Start by marking “The Art of Flaneuring: How to Wander with Intention and Discover a Better Life” as Want to Read:
The Art of Flaneuring: How to Wander with Intention and Discover a Better Life

The Art of Flaneuring: How to Wander with Intention and Discover a Better Life

A fun and practical guide to cultivating a more mindful and fulfilling everyday life by tapping into your inner flaneur—perfect for fans of Marie Kondo and The Little Book of Hygge.

Have you ever been walking home from work and unexpectedly took a different path just to learn more about your neighborhood? Or have you been on a vacation and walked around a new city just to t
Published October 22nd 2019 by Tiller Press

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Flaneuring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Flaneuring

Start your review of The Art of Flaneuring: How to Wander with Intention and Discover a Better Life
Sheri
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, self-help
A light read about mindfully taking in the world around you as you wander through life. Most of us already do this to some extent, and thus the read can come across as rather trite with its "stop and smell the roses" counsel, but I did appreciate the outside-the-box thinking of novel ways to flaneur given limited ways and means. I agree with other reviewers that this isn't really book-length material but this format will likely reach more readers than a magazine article or blog post, and it does ...more
Amanda
Quick review:
I really enjoyed this treasure of a book. Flaneuring is something that I've always craved but never quite knew how to describe it or achieve it. Owen does a fantastic job here and has suggestions for all types of flaneurs, even the ones who can't be physically active.

Full review:

"Flanuering" is a word I had encountered before and immediately loved. As the subtitle indicates, it's a sort of wandering without a set destination. I think we've all done this at one time or another - espe
Temi Panayotova
Very very boring and just simple and has nothing new to it.
Jason Muckley
I loved Erika Owen's book, "The Art of Flaneuring!" This was a very helpful guide on "flaneuring," a concept born from old French men from years past who would aimlessly wander looking for romance in the day-to-day details that oftentimes go ignored. The book takes this decades-old concept into the 21st century with a host of ideas for flaneuring in the modern age.

Ms. Owen also makes it clear time and time again that this concept isn't just for old French men either. She gives great tips for wom
Boxofdelights
May 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Walking is good for you. Walking without a goal except to be here now is good for you in a different way than walking to get somewhere or accumulate steps.

This book is more of a magazine article, printed in a large friendly font with lots of white space and decorative elements, and padded out with 25 pages of the author's friends' and relations' answers to questions like "Do you feel better after walking?" and pages of blank lines for you to write in your own answers to those questions.

"Walking
Alley
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I always have loved the idea and experience of flaneuring, but never knew it had a name until I picked up this book. Easy to digest, funny and relatable - this book was such a joy to read. Can’t wait to put some of these practices and ideas into motion. Will definitely re-read again.
Moonkiszt
This non-fiction book is more a general encouragement / journal based on reimagining the concept of what a Flaneur is . . . to that end I direct you, Dear Reader, to wikipedia. There is an interesting romp through all the different roles, types, characteristics, and trends through the ages of how to recognize one in the wild, catch sight of in urban settings or discern on your garden path.

Starting in the 16th / 17th centuries with a negative label of words meaning basically "lazy loungers walki
Linda
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This delightful book presents fresh ways to enjoy life, and in particular, walking. A current day "Flaneurer" is someone who lives in the moment and takes in their surroundings in a relaxed and meditative way. Instead of walking just to get somewhere, or for exercise, this book promotes ways to make your walk even more fulfilling and to help add interest and relaxation to your day. Stressed at work? Flaneur.! Subway too crowded? Flaneur! This book also includes ways to Flanuer if you are physica ...more
McKinley
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Whether you’re looking for a new experience, a place to escape to where you can blend into the background, a way to catch up with a friend who loves walking as much as you do, or simply a better, more interesting life—flaneuring is for you.”
⭐️⭐️⭐️ (⭐️ pending looking through the final book)
The Art of Flaneuring by Erika Owen was a short fun read, and I found it to be a compelling excuse to indulge my habit of getting lost, something I usually only tolerate. If you’re a fan of books like The Lit
Kate
Dec 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
This did nothing for me. If you know what flaneuring is, then you already know everything in this book. If you don't know what flaneuring is, then this book isn't going to really give you anything concrete. The advice is pretty common sense (ranging from what to pack, not to wander in places where you're unsafe, to stop when your feet hurt, etc.). I'm not sure why this is a book. It's disjointed and honestly would barely be enough information for a series of short blog posts.

Not my jam.

Thanks N
Flannery Francis
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
This book felt like an obvious attempt to cash in on the hygge hype. We don’t need to be told to wear layers, take apples on picnics, or explore the internet. This book lacked charm and originality.
liv
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
how fitting that i read most of this while walking
Dasha Slepenkina
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-reads
A big thank-you to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for giving me a copy of this book for an unbiased review.

3 stars - Liked it

This is a delightful read for anyone who loves walking – specifically, flaneuring, or “wandering with intention.” Owen delves into the history of flaneuring, tips and tricks on how to incorporate this activity into your daily routine, and flaneuring as a global phenomenon.

