Start by marking “The Write Escape” as Want to Read:
The Write Escape

The Write Escape

Take one heartbroken Chicago girl

Literary editor Antonia Harper had it all—the career, the man, the future. That was then. Now Antonia is jobless, alone and at a crossroads. What better time to travel the world? A solo honeymoon on the Emerald Isle will be like hitting the reset button. No distractions, no drama.

Add some luck o’ the Irish

Aiden Byrnes may be a literature
ebook
Published September 30th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Write Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Write Escape

Start your review of The Write Escape
Sam (AMNReader)
Antonia basically loses everything in the span of two days--well, not everything...but enough. Her fiance, and then her job. Inspired by her very own romance novel heroine and her supportive family, she takes her own honeymoon.

I'll stop there, you've read this set up. I couldn't remember why I picked up this book (other than the cute couple on the cover) but in the end I remembered, I'm a sucker for remote neighbors in a rustic setting and, well, here we are, in Ireland at Tully Cross.

It's
Jazmen
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I need to read more mature romances. I hate to classify it as such but the truth is the truth, let it settle where it may.

Antonia and Aiden are the type of couple that I aspire to be with my loved one, one day—making mistakes, figuring things out messily, but coming together at the end.

Antonia is engaged to be married, and she’s kind of unhappy; she just doesn’t know it. She works for a publisher while daydreaming of being a writer. A broken engagement, a broken heart, and a pre-planned
Toya
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book that was exactly what you needed in a certain moment? That’s exactly how I felt about reading The Write Escape.

Antonia is in the midst of planning her dream wedding (with a frustrating mother in law) to her fiancé Derek while dealing with the high stress of her publishing job, which is in serious threat of going under. Four days before her wedding, Antonia’s mother makes it known that she doesn’t approve of this union since she doesn’t quite trust Derek, and she didn’t
romancejunkie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Antonia discovers that her fiancee has been cheating on her for months just days before their wedding, so she decides that enough was enough and she woudn't put up with the way he treated her anymore and decides to still go to the planned honeymoon alone. There she meets Aiden and the two are drawn to each other and start a romance. All is good until Aiden father reappears and the fears he had of being abandoned again by someone he cares about makes him move away from her and the relationship ...more
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally had time to finish this great book and it was exactly what I needed.

I loved the scenery of the great landscape, Charish Reid definitely nailed it with the picturesque description and lovely quirky characters in the small town in Ireland where an Irish man isn't just making Antonia going crazy.

Loved the academic part of the book as well as the background about writing and publishing. It gave the book different layers and believable issues to overcome for the MCs.

Right at the end the
Sarah Smith
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I loved this book! It hooked me from the premise: Antonia has just come off from losing her job and her (cheating bastard) fiance, so she decides screw it. She's going on the trip to Ireland that she had originally planned for her honeymoon.

Along the way she bumps into hot college professor Aiden who has the sexiest accent ever (seriously, why did none of my college professors look or sound like Aiden?! ARGH!). They have an adorable meet-cute in a grocery store, find out they're staying
natalie
My rating is more 3.5

I liked this debut and am looking forward to the next book. I always enjoy the whole MC going off to a different place to get away from it all. Especially when they come into their own and we see them learning somethings about themselves.

It also doesnt hurt to have a cute Irish dude next door while doing so. I have to say my fave scene was when Antonia is greeted by the door by a shirtless Aiden. Classic. Also anger cake loool.

Now there were some things I was a bit iffy on.
Charish Reid
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Wait--am I allowed to do this?? Can I just get on here and GIVE MYSELF 5 stars?
*Nervously looks around* Okay, I'm gonna do it.

I love The Write Escape and I had fun writing it. I hope that comes across to readers when they experience it. If you liked reading about the adventures of Antonia and Aiden, aka "Double A," as Avery Flynn coined, please hit up the Goodreads site for my second book Hearts on Hold:

Okay, I better stop there because this definitely
P.e. lolo
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Literary editor Antonia Harper has lost her job and her guy. The guy was her fiancé and after talking to her sister she decides to go on the trip to Ireland anyway. Her sister deals with the canceling and the ex, her mother did not like the guy anyway and after she found out he had been cheating for who knows how long Antonia just wants to begin a new. She also decides to pull out her book that she has stopped and started over the years hopping that she can finally finish it and maybe get it ...more
Really Into This
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Melissa contributed this review to Really Into This

Check out all of our reviews at https://reallyintothis.com
Happy Reading, friends!

