Start by marking “The Resurrectionists” as Want to Read:
The Resurrectionists

The Resurrectionists

(Salem Hawley #1)

Having won his emancipation after fighting on the side of the colonies during the American Revolution, Salem Hawley is a free man. Only a handful of years after the end of British rule, Hawley finds himself drawn into a new war unlike anything he has ever seen.

Published June 4th 2019 by High Fever Books

To ask other readers questions about The Resurrectionists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Resurrectionists

Start your review of The Resurrectionists
Char
Short and fast paced, THE RESURRECTIONISISTS delivers!

Salem Hawley is a free black man ever since helping the Colonies fight against the British. Now he is helping Americans battle against creatures of the cosmos. Doctors are trading in flesh, not only to further their science but to triumph in their nefarious efforts to bring forth these aforementioned creatures. Do any of Salem's actions make his make life as a black man at that time any easier? No, no they do not. Will he be able to help his
Hunter Shea
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was lovingly cooked up by Hicks with everything I love from the horror spice rack - a deliciously evil blend of Lovecraft, Martyrs, Frankenstein and Grand-Guignol madness. The concept is bonkers and the gore is unrelenting and off the wall. A hell of a way to kick off what will be a killer series.
Bark
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, dark-fiction
The Resurrectionists has tentacles and that’s all you need to know!

But I’ll tell you a little more.

Set in 1788 and featuring a world where racial tensions run high, Salem Hawley is an emancipated black man doing his best to fight for what is right. He is decent and dedicated and it’s these traits that lead him down a dark and disturbing path and straight to a deviant group of Resurrectionists who are up to unimaginable things. They rob graves, they mutilate the bodies and, like the idiots they a
Jennifer Gaarder
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visit me at jenchaosreviews.com

Goodreads Rating: 4.21/ My Rating: 4.00.

Review:
From the Amazon Breakthrough Award Finalist comes a new series. The Resurrectionists is the first in the Salem Hawley series combining mystery and horror in a time of struggle and race and gender inequality.

A freed man of color finds that a friend’s wife and child’s graves are savaged by unruly physic or students of medicine and decides to take action. With the friend at his side, things take a turn for the worst.

Trage
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scream-mag
Review originally appeared in the Sept/Oct 2019 Issue #56 of SCREAM Magazine

I normally don’t talk a lot about the plot of a book in my reviews but I think this is a good exception, “New York City is on the cusp of a new revolution as the science of medicine advances, but procuring bodies for study is still illegal. Bands of resurrectionists are stealing corpses from New York cemeteries, and women are disappearing from the streets, only to meet grisly ends elsewhere.”
This horror novella packs in
Jeremy Hepler
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With The Ressurectionists, Michael Patrick Hicks is firing on all cylinders and has laid the foundation for an electrifying cosmic horror series. Delivered in his signature smooth and captivating writing style, the addictive novella is as terrifying and action-packed as a slasher flick, but also saturated with literary merit at its core, exploring social issues like racism, classism, and the ramifications of medical experimentation. It was such a fun, provocative read. I can't wait to see what d ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I'd been meaning to pick up some of Michael Patrick Hicks' work for quite some time after hearing friends rave about it, so I'm really pleased to have finally gotten the chance to do so with The Resurrectionists! I'm a big fan of subversive Lovecraftian horror, so I jumped at the chance to read this little novella featuring a recently freed slave as its hero, and I won't hesitate to tell you that Salem is so damn easy to root for. He's a genuinely likeable character and I definitely found myself ...more
Mindi
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love cosmic horror and historical novels, and Hicks combines both to make the first book in the SALEM HAWLEY SERIES a novella that I could barely put down. I'm ready for book two now!

I've always had a morbid interest in grave robbers or resurrectionists, and the stories about the real life duo of Burke and Hare have always been fascinating to me. Hicks uses men like the famous duo to procure bodies, but he also makes the anatomists in this tale exceptionally villainous. THE RESURRECTIONISTS ta
Bill
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very well written and dark Lovecraftian tale from Mr. Hicks.

The plague doctors are looking to rip open the “thinnies” and bring forth the creatures that lurk behind the curtain.

They just might do it, too.

Another super solid effort from MPH and highly recommended.

