Start by marking “The Art of Flaneuring: How to Wander with Intention and Discover a Better Life” as Want to Read:
The Art of Flaneuring: How to Wander with Intention and Discover a Better Life

The Art of Flaneuring: How to Wander with Intention and Discover a Better Life

A fun and practical guide to cultivating a more mindful and fulfilling everyday life by tapping into your inner flaneur—perfect for fans of Marie Kondo and The Little Book of Hygge.

Have you ever been walking home from work and unexpectedly took a different path just to learn more about your neighborhood? Or have you been on a vacation and walked around a new city just to
Published October 22nd 2019 by Tiller Press

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Flaneuring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Flaneuring

Start your review of The Art of Flaneuring: How to Wander with Intention and Discover a Better Life
Amanda
Quick review:
I really enjoyed this treasure of a book. Flaneuring is something that I've always craved but never quite knew how to describe it or achieve it. Owen does a fantastic job here and has suggestions for all types of flaneurs, even the ones who can't be physically active.

Full review:

"Flanuering" is a word I had encountered before and immediately loved. As the subtitle indicates, it's a sort of wandering without a set destination. I think we've all done this at one time or another -
McKinley
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Whether you’re looking for a new experience, a place to escape to where you can blend into the background, a way to catch up with a friend who loves walking as much as you do, or simply a better, more interesting life—flaneuring is for you.”
( pending looking through the final book)
The Art of Flaneuring by Erika Owen was a short fun read, and I found it to be a compelling excuse to indulge my habit of getting lost, something I usually only tolerate. If you’re a fan of books like The Little Book
Jason Muckley
I loved Erika Owen's book, "The Art of Flaneuring!" This was a very helpful guide on "flaneuring," a concept born from old French men from years past who would aimlessly wander looking for romance in the day-to-day details that oftentimes go ignored. The book takes this decades-old concept into the 21st century with a host of ideas for flaneuring in the modern age.

Ms. Owen also makes it clear time and time again that this concept isn't just for old French men either. She gives great tips for
Linda
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This delightful book presents fresh ways to enjoy life, and in particular, walking. A current day "Flaneurer" is someone who lives in the moment and takes in their surroundings in a relaxed and meditative way. Instead of walking just to get somewhere, or for exercise, this book promotes ways to make your walk even more fulfilling and to help add interest and relaxation to your day. Stressed at work? Flaneur.! Subway too crowded? Flaneur! This book also includes ways to Flanuer if you are ...more
Dasha Slepenkina
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-reads
A big thank-you to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for giving me a copy of this book for an unbiased review.

3 stars - Liked it

This is a delightful read for anyone who loves walking – specifically, flaneuring, or “wandering with intention.” Owen delves into the history of flaneuring, tips and tricks on how to incorporate this activity into your daily routine, and flaneuring as a global phenomenon.

Overall, I found the book very enjoyable. I’ve wandered with intention all over the globe –
Alicia Bayer
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting little book that teaches you how to flaneur (wander for fun) in all different ways. Apparently flaneuring was something upper class white French men used to do when they had enough leisure time to just stroll around seeing, learning and thinking things. It is apparently the latest cultural "in" thing, like hygge a few years ago.

Flaneuring sounds kind of fun but I'm not sure a book is really needed. One web page could easily sum up what it is and give some ideas. This is
Scycer
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Purposeful wandering... what a wonderful idea. The aim of this book is to bring some semblance of control in the chaos that is modern life.

Flaneuring is a french word that originally that depicts that philandering attentions of a drunk on the path outside of the drinking spots. The misadventures and remarkable conversations/observations that tend to follow such behavior.

However in today's context Flaneuring is a lot more and is present in all cultures in some form or other such walking after a
Diane Hernandez
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Art of Flaneuring is to wander intentionally in an aimless way. It is a technique to use mindfulness, live in the moment, and get some exercise.

It was first practiced by rich, slightly drunken Frenchmen in the late 1800s. In modern times, it isn’t so limiting. In fact, flaneuring can be done at work, while driving, or when traveling. It is healthy to let your unconscious mind free-rein over where you go for a few minutes. Though, of course, you eventually want to return to your starting
Cat Cassel
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Was hoping it would be useful for my upcoming writing course on art/architecture/street culture in Dublin, which takes as its framework the flaneur. Was very surface-level, and kind of juvenile. There's several pages about what I should pack to go on a walk, or how I can cyberflaneur from my desk at work. *eyeroll* Nothing in here I can assign to my students as model writing about flaneuring...
Jami Murphy
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I have been a flaneur all my life. This book is me and my weird walking habits put into book format. It’s good to know other people do this too.

I really liked this book and think it would make a lively gift for some who already likes walking or just wants to think about experiencing life in a new way.
Leah
Nov 29, 2019
Denise
Oct 28, 2019
Annie
rated it did not like it
Aug 17, 2019
Erin MacDonald
Oct 18, 2019

• Å gå. Ett skritt av gangen
  • The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments
  • Inspired Artist: Draw Every Little Thing: Learn to draw more than 100 everyday items, from food to fashion
  • After the Flood
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Rose City Vice: Portland in the 70's — Dirty Cops and Dirty Robbers
  • Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Things That Art: A Graphic Menagerie of Enchanting Curiosity
  • My Shit Life So Far
  • I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
  • Nonsense: The Power of Not Knowing
  • The Night Gardener
  • Don't Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your Passion into Your Career
  • The Pursuit of Endurance: Harnessing the Record-Breaking Power of Strength and Resilience
  • The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life
  • The Danish Way of Parenting: What the Happiest People in the World Know About Raising Confident, Capable Kids