Start by marking “Irrelevant (Relevance #1)” as Want to Read:
Irrelevant (Relevance #1)

Irrelevant

(Relevance #1)

Mallory's been hiding who she is for 18 years...

But now her terrible secret has been exposed.

Branded Irrelevant, Mallory is cut off from everything she knows.

Irrelevants are criminals, banished to live in the old city. But in the wasteland between the new city and the old, she stumbles on Cristan.

He's bitter, paranoid, and possibly crazy...

He may also be right about every
Published June 28th 2019 by Double Edged Sword Publishing (first published June 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Irrelevant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irrelevant

Start your review of Irrelevant (Relevance #1)
Danielle's
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dystopian world with a romance by Sarah Addison-fox. Yes please sign me up! I received an ARC however I have pre-ordered this for 99p.

I like this Author her Stormers Trilogy hooked me.

Mallory has always know she is different but not fitting the mould isn’t a good thing. Now eighteen she has to pass the ultimate test but she doesn’t know the right answer. Her family are important to her world but this doesn’t change how Mallory works things out.

Banished to the old city she has to find a way to
Elizabeth Dragina
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memorable
No author should ever have the right to twist my emotions so much!! I DIDN'T LET YOU DO THIS TO ME FOX!! WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME??

Yes, that correct. I'm now yelling at a book. *sucks in calming breath*

Let me tell you all. Fox can write romance. And when she sets out to write it, she writes it GOOD. I mean breath-stealing, heart-stopping, terror-inducing GOOD. Fox is one of the only authors I cannot control myself while reading. The whole plot sucks me in because of the twists, so I can't br
Lori
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mallory is different, her mind works in ways that in the world she lives in; cannot accept her or the others like her. In a futuristic city, where a number means how you'll function within it- Mallory is an irrelevant: a person seen as worthless and is dumped into a wasteland to survive or die. What is brilliant about this book is how the author takes you on a journey of seeing differences makes us unique and should be accepted as adding to society and not a burden to be tossed aside.
Raechel Lenore
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Second read review:
I was in the mood for a reread, and since I've been wanting to reread this one since I finished it the first time, I finally just gave in .^.^ Still loved it and its characters. So good. Mallory really is a favorite, and Autism is shown really well in this story. It was nice rereading it because I felt like I better understood some of what was going on, and am now diving right into book two!
But again, content warning. Some swear words, and there was one scene at the end that w
Abigail
Oh my word, Sarah Addison Fox does it again.....she has created a beautiful book and then ripped my heart at the end. That’s right folks, she wrote yet another cliff hanger. I swear Ms. Fox is the queen of cliff hangers.

This book was amazing and I cannot wait for the second one to come out!! There has not been a book that I have not liked by Ms. Fox. She truly has a gift in writing!!
Janeen Ippolito
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A riveting YA dystopian romance that hits all the familiar beats in fresh ways, and does a great job with neurodiversity and getting into the head of the MC. Fun and oddly encouraging to read. Can't wait for book two!
Ingrid Vermeulen-Quakernaat
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a peek into a possible future

November 29, 2129 is the year in which this story takes place. After there has been a WWIII, the government decides to label everything that is different as irrelevant and irrelevant you cannot check, so people want to get rid of that.

A beautiful story of 2 young people who experience the world differently and have difficulty getting to their emotions or keeping them under control. A blossoming love between 2 people who are also chased by their own community from jea
Annie Twitchell
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Oh. My. Gosh.

This has everything. Neuro-diversty. Dystopian with a strong background. It's set in Australia, I think, a futuristic Australia. Let's be honest, getting a little tired of it always being the US, ya know? *stares at US anyway*

Let's see.

Mallory is a precious little cinnamon bun who must be allowed to paint at any costs. I love the simple and straightforward manner that Sarah used to present Mallory and how her mind works. I can tell that a lot of research {and, I've read, personal
Rachael Ritchey
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Firstly, beautiful cover. Secondly, this is an interesting twist on dystopian that is definitely reminiscent of Divergent but totally its own thing. I think Sarah Addison-Fox does and excellent job of building her worlds with just enough detail to let your imagination go wild and still keep you on the right track, and her characters are all different and easy to keep situated it your head.

The only nit-picky thing I have with this New Adult (NA) book is just how much the two main characters are t
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
*I received an eARC from the author. This does not affect my review.*

From the start, I was exciting about this story. I could tell it was one I wouldn't be able to put down...

And guess what?

I was right!