Special thanks to Charish Reid & Harlequin for providing our copy in exchange for an honest & fair review.

If you're looking for a romantic tale that centers around a strong, hard-working female protagonist, look no further. The Write Escape by Charish Reid is a wonderful story about love, perseverance & following one's heart. Also, love the fact that it
Tina
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I actually did.

It starts off really strong with the heroine Antonia ready top get married and her fiance showing what an entire ass he is. Also she has some work related drama as she works in a small publishing company that is being derailed by nepotism. And finally, she is a frustrated writer herself. She has a romance novel WIP that she has been working on for awhile and she has some self-doubt about being a committing to it and putting her own work
Jenica
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book early.

The Write Escape is Charish Reid's debut and I have some feelings about it. But first, I guess I should quickly sum up the plot:

Essentially, Antonia (from Chicago, in America) finds out her fiancé is trash and loses her job in the span of approximately 24 hours so she flies to Ireland on a solo honeymoon where she is reminded of her fiancé's trashy qualities and winds up in a cottage adjacent to Aiden. Aiden is an
Cortney
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming little romance about how everything goes wrong until it finally goes right. Antonia and Aiden are two souls dealing with serious baggage.

The novel does a good job of showcasing the vulnerabilities of people just coming out of toxic relationships. The constant questioning of whether or not it’s healthy to start a new relationship if you’re still trying to process the previous one.

I found myself smiling while reading their meet cute. I’m a sucker for the serendipitous meeting and their
Timitra
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanceopoly
The Write Escape is a journey of self discovery, healing and love. The main characters Antonia and Aiden are each carrying emotional baggage and aren't looking but still find each other. I enjoyed their journey. It was cute, sweet and sensual. I'm looking forward to reading more of this author's work.

Copy provided by publisher through Net Galley
Brittany Senger
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Write Escape is the first romance novel I’ve ever read, as I typically gravitate towards the classics, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the read. The Write Escape is rich with intelligence, metaphor, and humor. If you’re looking for a smart, heartwarming, happily-ever-after story to brighten up your week – look no further.

The protagonists, Antonia and Aiden, are extremely relatable and I enjoyed bearing witness to their soul searching. While there are
Abby Green
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this debut romance set in Ireland. I’m very picky about non Irish people writing books set in Ireland - because the cliche and stereotype is usually strong, my friend! - but Charish knocked this out of the park. Really authentic depiction of Ireland & Irish people. In fact, it’s given me a whole new appreciation for my own country and Irish men who somehow never seem to quite live up to their romantic fiction alter egos!
When Antonia, a publisher moonlighting as an aspiring writer flees
Erin
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
American Antonia has just broken off her wedding to a cheater, her publisher employer is in financial trouble, and she needs a change. What could be better than a week or two in rural Ireland? She might not have the fiancé anymore, but she can still enjoy the honeymoon and maybe write her romance novel at last.

Irishman Aiden is in a professional slump as an English lit professor. He decides to head to the countryside for some quiet reflection and no distractions. Only, surprise, the beautiful
Kristen
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, e-arc, romance
In Charish Reid's The Write Escape, this contemporary romance is so wonderfully written and moving and would take you on an amazing journey. For Antonia Harper, she's planning her wedding, working on a historical romance novel, and stuck in her editing job at a small literary press in Chicago. With a shake-up at work, she discovered her fiance Derek Rogers has been cheating on her. She breaks up the wedding and went on an escape to Ireland where she would've spent her honeymoon. During her stay ...more
Teresa Woodard
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the characters and the setting. Both hero and heroine felt authentic to me. Most of the conflict is internal which I like. Plus, it just made me smile. Would read certain scenes again. 4*
Emmalita
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twitter has been talking about Charish Reid’s forthcoming debut novel, The Write Escape. I was happy to receive it as an arc from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Antonia is about to get married, she has a good job in publishing and she is kind of working on her novel. The problem is, her mother doesn’t like her fiance, she doesn’t like her soon to be in laws, and now their are rumors of trouble at her publishing house. In a few short hours, she loses her fiance and her job.

