Start by marking “Stars Descend (A Game of Stars and Shadows #1)” as Want to Read:
Stars Descend (A Game of Stars and Shadows #1)

Stars Descend

(A Game of Stars and Shadows #1)

The Elves have come down from the sky in their ships, their countenances full of light and their bodies, power. But they rule over us humans with iron fists, and without mercy.

Vampires stalk the streets, lurking in shadows and the cover of darkness. Their lust for blood is never sated, and the nights are filled with the screams of their victims.

I’m just a street rat, a t
Published March 29th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Stars Descend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stars Descend

Kendra Ardnek
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pros: Awesome worldbuilding + one of my favorite romance tropes.

Cons: A love triangle muddling up my favorite romance trope.
Sarah Ashwood
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read in a long time!

O M Goodness. This is the best book I've read in a long time. I actually got to read it twice, as a beta read and an ARC read. I loved it both times, and this is my honest opinion.

Stella, the MC, is a great character. She is savvy and willing to take risks to provide for her challenged brother. Indeed, her love for her brother is one of my favorite things about her. Stella is tough, but not one of those characters who is so tough she has no weaknesses or fear.
Savannah Jezowski
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating premise

I purchased this book when it was on sale because SPACE ELVES... I’ve never heard the like and figured I had to give it a go. And when the book was chosen by one of my book clubs as the book of the month, I decided to bump it up on my reading list.

It’s been a while since I flew through a book in an afternoon, I was that hooked. Even the fact this story explores two of my lesser favorite tropes (love at first sight and the notorious love triangle) did NOT turn me off. Rather,
Sharon Hughson
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This title earns 3.5 stars from me. It broke several of my cardinal rules for "you will NOT earn five stars if you do this."
It started out slow. As in, I read the first two chapters and thought, "Well, I have all month to read it." (This is a book club read. Although I like post-apocalyptic stories this is in Amazon's sci-fi section, and you know how I am about THOSE books.)
Then I got to chapter FIVE and I didn't want to put it down. Stella and Eldarean are both engaging characters. Although I s
Laura A. Grace
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Confession: I was so sad when this story ended and had to go comfort myself with laughter by reading my favorite WebToons. LOL!

Stars Descend was very very good and was sooooo into this story. I loved the unique setting, the space elves, and especially Stella. I was also quite impressed how the author did an incredible job having me go from one ship to another and then sort of coasting in the middle because I was so divided. Ha!

Definitely was a fast-paced read and simply NEED book two immediatel
M.K. Casperson
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There were so many things I loved about this book. This is a love triangle you’ve never met before. I’m not going to give anything away because that would be tragic, but seriously, these characters are fresh and relatable. Don’t go into this expecting a flawless prince. Eldaren is hilarious without trying to be, simply because he is clueless about Stella’s culture. Kara Jaynes did an epic job showing the clash of elven culture vs American culture, and I loved it. Very realistic.
I’m pretty ADD ab
Moriah Jane
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fresh and well written tale involving elves, vampires, and a dystopian-like society! Interesting and thoroughly entertaining from start to finish!
Elizabeth Mathis

I’m just a street rat, a trash picker. I didn’t expect him to choose me. The Prince of Elves could have anyone, so why me?

Even as my heart sings at the e
K.M. Carroll
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is better than the summary makes it sound.

First off, full disclosure, I'm a sucker for the Fated Mate trope. And I also dig super-logical guys who aren't good at expressing emotion. Tossed into a romance, that's just so much fun for me. And that's what this book delivers. Eldaren is a "space elf", and he didn't think it was possible for the mate-bond to spark with between an elf and a human. He's having to keep it secret because of politics. Stella is so used to elves being the enemy--
C.O. Bonham
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twilight has nothing on space elves.

Stars Descend by Kara Jaynes, has a most interesting premise. What if Elves were from space and their mission was to heal polluted planets. Apparently Vulcans were copyrighted.

Naturally humans see them as a threat. As Overlords come to concur.

I liked the story of Stella, a street savvy girl who winds up getting caught by the elven prince, who of course realizes he can't live without her.

Oh yeah, and then there were vampires.

My one and only complaint is that b
Veronica Lynn
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I loved this book so much I stayed up all night reading it the evening I received my ARC copy.

Stella is an amazing character—clever, witty and kind— and I am in love with Eldaren. He is too wonderful for words.
All the characters in the book are fantastic but Stella and Eldaren stand out because I want to be Stella and I want to be with Eldaren.

The book is perfectly placed, the story is captivating, and the writing is superb.

An absolute must own!!!!
Selina
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
This was really good! It's paced well so that it's hard to put down (especially in the second half), and there are plenty of twists. There were a few things that could have been improved, and I'm not a huge fan of love triangles, but the good definitely outweighed those details in my opinion. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to the next one!
Shannon Stanaland
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great characters. The relationship between the characters felt genuine. The story had some very creative elements. It's great to see a new spin on the classic elves and humans story. The only problem with it is the major cliff hanger and not being able to read the next book yet. I'm seriously dying to see what happens next.
Michelle Bruhn
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! I’m very new to the world of urban fantasy and don’t typically choose to read it for myself, but this book was the book of the month in a book club I’m part of, so I gave it a whirl. No regrets! Space elves, a twist on the fated-mates trope, a non-pushy look at environmental issues, and interesting characters. I’m very interested in continuing the story when the sequel comes!
Marlene
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a fun, nutty read. Not a book to take seriously but to me that was the appeal. There were times I rolled my eyes a bit. There is obviousness to much of it but for me it made the book a fun read. Not a book to take serious but fun.
Kandi Wyatt
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A unique blend

I love the feel of urban fantasy mixed with fairy tale and myth and science fiction.
Lovable characters as well as those you want to hate. Action-packed goodness in a page-turning, gripping story.
C.S. Johnson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute and captivating story of space elves, vampires, and a reluctant love triangle. My only complaint is that I needed book 2 yesterday.
Janeen Ippolito
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clever use of the fated mate trope and some great character exchanges! Quick, fun little read.
Erika
Francine Fergus
Jun 01, 2019
Katy
May 07, 2019 added it
I'm not sure how to rate this book, so I'm leaving that blank for now. I'm disappointed it has no ending.
Kati Roth
Jun 04, 2019
rated it did not like it
Apr 16, 2019
Patricia King
May 07, 2019
May 02, 2019
Kyle
May 18, 2019
Claire Banschbach
Jun 01, 2019
Kara Jaynes is a fantasy and children's book author. She loves rainy days, long walks, and fairy tales. She's been writing since she was very young and has more stories in her head than she could possibly write.