It's funny since I've known for years that I was neural-divergent but only recently tested (still waiting...) but it's something I also noticed in reading. I'm always drawn to those characters who are more like anti-heroes, and morally gray, never really one side or the others. So Dystopians are
Genni Piatt
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was so well-written! I was hooked from the beginning and it was a quick read for me. I loved the world that the author built. The dystopian world reminded me of the Divergent series and the Hunger Games. I especially love that this book celebrates neurodivergence and those labelled "different."

The society within the city limits in built based on a hierarchy of relevance. The more relevant you are, the more powerful you are. That's all that Mallory knows as her eighteenth birthday appro
Blaire Hammond
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Irrelevant by Sarah Addison-Fox Spoiler Free Review.

*I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review.*

Man this book was GOOD. it had me hooked from the get go. The world, it was excellent. Full of interesting and well developed characters and the story itself was different and addictive. I thoroughly enjoyed my time reading this book, so gave it a solid 4.5 out of 5 stars.

I highly recommend picking up this book. It was fantastic and I can't wait to read more, it was somet
LooseBoots
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My goodness. What a brilliant thrilling book. An addictive adventure story with a Jekyll and Hyde flavour. Lots of mystery with these solid characters. Lies and deceit mixed with discovery and adventures with a generous dash of passion. That more could you ask for an opening book in a page turning series.
Does it make you want to read the next episode?
Absolutely.
Britt
“An action-packed love story celebrating Autism and Neuro Divergence.”
Irrelevance is definitely action-packed. The standard YA romance found in this book is enhanced by Mallory’s autism — a trait you, like other disabilities, don’t really see a whole lot of in books — and the backstory behind why she was abandoned by her society.
I am not autistic in any way, so my one hesitance about this book would be whether the representation is considered good by those with the disability. Though I’m typing
Brittany Smith
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know what took me so long to read this! This book is a fantastic, fast paced emotional roller coaster of a book!

The characters are wonderfully detailed and relatable. Mallory, our MC, is perfect in her role as the uneducated newbie to the group. Yes, she is quite ill-informed about life, and doesn’t know how naive she is but it’s absolutely perfect for the book. She is believable and it makes it so much easier for us to like/empathise with her. Christian is a fantastic male lead-he’s got
Brittany Goodman
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved thw characters! And intense struggles. The story sucked me in immediately. I can't wait to continue the story!
Allyson
When I first heard that Sarah was releasing a dystopian series, I instantly wanted to dive into it! Here are my thoughts on Book One, Irrelevant!

What I Liked:

Dystopian Culture
The government and culture of the dystopian world the author created is believable, and feels like something that could actually happen in the future. To me, that's the best aspect of a dystopian culture, and I feel like the author perfectly captured that.

Featuring a Character with Autism
Autism is portrayed believably (I've
Laura A. Grace
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
VIDEO REVIEW HERE: https://youtu.be/Wg3jSCBWWdU

Another epic read from author Sarah Addison-Fox!

I absolutely LOVE dystopian! One of my favorite genres and this story absolutely delivered in all areas for me. The world-building was spot on and gripping. Made me angry as the characters start seeing/realizing/understanding what the "G" has been doing. Also, made me curious in learning the WHY of what they have been doing.

Which brings me to Cristian who is absolutely so sweet! That man has a heart of
T.
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-beta-prize
I received Irrelevant, book 1 of the Relevance series, from the author/publisher (via BookFunnel). The gifting did not determine the review/rating, which reflects my honest opinion.

A VERY interesting plot and a unique protagonist, Mallory. The storyline is layered and surprisingly fresh, as I worried this could too closely parallel the Divergence series. Society issues such as segregation, and discrimination are front-and-center, and more personal issues such as self-acceptance add heart. An un
Susie Mitchell
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book very much. This author is fantastic as she uses a lot if detailed descriptions of places, chacters, moods etc... Mallory is a good character but for me she cries too much. Plus over and over book describes others and her "staring" as a description. It was briefly boring to me to read about all the "staring" between characters. It could be cut out and no one would miss it.
For a girl stamped as Irrelevant as Mallory and cast out at the age of only 18 to a old creepy city maybe I
Jessica Landberg
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed reading Divergent and/or Razorland, you'll probably enjoy this!

I instantly fell for the main characters, Mallory and Cristan. Maybe Mallory was a bit on the weepy side, but she's been thrown into unknown surroundings and is not used to people caring about her.

I like that the book brings up Autism and Neuro Divergency, not a common subject in any novel, let alone in a YA. Great work!