I received a complimentary copy of this title from Netgalley and have voluntary left this honest review.
Joanna Smith
Wow, disturbing stuff! Hicks bases his story on the New York Doctors’ Riot of 1788 and even included some characters from the actual event with some unpleasant embellishments. This horror novella is extremely graphic so be aware of that if you want to read it. It was ok but I didn’t love it as it’s not really my thing.
Emma
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this as a work of historical fiction rather than as a horror story. Some scenes were pretty gruesome although the Lovecraftian horrors were good fun.
Tim Meyer
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfect blend of historical and cosmic horror. Hicks has definitely created something special here, simultaneously authentic and otherworldly. Great characterization, vivid descriptions, and a cast of villains that will make your skin crawl. The first Salem Hawley book could be the start of something big.
Meenaz Lodhi
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story of Salem Hawley and his quest of searching the disappearance of bodies from the cemetery.. takes him to unknown occult scenarios in this horror historical fiction. A perfect prequel novella!
Unnerving! ... It truly is the perfect blend of gore, horror and action. An adrenaline-fueled, no punches pulled, onslaught of gruesome action! The very definition of a page turner.
Emily
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
"The secrets to so many of life's mysteries could only be divined in the study of death."

First, look at this damn cover. It's creepy and gorgeous, and I kind of want a poster of it. This definitely drew me in to The Resurrectionists.

Although this book has such an interesting synopsis, I struggled to connect with the story. It's a short book with a lot of violence packed in, and eventually it started to feel gratuitous. At times, it felt misogynistic to me because the torture of some female char
Toni | Dark Reads
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s, netgalley
The Resurrectionists, the first book in the Salem Hawley series, is a novella of historical cosmic horror.

Thanks to NetGalley, Michael Patrick Hicks and High Fever Books who provided an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review

'Full throttle gore, wonderfully written and not for the fainthearted!'

Read the full review @ Dark Reads

Sjgomzi
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-list-2019
First of a new series. This cosmic horror/historical novel mashup delivers in every way. A great protagonist, scary villains. A frightening and oh so disturbing premise-this book entertained the hell out of me. Michael Patrick Hicks is one of my favorite writers, and if you enjoy this, I highly recommend checking out his other books as soon as possible. Trust me. You won’t be sorry!

Steven
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to shake Michael Patrick Hicks's hand and buy him a drink.

After reading The Ballad of Black Tom and leaving that novella severely disappointed, I wondered if any writers would be able to tackle Cosmic Horror and issues like racism with a more deft touch. And then I read the Resurrectionists, closed the book and said "WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU ALL MY LIFE?!"

The Resurrectionists as you can see, is the first in the Salem Hawley series, named after the titular character who I reckon looks
The Grim Reader
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
What another great read from Michael Patrick Hicks. The Resurrectionists does with cosmic horror what I've wanted other cosmic horror tales to do ever since I read The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle. The novella is set in old New York City at time in which racism is rife. Salem Hawley, a free black man, uncovers a dark secret as to where stolen bodies are being taken and what is happening to them by a group of plague doctors. This leads to a door being unlocked and the spawning of a host ...more
Chris
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this first novella in a planned series, Hicks weaves a brutally fast paced and wholly terrifying historical story set in the Colonial American city of New York. Bodies have been stolen from the freed black cemetery, as well as those less fortunate, being abducted and killed for nefarious purposes. A cabal of insidious doctors begin a ritual using an infamous ancient text to summon otherworldly powers...and bring forth destruction to mankind. Salem Hawley, an educated freed ex-slave aims to fi ...more
Tracy Robinson
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come for Sci Fi and Scary in June

Here it is!

“Few things in life, he had discovered, were as satisfying as holding a human heart in one’s own hand….”

