to it, and Ms Rice has a monotone quality which is hard in long stretches. I admire Ms Rice and she’s certainly done well but I just couldn’t continue after the 60% mark.
Cindywue
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Susan Rice tells her story of growing up in D.C. with privilege and expectations to make a difference - to serve. Her story is one of an overachiever who made a difference, accomplished so much - and yet, is left with the feeling that it is never enough - and there are forces at work to tear it all down. The struggle is real.
Martina Clark
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous and humbling. Susan Rice shares personal glimpses into her most extraordinary life. I thoroughly enjoyed “Tough Love” and felt like I got a mini course in ethics, national security, and civics. Her contributions to our country are amazing, as is she.
Libriar
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've listened to several autobiographies/memoirs by women who are involved in politics. This wasn't my favorite but I'm glad that I listened to it.

Strengths: When Rice talks about her personal life - from growing up to current times. When Rice inserts her own commentary/views on a political situation. Rice narrates the audiobook.

Weaknesses: It's a bit dry - lots of political situations told in a way that history books might tell them. It's long. Rice talks quite slowly (I
Charlie Shaw
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it very much, though at times it became a safari through dense undergrowth.

The last chapter is particularly relevant and succinct. Her characterizations are aptly put. It is a liberal's perspective but the last chapter issues us all a warning.

It is a lot to read.
Colette Kern
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A clear American voice for troubled times.

Rice's memoir is readable and broad, spanning the personal and detailing complex foreign policy. Forthright, strong, yet humble. Highly recommend.
Sue
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting to hear her perspective. Book a bit slow.
Ann
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Superb - difficult read in many ways -but well with the effort
Mlg
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bright, outspoken lady. The book needed a good editor. Way too much extraneous information.
Barbpie
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, politics
Thank you for your service, Susan Rice. And thank you for a memoir that lays everything out, including the personal, which made it all the more readable.
Doris Raines
Nov 18, 2019
Nov 05, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • The Art of Fielding
  • Slaves Among Us: The Hidden World of Human Trafficking
  • The Hermit King: The Dangerous Game of Kim Jong Un
  • Africaville: A Novel
  • Mrs. Everything
  • The Water Dancer
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Stealth (A Stone Barrington Novel)
  • A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
  • The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations for Clarity, Effectiveness, and Serenity
  • Permanent Record
  • All Summer Long
  • Finding My Voice: My Journey to the West Wing and the Path Forward
  • My Polar Dream
  • The Royal Court (A Medieval Tale, #4)
Ambassador Susan E. Rice is currently Distinguished Visiting Research Fellow at the School of International Service at American University, a Non-Resident Senior Fellow at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, and a contributing opinion writer for The New York Times. She serves on the board of Netflix and the John F. Kennedy Center for t ...more