We don't get all the answers about this dystopian world, and it keeps you guessing - and wanting m
Dawn
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Engrossing, mysterious, frightening and scary are all appropriate words to describe the story. I liked the Divergent series and this book is just as interesting but without training and less fighting. The characters are super and I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Lyn Blair
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delightful! Awesome! What a wonderful job of character development and painting the picture of the "Relevant" world.

Mallory was so beautiful, sensitive and artistic with her love of colors and creative imagination that took her to a beautiful universe of magical characters of her own creation. I fell in love with her from the start.

Cristan was everything you could hope for in a male character -- intelligent and strong but also gently sensitive and loving in a way that warmed your heart. We've ye
Denise H
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The blurb of this book was enticing so I wanted to give it a try; unfortunately, it was not for me. I received an ARC of this book and did read it in its entirety but I struggled through parts. It was definitely a different type of storyline than I have read before and the author’s descriptions and characterizations were well-written and even though I struggled with some of the book, I was still curious enough to keep reading to find out what would happen next. I was just disappointed to find it ...more
Katherine Paschal
On their 18th birthday, all citizens are tested to determine their worth, the higher the assigned number the more important they are to society. When Mallory goes for her testing on her birthday, something goes wrong and she is deemed irrelevant, not wanted in society. Mallory has always had to repress who she really is, but it seems that the truth has come out. Kicked out of the only world she has ever known, Mallory is now living outside the walls with the other irrelevants. The world is full ...more
BookWolf
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-books
Irrelevant by Sarah Addison-Fox

Happy release day to Irrelevant! I haven’t wanted to post this review any sooner than I had to as I hate leaving what may be perceived as a negative review, especially knowing everything indie authors do to get their books out there. But I received this book in exchange for my honest review, and that’s what I’m going to give you — without feeling guilty! So here we go.

Cons:
I never really connected with any of the characters. Usually even if I don’t like th
Anie
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopia, romance, ya
This book is addicting. From the first page, I was hooked. The story pulled me in and didn't let go till the last page. It's been a loong time since I've read a great dystopian book & this one is top-notch!

Relevant people are allowed to live in the city, protected from the sun with UV shield, with all the medicine they could ever use, safe and protected. At the age of 18, each citizen is tested, to determine the level of relevance. In the worst case, they are deemed irrelevant and cast out never
Kaye
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ONE AWE INSPIRING TREAT!!!
Completely blown away! One refreshing spin with all the passion and wonder you're captivated from the start. Witnessing their trials and tribulations as they strive for survival trying to understand friends from foes. Sarah definitely shows her true colors with this beautiful, mind blowing wonder. All the insight, research, she's one incredible and gifted author with an amazing imagination and eye for detail. The dynamics and presentation in layer upon layer that you pe
Alicia Harrietha
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Completely and totally impressed!!! This is the first book by this author for me and I was fully engrossed from start to finish and I don't even want to talk about the cliffhanger...it was a big one. I cannot imagine ever living in a world that who you are and how you live is determined by the number you are given and if deemed irrelevant than you are seen as just that...irrelevant and banished. Mallory was just that, she was different, therefore she was not worth anything to anyone. That was un ...more
Stephanie
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for giving me an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

This dystopian book was quick and easy to read. I found it hard to get into at first because the world building is a bit on the simplistic side, however at the half way mark things started to pick up. I wish this had been a bit more balanced — I would have liked it more if the author focused more on the world/politics and a little less on the characters’ inner monologues. But those who prefer character-heavy s

• Adaptive (The Elite Trials #2)
  • Reactive (The Elite Trials #1)
  • Drift: A Young Adult Dystopian Novel (The Flow Series Book 3)
  • Immersive: A Young Adult Dystopian Romance (The Elite Trials Book 3)
  • Flow (The Flow Series Book 1)
  • Break (Flow #2)
  • Recruitment (The Resistance Trilogy #1)
  • Quell: A Young Adult Dystopian Novel (The Flow Series Book 4)
  • The Pairings (The Pairings, #1)
  • Render (The Resistance Trilogy #2)
  • Something Blue
  • Reckoning (After the Thaw #4)
  • Falling (After the Thaw #3)
  • Rising (After The Thaw #1)
  • Breaking (After the Thaw #2)
  • Rebellion (The Resistance Trilogy #3)
  • The Carrier (The Pairings, #2)
  • The Princess Trials (The Princess Trials, #1)
Sarah Addison-Fox is a New Zealand-born misfit who writes action-packed fantasy with a smattering of punch ups, mega amounts of romance and a dash of family values.

Relevance (3 books)
  • Irreverent (Relevance #2)
  • Irradiate (Relevance #3)