Overall, I found the book very enjoyable. I’ve wandered with intention all over the globe – mos
Alicia Bayer
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting little book that teaches you how to flaneur (wander for fun) in all different ways. Apparently flaneuring was something upper class white French men used to do when they had enough leisure time to just stroll around seeing, learning and thinking things. It is apparently the latest cultural "in" thing, like hygge a few years ago.

Flaneuring sounds kind of fun but I'm not sure a book is really needed. One web page could easily sum up what it is and give some ideas. This is n
Gigi
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think it was a greatly written book incorporating not only the voices of the author but insights from the most influential people/flaneurs to the everyday man.
However, I sincerely doubt the author placed alluring information. She merely provided advice and location but I guess at the root of it, that is what it was crafted to be. A quick, self-help book that gets one into a state of action rather than having comfort within the pages of the literature.
I recommend this to someone who favors imme
Jami Murphy
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I have been a flaneur all my life. This book is me and my weird walking habits put into book format. It’s good to know other people do this too.

I really liked this book and think it would make a lively gift for some who already likes walking or just wants to think about experiencing life in a new way.
Adriyana Grotseva
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short and simple book about flaneuring, how to do it outside or even inside. The benefits of it is increased imagination and more movement, switching off from the daily stress and getting closer with the people you do flaneuring with. The last chapter also looks into the different cultures and how they do flaneuring.
Lars Larson
Feb 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
The premise was interesting but the book fell flat due to lack of historical details, simplistic writing, and few insights to glean. This book should have been an online article. Notice your surroundings and you will enjoy life more.
Brooke
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute book that provides suggestions on various ways to take an aimless wander, the benefits of which include living in the moment and appreciating your surroundings.
Akriti Rajput
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this book at a store I had wandered into while I was 'flaneuring'. If anything I learnt a new word and found a new way to unwind and relax.
John'alee
A delightful little book that encourages one to get out of their comfort zone and M O V E!! And while you’re ‘flaneuring’ around town or a park to.....slow down and ‘look and see’!
Jennifer Sawyer
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a very long blog post.
Scycer
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Purposeful wandering... what a wonderful idea. The aim of this book is to bring some semblance of control in the chaos that is modern life.

Flaneuring is a french word that originally that depicts that philandering attentions of a drunk on the path outside of the drinking spots. The misadventures and remarkable conversations/observations that tend to follow such behavior.

However in today's context Flaneuring is a lot more and is present in all cultures in some form or other such walking after a
Violeta
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook while walking to/from work and, honestly, upto the middle of it I was paying less and less attention to it, missing (and never bothering to come back to) whole sentences or even paragraphs because of other thoughts engaging my mind. I'll tell you why this is: I've been a flaneur for a loooong time, long before I even heard there was a word for it. So pretty much everything this book had to tell me at the beginning was old news to me, stuff I didn't think you needed to ...more
Diane Hernandez
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Art of Flaneuring is to wander intentionally in an aimless way. It is a technique to use mindfulness, live in the moment, and get some exercise.

It was first practiced by rich, slightly drunken Frenchmen in the late 1800s. In modern times, it isn’t so limiting. In fact, flaneuring can be done at work, while driving, or when traveling. It is healthy to let your unconscious mind free-rein over where you go for a few minutes. Though, of course, you eventually want to return to your starting poin
Lewis Elliott
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a additive resource, but not one I particularly felt super necessary to my learning. The history of Flannery? Super interesting and wonderful to connect to mindfulness. The social and political awareness of this book is amazing! Never have I read a book that speaks of going on intentional walks by yourself, but notes as a woman you should be mindful of when and do so in well lit areas. It’s interesting to see a mindful action also be very conscious of something such as sexist, unhealthy ...more
Perri
Dec 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Trite, no good takeaways, no interesting historical anecdotes, all-around crummy writing. Not worth the two hours or so of your time it takes to read when most people picking up this book already likely like taking mindful walks. Here's the book, minus the two-hour sacrifice of your life: Pay attention to your surroundings when you walk, wear appropriate clothing, walk alone (or go with someone you like), people have been walking and writing about it for a long time, maybe you should walk and wr ...more
Cat Cassel
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Was hoping it would be useful for my upcoming writing course on art/architecture/street culture in Dublin, which takes as its framework the flaneur. Was very surface-level, and kind of juvenile. There's several pages about what I should pack to go on a walk, or how I can cyberflaneur from my desk at work. *eyeroll* Nothing in here I can assign to my students as model writing about flaneuring...
Nina Cammalleri
This was really a read to reaffirm my love for walking. In my opinion, you can’t rate a bible
InJoy 2075
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
Not quite sure how she could write a whole book on wandering.

I listened to the first two chapters and the last just in case I was missing something. Nope.

Netting it out...just wander and explore the world.

• The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments
  • After the Flood
  • Art Matters
  • In the Dream House
  • Suspicious Minds (Stranger Things #1)
  • Great Women of the American Revolution
  • Spy
  • Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies (Pottermore Presents, #1)
  • The Life of Captain Marvel #1