Start by marking “Surf And Sand” as Want to Read:
Surf And Sand

Surf And Sand

Surf And Sand: The Girl In The Seaside Hotel is the story of a young girl and her family living in Hermosa Beach during the late 1950s, the so-called "Gidget Era" of surfing. A formerly grand old hotel becomes the setting for the girl's growing obsession with solving the mysterious disappearance of another girl 21 years earlier in the hotel's basement swimming pool. After ...more
Published February 2019 by W.B. Edwards

To ask other readers questions about Surf And Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surf And Sand

Start your review of Surf And Sand
Goldwave
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This novel has a gentle quality, predominantly due to the fact that the protagonist is an eleven-year old girl, but it is an engrossing mystery story nonetheless. Nor does it come across as juvenile, as if it were meant for the young teen reader. It’s an unusual approach that enables the author to both tell a specific story while simultaneously revisiting a time and place that played a large part in defining the nature of the Southern Californian soul.

Murder mysteries unfolding along California’
E
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surf and Sand is the cleverly told story about a young girl who in 1959 lives in an old hotel on the beach with her mother and brother. Eleven year old Nell has come to love the hotel with all its halls and passages, but she especially loves the pool. She has come to think of it as her own. When she learns that twenty-one years ago a beautiful young actress vanished from the hotel, Nell makes it her mission to find out what happened to her. But, there is more. Now, another girl has gone missing. ...more
Christine Lowe
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn to this book partly because I grew up living near this area. There are many things that felt familiar to me as I read about the beaches in the area. The Morgan family was not typical. Ginger and her two children, Lonnie 14 and Mary Nell 11, lived in a past its prime hotel on the beach. Ginger did the books for the hotel. Her husband was in Saudi Arabia working on an oil pipeline.

There are two storylines that played out very cleverly at the hotel, both involve missing young women. The
Lee
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good mystery, which captures your attention from the beginning. Something is happening to young girls at the Surf and Sand hotel. Nell is an eleven year old who explores the hotel and beaches by herself, since her older brother is busy with his new surfing hobby. They recently moved to Los Angeles, and now are learning to be beach kids. As Nell discovers a basement pool that she can swim alone early in, she's been sneaking down there every day. Soon, she realizes something is di ...more
Sharon
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a new author to me, and this book is a little gem that I recommend everyone who loves mystery books to grab this one and enjoy a great read! This isn’t your modern-day mystery, it’s a cold case from 1938 meshed with a current missing girl in 1959. What more could I ask for? It’s history and mystery, it’s full of intrigue and so very well written. The characters are interesting, and the location is well described.
I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leavi
Michael Landfair
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
W.B. Edwards Delivers

Nell is a precocious 11 year old who feels the presence
of a woman who disappeared from the hotel pool one evening twenty seven years ago. The case was unsolved and Nell wants to find outwhat happened. She gets help from a detective who will retire in six months who originally investigated the original disappearance. Now there is a new case that seems connected to the first. Nell is smart and determined. I liked this book a lot.
Five Stars!
Pat Eroh
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a first read for me by this author and I am so glad! Wonderful characters and an awesome plot that intrigued me and kept me guessing! I find this author to be very talented and I hope to read more of his books.

Gwynn
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story. Enjoyed reading this book. Love story with twists and turns. Characters are wonderful and add a lot to the story.

Kelly
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book caught my attention from the very start and kept me glued to my Kindle to the very last word! A perfect Summer Read..

I received an Advanced Readers Copy from the author through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are entirely my own.
Susan
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It brought back memories of the era I grew up at the shore. It made me feel like I was back there again. Very descriptive great characters. Much better than just a beach read however. The book includes a riveting murder mystery too.
Destiny Brown
Mar 30, 2019

• The Other Side of Him
  • Drowning With Others
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • The Vanishing Season (The Collector, #4)
  • 29 Seconds
  • The Body Keeper (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries #3)
  • Fatal Fortune (  Dr. Pippa Durrant Thriller Series)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • The Silence
  • Little Girls Sleeping (Detective Katie Scott, #1)
  • The Books of the Dead (A Death in Paris Mystery #2)
  • Seven Devils (CODA Book 2)
  • Dead Guilty (Calladine & Bayliss #9)
  • Teddy and Teri
  • Broken Trust
  • A Perfect Lie
  • The Raid (Ryan Decker #2)
  • Black and White (The Dismal, Florida Suspense Series Book 1)
1 follower
W.B. (Bill) Edwards is a retired telephone employee who majored in English for two years at Rio Hondo College in Whittier, California, from 1966 to 1968. A Vietnam era Navy veteran, motorcycle enthusiast, surfer, tai-chi practitioner, and dedicated dreamer, Edwards is an Indie author with two novels published, and is working on a third.

News & Interviews