This is the second book I have read by Michael Patrick Hicks. Last year, his novella Broken Shells was one of my top books of 2018. I went into this with an expectation of lush, yet exacting detail, and a unique storyline. If you’ve ever read one of his pieces, whether a book or a book review, you know that this guy can WRITE. I was not dis
 Martin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now that was a dark and gruesome read. So begins this compelling series by the great Michael Patrick Hicks who has given us the bloody BROKEN SHELLS last year. Set after the American Revolution, this cosmic horror tale finds a freed black man on a quest to make wrong things right for a friend in need. What follows is quite delicious in the sense that the reader has no way of knowing exactly where this is all going. Sharp writing, in-your-face violence, this Lovecraftian-style novella will make y ...more
Azzurra Nox
I love the Lovecraftian feel of this book. Just wasn't a fan that it was part of a series. I'm not really big on series, so had I known otherwise I wouldn't have requested for it.
Red Lace Reviews
Top Read 2019

Salem Hawley may be a free man after the American Revolution, but his troubles are plenty. A good friend seeks his help, turning Salem's attention to the graves being emptied and the deceased experimented upon and studied by medical students and physicians. It goes ignored, yet Salem is determined to do something, anything. If only he knew about the rituals being performed, the Old Ones being worshiped, right under his nose. If only he knew that New York City is on the cusp of ruin.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, horror
A novella with a historical backdrop and a swirl of cosmic horror is just too interesting to pass up!

This quick read is the first in a series that will follow Salem Hawley, a free black man living just after the American Revolution. What I loved about this narrative is how it was interested in telling a broader story about racism during this time period, how it mixed in those real-life tensions and injustices with a compelling, dark supernatural story.

Basing some of the events in the book on re
The Behrg
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Resurrectionists is an ambitious project, but then again a historical cosmic horror novel has no chance existing without that ambition. Fortunately, Michael Patrick Hicks has the chops and delivers a story that is as frightening as it is unique.

There's a lot to discover and hone in on in this novella, from the rampant racism of the time period to the deviant plans of the "plague doctors" to our lead character, Salem Hawley, who commands your attention with every scene. Then there's the viol
FanFiAddict
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: ★★★★

Synopsis

New York City is on the cusp of a new revolution as the science of medicine advances, but procuring bodies for study is still illegal. Bands of resurrectionists are stealing corpses from New York cemeteries, and women o
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: night-worms, owned
Do not be fooled by the size of this one! What appears as a short novella is packed FULL of cosmic horror, violent racism, gory medical advances and experimentation, and has a touch of history, as well! This book is full of grave robbers and body exhumations, too!

One of the things I love most about this story is that the monsters encroaching on our existence aren't necessarily the biggest threat. The biggest threat to our lives is PEOPLE. People can be downright terrible. And the villains in thi
Lou
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There will be contained within this book: beak-masked surgeons, grave robbers, evisceration, plague cultists, black magic, monsters, the mystical, otherworldly Old Ones, believing “Suffering is always the key,” and experimentation, with the days of old and prejudices of old.

Opens with scene of horror with the strange, a beaked mask man removing a heart, that may have you hooked in the tale.
“A slender man draped in a thick, waxed overcoat stood over her, his hands gloved in shiny black leather to
Kevin Jones
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Historical fiction meets Lovecraft in this quick, engrossing novella of cosmic horror. Using the Doctor's Riots of 1788 as a backdrop, our hero Salem Hawley must fight against a band of sadistic, blood-thirsty cultists guided by The Necronomicon and bent on unleashing the wrath of Eldritch gods on post-Colonial New York. References to Lovecraftian monsters abound along with solid nods to "At The Mountains Of Madness," possibly "The Horror at Red Hook," and definitely "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" ...more
Kendra
May 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Over-written and remarkably misogynist and racist, despite what I'd hoped early on would be a black hero figure, this novella describes the work of white doctors who are intent on bringing forth Lovecraftian horrors into post-Revolutionary War New York. The gore and body horror is described in minute and tedious detail, and the inclusion of stereotypes like the sexy exotic black sex worker with the good soul makes this a definite miss.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Dark Game
  • Fire & Rain (The Fearing #1)
  • True Crime
  • Will Haunt You
  • The Magpie Coffin
  • Night Shoot
  • We Live Inside Your Eyes
  • Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)
  • The Reddening
  • Of Foster Homes and Flies
Michael Patrick Hicks is the author of several horror books, including The Resurrectionists, Broken Shells: A Subterranean Horror Novella, and Mass Hysteria. He co-hosts Staring Into The Abyss, a podcast focused on all things horror. His debut novel, Convergence, was an Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Finalist in science fiction. He is a member of the Horror Writers Association.

In addition to writ

Salem Hawley (2 books)
  • Borne of the Deep

Articles featuring this book

A sinister institute for "extranormal" children. A couple whose dream home attracts unsettling guests. A woman who becomes we...