Dr. Aiden
Becca
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-arcs
Loved it. This book was exactly what I needed at the moment. The relationship between Aiden and Antonia was real. They both had emotional baggage that they worked through and accepted about each other. The backdrop of the Irish countryside gave it just enough whimsy. The literary references and jokes were *chef's kiss*. Can't wait to read what Reid writes next.
Sharonda Isadora
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
**Updated

Both Antonia and Aiden are still in the tentative stages of removing themselves from toxic relationships and in their attempts to move forward while vacationing in Ireland on their own separate writing retreats, they end up finding each other.

The Write Escape is a sweet and charming romance. Add in Adian's totally unexpected sexiness (he is a history professor) and man, the heat was church fan worthy. Antonia and Adien connected very well together as characters, the chemistry between
Taryn
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to read The Write Escape that I came out of a two-year Netgalley retirement to request the ARC. I could NOT resist a romance set in Ireland, especially an interracial romance written by a black author. (As you might guess, lots of the Irish books I found as I researched for my own trip there were by and about white people.) And there's so much good book nerdery going on--the heroine is an editor turned novelist, and the hero is an English professor. They have a fun, banter-y ...more
aarya
Cute and promising debut but 1) beginning felt very slow to start as MCs didn’t meet until 20%, 2) I adored Antonia but never felt that the hero deserved her (her POV was far more interesting than his), and 3) I was angry at how the hero’s stupidity of reading her manuscript without permission was mostly unaddressed (she was mad for one page and then the issue went away). I liked it, but didn’t love it.

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
b.andherbooks
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary, romance
**I received a free copy in exchange for a fair review**

Literary editor catches her fiancee cheating just days from their wedding and decides to take the Ireland honeymoon she booked as a writing retreat, a chance to finally give herself the time and space to explore her passion project. The cottage she ends up staying in on the wild sea coast puts her in close proximity with a sexy Irish professor who is also striving to complete his work while struggling with his personal issues. Two lonely
Felicia Grossman
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book. This is a wonderful example of a vacation romance coming to a satisfying and very happy HEA, the kind that the characters deserve. Both Antonia and Aiden are adults that have done quite a few adult things in their lives but haven't quite found happiness.

Antonia, in search of a life that she was supposed tow ant became engaged to a cheating jerk and spent years, instead of writing, working at a publishing house, not unhappy but not satisfied. So, when she actually
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
Probably more truly a 3.5 rounded up.

It took me a few attempts to sync up with the rhythm of Charish Reid’s The Write Escape, perhaps because it’s a contemporary and I’m not so used to their patterns. This may be why I enjoyed the last quarter so much more than the rest, so much so that it redeemed some of the earlier parts of the book.

Aidan Byrne is an English literature lecturer in Galway, still struggling to establish himself at 38. His most recent relationship ended apathetically while his
M
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley.

What a cute and lovely debut novel by Clarish Reid. I really adored the characters, and the beginning of the book made me one happy romance reader, although an angry one on Antonia's behalf. I mean, the emotional scenes with the respective partners/exes were so well done and threw me right into the middle of the story and the characters’ lives.

I liked the way the romance progressed, how it felt slow and deliberate, but was in fact just a couple of
Bethany
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-authors
Aspiring romance author escaping a cheating fiancee plus sexy Irish literature professor equals sparks in The Write Escape. I thought this was a fun story and promising debut, with lots of little details only someone very familiar with academia would think to include. (My husband is actually a professor, so I thought those elements were great.)

Antonia is a Black woman from Chicago who faces a layoff from her publishing job right after discovering her fiancee was cheating on her days before
« previous 1 3 next »

• Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Open House (Uptown, #2)
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • White Whiskey Bargain
  • Work for It (Just for Him, #4)
  • One Bed for Christmas (Baldwin Village, #0.5)
  • Grumpy Jake
  • American Love Story (Dreamers, #3)
  • A Match Made for Thanksgiving (Holidays with the Wongs, #1)
  • Desire and the Deep Blue Sea (Love Unscripted, #1)
  • Lush Money (Filthy Rich #1)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • Tiny House, Big Love (Love Unscripted Book 2)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The A.I. Who Loved Me
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • Her Mistletoe Minotaur: A BWWM Paranormal Holiday Romance (A Very Alpha Christmas Book 1)
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
When Charish Reid isn’t writing romance, she’s watching 1970’s disaster films, reading smut, and hastily preparing lectures for tomorrow’s class. She is a traveling chatterbox who enjoys talking to new people in new places. In Bangkok, Charish saw a Thai royal princess in a shopping mall. In Helsinki, she karaoked Alanis Morissette. And in Galway, she found inspiration for her first novel.

Charish