Start by marking “Queen's Gambit” as Want to Read:
Queen's Gambit

Queen's Gambit

(Margaret Harkness and Arthur Conan Doyle #2)

Spring, 1897. London. Margaret Harkness, now in her early forties, must leave England for her health but lacks the funds. A letter arrives from her old friend Professor Bell, her old comrade in the hunt for Jack the Ripper and the real-life inspiration for Sherlock Homes. Bell invites her to join him in Germany on a mysterious mission for the German government involving th ...more
Published September 17th 2019 by Seventh Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Queen's Gambit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen's Gambit

Start your review of Queen's Gambit
Lelia Taylor
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
I wouldn't want to have lived in the Victorian era but I really do enjoy reading books set in the period and, with an author's effective worldbuilding, getting immersed in it. Bradley Harper does that for me very well.  Not only can I envision myself settling in for a chat with Margaret and all her friends; I think I would truly like these people should they suddenly become real today (many actually were real more than a hundred years ago).

I did miss having more of Margaret's interactions with A
Jessica Smith
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved everything about this book but the ending. Not to give to much away but it was to rushed, creating this feeling of insensitivity. The research behind the story was amazing, the extras at the end also amazing. I really enjoyed the constant shocks of the plot twists and the overall girl power feel of the book.
Sara Rhodes
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this very good mystery featuring Margaret Harkness. Everyone should read book 1 and this one as well. Thanks to the author for dedicating the book to my son Derek McFadden too! I hope to read more wonderful stories by Bradley Harper!
Aleen ~Lampshade Reader
Originally posted on my link text

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.

Queen's Gambit featured more of Margaret Harkness, but the plot was a little different than the previous book. It focuses on one of the assassination attempts on Queen Victoria. This one was a little slower for me and not as interesting as A Knife in the Fog. I guess there was too much gun jargon. The dual POV between the assassin and the protagonists was interesting. It makes the villain more human and
Richard F.
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By Richard F. McGonegal

With “Queen's Gambit,” author Bradley Harper again demonstrates mastery of the rare ability to blend historical fact with compelling mystery fiction.

Mr. Harper enlists author and feminist Margaret Harkness to take readers on a first-person tour of late nineteenth century London. She is accompanied by a police inspector and his daughter as they dodge an anarchist's bullets and attempt to foil an effort to assassinate Queen Victoria during her Diamond Jubilee.

The dim, gaslit
George
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
After being introduced to the three main characters in his first book, I looked forward to spending an enjoyable read with them again. Unfortunately, the plot got in the way of my enjoyment of the characters. Margaret had lost the grittiness of her life in the first book. Her life had become more comfortable and too predictable. Maybe it was the storyline and my fondness for the characters in the first book that was not compatible. I would have liked more Doyle and the Doctor and less of the spy ...more
BC
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
History that sings.

I found this author at a conference panel when he discussed his debut work, A
Knife in the Fog, an Edgar finalist and now Silver Falchion winner which still
gives me chills! Hearing the author and reading the book left me hoping for
more about Margaret Harkness, and here it is. Queen's Gambit delivered more
about her and an intriquing backstory as well.

Conan Doyle and Dr. Bell are less involved this time but Margaret and
company make an excellent team as well, and tension build
Mark&Karen
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Queen's Gambit is both a well-written follow-up to Bradley Cooper's previous A Knife in the Fog and an excellent stand-alone book. In other words, if you haven't read Knife, you can go ahead and enjoy Queen's Gambit on its own merits. The characters are very well-developed; one sees their motivations and feelings as well as their actions. The author has used the backdrop of historical events to weave a captivating mystery that leads to unexpected turns of events. I'm looking forward to his next ...more
Donna Howard
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is paced wonderfully , the characters are fully developed , the setting is interesting and well who doesn't like a historical thriller that is well written? I especially liked the way the author built suspense by counting us down to the assassination attempt .

I read this author's first book, A Knife In The Fog and enjoyed it greatly, but this book is even better. So well written, and researched you swear you are there.
John Peters
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing tale of historical fiction involving the attempted assassination of Queen Victoria. A great story with well-developed characters that keeps the reader’s interest throughout. Each plot turn makes the pages turn quicker until the end. Hard to put down sounds over used, but it is true. It has anarchists, an assassin, shady characters, low-lifes, cops, robbers. romance and intrigue.
Luna Bookish
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very wonderful sequel to A Knife in the Fog. I continue to enjoy the authors well researched writing, plot, and characters. It was a very enjoy ride and I read it in a single day I was so pulled into it. Will be keeping an eye out for more books from this author!
Julie Kovach
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical fiction!

The writing is detailed yet tight and the descriptions of the events are memorable. Can’t wait til the next one in the series!
Lynn Horton
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read Queen's Gambit pretty closely on the heels of the first book (A Knife in the Fog) in this series. I'm just as impressed with this second book as I was by the first. Harper's storytelling is vivid, his pacing excellent. He does a beautiful job depicting a young female character—something I believe difficult for male authors. I also like that he's not afraid to kill off characters of whom I've become fond, as he does in this book.

I's love to have seen Watson with a greater role in Queen's G
Sep 28, 2019
K-BRC
Sep 29, 2019

• The Solace of Bay Leaves
  • Hooks Can Be Deceiving (Crochet Mystery, #13)
  • A Flair for Chardonnay (Sadie Kramer Flair, #1)
  • Murder Cuts the Mustard (Beryl and Edwina Mystery, #3)
  • A Flair for Drama (Sadie Kramer Flair, #2)
  • A Flair for Beignets (Sadie Kramer Flair, #3)
  • A Javelin for Jonah (Mrs. Bradley, #47)
  • The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6)
  • The Order (Gabriel Allon #20)
  • The French Widow (Hugo Marston Book 9)
  • The Lantern Men (Ruth Galloway, #12)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes, #1)
  • My Life as a Villainess
  • The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3)
  • The Ember Blade (The Darkwater Legacy #1)
  • The Redemption of Alexander Seaton (Alexander Seaton, #1)
  • Murder on the Vine (Sullivan Sisters Mystery #1)
Bradley Harper’s debut novel, A Knife in the Fog, involves a young Arthur Conan Doyle joining in the hunt for Jack the Ripper and was released in October 2018. A Knife in the Fog was the winner of the 2019 Killer Nashville Silver Falchion for Best Mystery Novel and was a Finalist for the 2019 Edgar Award by the Mystery Writers of America for Best First Novel by an American Author.

Harper’s second

Margaret Harkness and Arthur Conan Doyle (2 books)
  • A Knife in the Fog